Placement - 11th grade, jump in? what to fit in?

Bret Welshymer

Placement - 11th grade, jump in? what to fit in?

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:56 pm

erialicia wrote:Can you tell me how difficult it would be to start MFW highschool 11th grade if we have never used MFW before? We have our own writing curriculum, math and science, but I am seriously considering MFW 11th grade
Beginning MFW high school in 11th grade will be an easy transition in most cases. This is because the lesson plans are easy-to-use with specific assignments in each subject each day of the week.

It is important to consider credits completed in 9th and 10th grade when choosing the MFW high school program to use. Most 11th graders will begin with US History to 1877, assuming ancient history and world history have already been studied. To get the most out of US History to 1877 students should be 16 or 17 years old. Thinking Like a Christian usually requires the maturity of a 16 or 17 year old to understand and apply the concepts. The staff at MFW welcome your phone call to answer placement questions.

DS4home

Re: Jumping into 11th grade

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:59 pm

The high school years are written to the student, giving them the independence to use the checkoff grid themselves, checking off work when completed. It is very user friendly. It tells the student exactly what pages to read on which day, and gives them further explanation in notes on the page facing the grid, when that is needed. So the manual itself is easy to just pick up and go.

Is that what you were looking for, or is your question more content based? I haven't used 11th grade yet, so I can't really share that side of it. Maybe someone more qualified can chime in? :)

Dawn

I see Bret was answering at the same time. A call to the office is always a good idea !!
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Bret Welshymer

Could an 11th grader jump in at US- 1877?

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:03 am

HSmommi2mine wrote:We are putting together a co-op and considering offering MFW for HS level. I was thinking that I could manage to teach 2 levels of MFW HS, but I doubt we will have enough families out of the gate to do 4 HS classes.

My thought was to offer AHL for 9th and 10th graders and US-1877 to 11th if there is interest. I know the recommendation officially is that students do AHL first, but let's assume they got Ancient history along the way...... Would it be messy to jump in at the half-way point? My main concern is the writing skills really. That is the major skill area (vs. content subject) covered in the High School programs.

What writing skills would an 11th grader need to jump into US-1877?
By 11th grade we are assuming that high school students are pretty much independent writers. In AHL we focus on writing a strong 5-paragraph argumentative essay, in addition to original psalms and proverbs and other informal assignments. In WHL we use Writers INC for instruction on writing a detailed research paper and a variety of other types of composition written in response to the literature.

In 11th grade the writing focuses is on literary analysis of early American literature related to the worldview presented by the author. The writing ties in closely with what is being studied in Biblical worldview. There are a greater number of shorter writing assignments. As long as a student has writing experience similar to what is covered in AHL and WHL, he will do fine in US History to 1877.

Bret Welshymer

AHL with older students

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm

HSmommi2mine wrote:I know there aren't a ton of moms on here with High Schoolers, but I am looking for experiences with using AHL in the 10 - 12 grades. We are starting a co-op and trying to decide if we should offer AHL for 9/10th and US - 1877 for 11/12th or if this first year we can just offer AHL and it would be enough for our upper classmen (some of whom had US history last year at a co-op that is restructuring).

Any experience or opinions would be appreciated. We have our first info meeting next week and I want to be able to answer questions about the program as completely and knowledgeably as possible, considering I have yet to actually use it. Thank you!
Two of my children have used AHL. I believe there is plenty of work and challenge in AHL for 11th and 12th graders. Older students can get even more insight about Biblical worldview from writing the argumentative essays because they have more developed critical thinking and analysis skills. The value of reading the entire Old Testament with daily application questions is a benefit at any age. The apologetics in Unwrapping the Pharaohs and New Answers challenged me as a parent. The timeline is invaluable for integrating Bible and ancient history. The classic ancient literature will help prepare students for ACT/SAT exams and give them context for reading literature from later time periods.

gratitude

Re: AHL with older students

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:07 am

Bret Welshymer wrote: The apologetics in Unwrapping the Pharaohs and New Answers challenged me as a parent. The timeline is invaluable for integrating Bible and ancient history.
We are parents of young children who happen to own both of the books mentioned above. They are both excellent resources for any high school student or adult. Especially the Unwrapping Pharaoh book. Our copy came with a DVD that is simply excellent in its presentation and knowledge and willingness to acknowledge the Bible as truth, and use it as its starting place and as a history spine. David Downs, an anthropologist, does a wonderful job of showing the truth of the Bible time-line, and how anthropology ties into it. The footage of the DVD is in Egypt and the pyramids, etc.

cbollin

Starting with WHL/Notgrass - 11th grader

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:43 am

Home@School wrote:We would like to use World History/Lit for our 11th grade son. This will be his first time using MFW for High School (he completed ECC and CTG a few years ago).

