Prep - High school order placed, how to get ready

DS4home

Prep - High school order placed, how to get ready

Unread post by DS4home » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:20 pm

AHL - Organizing History & English
8shininglights wrote:Well, I am finally back to Australia after dropping my oldest at Bible school and picking up my MFW books from the US (all 94 pounds!). I am looking forward to our year to come. We began two weeks ago with just science and math, but we will begin on Monday everything else (ECC and AHL). I am just trying to work out how to best organize the paperwork. I noticed that the AHL manual says to use for history and English a "3-ring notebook; lined and unlined paper." We plan on using a spiral notebook for the Literature and Composition Supplement because I do not plan on my children writing in this book. I was just wondering what the 3-ring binder is actually used for? What other paperwork will be going into this? How large of a binder should I plan on using?

From what I can see, for the actual AHL subjects (Bible, History, and English), the only other "office supply item" that is actually needed is a spiral notebook for Bible. Is this correct? I just want to make sure I pick up all the necessary items this weekend! The kids have so much fun picking out their supplies!

Lisa
Here is what we are using:

3 ring binder for all subjects
- I photo copy the check off grid and put in here
- later in the year there will be some Bible pages, Greek letters, etc.
- we put final draft writing papers in here
- we also put science papers in here
- and other misc. subjects I give them

separate spiral notebooks for:
Bible journaling
Lit. Supplement answers and rough draft writing
History answers for end of lesson questions

I suppose you could easily just use loose leaf lined paper in your binders instead of spirals. My kids enjoy picking out notebooks and school supplies, so I break it up like this so they can get some fun notebooks ;)

HTH, Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

cbollin

Prep...what's that lol

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:52 am

joyfullmom2 wrote:Prep.............what's that.......lol. This is my first year with MFW.............so it is all new to me. I just ordered our curriculum.......AH&L. So I really have no clue what to expect. If you have tips please share them.
we just finished week 3 of AHL, so hmm.. When you get the package, take the time to read through the intro section. It tells you how to prep for the year with what to copy. The timeline pieces get copied so you can use the masters for next child. Some other copy pages from the map book.

expect the first week to take time with your student to work together. You might find it nice to stagger start times if you have younger children. In other words, start the high schooler a week before you start the others.

be praying about how to incorporate service projects in your high schoolers week and then be in awe of His provision. Oh, I really want my oldest to chime in how it has played out for her since June.

-crystal

cbollin

High School Teacher's manual

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:30 pm

LSH in MS wrote:The copyright says that you can photocopy for additional siblings if you don't sell, give, or loan out the original or copies. For those who have multiple children, do you prefer to photocopy for additional siblings or buy a teacher's manual for each child? It would take forever to photocopy and I worry about losing the pages etc. On the other hand. that is a lot of money to buy one for each child (I have 6 children) What do you do and why?
I plan to pay the $90 or whatever it is for each child. But I'll only have 2 who do mfw high school as far as I can tell.
why? uh... I wasn't thinking far enough ahead? I wasn't sure if middle gal would do mfw for high school? uh.... i dunno.

well, I could have done the photocopy the grid approach. That's the main copy need from the AHL plans for making copies.. Then you can staple or tape a new grid over top the previous student's grid or over the original blank one. Then, have the student just write on the copy. Then they have the notes and all of that.
you'd also want to copy the "grade recording" pages per child.
and copy the Kings of Israel chart
and Greek alphabet chart?

so in any case, it wouldn't be the whole manual. I probably missed something.

for the lit/comp guide... I think it would be easier to get new copy each time since they write so much in it. oh wait.... that's not copy permissible anyway is it?..

but in any case... my oldest wrote all over the plans because we didn't think about copying it for the middle gal.

gotta run now. :)
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: High School Teacher's manual

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:33 pm

LSH in MS wrote:I realized after I posted that I would only copy the grid plus a few extra pages you mentioned. I may do that and store their records for all 4 years in one binder. That might work.

The lit supplement cannot be copied but I don't mind that. It's not as expensive as the TM is.

Anyone copy the timeline figures? How did that work?
I copied them onto full-page sticky paper. Worked very nicely.

