Electives - State requirements, other categories

cbollin

Electives - State requirements, other categories

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:22 pm

Julie L. wrote:The state of SC says my dc will need 1 to 2 credits in computer science. Does MFW cover that or how would that credit be fulfilled using MFW?

Thanks,
Julie L.
that would have to be an elective. Right now MFW doesn't cover that.... you never know what could change.

My oldest used an online course through Harding University to pick up some programming credits. Then, I figure with library programs, and just being required to use computers for Word, spreadsheets, make a few different things here and there....

*check rainbow resource catalog
*check your public library for free classes!

find out if your state requires "basics" or whatnot. Don't stress out too much on it. I've found that my oldest gets on and starts playing with various word processing software and things like that when making reports that I wouldn't have too much problem with credit by experience on some of it.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Highschool credit question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:37 pm

Computer science can mean just basically learning how to use a mouse and type in Word, all the way up to learning how to program. My son is starting the homeschool program, Computer Science Pure and Simple, which includes a range of things from using Word and Excel, up through simple programming (so far, he's learning how to tell something to go in a square, etc). I figure he needs to do both levels of this program for one high school credit. I have another list of computer programming type resources, if you want that.

But if you want something more basic, sometimes your Word program may have a simple learning program, or your dh may even have a manual from his work. I think it's important to have a child very comfortable on the computer first, working with everything you already have such as Word and Excel and Windows. But after that, kids often start wanting to learn some programming.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

LA in Baltimore

Re: Highschool credit question

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Agreeing with all the others...
Keyboarding, use of word, excel, etc. all were part of Computer Literacy as well.

Also, we liked a program called Computer Science Made Simple. It was designed for homeschoolers. There are two levels and they are "loosely" grade leveled.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

Julie in MN

High School Electives and Categories

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:14 am

8shininglights wrote:Just wondering what some of title your electives for high school. In particular, I am looking for what you have called your "SAT Prep" class. Do you call it that, or is there better name for it? Also, what category does it fall in on a transcript. Is it practical arts? fine arts? other?

What about the logic/thinking skills elective? What is the correct title and category for that course.

One other question....what do you "officially" call on a transcript when your child learns a skill and does the hours on the job and learning necessary for a practical skill?

Thanks for your help!
Lisa
Interesting thread. So far, my son just did the 6 core classes and got 0.5 credit in phy ed, so I'm mostly just going to be joining the chat.

Most transcripts I've seen just have the 4 core categories and then electives. And so most of the things you mentioned would be electives. I don't add to the core categories unless I am very sure, because it looks a little questionable to have, say, two maths in one year (not impossible, but the student should look quite impressive in that case).

If we do the logic books (have them, haven't fit them in), then I planned to call it Introductory Logic, unless I feel at the end that he's done enough to call it just Logic.

We didn't do enough of the SAT book to give him credit, but I do accumulate things and if he does a lot of other things in the study skills/career prep type category, I'll give him credit and pick a name that most describes the body of work. Many schools do give that kind of credit, although sometimes it is for the kids who are not college prep, so I am just waiting on that decision. Some of my son's ps friends had to take some kind of "Study Skills 101" type of class but I don't think it received credit, I'll have to ask them. My son is in a sort-of SAT prep/math team every week, but I'm going to put that on his extra-curriculars rather than counting it towards credit.

Practical skills can go in a variety of directions. Some things I've seen:

(1) Work-study credit, where student is released to go work at a fast food site or such, especially used for struggling kids in junior high but also high school.

(2) Career exploration credit, taking aptitude tests, learning about careers, interviewing professionals, maybe trying some things.

(3) Credit for an in-depth career area, especially in the performing arts, or a mentorship. I went to high school eons ago, but during my last half year, I was in a childcare program where we ran a daycare in the school and then mentored out to a daycare center in the community.

Here is a current local course:
  • Mentor Connection is a highly rigorous seminar based academic program offered for the purpose of preparing senior students for post high school work and experiences in a world that is ever changing. This occurs through immersion in a curriculum premised in 21st century work skills, leadership development, change management process and theory, and experiences in research or work environments. Students are mentored by a professional in the field of the student’s interest and will seek experiences that can connect and align with a May Term experience. Mentors guide students in a challenging individualized learning experience. Applications are available through the counseling office.
    http://www.edina.k12.mn.us/teach/curric ... cfm?cn=334
And a list from our not-so-high-achieving local high school:
  • BASIC ARCHITECTURAL DRAWING
    ARCHITECTURAL AND CONSTRUCTION TRADES
    ARCHITECTURAL DETAIL AND DESIGN
    ENGINEERING DRAFTING BASICS
    ENGINEERING DRAWING II
    WOODWORKING I, II, III, IV
    GENERAL METALS
    METALS PRODUCTION
    SMALL ENGINES I (Introduction to Mechanics)
    SMALL ENGINES II (Skill Development in Mechanics)
    BASIC BLACK AND WHITE PHOTOGRAPHY
    ADVANCED TECHNIQUES IN BLACK & WHITE & COLOR PHOTOGRAPHY (All Students)
    INDUSTRIAL TECHNOLOGY INDEPENDENT STUDY
    TECHNOLOGY EDUCATION AIDE (Service Credit)
(4) Shop class or "family and consumer science" credits such as these offered locally: And from the less advanced school:
  • TEEN ISSUES
    INTERIOR DESIGN
    LIVING ON YOUR OWN
    FASHION
    INTRODUCTION TO FOODS
    CREATIVE FOODS
    CULTURAL FOODS
    The following courses are offered at Hennepin Technical College.
    CHILD DEVELOPMENT CAREERS CLUSTER (LEVEL I & II)
    CULINARY ARTS FOOD SERVICE CLUSTER (LEVEL I & II)
Julie

cbollin

Re: High School Electives and Categories

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:29 am

A resume or portfolio can be one place to include "job" or work study skills that are learned outside of classroom.