Does anyone think he will be missing too much of the world history presented in Notgrass to start where MFW begins, or should he go through Notgrass and incorporate MFW when he reaches that point? Does World History/Lit in High School stand alone, or must it follow Ancient History/Lit? I understand the program builds upon itself, but when one departs and comes back is it still successful?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,
couple of random thoughts... take them with a grain of salt as my daughter has only done ahl and doesn't start whl for a few more weeks.

You could consider doing AHL in 11th and then WHL in 12th. Not only is it the history aspect, but the entire Old Testament is read and studied in AHL and then NT in WHL. love alphabet soup, don't you. LOL LOL

If you decide to do WHL without AHL, you can skim the Notgrass readings through chpt with Greeks. Is it necessary? well.. a touch of review/refresh the brain can't hurt in the summer? I wouldn't worry about other assignments in the Notgrass. It's been a while since the student did CTG, so it might be just enough to review.

Other things in MFW that build on each other: English writing and literature, and Bible sequence.

But I would get a 2 year plan in mind for 11th and 12th.
Make sure you have the social studies/econ/gov't credits that you want your child to have before graduation. Talk with MFW office with one of their high school, senior consultants and make sure you have a plan in mind for what you'd do in12th grade if you do WHL in 11th given that you've done US history and geography courses in other high school years with other materials.

-crystal

Bret Welshymer

Re: Starting with WHL/Notgrass

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:04 pm

Year 2, WHL, does stand alone. Using WHL as an 11th grader will work well. Year 1, AHL, is not a prerequisite. However, I would agree with Crystal's thoughts about the benefits of doing both AHL and WHL over the next two years if time allows. If you will need a credit of US history in 12th grade, please call our office for details on how to do that (573-426-4600).

Julie in MN

Re: Starting with WHL/Notgrass

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:21 pm

I wouldn't worry at all about what he'll miss in Notgrass.

However, I would be sad that he wouldn't have the time set aside to read the entire Old Testament, and that he wouldn't get some of the apologetics in the New Answers Book and the Pharaohs book and generally comparing ancient literature to the OT.

I'm glad to hear he's done CTG, so maybe he's already on board with creation and the fall away from God, which is so important to understanding history. But you might want to have him read some of the New Answers Book if you have any free time.

So much good stuff to read and so little time :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Is it possible to start MFW in 11th grade?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:20 pm

eyoung wrote:First before my questions I would like to introduce myself. This is my first post! I'm a mom to 3 ages 17, 15, and 5. My kindergarten boy is currently using MFW K and we are loving it! I'm very excited to hear of the updates to come to MFW First Grade. We have always home schooled. We did use MFW ECC years ago when our oldest two were in 7th and 5th grades.

Now thoughts and questions....

I am so drawn to the MFW high school books for several reasons... the biblical integration - not just as an afterthought, a schedule for my daughter to follow that's written to her, apologetics, integrated writing assignments. However, with that being said we only need 2 more history credits - world and us. We have already completed State History, World Geography, Government, and Economics will be next semester. So, could we use World History and Literature for her Junior Year? How important is is to get the first nine units of Notgrass completed? I already have these books because 17ds did those his 10th grade year. We could probably get the Old Testament book and work thru it now and thru the summer. I keep going around and around with possible solutions. Anyone want to help me think thru some options, please?? Also, would it be possible to do the US History in one year since we will have already completed Government and Economics? I do have SL core 100 (American History) but I'm not sure about using it again. I would rather do MFW if it would work. I would love any input, thoughts and suggestions you have. Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome! I have an 11 year gap between my sons, as well.

