Skylar 10/03
Jaidyn 06/05[/color
]
Joshua 02/08
Started ECC July 2010!

Julie in MN

Question for those who have used HS World Lit and Histor

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:32 pm

CharleneHoell wrote:I will have a 10th grader next year, and we finished AHL in the spring. I am getting ready to order my curriculum for next year, and noticed that I already have quite a few books.

Can someone who has used this tell me how difficult it would be to use a different version of Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English and The Practice of the Presence of God? I already own both.

Many blessings,
Charlene
Hi Charlene,
How fun to be ready to order!

The schedule for Pilgrim's Progress includes both page numbers and chapter numbers, so you should be fine.

There is a slight difference between The Practice of the Presence of God (by Brother Lawrence in the 1600s) and Practicing His Presence which MFW uses (includes both Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach, who have similar things to share but Laubach is more modern). MFW schedules the book over 4 days, so I wouldn't think it would be a huge deal if you used the other, but this one might be a little easier to digest?
CharleneHoell wrote:Thanks Julie! That helps alot! Going to place my order today! :-)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

AHL - Epic of Gilgamesh

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:41 pm

baileymom wrote:We do not own the poetic version MFW sells. Should I purchase it or will another version be okay? Thanks!
Hi Kathi,
The poetic version sold by MFW is very unique. It was created by the author of the literature studies used in AHL, just for students. I recommend using it for several reasons.

First, it is shorter, which is nice to get to the point without being drawn out forever.

Second, the MFW version will correlate with the study questions in the Literature Supplement. It's something like a Progeny Press guide, and the vocab questions in particular will be easier with the matching version.

Third and most importantly... it is less embarrassing! I found this out by researching audiobooks for my son's AHL year. I checked out an audio version of Gilgamesh and my, oh my, I blushed and turned it off and knew we wouldn't be using an audio for that one. The AHL version still gets the story across (it's for high schoolers not for elementary kids), but I recommend using only the specific version in this particular case.

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

baileymom

Re: Epic of Gilgamesh

Unread post by baileymom » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:45 pm

Thank you so much, Julie. This is exactly what I needed to know. :)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1