Ordering - Book subs, already read, different edition

Teresa in TX

Ordering - Book subs, already read, different edition

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:24 pm

WHL book rec
TNLisa wrote:What would be a suitable substitute for The Hiding Place? My ds read this in a previous year. I've looked at the book list in the TM - we are considering Marrin's Hitler. I also thought of Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy. Obviously, recommendations would be for the WW2 time frame - or anything from early 1900's to around 1950. Thanks for any input -
The Bonhoeffer book is a great read! I checked it from the library and read it earlier this year. I want to purchase it now because it had so many things I wanted to underline, tab, highlight, quote...powerful book. It helped me to put some of my own questions and struggles to rest about how to handle political issues in a Christlike manner. BUT it is a hefty book and you'd need to keep that in mind before assigning it. I know for my own who is just finishing WHL, it would have been hard for us to fit, but she's not an avid reader.
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

Julie in MN

Re: WHL book rec

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:17 pm

I love the Marrin book about WWI (and the one about Vietnam) -- so helpful in understanding it all. As for the Hitler one, it wasn't my favorite. Of course, it's a depressing topic, so that might be why. The beginning was quite interesting, as far as his childhood and rise to power. But then the Hitler book just seemed all the same to my untrained eye, while the WWI book varied from one branch of the military to the next, giving lots of stories. Marrin does warn, too, that the Hitler book is *not* about the entire war, just about Hitler.

One of my favorite books about WWII is Hansi, which I described here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 510#p47510 The last maybe 1/4 of the book might be too much for a teen, since it goes into the ups & downs of a personal faith journey during extreme post-war hardship, including marriage and dealing with forgiveness of her father. But if your dd likes to read, the first 3/4 of the book has much interest and many events, from her being "awarded" the chance to join the Hitler Youth, to their system of purposely drawing the young away from family & faith, to being clueless about the war that her countrymen were fighting and almost disbelief when she had to face it, to her shock that American servicemen didn't want favors in return for helping, and finally her return to Jesus. Her life work is mission-related now, especially with American servicemen (even into her very old age).

I posted several other things we liked over on that thread I linked, such as Shadow of his Hand, from the Daughters of the Faith series. It could be considered young, but I loved reading that series myself. You could have her read that and Hallelujah Lass, which is about one of the early Salvation Army gals. It takes place before the world wars, but still within the 1850 time frame.

Or has she read the books in the ECC 7-8th package? Many of those apply to 1850MOD, even if they aren't about WWII specifically.

It's such an important period in history to wrap your brain around.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Dusenkids

Unread post by Dusenkids » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:50 pm

Would Number the Stars be grade level appropriate/meet your needs?

From Amazon: “Within hours the Danish resistance, population and police arranged a small flotilla to herd 7,000 Jews to Sweden. Lois Lowry fictionalizes a true-story account to bring this courageous tale to life. She brings the experience to life through the eyes of 10-year-old Annemarie Johannesen, whose family harbors her best friend, Ellen Rosen, on the eve of the round-up and helps smuggles Ellen's family out of the country.” Ages 10-14

I'm not familiar with WHL yet, but remember liking it when I was little.
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern

mfwstudent

Unread post by mfwstudent » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 am

I plan on reading The Hiding Place again. I read it the year we did 1850MOD, but I was only in 6th grade then. And same with Animal Farm. I'll just read it again.

TNLisa

Unread post by TNLisa » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for all the replies!

Julie - I hadn't thought about looking in the 1850-Mod archives! Lots of great info on this time period (and a heads-up for me since my dd will be doing this next semester!). I'm going to look at some of the recommendations at the library. I actually have the Focus on the Family Radio Theatre edition of The Hiding Place - which even tho he has read the book, this would be a fresh approach. It's been a couple of years since he read the book.
Would Number the Stars be grade level appropriate/meet your needs?
It's a wonderful book but my ds (16) has read it.

I looked at the Bonhoeffer book tonight at the bookstore - I agree,
it is a hefty book and you'd need to keep that in mind before assigning it
--- I would love to read it tho.
mfwstudent wrote:I plan on reading The Hiding Place again. I read it the year we did 1850MOD, but I was only in 6th grade then. And same with Animal Farm. I'll just read it again.
Exactly my thoughts! Thank you!
Lisa
Homeschooling since 2005!