To answer your question, yes, you can begin MFW in 11th grade. There are several posts on this thread by Bret in the office, who welcomes phone calls about high school. I believe one of his kids was in 11th grade when they began homeschooling.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10338

Bret's family started in AHL, I believe. That is a good year due to the foundation of reading the entire OT, beginning apologetics, and getting foundational writing instruction. I personally might make this decision according to whether my student had read the entire Bible, rather than on social studies plans, but that was one of my big goals in homeschooling.

Starting in WHL would work, as well. Personally, I wouldn't worry about missing part of Notgrass at all. If you decide, your student can read the missed chapters. However, I don't consider them central to AHL at all, myself.

Then for 12th, your student would probably do most of US1 and a bit of US2, but Bret would know more about how to do that. We're just finishing up week 1 of US1 and it's a good year from what I can tell. You do stop in the middle of the US history and do a semester of government. If your student doesn't need that, he'd probably skip over that and finish up the US history in that year, and then move on to the rest of the textbook. So he'd be "off the grid" a bit there, but he'd have done enough to know the pattern and likely could do it without using white-out in the manual :) and maybe even without the instructions in the US2 manual, although I can't tell for sure yet.

Best wishes as you begin a new adventure!
Julie

eyoung

Re: Is it possible to start MFW in 11th grade?

Unread post by eyoung » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:30 am

Julie in MN wrote:Bret's family started in AHL, I believe. That is a good year due to the foundation of reading the entire OT, beginning apologetics, and getting foundational writing instruction. I personally might make this decision according to whether my student had read the entire Bible, rather than on social studies plans, but that was one of my big goals in homeschooling.
Thanks, Julie for the link to the past posts and for the welcome! I read over those last night and gleaned lots of good information but your words I quoted above have really got me thinking! My dd has not read the OT all the way thru just parts here and there. I feel sad that I have somehow gotten away from the fact that the Bible should come first not academics. Actually, I'm feeling very heartbroken over this! We do study the Bible. However, it just feels like an add on and not "the main thing."

Here are some thoughts I have this morning regarding using AHL... just brainstorming out loud....

1. Order the Books I need for AHL now. (I already own some of them.)
2. Do the Bible portion together as a family, continuing thru the summer.
3. Do as much of the Ancient History/Literature as possible and give her the credit for the portions she has completed. I needed something for Lit/writing next semester anyway.
4. We are ok on writing skills but it could always be improved.
5. I am praying for God's wisdom to guide in this decision!!! (that should have been the #1. :) )

I would love to hear what you think!

Erica
Erica - Mom to 3; 17 year old ds, 15 year old dd, 5 year old ds
*Currently using MFW K
*Used ECC with two oldest in 7th/5th grade

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:40 am

I like your idea of getting the AHL lesson plans and doing the OT as a family, plus doing the related the writing credit, which he needs anyways. You'd have a do-able schedule, and those good essay topics to think about.

We did most of the OT together as a family at our house, using an audiobook, and that time was precious to me. Here's what we did:
a. All of the OT "history" together from Genesis through Chronicles plus the semi-historical books like Job and Esther. To reinforce and remember, we used family discussion and my son typed a brief daily summary.
b. Ds did Psalms and Proverbs on his own, mostly by listening to Uncle Rick as he went to sleep - one of his favorite things :) And, he did the rest of the poetry and all the Prophets on his own as well.

You could also just dig into AHL now and save anything left-over for Bible time in US1. I prefer doing the entire OT straight through rather than jumping to the NT & back in the middle, but doing all of the Old Testament on top of the Worldview study in US1 might be a lot, although of course an 11th grader is different than a 9th grader. And my ds does love the Bible.

When we've had to adjust due to life circumstances, God has always blessed us anyways :)
Julie

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:11 am

another welcome along over here!

I would also encourage you to call MFW office directly and ask to speak with Bret Welshymer. He's been there, done some of this. His son started homeschooling in middle of 10th grade (not 11th).. but still had to do some tweaking to combine US1 and US2.

The lesson plans for US1 Bible time include student initiated Bible reading. During that year US1, students could also read the OT. It's another time in the program where a student has the time to read OT.

Erica, I think your best option is to call MFW for your unique situation and develop a 2.5 year plan.

