Science Discussion - Chemistry

Julie in MN

Science Discussion - Chemistry

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:39 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:Dd has kind of hit a road-block. She is finished with Module 11 except for the test. She is saying her big struggle right now is that she has read and re-read this module and module 10, she has worked the problems in each of these modules and has basically learned all she can from the "text".

She feels that enough guidance is not given for which equations to use for each problem. She is still confused but can go nowhere further. She needs someone to talk to or sit down with to help her. Are there any options when you hit a spot and just cannot go on? She talked to a friend of hers who went through Apologia Chemistry last year. She agreed with dd and struggled with the same issue. She's not a struggling student, btw. She's doing Alg. 2 and is doing well with it. She likes Apologia but is frustrated with the fact that she feels she can go no further with the instruction given in the book.
I haven't done Apologia Chemistry yet, but some options I can think of:

1. Crystal often brings up khan acadamy -- he has free online tutorials for a lot of things.
http://www.khanacademy.org/

2. Your library might have The Teaching Company's high school chemistry course. It's specifically designed for high schoolers taking chemistry, giving help in the tough areas.

3. Your library might also have Standard Deviants' chemistry, or Netflix might. It's much shorter than TTC but might cover important topics (I've had ds watch some of their videos, but not chemistry).

4. For that matter, I might even search YouTube or just google a specific topic -- public school teachers often post handouts on difficult topics.

5. A reference book like Barron's E-Z Chemistry might be helpful? Or even just some random used chemistry textbook you find on the shelf at a used bookstore or thrift store?

6. I'd try Apologia - emailing them a question, looking around their website for helps, trying their various CD-ROM options?
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Teresa in TX

Re: Problems with Apologia Chemistry...

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 am

Thanks for the ideas, Julie!! We have a friend who loaned us their Chemistry DIVE cd so we're going to give that a shot today. That Khan website is really cool...I had never been there before. There are tons of tutorials on there!!!!
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

Teresa in TX

Heads up about high school chemistry...

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:14 am

Two things.:

1) The DIVE cd for chemistry is helpful. Dd got past her brick wall after watching the section that pertained to the problem she was having. We borrowed it from a friend and will likely order it as well as the one on Biology before my son takes that. I haven't ordered those before, and I know they aren't recommended by mfw, but they are helpful. They provide a lot of extras. That to say, I haven't really looked at any other options to go along with Apologia, so I'm coming from that limited viewpoint.

2.) I e-mailed Apologia and asked them for additional practice problems pertaining to the modules we were struggling with. Dd had figured out the issue but had worked through the problems offered in her book so many times that she needed more to ensure that she had actually mastered the work she was doing. They sent me 2 pages of new problems and the answers to go with them. They really are very helpful and have given me a substitute test in the past as well as this. If you haven't used Apologia before, I think that is something that is helpful to know going in...they are there to offer help so don't hesitate to ask.

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

ilovemy4kids

Re: Heads up about high school chemistry...

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:11 am

Also helpful for this is www.redwagontutorials.com

My children take the live classes, but the DVD's are recordings of the live classes. Extremely helpful for high school science!

Blessings
Sandra

Teresa in TX

Re: Heads up about high school chemistry...

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:25 am

ilovemy4kids wrote:Also helpful for this is http://www.redwagontutorials.com

My children take the live classes, but the DVD's are recordings of the live classes. Extremely helpful for high school science!
I was wondering if others had used these. That is good to know they are helpful!! Thanks for that!! I really wish I had done those starting with biology. The bummer is that they don't have one for physics yet and won't until 2012. Dd was going to need it for next year. The jury is still out as to what we'll do next year: physics, chemistry 2 or biology 2 (human anatomy). My original plan had been physics next year then allow dual credit enrollment of a science and a math at the community college. I don't know though.

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds

cbollin

Chemistry help?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:31 pm

momxnine wrote:My son (16) has been stuck on the Experiment 2.2 in Module 2 for a couple of weeks. He's supposed to be measuring the specific heat of a metal, but he says he has to know the temperature of the metal or he can't figure it out??? He's re-read the whole module a couple of times and this is the second time he's tried to do this experiment, but he gets stuck at step 8. I don't know *why* he gets stuck though because this is all greek to me. :D

I pulled up the extra stuff on the Apologia site today and there is a video that looks to me like it's explaining the exact same problem. But Daniel says that the man has the temperature of the metal already and that makes all the difference. No clue. Anyway, if anyone who is a chemistry person could help or point us in the right direction or something, I might have a few less gray hairs crop up and my son might have a few less tears. :-) .
I haven't done chemistry, but my oldest did apologia chem last year. .. the moment she read your post, she said that in step 8 the metal is the same temp as the boiling water because of something earlier in the module that talks about that. but that's how the guy in video knows it... it's the same as the water temp? ?

She's busy looking through the module to find page number. edit to add: check step 10 of the lab. that will give him the clue he needs.

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bret Welshymer

High school Chemistry

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:36 pm

DS4home wrote:My ds will be doing the Apologia Chemistry course this fall. I am looking for additional helps because I am not a science person at all!

I am wondering if anyone can give me some comparisons between the Red Wagon tutorial CD's and the Dive CD's.

They are expensive and I don't know how to make the best choice?

Dawn
I am not too familiar with either of these CDs. However two of my children used Apologia Science all the way through Physics using just the complete package provided through MFW. Both did very well with these programs working independently. They did not need to ask me for help during the courses. As I talk with parents I am hear similar experiences. I hope your son will have the same experience.

DS4home

Re: High school Chemistry

Unread post by DS4home » Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Bret. This will be my second time through Chemistry, and I really did not know what I was doing the first time through with my oldest! My second high schooler ended up taking science at the local high school as a part time student. This is my third high schooler and he will be doing this class at home. Having gone through the material once just makes me dread it all the more! When he has a question, any question at all, I will not be able to help him! So I was thinking another resource to teach the material along side of reading the text might be very beneficial for him.
Has anyone used either of these CD's ?

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

LSH in MS

Re: High school Chemistry

Unread post by LSH in MS » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:28 pm

I have never used those resources but I did want to let you know about an online coop http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.com. They have live online classes and recorded at your own pace classes for Apologia Chemistry. My oldest two did biology last year and loved it! I did not have to do anything with science last year. If they had questions they can ask the teacher in class (live option) or email her. The live classes includes lectures, game day, study day, exams, review quizzes, lab day, and lab reports. There are templates for the lab reports online that they fill out. The teacher grades everything for you.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years