US1 & US2 Discussions - Bible

Julie in MN

Re: US1 Bible

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Good morning,
We are only 1/2 way through US1 Bible or so, due to many things, so I hope someone else chimes in, too. But the view from here...

1. Thinking Like a Christian has been our Bible study so far. Yes, you could do this without the manual, at about a chapter a week. However, you'd lose several good helps:

- Of course, the US1 manual schedules things out for you, including quizzes and tests, video reviews, etc., the work was done by Marie and tested with a lot of students.
- The US1 manual gives "projects" to do for each unit, or each week. I'm thinking these are only in the MFW manual, so that's probably the biggest difference.
- Not sure if you meant to get the materials through MFW, but MFW organizes the parent materials into the spiral book, including test answers, while the student materials are in the appendix of the US1 manual, including handouts, worksheets, and tests. I'd guess these are all on the CD together? Also, I think I heard somewhere that the CD-ROM of parent materials is much longer, and MFW's spiral-bound booklet for parents is a more manageable size - not sure if this is just a convenience factor or actually somewhat a content factor? I really felt my son needed the parent lessons and discussions, so if you don't have the US1 manual, then I would spend some time getting to know these materials and prepping the parent lessons, if you have time for those. (There's a second option in US1 for less parent involvement.)

2. Next we'll be doing Assumptions that Affect our Lives. Yes, that also could be done on your own, and the questions are right in the book, with just some helpful scheduling and a note in the manual when you first begin.

3. Christian Character & Growing Up Christian are alternated at the end of the year. There are notes in the manual the first time you use each of these, what parts to do on what days, including Bible memory verses, but then you just follow the basic pattern in the US1 grid.

I haven't checked as to whether answer keys for second semester are in the manual or other MFW materials?

Hope that helps you decide,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

lotsuvlittles

Re: US1 Bible

Unread post by lotsuvlittles » Tue May 21, 2013 2:18 pm

Thank you ladies!
WHL...10th
EX-1850...8th, 6th, 4th
ACE PACEs...5th
Doing their own thing...1st, K

Julie in MN

Operation World/Pray for the World

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:25 pm

blgrunen wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:20 am
How do people use the Operation World/Pray for the World book with highschool US 1877 to present curriculum? Is the student just supposed to read sections and decide what they want to pray for that day? Maybe I am making this too complicated but can't seem to grasp how they are to exactly do this! Any ideas are appreciated!
Brenda
Hi Brenda,
Here are some things in the manual that might help.

1. Students read the intro material scheduled during week 1
2. Students read World Magazine on Fridays and then, from the notes at the end of week 1: "use Operation World to find information and prayer needs for one of the countries mentioned"
3. They might be using Operation World for some of the things outlined in week 18 notes for the rest of the year, which is putting into practice the things learned from the Bible materials read during 1st semester as well as adding the YWAM Prayer Diary around January 1.
4. For students earning the full Geography credit, some weeks will have students use Operation World, focusing on particular areas of the world that relate to history. That will be on the bottom row of the grid.

Not sure if you noticed those already and are looking for more personal experiences?
Julie

Julie in MN

US 1 - Worldview exam questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:30 pm

BlossomsGirl wrote:
Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:52 am
I am wondering how other students have done with the Thinking Like A Christian tests/exams. Ds did okay on the quizzes but horrible on the first exam. Also 6 essays sounds crazy for this. I had him do three. It seemed like many of the multiple choice questions were hard to figure out also. This is my second time through this course and I still cannot figure out several questions. Also it would be nice to have some teacher direction with the exam answers.

Is it just me?
Hello!
I was going to dig out my son's book today but haven't gotten around to it. It's been several years now, so it's stored away and, well, not on the top after several years have passed :)

In the meanwhile, I thought I'd ask whether you are either doing the Option 1, doing a lesson weekly with your student, or whether you are doing Option 2 and discussing at the parent meeting on Fridays? How are those discussions going? Are you catching any misunderstandings during your conversations, or errors on the study questions?

If all that is going fine and it's just the tests, then I'd consider letting him do the next one open-book. The skill of learning what teachers expect you to know on tests is a good one, and finding the information was all taught can be eye opening in some cases :~ Also, if there's a question that you don't want in there, based on not having emphasized that or not thinking it's well-worded, then just take it out :) A final option would be to offer extra credit if tests are not going well - my oldest, public schooled, used that option all of the time in high school. When a student did poorly on a public school exam, they often had the option of doing an extra assignment for "extra credit" towards that test score.

As far as the essays, I do still have those on my computer, since my son typed everything. He was pretty loose and apparently I did not object. It was a difficult time in our lives, so perhaps I would've said more at another time, but it turned out okay :) So, his last essay, responding to the slogans, was written as a little dialogue with a sentence of response to each one. Not the best, but it was about as mature as he was at that point (he's feeling quite mature now compared to other students on his college campus, so it doesn't mean a kid will never grow up LOL).

Basically, the worldviews credit was very important to me, so getting him to understand was more important than high school study skills for that particular credit.

Hope those wandering thoughts have a bit of something helpful in them somewhere ;)
Julie

BlossomsGirl

Re: US 1 - Worldview exam questions

Unread post by BlossomsGirl » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi and thanks for your reply, I've gained a lot from your insight on other MFW highschool topics you have replied on.

We are doing the teacher involved option. I teach the lesson every Friday and we go over the student journal daily. I had a hard time with this subject when I did it with my oldest a few years ago, so I bought the Understanding the Times book to educate myself. This son seems to understand the material, but doesn't tend to put a lot of thought into his responses either in the journal or with the study questions. I have not been going over the study questions with him mostly because I don't have an answer guide to them, and I have been trying to let go some on nagging him to be prepared.

I like the idea of an open book test, but I think I will require all the essays answered next time. I thought the essays he did answer were not that bad, but they were nowhere near the length they required (which I thought was a bit much). For this test, I think I will have him answer the other 3 essays open book and call it good.

Michelle

Julie in MN

Re: US 1 - Worldview exam questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:05 pm

It sounds like you have a great balance of his strengths and needs, as well as how to guide a young man who sounds a bit like my younger son - definitely not an oldest who had to do all things correctly LOL. Maybe someone else will chime in, but meanwhile it's great you're finding peace with a plan :)

Julie