I also cut them out last summer, and plan to cut the WHL ones out this summer. I put them in old junk mail envelopes marked by the week. That way my ds doesn't spend a lot of his time on the cutting. I need him to spend more time on the other things :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mdfriederich

Unread post by mdfriederich » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:07 am

The first year (AHL) I copied the grids and put them in a half-inch binder. I also copied the grade sheets and placed them in there too. My student had the manual always with the binder to read any notes for that day.

The second year(WHL) I let her write in the manual. I decided I'd bite the bullet and pay for another manual if another child used it.

The first year I copied the timelines. The second year I let her use the sheets from the packet.

Cutting them out has been time consuming for my student; what a nice mom/teacher Julie is for having cut them out for her student. Not a bad idea. :)

Diana
First Wife to Matt since 1990, Mom to dd (16), ds (14), and dd (12); Have used ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp to 1850, AHL, and WHL in '10-'11.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:16 am

we copied the timeline pics. I think there's a note about reducing the size of them? we didn't do that as we don't think we have that option on our machine at home.... we wish we had.

we used glue stick for timeline pieces instead of the sticky back paper that was suggested. just couldn't justify the expensive labels.

8shininglights

Unread post by 8shininglights » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:12 pm

I had two students using the book at the same time, and more to come later! :) So, I had my kids pencil lightly their initials in each box as they completed the work in the grids. That way we can keep using it for each child. If I want, I can erase their initials because I had them pencil lightly. If there was something that needed to be photocopied then I did that, but since I did not need to photocopy all the grids, it really was not that much. They then each kept a binder for their work. I actually had them do all their Lit/grammar assignments in AHL in a spiral notebook. We were able to get away without photocopying a lot in that book as well.

Lisa
Wife to my BEST Friend, Roger, for 22 years!
Blessed Mother of Victoria (20), David (19), Anna (16), Elisabeth (14), Rebecca (12), and Daniel (8)!!!!

cbollin

High School Ancients

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:34 pm

karrie wrote:My daughter will start high school ancients in the fall. It will be our first year with MFW. My other children will be doing ECC. Is there any way to organize or plan before the year starts? I know it is open and go, but for those of you who have had children go through ancients before, is there anything to do before we start?
My advice?

If at all possible start the high school student 1 week (or 2) before the other students. This will give you a learning curve week together to get use to the program without the stress of "eek! I have to do eCC with the other kiddos... just write something!" This will also help you to help your new high schooler with any study skills needed that week.
Get a room/place for the student to work without too many distractions.

To help prepare for the first week.... as it gets closer to start of school, think of going through the lesson plans together. There is an intro section in the planner for buying supplies and what needs to be copied. work with your student on that.
begin to think - part of Bible this year will be service projects. it can be weekly, or other.. but begin to think about that. more information is in week 1.

don't get too nervous about the first week's argumentative essay --- it's a learning time. It's a free style topic to get use to the format.

ECC - take the time to look over plans. I know MFW is "open and go", but still read over the plans for the week. Get to know what you are going to do. It's open and go in the sense that you don't have to plan pages and activities. But it works best when you glance at least the night before.

just a few of my favorite things.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: High School Ancients

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:39 pm

There might be a few more ideas here:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10906
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11977

At my house, I like to spend the summer going over my manual. Some random things I've done to prep in the past:

ALL LEVELS: I always make up a 3-ring binder for the year, get a pack of page protectors by going to Sam's Club with my mom, and put in the school calendar & school forms (Minnesota). I also choose a place to put everything my student will need (a separate bookshelf, or a stack of drawers, etc.). I also have a bookshelf where I gather all the books we have around the house on the topics we'll be studying for the year, but that's because we have so many books at our house. And for 7th grade and up, I usually agonize over science labs and whether I want to order anything, or put the word out for a lab partner in my area, etc.

ECC: Go over the prep page for each continent and pencil in which craft we might do, which library books I have or might like to reserve at the library (I can even create saved lists on my library's website), make any copies, create a supply tote by gathering any listed supplies or purchasing a few during back-to-school sales.