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:04 am

mfwstudent wrote:I plan on reading The Hiding Place again. I read it the year we did 1850MOD, but I was only in 6th grade then. And same with Animal Farm. I'll just read it again.
Great point. 15yo dd read Animal Farm in 7th grade and is just finishing it again now for WHL. She admitted to me that she "got" a lot more of the comparisons, etc., this time around. She said she didn't understand it as clearly back when she read it the first time and it just had more of an impact on her. The thing that stuck out strongly to her was how they would fill the troughs with sand and then put grain on top. She "got" the meaning of that and the comparisons, especially after we discussed how Brother Andrew had been shown only the shiney, pretty parts of Russia and Communism (I think it was Russia) while being kept away from the bad parts when he was taken through communist areas. But I digress...

I have read The Hiding Place 4 or 5 times and it impacts me more each time. That is just a powerful book!!
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

cbollin

WHL..need a substitution for The Hiding Place

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 pm

mcilvoy6 wrote:We are new to MFW and was just wondering if anyone substituted another book for The Hiding Place? My daughter has read it several times and we were looking for something else...any ideas would be great!

Thank you,
Michelle
Michelle,
Welcome along!

My oldest is getting ready to do WHL. She's read Hiding Place before, but we'll just read it again. I tend to not worry about that stuff because as they get older, more of a book means more to them.

It's used in the WWII weeks for English literature reading assignment. Then at the end of reading there are some questions from Notgrass book on it.

So you could do anything in any genre those 2 weeks that the book is there. In other words, it's always cool and great when what you are reading in English fits with what you are learning in history, but if that doesn't happen... it's ok once in a while. :) so maybe save a favorite classic to do then.

Or, you could change it up a bit and plan for English time to be more from the optional video list for WWII. check the appendix of the daily lesson plans. I know when I was in high school "advanced" English we sometimes watched movies. Perhaps you could do a compare and contrast the book The HIding Place with the movie. other video titles are suggested in the list too.

You could sub in some reading from the "optional reading list" appendix in WHL. ah ha! There's the one I was thinking of --- The Endless Steppe by Esther Hautzig. I was thinking that one because it's true story. and if you're going to sub for English class selection, it's really nice to sub with similar genre and in this case, you got hardship, you got non US perspective. check the heads up warnings about it.

Maybe some of those ideas would help you decide which way to go.

-crystal

Julie in MN

substitute for More than a Carpenter and Julius Caesar

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:11 pm

deltagal wrote:My 15 yo has recently finished reading More than a Carpenter and is in the process of reading and writing papers on Julius Caesar. In the event we go the WHL route for next year, what are possible substitutions.
For Caesar, if you want more Shakespeare, Antony & Cleopatra comes to mind. It's kind of a follow-up to Julius Caesar, in my mind. There are lots of Shakespeares I wish we had time to read. Or you could just go over Julius again, maybe act out the famous Friends, Romans, Countrymen speech?

If you're not a big fan of Shakespeare, then maybe reading the RTR book again on uncle Octavian, with Augustus Caesar's World? I also liked Caesar's Gallic Wars or other books on his writings from Gaul/the Barbarians, to give a sense of how Octavian used his writings in his political goals. Or even just read a book on all the different Caesars?

As far as More than a Carpenter, I think any good and inspiring book could be subbed in. It's kind of during a time of studying the life of Jesus, of course, so the RTR read-alouds could work (The Bronze Bow is at the time of Jesus, Twice Freed at the time of Paul, Door in the Wall is Medieval monks, even Galen the scientist biography - maybe some of those are recommended in the WHL manual?). I think my son would like to read through the Kingdom Tales again (ECC) and we could really relate the parables to the story of Jesus :) If you want to stick to the historical Jesus, one idea is the Jesus Chronicles Series by the authors of Left Behind. They aren't really novels, but fairly short reenactments about the author of each Gospel & how their particular Gospel came to be written, when, where, by whom. I'm hoping to have my son read John's Story at some point, to get a sense of why the last living disciple came to believe a 4th Gospel was needed by God, and what that setting looked like.

Other faith & inspiration books would be fine -- everyone has a favorite author (Joshua Harris, Philip Yancy, Richard Wurmbrand, John Piper, Kay Arthur, DC Talk). Maybe you have something on your shelves that you've been wanting to find time for?!

HTH,
Julie

Julie in MN

WHL - Older edition of Writers Inc?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri May 17, 2013 9:54 am

homeforhim wrote:Hello,

I am new to the board :-) and am considering WHL for next year for my highschooler. I have an older edition of the Writers Inc handbook (mid-90s edition I believe). Will this be problematic for use with the writing assignments in WHL? Is the 2006 edition necessary? Thanks for any help,

Blessings,
Rachael
Hmmm, good question. A couple things I can think of to try out on your version.

1. Does it have anything about using the internet or quoting sources from the internet? This seems pretty essential these days. Fortunately, there's a good index in Writer's Inc, so you could look in your index to see if those topics are there.

2. Can you easily find the random assignment even though page numbers will probably be a bit off? On the second sample grid on the website, it says p. 217-220, and the student writes an Essay of Argumentation about Beowulf. It looks like both the page numbers and the page title are given, so does the title help you find the reading you are supposed to do?

Oh, and (3) would be to call the office, as I would guess they've had this question before :)

Julie

Bret Welshymer

Re: WHL - Older edition of Writers Inc?

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Fri May 17, 2013 10:19 am

It will be much easier for your student if you have the same version of Writers Inc. that is included in the current WHL package (2006 version). Otherwise page numbers will not match and not all information in the 2006 version is included in earlier versions. I believe you will find that it is money well spent.

homeforhim

Re: WHL - Older edition of Writers Inc?

Unread post by homeforhim » Fri May 17, 2013 11:51 am

Thank you, Julie and Bret, for your prompt replies! That answers my question,

Rachael

Julie in MN

The Use of Encyclopedia of Ancient History (High school)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:31 pm

jenniferlisk wrote:My daughter will be doing WHL this August. I am going to purchase the upgraded set in March, but wanted to know how much they schedule the Encyclopedia of Ancient History? We already have two, one is Encyclopedia of world History and the other is History Encyclopedia (King Fisher). I know it is only $13.50, but space is limited and wondering if the other two will do the job? Thank you for your help.
I think if you have something that covers the daily life and major events in Ancient Rome, you will be fine. Most of the book is used in AHL, but the final chapters on Rome are used in WHL.

Most of the time, books about the "ancients" cover both Greece & Rome. However, MFW separates out the Old Testament (through ancient Greece) from the New Testament (beginning with ancient Rome), so that's why the book carries over to the beginning of the next year.

Hopefully if I've forgotten anything else, someone doing WHL this year will chime in!
Julie

DS4home

Re: The Use of Encyclopedia of Ancient History (High school)

Unread post by DS4home » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:46 pm

Are you referring to the book named Encyclopedia of the Ancient World?

My ds is in WHL this year. I looked through his manual and it looks like there are readings assigned from that book 14 times in the first 8 weeks of school. After that they schedule History of the World for the remainder of the school year for that type of info. The first couple of weeks the manual lists page numbers and topic heading for the book. After that it just lists page numbers.

I'm not sure how hard it would be to sub a different book. But this should hopefully give you an idea how MFW uses this book.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

MelissaB

Substitute Books

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:20 pm

Roxy Roller wrote:Hi...I am new here and I am considering World History for my upcoming 10th grader.

I would like to find a substitution for The Hiding Place and Cry, the Beloved Country. I would love suggestions.

Thank you,
Roxanne
Hi, Roxanne,

The Hiding Place is very insightful. I don't know that I would consider substituting that one. It's written by Corrie Ten Boom, whose family hid Jews in Austria during the German Nazi takeover.

Here are just a few of the social and historical lessons of the book that are relevant today:
- It shows why Christians did nothing as the Nazi army removed their Jewish neighbors, only a few at a time at first, then by mass loads.
- How doing nothing contributes to evil.
- How doing what is right comes at a cost sometimes.
- The quandry of justifying wrongdoing for a greater cause. (Is it O.K. to lie to save a human life? Is it O.K. to break the law if the law is hurting others? Does one tell the truth, even if someone's life could be at stake?)
- It demonstrates how typically "good" people have potential to do terrible things.
- It records the courage of children, the elderly, and everyone in between. Courage does not come from strength, which can wilt in times of trial & fear, but true courage is based on one's determination to do what is morally right. (like in proverbs 15:4b)
- It shows how one person can be a hero to some, and at the same time be an enemy to others :
When the little boy who delivered materials for hiding Jews on his bike was arrested, his parents, both Nazi supporters, were taken to prison camps as traitors. They died in the prison camps. He, ultimately, survived. The Nazis forced him to watch his own cousin's hanging. Was he a hero? His courage is heroic to Jews whose lives were saved. Is he a terrible traitor? His surviving family members thought so. Many of his own family members never spoke to him again.
- It shows the reliability of God - even in times of sacrifice.
- It teaches the power of forgiveness.

