US1 & US2 Discussions - History semester, changing to BJU, etc.

Poohbee

Re: US History 1877-Present Week 11 Question

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:35 pm

Has your daughter learned much about the Japanese internment in America during that time? I didn't learn much about this until I was in college. We just finished 1850-MOD this past school year (my girls were in 4th and 8th), and it was good to look at WWII from different perspectives. These are some books we used to learn about the Japanese internment.

novels
Journey to Topaz, by Yoshiko Uchida
Farewell to Manzanar, by Jeanne Houston

picture books
The Bracelet, by Yoshiko Uchida
Baseball Saved Us, by Ken Mochizuki

one other picture book, relating more to Number the Stars
The Yellow Star: The Legend of King Christian X of Denmark, by Carmen Agra Deedy

Though these books may seem too easy for a high schooler, they are great living books to learn about the Japanese internment in America. I am of a mind that teens and adults can gain so much from children's literature. The novels, along with the picture books, could make a great mini-unit, and could provide great inspiration for a wonderful high school-level literature composition.

Just one idea for you, since you've pretty much already covered the bases with the other books you've read and experiences you've had.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Julie in MN

11th Grade - Tests

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:13 pm

cappy wrote:We are new to MFW this year, and are overall enjoying it very much. I have one doing AHL and one doing US1.
AHL gal is coming along well.

My 11th grader (who has historically been the better student!) is struggling a bit. She is a big reader and writer, and our curriculum up to this year has played into that strength. No testing, lots of written narration, etc. The workload from day to day is actually a good bit lighter than she's used to, but the information processing is just not coming along well. She is struggling with mostly the history tests and chemistry tests. I wasn't too worried at first, since this is her first year doing this type of assessment.

Actually, the chemistry is much better, and we feel pretty good about that. I think she's finally learned how to study for that (with the detailed study guides).

But for history, she's still having a tough, tough time. She is reviewing the chapter/section reviews/quizzes (can't remember what they call them). But she can't find the "connect" of how to really determine what info will be tested. She is on week 12. Does anyone have a suggestion as far as how to study?
You know, have you tried an open book test? If you haven't, I might stop and do a couple of those and see if it helps her get what the text author is doing as he takes a student through the text, study materials, and test. Maybe I'm lax, but I don't consider it a lot different than some of the spoon-feeding-test-prep sessions I've seen in public schools.

I've also allowed my students to correct wrong answers for half credit, or sometimes even just discuss why the student answered the way he did, for more credit, possibly allowing her the option of finding the correct answer in the book. Even discussing the other multiple choice options was often educational at my house, resulting in giving back credit. And there's always extra credit - my public-schooled son did a lot of extra credit and he still excelled in college. Oh, and was there a note in one of the parent answer keys about dropping a test question at parent discretion, if you decide it wasn't an area of emphasis at your house -- or maybe I'm wrong, maybe that was in one of the other courses like economics?

Another suggestion for truly figuring out what's going on would be for a parent to look up the wrong answers in the text and find out where they were taught, evaluate how well they were taught, etc.

Just a few ideas. Hopefully other high school families will have a chance to share their experiences.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cappy

Re: 11th Grade - Tests

Unread post by cappy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:33 am

On the last test that she did, I did have her go back and look up correct answers and write them down in sentence form. I also had her copy word for word the answers to the two essay questions. I had actually counted them correctly, because I knew she technically knew the answers, but her answers---though well written---didn't quite answer the questions as they were asked. She included more info that what was being asked, and didn't include specific answers to the questions. This was the first time I had her do that---before, we had just gone over what was wrong. So hopefully this helped some.

What I have not done is have her take a test open-book. I may have her do that on the next test....or I may give her one more attempt and then do the following open book if there is still no improvement. She is frustrated that she's not doing well on the tests...maybe even more so than I am. I had told her that it would take some getting used to, since it's not something we've done in the past. I DO think we need to get it figured out, because obviously, she will need to have test taking skill in place for college. But at the same time, I know that she's learning the material....she could write an excellent paper on the chapters....but for some reason, she just can't answer someone else's point blank questions. That's just what she'll have to work on over the next year and a half ;) .

