US1 & US2 Discussions - Bible

Bret Welshymer

US1 & US2 Discussions - Bible

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Mon May 16, 2011 3:54 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:Thinking Like a Christian...has anyone used this? I see it in the high school package for us for next year (year 3). I'm wondering if anyone has used it. I have a friend that was wanting to do the Truth Project, possibly, in a co-op situation. I'd definitely wind up picking one or the other. I'm just wanting reviews to see what people's thoughts are on TLaC.
We have completed the Truth Project as a family and TLAC as a part of US1. Both are excellent. The TLAC Student Journal gave my daughter consistent opportunities to reflect on and apply what she was learning. Teaching TLAC to my daughter provided a platform for many conversations that we would not have had otherwise. Because TLAC is integrated into the Bible and English in US1, I would recommend TLAC over Truth project in order to provide a coherent, evenly scheduled overall program for the school year.

Julie in MN

Bible in US1 (& US2)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:23 pm

deltagal wrote:Could you elaborate on the Bible in the US1? How intertwined is it with the History/Literature study?
Is there a journal for this year, as well? What about church history in this era?
Would it help to see the website info while you wait? That's all I know about it yet.
  • On Fridays, the student and parent have a conference to discuss the week's topics and review completed work. Also on Fridays for the first half of the year, parents have the option to prepare and teach 45-minute lessons for Thinking Like a Christian.

We suggest two options for using Thinking Like a Christian:

Option 1 requires the active involvement of the parent/teacher to read the lesson ahead of time, prepare, and teach a weekly 45-minute teaching session and short review. (Detailed lesson plans are provided.) This option provides for valuable interaction about Biblical worldview between student and parent/teacher.

Option 2 is available for circumstances in which families cannot follow option 1. The student will not have the benefit of additional enrichment activities, guided discussions, and structured input from the parent/teacher; this is a self-teaching option. Option 2 still provides exposure to an excellent Biblical worldview course.

Biblical Worldview

Develop a consistent Biblical worldview in the areas of theology, philosophy, biology, psychology, ethics, sociology, law, politics, economics, and history. Study Thinking Like a Christian by David Noebel and Chuck Edwards of Summit Ministries as well as Assumptions That Affect Our Lives by Dr. Christian Overman. Includes a daily journal and projects.
    Grow in applying God's truths to daily life through the encouragement and challenges in Growing Up Christian and Christian Character.

Participate in service projects chosen and/or developed by the student and the parent/teacher.
Oh, and didn't Bret say that a lot of the English essays will build on the Worldview lessons this year?
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12049

Looking forward to Crystal's observations!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Bible in US1

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:47 pm

deltagal wrote:So, it sounds like there's no journal in this year. Is that correct?
US2 definitely has prayer journaling with YWAM Prayer Diary. 2nd semester

1st semester US 2
plenty of journaling with the very little book "My Heart-Christ's Home". wow... they took this little tiny book and are doing a lot with it. each day in the book journal on lots of deeper thinking questions, look up scripture, memory verses...

there's a "student workbook" that is about half the US 2 daily lesson planner... wow... lots of Bible study in that with places to write. I'll figure out when that comes in the program....
WOW! oh wow!!!!!!!!
I just read how that part of the Bible study/memory work is used..
I wish I would have had something like this in college when I first became a Christian... wow wo wow owwwwwww
it's all about teaching them how to do this Bible study stuff on their own for the rest of their lives.
wow! hey bret.. is this the part Cureton wrote?

.. moving to week 3 now.. prayer notebook
scripture memory journal

study guide for Loving God book...

so the "discipline skills" are "taught" in first semester.. and now... as parent and student together... it's time to build it on your own and not lean on Marie or Scott to do it for you..... oh they give a little bit of guidelines and suggestions... but as it says in the song "little bird"... time to spread your wings and fly.. fly fly...

and that's just bible... in US 2.

English - first semester - writing "novel review summaries". I don't want to say "high school book reports" because people will laugh and scoff it... Students read about 9 novels in the first semester and the writing and literature analysis is done by accumulating all of the years of instruction in 9th, 10th and 11th and pulling it together. They are called "novel reviews" and students do it free style to write about plot, themes, worldviews, and "personal" thoughts on novel. So, it isn't more instruction given because it's time to practice it all. in the big picture stuff.... MFW seems to encourage CLEP English at end of 11th grade, if that helps see it isn't too light.
Research paper is also done.
English 2nd semester - speech and communications. I haven't looked through that yet..