Julie in MN

Re: High School Electives and Categories

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:34 pm

8shininglights wrote:Thanks for your time writing out your thoughts, Julie! They were interesting to think through. I have a program for transcripts that I have used with two children that are done high school, and there are categories to say fine arts, practical arts, and then just other. I sometimes wonder what is considered "practical" arts. I have actually seen "Speech" counted as English on other people's transcripts, and I am not sure if that is right????????

I did not use the SAT prep book with my others, so I was not sure what to call that class. Or, can you actually count it as a credit?

My daughter has plenty of credits, so I don't think I will use the work idea for credit at this point because it really isn't necessary. She will probably have 27 credits without counting "odd" things.

Thanks!
Lisa
Lisa,
Sorry my thoughts sometimes drift and I miss some of the essential parts of a question!

(1) Practical arts tend to be some of the classes I listed above -- popularly called family and consumer science, technology, maybe phy ed. I like to do searches, as you may have noticed ;) , and a search for "high school practical arts" turns up many lists, for example these extensive ideas from the "Practical Arts Courses that Meet the Arts High School Graduation Requirement (Florida)"
  • Agriculture
    Floral Design & Marketing
    Food Science, Culinary Arts
    Drafting
    Animation
    Commercial Art Technology
    Photography
    Digital Audio, Video, Film, Television, Gaming, Web Design
    Fabric, Fashion, Interior Design, Cosmetology
    Printing &Graphics Communication
    Early Childhood Ed
    Jewelry Making, Watch Repair
    Engineering
But many transcripts that I've seen, such as the samples at HSLDA (here's an e.g. http://www.hslda.org/highschool/docs/Tr ... ubject.pdf ) don't necessarily categorize that far. It takes space to write a category title on the transcript, and space is at a premium by the time you have a senior.

(2) MFW includes speech as half of the English credit in 12th grade. Here's a copy-paste from the website:
  • Modern Literature/Speech (full year - one semester each)
    Read significant books written after 1850, using the provided book list and the public library, and complete a short book analysis on each. Assigned readings coordinate with historical events being studied. Books are well-known classics. One semester credit.
    Optional: write a research paper (highly recommended for college-bound students).
    Develop speech skills to become an effective communicator for God's Kingdom. Do Hard Things challenges students to become involved and have a passion for change. Secrets of Great Communicators gives students tools to communicate God's heart to others. One semester credit.
(3) You can count the SAT prep as a credit, if you do a credit's worth of work with it. The MFW way of using it would probably result in a semester credit but be done over 3 years. There are other ways to do it, of course, and other things to add in if you like. I'm just noting the time for now and seeing whether a credit emerges at our house.

Hoping more folks feel like chatting this holiday week :)
Julie

MelissaB

Photography

Unread post by MelissaB » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 pm

bujah4 wrote:My 13yo ds is very interested in photography and could possibly pursue it as a college major. I thought it would be good to take photography as an elective and earn some credits in high school especially if he is interested in photography or photo journalism in college. Does anyone know of any photography courses I could have him do? Here in Japan, there aren't really any local high schools or co-ops he could join so I'm pretty much on my own for finding things for him to do.
Thanks!
Eryn
Yes, http://www.Lynda.com. My husband is currently taking the photography tutorial at this site. It will teach the photography course based on the camera you own (assuming it's a nice camera), or you can take a basic photography course with lighting instruction, etc. Excellent program. Highly recommend it.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Re: Photography

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:57 pm

I'm glad Melissa chimed in with real-life experience. I was just going to share random places you can find Photography ideas, since we toyed with the idea at one time.

1. 4H or Boy Scouts
2. HSLDA lists a class on their website (scroll down to Fine Arts/Photography) http://www.hslda.org/highschool/curriculum.asp
3. Amanda Bennett's Digital Photography Unit Study (hers are pretty loose suggestions)
4. homeschool online classes like Landry Academy and Oak Meadow
5. websites like PhotographyForHomeschoolers or Photography for Kids at AtoZ Homes Cool Homeschooling
6. home projects like making a family calendar; or taking and touching up photos for Christmas gifts (my husband and son did this in about 8th grade)
7. entering HSLDA's photo contest or other local contests
8. community center type classes
9. The Teaching Company has a Fundamentals of Photography course (lectures, and you'd likely have to fill in the rest) (only get these on sale or at your library)

And just some other details I have kept:

Photography as fine arts credit
http://www.encyclopedia.com/html/p/photogrph.asp

Photo analysis worksheet
http://www.archives.gov/education/lesso ... ksheet.pdf

Vocational lesson plans library
http://www.khake.com/page87.html

Maybe a tidbit in there will help?
Julie

filupsd

Re: Photography

Unread post by filupsd » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I found this course at a convention in Oklahoma last year. I did talk to the young lady and she seemed to have it all together but I have not used it.

Photographic L.I.G.H.T.
Collette Storkel
collettephotography.com
filupsd
Married to the most beautiful teacher for 26 years.
two ds C1 25yo & C2 14yo
we have used Preschool - Modern & back to ECC and now High School