Thanks for the open book idea though. I don't think she'd *want* to do that just yet, because she's determined she's "gonna get this". But I think I will encourage her to try this if the next test doesn't go much better.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:44 am

You have some great strategies there! And kuddos to your dd for taking up the challenge of improving herself :)

One other thing that I thought about was evaluating wrong answers. I know it helped with ACT-prep (multiple choice questions). In well-written tests, most wrong answers are wrong for particular reasons. So, if the student can identify some of the obviously wrong answers, she will have an easier time selecting the correct answer.

If she is struggling instead with short answers or essays, rather than multiple choice, then you seem to be on the right track with evaluating the question and what exactly it was asking - in other words, not just helping her find the right answer, but also figuring out what was wrong with her wrong answer.

Maybe you could give her a history credit based on knowledge of history by oral exam, and then extra credit in learning to think like a test writer, eh?! :-)

Julie

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:52 pm

Just wanted to encourage you. My oldest is in 10th grade, doing WHL this year (Has been doing MFW since 3rd grade). And every now and then on a question for history, her answer will either have too much of not the right information, or not enough information for a good answer.

When I see it, we go over the answer and try to figure out what she was thinking vs. what the answer key is telling us. Sometimes, after reading the text, I feel her answer was good enough. Other times she totally missed the point.

Just wanted to encourage you that it does happen to other people's children, too.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

Unread post by MelissaB » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:59 pm

I like the idea of doing an open-book test for a week or two. Every author/writer of textbooks is a little different. A few weeks of open-book tests may help her get a "feel" for what this particular author is looking for. She'll take off soon! :)
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

11th grade Optional Reading/DVD List

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Mom-n-Zam wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:53 am
Greetings from Zambia! We are a missionary homeschooling family in Zambia. Because it takes a while to get homeschool curriculum over here, I start very early in ordering my new curriculum. So, even though we are are only in Week 4 of World History and Literature, I am already looking for next year - US History to 1877.

Is there an optional reading/dvd list at the back of the lesson plans for US History to 1877 and how could I possibly get a copy of that ahead of time so I can order enrichment books and dvds for the year?
Hi over there in Zambia, wow!

Each year of high school is a little different. In US1, there is a LOT of reading, so there isn't any kind of reading or DVD list in the back or front of the manual. There will be something more like you are describing in US2.

There is one spot in the week 20 notes where students choose a book, either Uncle Tom's Cabin or Little Women, or it could be something else approved by the parent. My son was in a boys' book club that year, so he didn't do those, but they would be good and available at many libraries, if there is much of one near you? They may be available online, as well, since they are likely old enough to be copyright-free.

There are also 2 movies mentioned at that time (Gettysburg and Gods & Generals).

Anyway, repeating myself to say that there is already a LOT of reading in US1, both in the included literature and inside the Lit Supplement, so not much more is needed.

HTH,
Julie

Mom-n-Zam

Re: 11th grade Optional Reading/DVD List

Unread post by Mom-n-Zam » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:38 am

Perfect - that is all I needed to know. Thank you!!

K Rod

US History (BJU Press) (11th-12th Grade) Test Key Errors

Unread post by K Rod » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:21 pm

For everyone grading/correcting these US History tests, there are a few errors in the Tests as well as in the Answer Keys.

Chapter 2 Test Answer Key #46 change “Romanist” (in the answer) to “Roman Catholic.”
Chapter 7 Test Answer Key #28 change answer to “the Preamble.”
Chapter 12 TEST #42 add “settlers,” after “explorers,”.
Chapter 18 Test Answer Key #40 change the correct answer choice to choice C
Chapter 18 Test Answer Key #41 change the correct answer choice to choice B.
Chapter 19 TEST #24 change the statement to “Germany’s promise that it would resume following international law”
Chapter 22 TEST #33 change “country” to “region.”
Chapter 27 Test Answer Key #42 change the answer to “C” (“obstruction of justice”).

This info has been obtained from BJU Press directly. They offer this link for all corrections in this set of US History materials
http://www.bjupress.com/resources/herit ... orrections

Please note : These corrections apply to the 4th Edition.
Julie in MN wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:20 am
Thanks for sharing that! BJU seems pretty good about posting errata right away.