That is a long list, and I apologize for not having brevity. However, this book is about a lot more than just the adventure of a group of Jews hiding in a house.

You'll decide what's best for your family, of course. In our family, we wouldn't skip it. :)

Melissa B.
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Re: Substitute Books

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi Roxanne,
(1) I agree with Melissa that The Hiding Place is a special book. If you've already read it recently, here's a thread with a few ideas for subs: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10888

(2) As for Cry, The Beloved, that's also a very special book for me. And it's one of the rare high school books on Africa that's actually written by a black African.

We actually listened to the audiobook. Here's something I posted over on the Yahoo group about how much we loved it:
  • The audiobook on this is wonderful. Specifically, the audio narrated by Maggie Soboil. She understands the South African words and just the slow way of speaking. She can change the line “Yes” to something meaningful. I think I bought mine at LibraryAndEd, but I don't see it there right now. I don’t see it on CBD, but Amazon looks to have some used ones. It’s worth hunting for. A google search came up with this description of the narrator, which is nicely said:
    http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1993 ... africa-cry
However, if you've already read that one recently, you might consider one of the world missionary biographies from ECC 7-8th grade: http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/40/10/0/1
Or, MFW carries Kisses for Katie (about halfway down the page) https://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/110/0/0/1

If you want literature set in Africa to replace Cry, The Beloved, then there is the David Livingstone one in the ECC Deluxe package. I believe the WHL manual mentions Heart of Darkness, but I agree with Marie's notes on that as far as it not being uplifting. The other novel I hear most referenced in world literature on Africa is Things Fall Apart, which I haven't read but have heard is also discouraging.

There might be a few more on Africa that would be good on these posts - they are a little on the younger side but still good:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 135#p65402
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 594#p62594

Of course, if you want to widen the scope to other nations, there are even more books. There are always more books :-)

HTH,
Julie

jenniferlisk

Unread post by jenniferlisk » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:27 pm

I had similar questions, and it was suggested to me to let them read it again. It will be easier to read because it is the 2nd time reading it, but also will give them a chance to dig deeper with the spiritual meanings of the books. I trust this advice and plan to do it this way. The "meat" of truth is the most important value to achieve over all for me.

Roxy Roller

Unread post by Roxy Roller » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:30 am

Thank you for your responses.

The reason that I was asking for substitute books, is that my DD is on the immature side and I was wanting to save those books, because I know they are great, until 12th grade. I am still trying to figure out if she is even up to the level of the AHL/WHL. I am thinking I could do it on the 'light' side, but I am not sure. I know she needs to be stretched, but I don't want to stretch her so much that her eyes glass over, and she doesn't get anything out of it.

mlhom4him

Unread post by mlhom4him » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:57 am

Based on your concerns I would use them as read alouds with her. This can be a real sweet time between the two of you over a cup of tea. Then have her read them again later on her own.

jenniferlisk

Unread post by jenniferlisk » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:00 pm

On the immature side, I know what you are feeling (I have one of those too). It was suggested by MFW rep at the exclusive event to listen to the books in audio form while following the words in the book.

MelissaB

Books I already own for AHL

Unread post by MelissaB » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:15 pm

TrustingHim wrote:Hello!
We already own all of the books listed for reading with Ancient History and Literature (Bullfinch. Cat of Bubastas, Iliad, Epic of Gilgamesh, Purpose Driven Life, The Odyssey). I hate to buy them again, do they go by page number in the teacher's guide or do they go by chapter?

Thanks!
Dorinda
Hi, Dorinda. We haven't done AHL. But I wondered if it would help to look at the sample pages of the TM? Here's a link: http://www.mfwbooks.com/pages/php/sampl ... ample.html
It looks like Bulfinch's instructions (Week 10) read: "p. 97, Greek & Roman Mythology - Lesson 9." Does that help?

Here's a link to the High School Archives Board. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=21 It may not be all that's available; it's just all that I found.