I just get chills up and down my spine hoping for fruit from US 2 Bible... wow.. wow... Seriously... the things in there are the things that when I became a Christian as a young adult age 19 that I had to learn to do on my own in college. Yes, I was in a group, IVCF, and they had resources for it... but I had no one to really help me with it.... what a great opportunity MFW is giving us in US 2 for that last push out of the nest...

what else can I look up?
-crystal

deltagal

Unread post by deltagal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 pm

Oh, Crystal you are too funny.

"This year" means US1, but it's great to learn about US2, as well.

US2 Bible does sound GREAT! Now, back to US1. Is there journaling in there, as well. And is there a particular scripture focus?

Oh, yes and I picked up something on another thread about hilighting text. Is that a basic component all throughout high-school?

This is SOOOO helpful to be able to ask these questions.
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:42 pm

deltagal wrote:Could you elaborate on the Bible in the US1? How intertwined is it with the History/Literature study?
Is there a journal for this year, as well? What about church history in this era?
Thinking Like A Christian in US 1 includes a book called STudent Journal. 11 weeks, once a day thingy

what was the question again? journaling... and "particular scripture focus"

In US 1, the Bible study is more of "worldview" and unit study based and not "read through all of OT or NT" like the previous two years. Instead, it will be Bible studies on mini units to help the student think about how does God's word apply to real life topics that will affect me everyday.

that's going to be Assumptions book and TLAC (did it again Julie... I typed and thought Thinking LIke a Children. LOL LOL LOL ok everyone.. if i type Children instead of Christian.... just laugh.. gently. I have a feeling.. LOL)

More journaling is done with "Christian Character". What book is that? well, on the website that has a bland boring snooze cover... oh my. that is bland and boring... hey when will Paige's husband design something cool for it? c'mon...
but that book is all journaling... it's adapted from some old book and reprint and stuff.

so again - there's the unit study Bible study this year.

but wait... there's more,
in the Bible check list section of the daily grids, there's a check box for Bible reading. well? what gives? right?
MFW suggests that parents and student work together to find a Bible reading plan for the year. It can be from online schedule (chronological, bible in a year, etc). It could be follow what your church is doing. It could be "re-read what you are interested in ".
you'll like this:
"We suggest that you keep a journal - a spiral notebook will do - and briefly record what you learn. example I read 1 Sam 1:1-20 and stopped there because I was challenged by Hannah's grief.

keep asking.... because I didn't go through the whole manual yet....or talk about the response questions to the TLAC video and

ok. I'm tired now... I'm glad my children are young enough to have the energy for this.

remember -if it is too much writing they can type, blog, grab the web cam or cell phone and record their answers.

-crystal

deltagal

Unread post by deltagal » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:19 pm

Oh my, it all sounds sooooo good. Thank you Crystal and Julie.

So, what is the highlighting I read about? Is that in WHL or AHL, not US1 or US2?

I'm guessing that in US2 students do their own Bible reading plan, as well?

Lots to mull over here. You can really tell MFW has given a lot of careful thought to this.
With Joy!
Florence

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:50 pm

yes. they have given a lot of thought to it. It's gone through pre pilot and pilot families before I got to have it. Will you get to a convention to see it in person?

US 2 - first semester... it's planned for you in the unit study format with Operation World, My Heart Christ's Home, The Hour That Changes the World, Scripture Memory Made Easy. Loving God. then ywam prayer thing is suggested for calendar year. however, there is not a separate check box the way you'll see in US1. There's plenty daily in unit study format...

2nd semester. students use the schedule in YWAM prayer diary.... several plans to use that book are given. covers Psalms Proverbs 4 gospels and Romans. (that might be subject to change each year on that ywam thing, I dont' know) However.... some of the planning is left to parents and student to plan to incorporate: memory work, prayer, bible reading, fasting. so a frame work is given on those topics. some resources are more planned..(ywam is planned) others are "keep on what you started doing in first semester with this book and you decide next". so for the 2nd semester.... there are notes of what to do to plan... but not "check box for each of those disciplines". trust me.. it's very clear in the manual.

what part of the highlighting are you asking about? It's not a huge deal. as the year went on, I had to make my daughter stop it because she was highlighting everything so nothing was special. do you go to a church where the preacher will say things like "underline that" or "make a note"... it's that kind of thing.
You can do that if you want. or not. which program is in it? definitely in WHL.. they even suggest color coding it... but I think I brought it up when you were asking for any thing that is writing in the program and how things are studied or potential for taking notes... is that done in us1 or 2? I don't know. It's one of those things that is part of what we do when we study. I had my daughter drop it in WHL because she otherwise was just marking too much and it was cluttered for her brain...