AHL: Here's a list based on something I emailed to someone in my area some time back. It's probably overkill, but sometimes prep helps me to feel ready or something? High school felt like a big step both for me and for my youngest. I should reassure you that 10th grade was a very easy transition for us & I hardly did any prep :)

1. Read the manual 100 times till you just absorb it LOL!

2. One idea I got from the "MFWExplorers high school blog" (you can google it) was to add in little "boxes" on the grid where I wanted my son to remember certain things.

- Depending on your math or science, you might want to add/subtract boxes on Friday.
- You might add boxes for electives or outside activities at the bottom of the grid, both as a time reminder and as a credit reminder for later.
- She wrote "pray" on her student's grid, which is a great idea.
- I wrote "writing" on the weeks where a writing assignment was given on Monday and due on Friday (so I added a box on Tue, Wed, Thurs), just because.

3. Decide whether you want to pursue using any audiobooks, and look for sales etc. Some possibilities:

- The Bible can be found free online or we used the one Marie recommended in the manual. Over the summer, I checked out a few versions from my library. I chose a chapter that had several characters speaking, to see how much "acting" we might like, or not.
- Cat of Bubastes (Henty can be a hard read for some, with sometimes paragraph-long sentences, although this is probably his easiest)
- Iliad (the Fagles audio is abridged, which means portions are left out, but the rest is the original wording).
- Odyssey
- Crystal found Bulfinch, which would have been nice: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 483#p65599
- Purpose Driven Life can be found in audio, but it's a very easy read

4. Decide how much you want to help prep the timeline pages. I did as much as possible in advance, because I didn't want my ds to spend his time on this. I might have let my dd do more on her own because she'd enjoy it.

- Decide if you're going to look for sticky-paper or cardstock or just cut out the set. Last time I checked, Walmart was carrying the double-cracked set from Avery, which really does make it easier (the cuts are both diagonal across the page, so they hit the maximum number of timeline pieces).
- I copied all the pages according to the book, cut them out, and stored each page in a separate envelope (from old junk mail) labeled "week 13" or whatever; there aren't too many in AHL.
- Sometimes I used a paper cutter for straighter lines.

5. Prep the maps. There aren't many in AHL, but you'll probably want copies. Your child could do the work right in the book or have the spine removed from the book, but coloring a map on one side and answering questions on the other might be risky. I used cardstock and enlarged the maps according to the suggestions in the manual (or often a little bigger, and I set them about a quarter inch from the top and right side of my printer).

6. Make sure you have a good set of colored pencils for the maps (probably 12 would be plenty, but they will need basic colors like a "true blue" for the water). Often stores like Michaels and Dick Blick will have 40% off sales.

7. Look thru the "extra literature" portion of the manual & decide if you need to find those books. You don't need to plan the whole year, but you might want to plan the first month. Your options include:

- deciding to cross off that requirement on the daily grids, since it's optional
- or deciding to leave the requirement on the grids, and cross out the note in the front that says it's optional ;)
- choosing literature from the list in the manual for your child to read in those time slots
- choosing literature according to your own goals (my son read books assigned in his book club)
- talk to your child about selecting his own literature

8. Give some thought to how you will do the Bible study this year. There is a parent checklist in the back of the manual, so your options include:

- doing the Bible and the Old Testament Challenge together as a family
- doing the Bible together as a family, and the student does OT Challenge on his own
- doing it separately, where the parents are reading on their own but keeping up
- just having the student read, and discuss during your parent meetings

9. Don't forget to get out the exact Bibles you will be using, and make sure the versions match if you will be reading together, or reading with an audio version. Even if you use an audio Bible or online Bible, you still may find a matching print Bible helpful for following along (my son didn't *always* have his open, but sometimes I made him because he was zoning out). Also, the little "section headings" in some print Bibles are not usually read on the audio, but if you see them as you read along in your print Bible they can help keep track of the general topics.

10. Give some thought to how your student will do his work.

- Some students will want several notebooks labeled for each subject, or tabs in a binder.
- My son uses the computer for almost everything, so I create a Word file for each school year, e.g. "Reid 9th grade." Within that file, I start pages for things my son will likely do on the computer, e.g. "Exploring World History questions," and at the top I typed in what I want out of him each day (date, lesson number, whether answers need to be in complete sentences, and a section underneath for notes/questions/corrections).
- You'll probably need a thin 3-ring binder for the Daniel study, but that doesn't happen until the end of the year.
- And, to foster independence, it was helpful for my son to have specific drawers where he could be sure to find pencils, his compass for math, colored pencils for mapping, timeline pieces, etc.

