Placement - Can the 3 credits be separated out, doing parts?

Julie in MN

Re: High school Bible

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:11 am

Kisses for Katie would be a great one if you are studying geography (Africa).

Operation World is a step up from Windows on the World.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Lucy

Re: High school Bible

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Ger,

As far as using our the last 2 years of our high school curriculum, there are a total of 6 1/4 credits. Only 1 of those is the a U.S. history credit. You can easily use the last two years of the high school curriculum and omit this credit ( a semester of the history each year), since your son has completed this credit. Once completed a student will earn a 1 credit each year for Bible and English, and 1/2 credit each for government and economics, and a 1/4 credit of geography (the other 1/4 credit is earned during World History and Literature. This is a total of 5 1/4 credits.

Please call our office at 573-202-2000 for more information about making a plan for your high school student.

Julie in MN

Using IEW SICC Level C with WHL?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 21, 2013 10:13 am

homeforhim wrote:My son has expressed an interest in returning to IEW next year after a couple of years break. I am thinking of using their SICC Level C and wondered if anyone on the board has used it in conjunction with the writing in WHL? I realize the instruction is meant to be provided by Writers Inc and I would have that on hand as well. Some of the essay types in SICC-C actually dovetail with the latter half of the lit assignments in WHL. Just thought someone may have tried it (or would advise against it!)!

Blessings,
Rachael
Hi Rachael,
There are some various conversations here about subbing out parts of MFW high school:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11161

I did one of the SICC courses with my older dd, and as I recall it isn't a full year's worth, but more a video of a weekend workshop or the like? Not sure if my memory is faulty there, but if i'm remembering correctly, then it shouldn't be hard to fit that into WHL somewhere.

To me, the beginning of the WHL year fits in very nicely, with writing a play while reading Julius Caesar, and then going to writing a research paper. It might be difficult to interrupt either of those and succeed at them? But after that, the writing assignments are pretty varied and I would think you could combine or sub as you go? You might want to evaluate your son's needs in light of both assignments, and choose from there. For instance, my youngest is very creative in his writing so I would have no need of forcing him to "dress up" his sentences, but instead would want him to focus on supporting facts in his MFW assignments. However, my dd was more of a Dick-n-Jane, memorize-the-encyclopedia type of writer, so that's why I used IEW methods with her for a short time.

It will help that your son already has experience with IEW, so he won't be spending a ton of time "learning their language," which can be kind of top-heavy IMO.

I imagine there are others out there who have experience trying to combine the two, but hopefully this will at least give you some ideas.
Julie

homeforhim

Re: Using IEW SICC Level C with WHL?

Unread post by homeforhim » Wed May 22, 2013 8:30 pm

Thank you again, Julie, for taking the time to respond to my question. I did read the post you linked and it was helpful. I have much food for thought and must take some time now to figure things out!

Blessings,
Rachael

DS4home

If you weren't going to use the English in MFW high scho

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:55 pm

praisefor3 wrote:We used the 9th grade high school last year and had planned to buy and use the whole 10th grade package. However, for a few different reasons (none of them negative about the program) we have decided to let DS take a local English/writing class with other homeschoolers this year. I definitely would not plan to still use the grammar/writing/literature portions of the MFW program (except where they directly related to history). If I still use MFW I would not purchase those books in the program. I've used 7 levels of MFW already so I'm familiar with how the program is laid out.

So...if you were going to cut out at least 1/3 of the high school program, would it still be worth it to you to use the program for the history portions? I do not have the time to piece together a whole history package on my own so I do need some "packaged" program. Just not sure if by cutting out that much of the remaining "pieces" if the program is still worth it.
For sanity's sake, I think it would still be worth it. It will schedule out all the Bible readings so that by the end of the year your student will have read the entire Bible word for word over the past two years! It's nice to have that scheduled as well as including the other texts (scheduled at appropriate times) that round out the Bible credit. Same goes with history. I would totally forget to do the timeline until probably semester time and then try to catch up and it would be a disaster!! You will also have the maps scheduled in for you.

As far as cost goes, it would be minimal for the benefit you would receive. You already own the Notgrass things and Map activities book from AHL. It makes sense to go ahead and get the TM that will schedule it out for you. The only other books you need are 5 books for the Bible credit, History of the World, and timeline figures.