Julie.. what's been your experience with your son on that? our kids are opposites....

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:19 pm

cbollin wrote:Julie.. what's been your experience with your son on that? our kids are opposites....
Yes, my son does things his own way :)

He does not color. He has always had the choice, since he started homeschooling in 3rd grade, of typing up something instead of coloring, and almost always chooses NOT to color. So now in 10th when the highlighting is assigned, instead he emails me a couple of sentences each day about his Bible reading and/or his Heroes. They are very short, but I enjoy them :) and I think they keep the info in his mind slightly longer. He's not too shy, so let's see, I'll share his last one. It was about Ephesians. He wrote, "Paul's letter to the Ephesians shows his love for people very well. I noticed he mentioned things like "before God made the world, he had a plan for you!" a lot. It seemed like a theme."

Julie
cbollin wrote:ah... I see.... my gal just comes out of her hiding area and begins to share it all. talk talk talk talk.... it definitely is her way of keeping the info longer. or she might post something on FB, or message a friend/youth pastor.. elder... adult..
"oh Miss Patty! look at what I was reading in Bible in school today.. that's exactly what you were talking about on Sunday at small group...."

what is it about writing is so easy when it's just chit chatting and fellowship? kwim?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:12 am

deltagal wrote:Would you say that the Bible in MFW High school builds on the previous year?
Yes.
deltagal wrote:If we begin in WHL or even US1 are we missing something that might make a significant difference in our progression?
I have 2 answers.
First, the entire Bible is read over AHL and WHL. That's important foundation. It can be scheduled and read in or prior to using US1 from online resources such as Bible in a year. Chronological... etc. It is my guess that TLAC assumes student is familiar with the Bible as a whole.

Second answer: God's grace is sufficient. It certainly was in my case when I began to study the Bible as a freshman in college and could barely find the table of contents and didn't know the OT from NT.

personal reflection.... I remember feeling overwhelmed in college with the college christian group.... everyone there knew the lingo and knew way more than me... they knew all of this stuff. I didn't. they threw it at me all at once... "so you're a new believer. hallejujah.. welcome along..... now you need to do this this this that and change your clothes you secular sleezy gal of the 80's... and and and ...."
well.. I don't think that kind of overwhelm feeling will happen in your child's case if you start in US1. There are people who start MFW in 10th 11th and 12th grade and I don't think their senior consultants tell them to take a crash course in apologetics, or bible reading 101 before starting.... so it probably works out.
deltagal wrote:Regrettably I will not be able to attend a convention. We have a family event that will prevent me from making it to the VA one this year. So, I'm trying to pick and choose on-line.

bummer... well I wish you lived close enough to me you could check it all out... I might even find a new book case just for high school. I should go buy one today. Don't know where to put it.. but these boxes and piles of boxes are hard to deal with.

-crystal

deltagal

Unread post by deltagal » Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:24 am

Thank you Crystal and Julie. I'll put this to prayer and see where the Lord leads. Happy Easter to you both! :)
With Joy!
Florence

Julie in MN

Bible for US History to 1877?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:We are starting tomorrow! Yeah! My dd15 has already read through the OT and NT using AHL and WHL the past 2 years. In US1, the Bible portion (not Biblical Wordview) recommends reading from the Bible each day, to make it a habit that hopefully will stick with the student. I'm looking for something a bit more along the line of a devotion or even a short Bible study that I could do each day with my daughter. Any suggestions? I really like Beth Moore's Bible studies but wonder if it would be too much? Perhaps I should just download a schedule to read through her Bible in a Year? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!
The church we are going to is reading "The Story" this coming school year as a congregation. I plan to just use that for my son's Bible study in US1 (didn't your church do that last year, Crystal?). My son and I don't really get into devotionals or "Bible studies" too much; we prefer just reading the Bible. I actually have a strong bias because I was greatly led astray as a youth by folks who "jumped around" in the Bible, and then other folks who quoted other bits and reached other conclusions. However, each of us has been known to get into a Bible study on occasion when doing it with someone else, so that can be a motivator at our house. It seems like those opportunities just present themselves to us at the right time. Pray and God may reveal something that's just right for you.