-crystal

eyoung

Unread post by eyoung » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks Crystal for the warm welcome and the suggestions to call the office. I wasn't able to make a call today...crazy cell phone signals in the country! Anyway, I did email and Lucy contacted me back. She suggested to start WHL in the 11th grade and then call the office when we get ready for US History and they will help me with combining. I think from looking at the samples of US History, it might not be too hard to do that. Not sure, though!

I am still thinking on when to read the OT. I plan to talk to my husband and see what he thinks. (That's always a good idea! :-) )
We may go ahead and do that with the family and possibly use the New Answers Book too. My 17 ds loves Ken Ham! So that would be good for him too before college!

I so wish that I had thought about starting MFW in 9th grade!!! I love to start things at the beginning but I think for our particular situation trying to fit in the Ancients might be too stressful. So I'm hesitant to start it. I'm still praying about what to do there. Thanks for sharing some thoughts with me. I really appreciate you and Julie and Lucy for helping me! I am sure I will have more questions later!

Erica
Erica - Mom to 3; 17 year old ds, 15 year old dd, 5 year old ds
*Currently using MFW K
*Used ECC with two oldest in 7th/5th grade

Julie in MN

MFW high school

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:13 am

secondchance wrote:We are praying about bringing our 2 oldest children home from ps next year. They are ages 14 & 15 and will be in grades 9 & 11 next year. For the 9th grader, we would use MFW-AHL. But I am not sure where we should place our 11th grader if we were to use MFW. She has had American History and a World Affairs class so far in high school. Should she start at the beginning of the high school sequence, or would she jump into the 3rd year.

If anyone out there reads this and would say a pray for us. This is a huge leap of faith. But then again, we made a huge leap of faith this year bringing the 3 youngest home, and although it has not been w/out it's challenges, God is working, and I see changes in my kids that I would not have believed possible. Thank you MFW for such a Christ-centered curriculum, and for helping to point my family back to God.
Debbie
Hi Debbie,
I brought home my dd in 10th grade. I need to be honest and admit that dd was not happy to come home. However, I think now that she's a mom, she understands my viewpoint as a mother. And I will always feel I did the best thing for her.

Anyways, there was no MFW high school at that time, but my personal goal was to get the entire Bible into her, in order, as a whole. So if MFW had been available, I would have started with AHL, no matter the grade. That's my bias :) AHL is written for grades 9-12, and it doesn't sound like your oldest has had ancient history, so I think it might be a good fit for you. Also, it might be a nice transition year for coming home to school and figuring out where your child is at, since it's written for a wider age range, rather than getting into the later years written for definitely older kids.

Then in 12th she might want to do WHL for the entire New Testament

Or, maybe in 12th she'll need to work out Government and/or Economics? MFW schedules Gov in US1 and Econ in US2, but I think MFW can explain how to take those parts of US1 and US2 and make them work in one year, not sure? I do know Economics-In-A-Box can be purchased separately, so if your 11th grader has room for an elective either this coming year or next year, she might even consider doing Econ as an extra even if she's not doing US2. I'd just make sure she doesn't have too many extras, AND of course I wouldn't do Econ this year if she plans to do US2 next year, because Economics is all planned out in US2 (the other semester of US2 is US history 1877-present).

If she did do US2 in 12th, I think there is room that year for a personal Bible reading plan, so the New Testament could fit in there, too, if that's not already been read. I haven't done US2, so I hope you hear from someone who has or call the office and talk to them, but it's a possibility anyways.

If she has already read the Bible cover-to-cover, then I like the worldview coverage in US1 (both in Bible and in English).

So as you can see, many choices but all good :) Maybe make a list of priorities, both academic and spiritual? Prayers,
Julie

DS4home

Re: MFW high school

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:48 am

When placing a high schooler, I think its good to keep the big picture in front of you as far as what is required and how many electives are needed, etc. At our public high school they only require 2 years of soc/history, one of them being American history. If it were me, I would consider my dd has already met the history requirement and then look at what would be good electives.

I'm with Julie in suggesting a focus on the Bible for her last 2 years of high school. Of course she will get the English credit along with it and you'll know what science she may still need, as well as math. But I think spending 2 years reading through and really studying the Bible and Ancient History is invaluable! Plus they would get the bonus of a built in classmate if you start your freshman in AHL at the same time :)

Some late night thoughts,
Time for bed,
Dawn
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

Bret Welshymer

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:54 am

Debbie,

I have two children who completed MFW HS and two older that did not. In addition to great academics, by using MFW HS our children got the important benefit of growing in their understanding of a Biblical worldview at a more mature level. This understanding has prepared them to better handle today's culture as they have moved toward adulthood. For our family this was the greatest benefit of using MFW HS.

Because your older child has completed a year of US history, I would agree with Julie's recommendation to complete Ancient History and Literature (11th) and World History and Literature (12th). This plan will give give her the blessing of reading through the entire Bible at an older age with personal application, a study of apologetics and archeological discovers related to the history and literature being studied, a strong foundation in composition as literature read is analyzed from a Biblical perspective, and the chance to observe God's hand in history from Creation to present. As Julie suggested, you will need to add the US government from US History to 1877 and possibly the economics from US History 1877 to the Present. Both can be done fairly easily. Please call the office (573-202-2000) if you would like to understand the specifics for doing this.

secondchance

Unread post by secondchance » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:51 pm

Thank you, everyone, for your insight into using MFW high school. If I could, I would pull them out now and bring them home. I think my head is spinning about the whole idea of high school at home. If I homeschool them for high school, anything we do at home (or outside of an accredited school) would not count for any high school credits. So how do you make what you do at home good enough for your child to be accepted by a college? I think I'm concerned that they will be able (especially my oldest) to transition out of public school. Because once I pull them out, there can be no going back, because anything we do at home the school district will not give credit for. Truthfully, I want them out, and never want to put them back in, but I am sooo nervous.
Thanks!
Debbie

DS4home

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:27 pm

Our high school will not give credit for any work done at home either, but colleges do!
As homeschoolers we still count credits for our high school students and then we are responsible for creating their transcripts that get sent to college admissions. The colleges we have looked at, are looking for a record of classes studied (transcript), and an ACT/SAT score.

When counting a credit you have a couple of options. If they are using a high school level text in a subject, you can count that as a credit when they are done with the book (or at least 80% done). Another option is to count hours spent on that subject. Watch the clock and keep track every day, and when you get to around 120 - 150 hours that will equal a credit.

That may be more than you asked for :~

Dawn

momonthemove

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:50 am

This is off topic a bit, but when I was reading about your "nervousness", it made me think of this book.
The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling Teens, by Debra Bell
I just started reading it this week and it is answering some of my nervousness about homeschooling through high school.

Good luck.!
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

secondchance

Unread post by secondchance » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:40 pm

Hi again,
Thank you again for weighing in on the high school topic.

Dawn, actually the info that you gave was very helpful. I guess I had never thought of the credits in that light, that it's the colleges who really are looking at this stuff.

And Deb, thank you for the book suggestion. Coincidence, but I ordered that book also and just received it. It looks good, can't wait to really get into it. I've heard Debra Bell speak and she really has insight into hs'ing high school.

This is a big step of faith, and I'm feeling kind of alone.
Thanks for your encouragement and suggestions.
Debbie

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:08 pm

It is scary. Our local public school won't give credit for home classes, either, so to some extent it's all or nothing. Fortunately for me, I was pushed into homeschooling by a failing 9th grader, so it wasn't as scary then, and now with my youngest I am quite comfortable here :)

But I agree whole-heartedly with Dawn -- colleges are not high schools, and it's colleges (or other careers) you want to focus on, not high schools. I know it depends on the college, so if you have your heart set on a certain college you might want to check out their particular expectations. I've heard of some state colleges trying to buckle down on unprepared college freshmen by constructing extremely rigid rules, and I've heard of some extremely competitive colleges being able to set the bar extremely high. But in general, colleges have test scores to verify mommy grading -- and even verify public school grading. Most colleges have a testing preference but will accept either -- you can choose the SAT (more of a general thinking/IQ type test) or ACT (more of a knowledge base test).

You can also show colleges your student's abilities by enrolling your student in a class in a local college of some sort. My son applied to two Christian colleges last spring and has now taken courses through both of them during 11th grade. He isn't a superstar academic, doesn't like to read, doesn't like pencils, but he's a good person, has a variety of interests, has a better grasp on what learning is than he realizes due to homeschooling, knows when to work hard, and is liked by his professors. Your student doesn't need to be perfect, but building on personal strengths and working on personal weaknesses in the home setting seems to me to be more useful than following along with the pack in a ps building :) And the character building of MFW high school is top-notch, I think.

Also Deb's idea of reading homeschooling books might help you immerse yourself in the feeling that homeschooling is a big force now and you aren't this tiny unknown quantity any more.

About transitions, it depends a lot on whether your child "wants" to learn at home. I don't think either of my homeschooled kids really wanted to learn at home, so in that case, transitions can be hard. I built on the helpful traditions that the school had already put in them -- school hours and taking school seriously, rather than giving a lot of free time to them, so they felt it was "real school" at home. But within that, I tried to show that we had many more choices, both in what we studied and how we studied. Kids who want to come home may get excited about doing things differently. However, kids who don't want to come home may want to do things they way they are used to, so they can get done without much thinking, as they may have been able to do in the past, and change can be less welcome. For them, the first thing I changed was Bible time, ideally together with dad in the evenings, or together as a homeschool in the mornings, or if necessary just chatting about it after they have read on their own. In the end, I have always just felt, and told my children, that I must do the very best thing I know for them, because that is my job. And looking back, I am glad that I did.

Julie

DS4home

How to finish High School

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:23 am

Missy OH wrote:I have two boys that will be in 11th and 12th grades next year. They have credits in World History (Notgrass), American History, Economics, and the older one also has done Ancient history using Streams which we are considering calling a Geography year. Technically they only need Government. They have strong composition skills and will be doing a research paper to finish out the year.

I want to do AHL with them. I do want to skip using the Notgrass World History book. Do you think this is a possibility? I really just want to use AHL for Bible and English. The following year I would like to do the same with WHL.
I think your plan is very doable. The AHL program only uses the first 9 units of Notgrass, scattered throughout the whole year, very easy to eliminate if you already did it. Most of the history comes from the other books in the package. If you look at the sample pages from AHL, you will be able to see how the subjects are scheduled on the grid. The first line going across is your Bible. The third line is the history readings. The second line between them is a mixture of Bible and history readings, because there is so much overlap when the Bible is history ;) . Then you see a thick gray line, and below that is your English credit of literature and composition.

So all that to say again, I think your plan could work just fine! The English is separated nicely to be able to do just that. The Bible gets mixed into history sometimes, so you would just need to look through the grid each week and maybe highlight what parts you would want completed. Don't miss the Daniel study, it is done along side other Bible readings, so it's not scheduled on the 1st line. That sort of thing...

Dawn

MFW-Lucy

Re: How to finish High School

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:37 am

Dear Missy,

I agree with Dawn that this is definitely doable. Please call our office to help you with your plan. Please ask for Bret or Lucy and we will walk you through a plan to make sure you have the credits you need for each child. We can be reached at 573-202-2000.

We look forward to speaking with you!

Lucy

Missy OH

Re: Can someone refresh my memory? (AHL)

Unread post by Missy OH » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:49 am

Ok. After typing this out and thinking it through some more, I have decided to do Logic for the other half credit.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and have them read Ancient world when it is indicated to refresh them on the other cultures going on at the time of their Bible readings. I will have them do the mapping activities, too because my younger son does not have a geography credit. I will combine this with the World History (encyclopedia) book in WHL and mapping for our geography requirement.

We will not be reading What On Earth Am I Here For? so which other book would you recommend that MFW carries should my boys not miss before they graduate?

Julie in MN

Can someone refresh my memory? (AHL in 11th + parts of others))

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:26 am

Missy OH wrote:I am coming back to use AHL for my 11th and 12th graders. I am using it for bible and lit only.

I need to know if there is a grammar review and how thorough it is. I remember when my older son used this there was grammar review with Notgrass but we will not be using Notgrass. We need to have some grammar review this year as they are already getting rusty. If not, I'm looking at either buying the easy grammar book or the All-In-One book. Do you think the All-In-One book would be ok? It would be a lot cheaper and I don't really want to make photocopies. I also plan on adding EFTRU since my younger dc will be using this.