I say go for it! You'll be happy you did :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Re: If you weren't going to use the English in MFW high scho

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:29 am

I am in agreement with Dawn that it's do-able and worth it, to me. We've had a few conversations about it in the past, and maybe they will help confirm:

As you mentioned, some of the major writing assignments may correlate with history, or with the apologetics as the student compares other ancient writings to the Bible. You might be able to just use those writing topics for parent discussion, or possibly as writing topics in your other program.

As to whether the literature relates to history, actually all of it does, so not sure what you'll decide about that. Part of your decision might depend on how much the writing class includes literature; if there is no literature included, then I would expect you'd want to add some MFW lit, but if there's already a lot then maybe you could read an excerpt or watch a movie, just so your student can compare other ancient writings to the Old Testament. Some of that might depend on how much your student likes to read vs. watch :)

Julie

luv2tch

Unread post by luv2tch » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks for these replies. My dd will be doing US1 this year, and she may take an English Comp class at our local Jr college this spring, so I might be trying to do the same thing. I'm still planning to have her do the writing/lit portions of MFW in the 1st semester. Even though we haven't done things this way before, I think it would be worthwhile, also, to have the Bible and History all laid out for you in the plans. You might even want to have her read some of the lit during the summer--there are some very good books included in that year! Hope it goes well!
Rhonda--Married 19 years to David
Traded classroom teaching for homeschooling!
Currently: C2G, AHL, and US 1
dd, 11th grade
ds, 9th grade
ds, 6th grade
"His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness..." 2 Peter 1:3

praisefor3

Unread post by praisefor3 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:13 pm

So we have decided to definitely have ds take the lit/writing course offered locally. Do I understand it right that the only books out of this year's package that I need to order are: Heroes of the Faith, Church Hist in Plain Language, More than a Carpenter, Christianity, Cult & Religion and Experiencing God? What about Four Views of the End Times and Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret?

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:11 pm

Okay, I'll try. Although you really should probably call the office about your order, because they remember every detail.

BIBLE:
Daily Lesson Plans
Heroes of the Faith
Church History in Plain Language
More Than a Carpenter
Christianity, Cults & Religions
Experiencing God: Youth Edition
Four Views of the End Times - yes, this is another pamphlet that is part of Bible

HISTORY (in addition to things you have from AHL):
Timeline Figures x 2
World History Timeline Book
History of the World (My Father's World Edition)

Hudson Taylor is scheduled as literature, although of course it's a good extra to have on hand for reading.

HTH,
Julie

Julie in MN

WHL without writing?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:34 pm

heartnseoul wrote:My 9th grade dd is currently finishing AHL. She has really enjoyed it and is looking forward to WHL.

Dd is an enthusiastic and accomplished writer. Next year she'll be working on specific skills that she wants to improve. I'm wondering:

1) How integral is Writer's Inc to WHL? Would it be easy to skip it? Would she then miss history/Bible-based writing assignments?

2) If we skip Writer's Inc., would we be able to add in a fairly intensive writing curriculum?

Ideally, I'd like to have her do WHL *with* the history/Bible related assignments but without Writer's Inc. (so, like a history class but not a writing class) and have her get her writing instruction separately. For those of you who are familiar with WHL, would that work?
Thanks!
Jen
Hi Jen,
Just to start the conversation quickly, I know there is some conversation about that here:

The things you would be subbing out would be clearly marked on the grid, so you could evaluate as you go. Things you might want to be sure your student is getting in the other program:

1. Literature, of course (world lit is the focus in WHL).
2. Responding to literature in some way, so if your student doesn't do a play with Julius Caesar or a character sketch with Pride & Prejudice, you may want to be sure you take time to talk through any world literature or whatever literature you end up using.
3. A long research report. This skill was very helpful for later college classes.
4. A couple of other Writers Inc assignments seemed good to me. I'm thinking of the "letter to the editor" work I did with my son, and the conversation here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=14502

Keep asking, that was just a short answer for me :)
Julie

Julie in MN

New to MFW with a quesiton

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:34 pm

mariposa1127 wrote:I am planning on using MFW for High School and I am very excited. My son really wanted to read through the whole Bible and so I did some research and found this program. It was really an answer to prayer.