Over the years, when we've needed more Bible, we've just picked a book. The letters, like Crystal mentioned, and the prophets are ones I often don't get thru, so I like that idea. One year I did the 1st grade Proverbs copywork with my son (about in 8th grade), and ds has always had a fondness for Proverbs since then, has probably went thru those a million times. Nothing wrong with being an expert in a particular area :)

Often my son listens to a Bible audio at bedtime. He really likes Uncle Rick's audios, even though I think he's supposed to be reading to little ones :) I do always feel ds needs to "do something" with it or it will float away, so I usually have him email me a sentence or two about what he's read. Someone else I know had their child just write a list for each book read - most important person, etc. I also like the Greenleaf Guide for some simple reminders/connections, at least for OT history. I also like just reading the footnotes in a study Bible.

Just some more ideas,
Julie

Sue G in PA

Re: Bible for US History to 1877?

Unread post by Sue G in PA » Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:55 pm

Julie ...thanks for your suggestions. Well, today I just happened upon the PERFECT Bible plan for my dd. :-) Just wanted to share in case it appealed to anyone else. http://www.2to1conference.com/180-days-in-the-word/ And it's only $5! I really like it and am going to do it with my dd. I love how God just knows exactly what we are looking for and supplies that need in His timing. :-)

We will do our first Thinking Like a Christian lesson tomorrow (we are off Friday) and I am excited. We've had 3 pretty good days of high school.

Julie in MN

US1 - Thinking Like a Christian

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:30 am

sewardmom wrote:I don't see where MFW uses the TLC CD-rom. Anybody using it?
~Terri
We haven't started, but I had wondered if the spiral manual is based on teacher info on the CD (maybe MFW-ized). I'll have to start looking thru everything more closely pretty soon. Mostly just bumping you up.
Julie

sewardmom

Re: US1 - Thinking Like a Christian

Unread post by sewardmom » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:05 am

Nothing like answering my own question.... :-)

Popped in the CD (didn't spend a lot of time there) and it is a teacher resource with outline/questions, printables for groups....... Basics look a whole lot like the MFW teacher guide for TLC.

So if the teacher guide gets lost, this could be used as a backup.

Nice to know,
~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

DS4home

Re: US1 - Thinking Like a Christian

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Seems like I remember talking to someone at convention a couple of years ago about this. If I remember right, they said the TG and the CD are one and the same, they just printed it off for us to make it easier to use. Hope I haven't misquoted, but I think that's what they were telling me.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

cbollin

US1 - Thinking Like A Christian

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:10 pm

joyfulmom wrote:I am preparing for teaching Thinking Like A Christian. I have read through the parent/teacher guide for lesson 1. I am in the process of reading Chapter 1 of the teaching textbook. My question relates to the Student Journal - is there an answer key anywhere for it? Or is it not necessary?

Thanks,
Lori G
ah.. I know this one. I'm in week 5, so I've seen the answer in week 2 of the daily lesson planner.
it says....Note: There is no answer key for the study questions in TLAC. They are designed to help the student focus on key ideas as he reads the chapter. The assignment is counted as successfully completed if the student answer the questions thoroughly and thoughtfully.

as a parent, I haven't needed an answer key for the student journal, but I was so glad to get my own copy of the student journal. with checking for completion in this book, I look to see that my child has something in there. Then we do it all as discussion. I read from my copy of the book and ask her to look at her answers. and if she didn't have something on it, it was ok as long as we talked about it. It really was more to have something to discuss from the chapters during "review" time.

overall, I'm enjoying doing this class with her. I'm not finding it to be a huge awful time commitment on my part. I can teach the lessons from the parent guide on the fly (blush... I know MFW, I not supposed to do that, I know..), and then on weekend for my personal quiet time, I can read the chapter and scan the journal pages to be ready.
joyfulmom wrote:Thanks Crystal - I was thinking it might be nice to have my own copy of the student journal, so after what you wrote I think I will go ahead and get myself one.
I also got a parent copy of the "character" booklet. .... It will just be easier on me to discuss from my copy, and let my daughter write honestly in her copy without the "eek! I don't really want you to read this"... that's ok with me.

not everyone will need that, but.. I was glad to get it when I did my 2nd order with that student journal.

joyfulmom

Re: US1 - Thinking Like A Christian

Unread post by joyfulmom » Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:05 pm

Thanks for the heads up - I'll take a look at the character book this weekend. :)
Lori

2016-2017 1st, 1850-Mod, Ancient History & Lit, 1877 to present
2015-2016 K, Exp to 1850, US history to 1877
2014-2015 RTR, World History
2013-2014 1st, CTG, Ancient History
2012-2013 K, ECC

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:46 pm

You guys have some interesting ideas here, hmmm...