Have a great year. :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

TriciaMR

Re: Books I already own for AHL

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:23 am

I have the new TM. It puts chapter numbers, chapter titles, and page numbers, in case a publisher changes something between printings/editions so that you can find stuff.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 am

I agree with the others that there is a lot of description in the assignment so you will likely find what you're looking for in different editions.

I just wanted to comment on the 3 books that are studied in more depth in AHL using the "Literature and Composition Supplement." The Supplement includes guides to 3 books that are kind of like Progeny Press Guides (except they are from Smarr).

1. Gilgamesh. The guide uses the matching Smarr version of this most ancient piece of literature. The Smarr version is short and in a poetic form. When my son was doing AHL, I got an audiobook of Gilgamesh from the library, which was a longer and probably more exact translation, not in the form of a Poem. Anyways, I was glad to be pre-listening because I decided we definitely were NOT going to use the audio version nor any other version but the Smarr! Let's just say there is a section that will make some of us blush, and while it is in the Smarr version also, it is way tamed down by the Smarr publishers. I personally would try to get a Smarr version, but I don't think it will matter whether it is "current" or not.

2. Bulfinch. I know Bulfinch wrote several volumes of Greek mythology, because again I was looking at audios and I could never figure out which audio matched the volume we were using with MFW. Anyways, again I don't think it matters whether it's the current publication, but be sure you have the correct "volume."

3. Odyssey. The Supplement uses a Fagles translation of the Odyssey. There are lots of translations, but I would try for the Fagles just because the Suppplement will have vocab questions and such, and a different translation might use different vocab. But again, I don't think the exact edition would matter.

HTH,
Julie

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 am

The Purpose Driven Life is now Called "What on Earth am I Here For? Expanded Edition. Randomly picking a day it says, "p71 What Makes God Smile?" The last day in the book is p. 328, "THe People-Pleaser Trap."

For The Cat of Bubastes, it simply lists chapter numbers - X, VII, etc.

The Bulfinch's lessons are in the Ancient Literature Supplement. They say, "Reading Assignment: Bulfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology, Chapters II and III".

I think is important to have the Robert Fagel translations of both the Iliad and Odyssey.

For the Iliad, it is done by chapter.. It says "Iliad 1," "Iliad 2" etc.

For the Odyssey, you follow the plans in the Ancient Literature Supplement. So, in the lesson plans it will refer to page 139 in the Ancient Literature Supplement. Then on page 139 in the Supplement, it says, "Read The Odyssey, Books 22 and 23"

Hope that helps more.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

TrustingHim

Unread post by TrustingHim » Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 pm

Thanks Ladies!
That help immensely. Sorry it took me so long to reply. With Easter and sickness in the house, I forgot to come back and read the answers! It sounds like I should make sure to get Gilgamesh, The Odessy and Bulfinch from MFW so we have the correct editions. I've been thinking about letting my daughter annotate in her books so maybe I should get them anyway....Decisions. Decisions.
Thanks again!
Wife to an exceptional DH for 17 years
Mother to 2 Girls; 14 and 11
Used: EX-1850 & 1850-MOD both with the 2nd/3rd grade go-alongs and ECC with 7th/8th grade go alongs
2014/15: Ex-1850 & AHL
Psalm 118:24

Julie in MN

translation of The Iliad and The Odyssey, does it matter

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:25 pm

rawbanana wrote:Does it matter which translation we use? I have a friend willing to loan me a copy of each, but they aren't the Robert Fagles translations...?
A few things to think through, and maybe others who just did AHL will add more or share whether it worked for them.

1. The study guide for the Odyssey includes vocabulary and some questions that might not work as well with a different translation, especially for a student newly learning to work fairly independently. (The Iliad is not studied in as much depth.)

2. If you'd like to use an audiobook, the Fagles version has both books on audio, and not all versions do. MFW carries the Odyssey audio. (Note: The Fagles audio of the Iliad, which MFW doesn't carry, is a condensed version, so a few parts of the Iliad are skipped over & just summarized, although the other parts are read exactly as translated.)

3. Some translations of the Iliad and Odyssey have been written in "prose" (the one used at my local high school is like that). The texts are organized into paragraphs that no longer look or sound like epic poetry to me. Although, obviously, it doesn't bother some teachers and translators LOL.

HTH,
Julie