Government is the only social studies these two students have left to go. I will not have the TM from US History, and I would like to know if I could do Under God on it's own? Would I also need to add Never Before?

Also, would adding Thinking Like a Christian be too much? What would I call this on a transcript? Or I could do Secrets of Great Communicators since we have not done speech. I also remembered these two have not done logic either. So what to choose?

They will be doing:
Math
Science
Bible
English
Rosetta Stone
Fine Arts & Logic
Government

Ok. After typing this out and thinking it through some more, I'm going to go ahead and have them read Ancient world when it is indicated to refresh them on the other cultures going on at the time of their Bible readings. I will have them do the mapping activities, too because my younger son does not have a geography credit. I will combine this with the World History (encyclopedia) book in WHL and mapping for our geography requirement.

We will not be reading What On Earth Am I Here For? so which other book would you recommend that MFW carries should my boys not miss before they graduate?
Hi Missy,
Here are some random thoughts as I read through your post.

1. Your list of credits looked like 6.5 credits, and 6 is a full load at the schools where I live, so I'd only add if you felt your students needed more credits or wanted more challenge.

2. All-In-One is a very basic intro to the parts of speech. If you want your focus to be on getting those down solidly, then it could work. But most 11th-12th graders are ready for something more like Applications of Grammar (MFW 8th grade recommendation) or the 11th grade Easy Grammar review book (in US1).

AHL does have grammar in the Lit Supplement. After the student writes his first essay, I believe, there are lessons about going back and working on things like changing subject pronouns to nouns for better formal writing, etc. Then at the end of the year, there are some weeks of grammar, as well.

I considered those my son's "grammar work" in AHL. The Notgrass points are not put into use so those didn't go very far with my boy. A more inquisitive girl, for instance, might apply them or discuss them...

I like the idea of adding EFRU for older students in AHL (AHL itself was enough of a challenge in bringing my 9th grader up to the high school level, but there would be more room in 11th-12th grades).

3. The office would probably be the most reliable source on the government credit. I believe the answer key is inside the US History Answer Key so you'd need to get that even if you aren't doing the bulk of US1 history. I also think the grading sheet is in the US1 manual, and maybe the project assignments. I can't really check my copies because this changed this year, when the publisher did some expensive revision so MFW chose to do a few things differently in order to save costs for the customer.

Never Before is used for several weeks of the MFW Government credit. If you look at the US1 sample, and go to the table of contents (or "Lesson Overview"), you can see how it is scheduled. The focus of Never Before is a very detailed and historical (not modern) understanding of our founding fathers and the issue of religion in the constitution. It's readable but also gives exact quotes and full documents, so it doesn't sound like someone's story or opinion. I recommend it! But as to whether you would require it, I can't give a good opinion because we haven't done Under God yet.

4. Speech would be another half credit (MFW uses Secrets and Do Hard Things). If your kids already have a full English credit, then I think speech is not critical, but optional according to your needs and interests.

5. The geography in WHL is all planned out and comes to 0.25 credit. That is what I put on my son's transcript. The AHL mapping is not as much, but I would think if you added that and a couple other things (current events? Operation World? the rest of the maps in the map book, or some research on topics in there), you could give 0.5 credit.

6. I think you could sub lots of the MFW books for What On Earth. Hopefully someone will give a more specific answer than that :) Oh, one faith-in-practice book we enjoyed was Brother Andrew's The Narrow Road (ECC supplement), if you haven't read that. My son is reading Assumptions now and seems to think it's good - sort-of a follow-up to Thinking Like a Christian.

7. Thinking Like a Christian, hmmm, that's worth a full 0.5 credit, in my opinion. You could kind of get an idea of the weekly plan in the US1 sample online. I think my favorite part was teaching the lesson at the beginning of each chapter, because there were some activities that took my son from "I already know that," to "really? everything's related to a Christian worldview?" But a kid who paid more attention to his reading might get that from just the textbook and workbook - my youngest definitely gets more out of conversation, and during this busy year for him, he did better with a more scripted conversation than just stopping to chat with mom.

Well, I hope I didn't take a long time to say little ;)
Julie