Tracey in ME

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:51 pm

We are enjoying this, too. The first week was way more time consuming than the second...which is good. So, don't worry about subsequent weeks taking a lot of prep.
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

cbollin

DVD thinking like a Christian?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:06 am

ilovemy4kids wrote:Ok, I know I'm probably missing what is in plain sight, but WHEN do we use the DVD for Thinking like a Christian? We are doing Option 1 - parental teaching. Thanks!
Sandra
It is used for review time at midterm after you finish lessons 1-6. so that's week 8
and then after you finish 7-12... week 15.

We're on week 9 in US1 or I wouldn't have known this either. The video is time to review and study for the midterm/final exams.

-crystal

ilovemy4kids

Re: DVD thinking like a Christian?

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:13 am

Thank you Crystal! :-)

Julie in MN

Thinking Like a Christian Resources

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:40 am

momxnine wrote:For those of you who have done "Thinking Like a Christian," what were the best resources for the articles. I can't get everything that's on the list, so I'm wondering which ones are the best. :)

I was going to do this course over the summer kind of as a stand-alone course for both my boys, 15 & 17. Will it be too much for my 15 year old (he'll be 15 at the beginning of the summer)? He seems to think pretty deep, sometimes more so than the 17 year old, but I also don't want to overwhelm him. I was just trying to "kill two birds with one stone" here. :)
Hi Vicki,
For us this year, our article sources have been just random.

The first lesson when I was to gather the articles, I just used our local, free little paper we get on Wednesdays. That worked well because the goal of the lesson was to take things that my son would think are *not* related to faith, and begin to show him that *everything* is related to our faith. The local paper articles were things like a wedding announcement, a local police incident, a high school sporting achievement, a city council decision, a letter to the editor, a local church craft fair, an article on the housing market, etc. I also took a couple of "movie star" type articles from the little "weekend" magazine in the Sunday paper ads.

Another time, when the goal was to look at more "worldly" issues, I purposely asked him to hunt through our more "Christian" news sources, such as World News and HSLDA's magazine. At first, he said those wouldn't have any examples of addictions and other worldly topics. I was glad for the chance to remind him that these are full of such examples of medical clinics, legislative histories, media and sports issues, and other public concerns. He had seen all these things, but somehow he hadn't connected the dots.

Other times, we've just chatted about different events we've heard about recently, and often we were familiar with different events so we could tell each other about them. Then during the lesson, I'd bring them into the discussion as examples. I have been known to look up a particular news story on the internet, as well :)

Our method isn't very organized, but I'm happy with how it's going.
Julie

momxnine

Re: Thinking Like a Christian Resources

Unread post by momxnine » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks Julie! I was going to make it harder than it sounds like it has to be. I didn't even think about using my HSLDA magazine! I did think of the World magazines though. But craft fairs, letters to the editor, etc..... I wouldn't have thought about those either. Obviously, I need this course as much as they do. ;)
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

Julie in MN

Re: Thinking Like a Christian Resources

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Yes, I'm enjoying it. It's the kind of things I sometimes thought my son got, but he really didn't. Or things I wanted to have time to discuss, but never did.

Enjoy!
Julie

DS4home

US1 Bible

Unread post by DS4home » Mon May 06, 2013 11:23 am

lotsuvlittles wrote:My daughter has used MFW for the last 4yrs, 7th-10th grades, and has really enjoyed the curriculum. For her next school year she has opted to start college classes online, but she would like to continue with the MFW Bible for 11th grade. Is it possible to go through the books used in US1 Bible without having to buy the daily lesson plans or would there be important stuff she would miss out on? Opinions please :)

TIA!
This is basically what we did.
If you go to the MFW home page and look up the high school US1 info. you can then pull up the sample pages for that year. It shows you how the books are scheduled week by week. I just followed the basic outline of how those books are scheduled.
I don't have the TM for that year so I don't know what we missed out on as far as extra notes that Marie may have written to the student. But it was a good year with the chosen books regardless!
Hope someone can chime in who has the TM!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1