We have a writing and grammar program that we really like. Should I do all the writing lessons in MFW and the program I have? Could I do only some of the writing assignments in MFW? If I was to do only some which ones would you suggest that I have my son complete? Would I need the Ancient Literature Supplement with Grammar and Composition?
Hi and welcome!
There are folks who do MFW high school but separate out a different English credit. Here's a thread with some various experiences on that: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11161

To answer your question more particularly, I'm going to assume that the writing/grammar you have won't be a full English credit. In other words, I'm assuming you'll be doing the literature in AHL. If so, then the Lit Supplement will be used for the literature studies.

The Lit Supplement includes:
1. Instructions on writing the argumentative essays in AHL, about 6 of them over the year. I would suggest using some of these assignments, even if you to them using your own writing program for instruction.

2. Grammar, mostly involving improving those essays but also some basic grammar review.

3. Literature studies. These are like Progeny Press guides, if you are familiar with those, except these are written by Smarr. There is a guide for three of the literature pieces in AHL, with vocabulary, comprehension, etc.

Here is a longer explanation that I wrote back when we were in 9th: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 776#p70945

Also, there are some shorter essays assigned for history. I would think that you could go over things and pick and choose what you want him to do, what you want him to skip, and what you want to merge -- the program you have might include assignments that could be done on any topic and you might plug in an AHL topic. Of course, it's easier if you just do the English credit as planned, but we never seemed to do that at our house :o) My son was in a boys book club, for instance, and that was too important to me to skip so we merged some things.

Does that help you visualize it all?
Julie

Julie in MN

How interwoven is the AHL Supplement?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:44 pm

far above rubies wrote:
Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:19 am
My daughter is starting AHL in the fall, but she's going to do a semester of Writing with Skill in the beginning. It made me wonder about the supplement though. Is it OK to go ahead and begin AHL and then pick up the supplement in the 2nd semester? Or is the supplement totally interwoven into the curriculum?
There has been discussion in the past about doing AHL without the English credit. There may be some useful tidbits here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11161

However, I don't remember chatting about doing half of AHL's English before. Interesting idea. Here are some random thoughts and hopefully others will chime in.

1. If you will be using WWS #1, the one MFW carries, then you might want to speed up the pace a bit for high school. It's for ages 5th and up. I wouldn't have a problem using it in high school if my student would benefit, but would probably move at a faster pace or possibly try to do it the summer before starting high school. The MFW website says a lesson takes 30-45 minutes, but that's for 7-8th graders (note that they do half the book at 2 lessons a week).

2. If your student will be doing all the AHL literature all year, you may want to use literature topics for some WWS assignments. High school students are entering a higher level of thinking (some call it the rhetoric stage), and they need to process what they read in some way. You could discuss literature at your parent meetings, or at the dinner table for that matter, but most students need to be pushed forward in this area, by learning to support their opinions with evidence etc.

3. Second semester, you will probably want to start the AHL supplement at the beginning, when the essay format is explained. Then, the essay is gradually introduced, first using free choice and gradually more pointed assignments. So, after the free-choice essay, they write something about Gilgamesh, Mythology, Iliad, & Odyssey. They aren't writing college papers, but they are beginning to evaluate literature, most importantly evaluating ancient Biblical writings alongside this other ancient writing.

When you are ready for the change at mid-year, you will have a better idea of whether your student will just do the first half of the supplement, with the easier, looser assignments, but base them on the literature he is currently reading (students will rarely remember enough about the literature read early in the school year to give good supporting evidence), or whether you can do the initial assignments and then jump to the middle of the supplement.

And don't worry, AHL only assigns about 5 essays over the year (plus a few other things like writing Psalms and a Proverbs project). With my son, it felt like an eternity to get him through those 5, but in reality it was a fairly gentle push. ;)

Julie

mom2h

Re: How interwoven is the AHL Supplement?

Unread post by mom2h » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:54 pm

Great information. I needed to know this, but I didn't know I needed to know! LOL!

-mom2h