11. Something that worked well for my son was sticky-tabs. Okay, maybe it's me who likes office supplies :-) but here are some things that worked for us:

- I used those tiny plastic "flags" from Post-It to mark his place in every book at first -- the page he started on, the page he ended on, the page where the questions were, etc.
- In the Notgrass Quiz & Exam Book, I even slapped on a very large post-it across the area where his questions of the day were (and drew a big arrow in marker), either underneath the day's lesson or above it depending on the page, because my ditzy 9th grader kept trying to answer questions from the wrong lesson :~
- And the third kind of post-it I used was a little sticky "arrow" >> (probably for signatures in offices), which i put on the grid at the top of the day's column. Since we didn't use the grid in a Monday-to-Friday pattern (and since our Bible as a family was often out-of-sync with his work), this helped him figure out what day he was on.

12. Some totally optional extras we liked:
- Answers Book DVD (very short versions of some of the chapters in the Answers Book)
- Sparknotes on the Iliad (didn't use all of it by any means, but for instance when my son was gritting his teeth about Odysseus's shield decorations taking up practically a whole chapter, there was a good explanation for that :) ).

Julie

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:49 pm

anyone else reading Julie's list and thinking "I want to go office supply shopping with her!"
me?
yeah,, I think so...

timeline prep - we decided to use glue stick instead of the idea in the planner about avery full sheet thing. hasn't bothered us too much.

-crystal

Mallorie

Unread post by Mallorie » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 pm

*raises hand* I do. :)

This has been really helpful, as I sit down to order AHL and CtG with trembling hands.

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:32 pm

I think I would just like Julie to come over and get me organized. But maybe that's just because I'm sick this week, and would rather sleep than do ANYTHING else. :)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:02 pm

Maybe that's what I'll do when my youngest graduates -- offer to buy office supplies for people, stay in the store all day :)

Julie

mandolin

Unread post by mandolin » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Now that would be a job! I would hire you too!!!

Mandi
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

sewardmom

Unread post by sewardmom » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:52 pm

Lots of things I could add, but just a couple of things we did that I didn't see listed that might help:

We are big on office supplies over here too and find spending the extra to stay organized is well worth it for us.
We keep a post it flag on the grade page in the front of the TM (the entire year) and reference it during Friday meetings which helps me make sure she has turned in all her deliverables in our completed work basket. After grading, it also helps to be able to turn there quickly.

I agree with Julie that reading through the TM several times is so helpful for the parent and student. In that process, I strongly encourage our students to highlight the grid on the summer preview where there are items due and any other info they think they should notice on each week.

~ Terri

I also would like to voice a strong recommendation along with Crystal's suggestion to start the high schooler a couple of weeks ahead of everyone else. That helped both parent and student at our house to get acquainted with the new process...
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

Julie in MN

Binders?? plan

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:53 am

classicalmom wrote:I am sort of confused. Exactly how many binders do AHL boy and US2boy (and CTG girl) need?? trying to do my planning and prep right now. :)
Holly
Hi Holly,
My son does almost everything on the computer, so he has an 11th grade folder in Word, instead of binders. I keep a running page in Word for each semester for history and Bible (we do corrections on there in another color, and print everything out each semester). He makes individual files for each writing assignment and lab report (those not done by hand). If he's working at his computer instead of mine, then he emails me the results, and we copy them into the appropriate Word files.

I do use one binder with page protectors, but it's just to store finished work. The binder is very helpful to me when grading time comes, and useful in seeing my son's accomplishments, but not totally necessary.

I'm sure others will share different methods.
Julie

cbollin

Re: Binders?? plan

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:04 am

papers were in my inbox for a while, but I started requesting a printed copy... those went in some folder somewhere. I needed them in print to step away from computer.. My dh on the other hand.. didn't.

she has spiral notebook for notgrass review questions, quizzes, etc..

maps... finished ones probably in a folder. binder? hmmm..

