Placement - 11th grade, jump in? what to fit in?

Missy OH

Re: Can someone refresh my memory? (AHL in 11th + parts of others)

Unread post by Missy OH » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Julie,

Thanks! You are right. They would be earning 6.5 credits with the Government study. I'm going to hold off until the second semester to do Government and I will call the office to figure that one out. I'm going to not do the geography study. I have next year to fit it in with my younger son so I will wait. I will go ahead and do the Logic books the first semester. I did those with my oldest son and they were a lot of fun and didn't take much time. This will give them 7.0 credits, but I don't see this year as being very hard with the English. I think it will work out.

Thanks for letting me talk this out.
Julie in MN wrote:Any time, fun to have a chat.

Julie in MN

High School question for 11th grade

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:26 am

RB wrote:
Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:01 pm
We used MFW for 5 great years, then decided to try a popular classical program as our kiddos were nearing high school. While there have been some benefits, I think we've lost the heart of our homeschool and we all desperately miss the bible and history that was always central with MFW. So...next year we are strongly leaning toward returning! This is perfect timing for #2, who will begin high school and can complete all 4 MFW programs.

But my oldest is going to be in 11th grade. I will call the office to get feedback, but I'm also curious about ideas from this great board :)
Welcome back!
RB wrote:My leaning is to have her do AHL and WHL, because studying the entire bible would be so, so wonderful. She could do a biblical worldview course as an elective or summer camp.
I'd totally agree. There's something about having them dive into the whole thing at the high school level and own it for themselves... to me, it feels like a good start to adulthood.
RB wrote:11th grader will have already completed 1 semester each of American Government and Economics, 1 full year of American Lit/Composition, a random social studies credit, and she's on track with Math, Science, foreign language, electives etc.
...The only real hole I see is American History.
A few questions:

1. Does the random social studies credit duplicate either ancient history or world history?

2. Are you satisfied enough with her completed electives that you'd consider using American History as her final elective? Is she finished with foreign language?

3. Could she handle a reading-heavy elective at the same time that she may be preparing for ACT testing, writing college admission essays, etc.?

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Poohbee

Re: High School question for 11th grade

Unread post by Poohbee » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:57 am

I have an idea for you as to how you could add some American history. Since your daughter already took American Govt. and American lit., she has some background already about the early days of our nation. Perhaps you could have your daughter watch DVDs to get the rest of her American history. Here are two sets you could use:
  • The American Heritage Series with Historian David Barton (available on CBD)
  • America: The Story of Us by the History channel (available on Amazon)
If you decide to go with AHL and WHL, you could supplement the DVDs for American history throughout those 2 years.

Just one idea for you as to how you could add some American history.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

RB

Unread post by RB » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Thank you so much for "chatting" about this!

Julie, The random Social Studies credit is not history. Last year (9th grade for my daughter) they did a semester of current events, and a semester of Mock Trial. I'm still undecided about whether to give HS credit for these.

Ideally she will still do two years of foreign language (Spanish) plus 1/2 credit Health and 1/2 credit Worldview in addition to the main subjects. It might be hard to add a full year of American History during 11th or 12th without taking something away.

I also though about having her do AHL for Bible and English, but substituting American History for Ancient History. Has this been done? I hate to compromise the integration of subjects and the "open and go" schedule, but it's with considering.

Jen, Your video idea is intriguing! I would love for her to get some credit for Amer History this year, since she's already entrenched in the American Classics (including just about all of the lit books from High School Year 3) and she read a ton of primary source documents in the fall. Do you think one of those video sets would be enough to tie it all together and give some official credit? They look so interesting!! Could she even take the CLEP test?

Thanks again, Ladies :)
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:37 pm

RB wrote:The random Social Studies credit is not history. Last year (9th grade for my daughter) was a mixed class of 8th and 9th. They did a semester of current events, and a semester of Mock Trial. I'm still undecided about whether to give HS credit for these.
Good to know that Ancient & World history haven't been done.

By the way, you would know whether these were high school level, but I gave my son 0.5 credit in Civics because he did a lot of mock trial type things, plus some other reading etc beyond his Government credit. (The books MFW uses for some of gov. might help fill out the credit -- reading through Never Before in History or doing some of the projects in Under God.)
RB wrote:I also though about having her do AHL for Bible and English, but substituting American History for Ancient History. Has this been done? I hate to compromise the integration of subjects and the "open and go" schedule, but it's with considering.
I haven't heard of this being done, but it seems like a possibility. You might have the oldest read through the timeline that the younger student is putting together, to sort-of place the Bible and literature into a historical time frame.

Ancient history is not always studied in high school, so it seems the more logical place to sub -- world history is much more commonly seen in high school, so you might want to hang onto that credit.
RB wrote:Your video idea is intriguing!
I agree the video ideas are intriguing. I'd want to add some sort of reinforcement, whether taking detailed notes or writing essays or doing further research. Otherwise, the brain tends to discard what we have heard only once.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 am

About the videos for American history: I agree with Julie that you would want to have your daughter perhaps take notes while watching or write some essays to respond to what she's learning or something like that. It would help her remember the material better, but also, just being practical, you need a way to assign a grade. :-)

I wanted to let you know, too, that for the series America: The Story of Us, you can go to the website history dot com and they have study guides for each episode which contain vocabulary words, discussion questions, and a primary source document that goes with the episodes. I'm not sure if anything like that exists for the American Heritage series, but I love that the American Heritage series explores the founding and history of our nation from a Biblical and Christian perspective. I think it focuses more on the Spiritual heritage of our nation. So, I think it would be neat to incorporate both video series if you are able. I believe you can watch the episodes for America: The Story of Us right on the History Channel website.

To be honest, I haven't watched either of the video series, but I do own both series, and I am planning to incorporate them when my dd takes American history in a couple of years. After using textbooks for several years for history, I thought videos might be a nice change of pace, and sometimes it's really neat to see those periods of history brought to life through videos. Of course, we'd incorporate books that apply, as well, and not do it completely with videos, but the videos seems like a good option for you since your dd has already taken government and American lit.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

RB

Unread post by RB » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:46 pm

Thank you both for helping me think this through :)
R.B.
dd 15 dd 14 ds 12 ds 1
Adventures and 1st ('07/08), ECC and K ('08/09), CtG ('10-'11), RtR ('11-12), Expl-1850 ('12-'13)