Julie in MN

High School AHL Timeline and maps questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:55 pm

Fly2Peace wrote:We are FINALLY ready to begin AHL next week, and want to do our prep work correctly. We have full size label sheets for the timeline pieces. Do we just copy the full size ones right on those? Or is reducing some a good idea? I have full flexibility of enlarging or reducing in 1% increments.

Then, on the World History Map Activities book, it says to copy a few pages. I just thought I would get younger her own, so can older just do the pages right in the book? Or is there something I am missing, some reason NOT to do that? I think more of this book must get used in later years....

Thanks in advance for the help from those who have been there, done that!
Pam
Pam, which place to reply?? Oh, well, I'll join in both conversations :)

Here's what we did:

1. I copied the timeline pieces at a straight 100% onto full label sheets (the best were from Walmart). I then cut them out, took out the ones not needed, and stored them in envelopes (from junk mail) until my son needed them. The only time I remember a tight fit was the 12 disciples, but we made it work. If we would have shrunk them, they might have been hard to read?

2. The maps I copied onto cardstock, enlarging them as much as possible, which my son REALLY wanted (he doesn't have small or lightweight handwriting). There aren't that many maps in AHL, so it might not be that big of a deal either way. There are a LOT of maps in WHL (an extra 1/4 credit), and even with the enlarging, we started needing 2 copies of some maps in order to fit all the required information onto them (I think the manual mentions this at times, but we started doing it even more often).

I also copied the map instructions onto plain paper, because of the 3 little questions to answer at the end, but really I could have left those pages in the book, since the questions weren't all that good that I needed to save the sheet (I ended up making my own questions by the end of WHL). However, my son tended to write on them, giving himself "reminders" of what color he used where, which cities he had already located, etc. So they might not have been pretty enough to use with another child if I had left them in the book.

I still keep a notebook for a portfolio of my son's work, so the copied maps fit nicely in page protectors (as compared to the whole map book).

Looking back, one thing I should have done was have the spine cut off the map book before I made those copies. It would have made it so much easier.
Julie

Julie in MN

School supplies for AHL

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:51 pm

Michelle in WA wrote:I'm still saving up to buy AHL. We are planning to start in September. Supply sales are on now though. What supplies will we need for the year? I'm guessing a binder, loose leaf paper, pens and notecards. Is there anything else you have found helpful or needed for AHL? Thanks!
Hi Michelle,
I'll start since I happened to be online - and maybe because I love school supplies :)

1. We used a thin (0.5"?) 3-ring binder for the Daniel study (3-hole punched pages).

2. I kept each year's work in a large 3-ring binder (3"?). This type of thing will vary from family to family, so I hope others will share. Some will use spiral notebooks and such, but my son did most of his work on the computer, often keeping one running Word doc per subject, and I gathered it all in a binder.

3. We used a quality set of colored pencils for the mapping. And of course regular pencils, a good eraser, staples or clips for those essays, maybe a red pencil or pen so the student can see his math corrections.

4. I love my post-it "tabs" for marking pages in the manual and books and everything else in my house LOL :~

5. Math almost always requires a big pack of lined paper, and sometimes gadgets for geometry or that expensive graphing calculator in upper math, which all tend to be cheaper this time of year.

6. Science is another one to peek at, as you may need lab supplies (and maybe a lab notebook) and even homeschool science suppliers sometimes have sales this time of year.

Have fun!
Julie

gratefulmom

Re: School supplies for AHL

Unread post by gratefulmom » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:11 pm

A good- quality compass for geometry is a must!

Michelle in WA

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:47 pm

Thank you! That helps. We have most of what is listed, except we are a bit "behind" in math.
Michelle, momma to
A (01) completed 1st, ADV, heading into AHL (gulp)
T (02) completed K, 1st (doing something else for now)
C (05) (doing something else for now)
T (08) completed K, doing 1st

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:08 pm

For math and science, my dd is using quad-rule composition notebooks (she got hooked on these from a math class she took at co-op).

Otherwise, she used spiral notebooks for taking notes in and writing answers to the questions for History.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog