Schedule - Outside activities, are they possible?

mom2boys

Schedule - Outside activities, are they possible?

Unread post by mom2boys » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:25 am

AHL and AWANA
ark2003 wrote:Hey mfw friends! A little advice from you HS veterans? I am planning to start AHL with my oldest daughter in january or febuary. We school year round, taking week or two week long breaks every four to six weeks. She is in journey (high school level awana) and is doing a lot of bible reading/study/memorization. My daughter spends about an hour each day on awana: memorizing scripture, reading bible, and reading/completing study guide. She isn't the most studious or motivated of students and i am concerned that awana and ahl bible may overwhelm her. Any of you have experience or advice for me? Is it reasonable to replace ahl bible with awana? I would be most pleased if she did both, but she is challenged now to complete her eighth grade studies (ecc, math, sci, grammar, writing, art, and awana). She doesn't always get it all done, but not because it is too much work. She has a tendency to be a bit of a procrastinator. Thanks!
We have not done both. For my son both would have been too much. He was in AHL last year and chose not to do the AWANA work. He read through the entire Old Testament with AHL. My fear was that Bible would become too academic and not life application. Just another long dreaded subject, you know what I mean? I know AWANA has many perks including scholarship money if completed through high school. For us, choosing one or the other was the best option. Both would have been way too much. So this year we again are going with the Bible in WHL. Oh and in our church the youth help the youngers as volunteers in AWANA, but are encouraged to continue with the program though they do not have a specific class - they just say the verses to a leader sometime during the night.

Just another perspective.
~Charlotte
loving my Hubby and 3 sons 16, 13, 7
Used MFW since 2004

ark2003

Re: AHL and AWANA

Unread post by ark2003 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:44 pm

Charlotte, i TOTALLY agree that i don't want bible study to become an academic chore. She loves awana and is motivated by the awards as well as the social and leadership opportunities it provides. So, we'll just dive in and if it is over her head, i will do as crystal suggested and get her an audio bible or maybe we'll read together at night as a family.

Thanks to you both. I truly value your insight and advice.
Amanda,
Wife to a good looking genius
Mom to five sweet girls 3/97, 4/04, 4/04, 9/08, 9/11
And one tough baby boy 7/13
Have done MFW K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG, AHL, WHL
Homeschooling since 2006

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:02 pm

ark2003 wrote: or maybe we'll read together at night as a family.
We do this, and are very blessed. I hope it works out for you.

I just wanted to add that even though Bible in any form is equally a blessing, the thing about doing the whole Old Testament in AHL is that it is the foundation of the apologetics that unfold. I wanted to prepare my child for one day in college (or in the workforce) when my child is confronted with things like "The Old Testament and Greek Mythology are the same thing," or "All religions are the same." A big goal of mine was to educate him until he was able to say, "No, I've read both, and really they're quite different. Let me tell you how..."

The books in AHL are read alongside one another so that your student will be able to compare for himself. There's value in that, I think.

Maybe it will work to do both if you don't do any other electives next year, and just focus on the 6 basic credits (AHL, science, math, foreign language). You could also be open to reducing the load in certain places if need be (the Iliad is somewhat optional, or I've heard of some folks who don't do some of the more in-depth studies such as Daniel).

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:29 am

My ds is in AHL and in Bible Bowl. Bible Bowl is like Awanas with competitions :-) . He travels once a month or so, sometimes out of the state. To be in the top tier and to stay competitive, you have to study ALOT. We have told our kids that school comes first and then Bible Bowl. For us, it is an extra curricular so my ds must manage his time appropriately. It has been a bit of a struggle this year for him but I am hoping that he will learn to manage his time wisely.

I am so happy with the Bible and History correlations in AHL that I would be very sad for my ds to have missed that. I think the Bible portion in AHL is vital to the program and we would have missed some of the best, deep conversations and discussions that we have ever had and we are only 7 weeks into the program.

Hopefully your dd will be able to manage both. It might be a struggle at first but I think it would be worth it.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

ark2003

Unread post by ark2003 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Thanks, dhudson, for your reply. Thru this thread, i think i found the answer i wanted! We are going to put bible in ahl first, and use awana as an elective.

Thanks again, everyone, for yor help. Mfw and this message board are such a blessing.
Amanda,
Wife to a good looking genius
Mom to five sweet girls 3/97, 4/04, 4/04, 9/08, 9/11
And one tough baby boy 7/13
Have done MFW K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG, AHL, WHL
Homeschooling since 2006

cbollin

WHL is this bit of tweaking doable?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:41 am

deltagal wrote:I've narrowed down my son's sophomore year to 3 possibilities. I think I like this possibility BEST, but I want to make sure I'm not setting him up for failure. His complaint with this year was that he felt overworked (we did not use MFW). Anyhow, those of you who've used this curriculum have a better feel for the ebb and flow than I. I would value your input.

Use WHL as spine for Sophomore year - no tweaking
Math - Jacob's geometry
Science, Language and elective - Latin 2, Biology, and Journalism through a tutorial that meets on Monday and Thursday. He would be gone those days from 8:30 to 3:30 -( 6:30 during football season.) He'll need to do the math and Bible first thing in the A.M. The challenge here is when he gets home he's rotten, exhausted and ready to chill. He does have a study hall at the tutorial and is able to at least get his Latin homework completed.

Also, in the past we've used Wednesday as a "family" day and have had GREAT FUN learning together - field trips, nature hikes, shakespeare readings, art projects, composer study, etc.. We're able to do all of this in the morning and have the afternoons free My children really want to continue this. I was thinking about his 5th day being Wednesday, so we could continue to do this and then he could do his lighter load of academics in the afternoon along with the parent/student meeting and the lighter load. Does this make sense?

This past year he took a literature class away from home, along with a Latin and Earth Science class. The work load for Latin and Earth Science was very reasonable, but not for Literature. It hijacked all his time he needed for other subject areas and as a result, he fell behind in everything in order to keep up with literature. We're not looking at a literature class for next year. One of the appeals of MFW - WHL is that the 3 courses he needs to do at home are what the curriculum provides. How much time would you say the Bible, History, Literature portion (the WHL piece takes a day)?
Florence,
am I reading this correctly? You'll looking to tweak WHL into a block schedule format along these lines?

Monday: math, and then spend 7 hours in co-op classes (including study hall)
Tuesday: WHL do 2 days worth in Bible, history, English. 1 day in math
Wednesday: conference day and free afternoons or homework make up.
Thursday: math, and then spend 7 hours in co-op classes (including study hall)
Friday: WHL, do 2 days worth in Bible, history, English 1 day in math

you want on co-op/tutorial days to also have him keep up on math and Bible.

is that basically the outline of what you are asking for feedback? I got exhausted just thinking about it. I'm feeling my age... I just found out my 19 y.o nephew has become a dad. so.. I'm feeling old. My husband's little brother is a grandfather. this is all wrong...... :)

anyway... just wanted to make sure I typed out the block schedule and that's what you're curious on ....

-crystal

cbollin

WHL is this bit of tweaking doable?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 am

deltagal wrote:Crystal,

For someone who says she is not thinking clearly, you've done a much better job than I at articulating what we want to pursue. So, yes, the block schedule as you have it. The only revision is he would do one day in Bible each day, along with the math. And only block the literature and history portion. Thanks!
The potential pitfalls I am seeing (based on if I were doing this with my family...)

getting math done on co-op days before going to co-op classes. That might be difficult. Math lessons might be 60-90 minutes a day to get it done. That's going to make even more "rotten" and exhausting. (I know what you mean... Their bodies are growing and they need more sleep and you think they are 2 years old again... wow.. my high schooler is up before noon. imagine that.... breakfast is on the table. she's motivated because she wants to go see that movie that opened this weekend. )

Getting Bible done might be easier on those co-op days. If the book Church History in Plain Language gets to be too much... on some weeks it will.... adjust as you go along.

the reality may be that he has some homework on the weekends in some subjects.

During weeks 3-10 in WHL, there is a research project and writing with it. That will require some library time on those WHL block days, or weekend.

Given those weeks tend to be in the fall, and you have football season... would it be a good idea to start his WHL studies earlier than the rest of the school year academics and get a jump on it?

I know that my oldest works informally in a block schedule style on many weeks. She gets obsessive and doesn't want to set down something. Then that means other things didn't get done. So we smash some stuff together. But, the difference with us is that she only has one day a week with an outside sport. no homework of note.

not sure I have any other insights to share right now.

-crystal

deltagal

Re: WHL is this bit of tweaking doable?

Unread post by deltagal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:08 am

Crystal,

Your thoughts are very helpful! I think you are right about the math. Come to think of it that was our issue this year. And he's behind. What to do?

He really would like to not be at the tutorial all day, but it requires a trip in for me and the 2 courses he's interested in taking primarily - Latin and Biology are at 9 and 1 respectively, so it puts him there all day with a study hall, lunch and elective. I've not been able to figure out another way to do that piece....
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:38 am

deltagal wrote:For someone who says she is not thinking clearly, you've done a much better job than I at articulating what we want to pursue. So, yes, the block schedule as you have it. The only revision is he would do one day in Bible each day, along with the math. And only block the literature and history portion. Thanks!
The potential pitfalls I am seeing (based on if I were doing this with my family...)

getting math done on co-op days before going to co-op classes. That might be difficult. Math lessons might be 60-90 minutes a day to get it done. That's going to make even more "rotten" and exhausting. (I know what you mean... Their bodies are growing and they need more sleep and you think they are 2 years old again... wow.. my high schooler is up before noon. imagine that.... breakfast is on the table. she's motivated because she wants to go see that movie that opened this weekend. )

Getting Bible done might be easier on those co-op days. If the book Church History in Plain Language gets to be too much... on some weeks it will.... adjust as you go along.

the reality may be that he has some homework on the weekends in some subjects.

During weeks 3-10 in WHL, there is a research project and writing with it. That will require some library time on those WHL block days, or weekend. Given those weeks tend to be in the fall, and you have football season... would it be a good idea to start his WHL studies earlier than the rest of the school year academics and get a jump on it?

I know that my oldest works informally in a block schedule style on many weeks. She gets obsessive and doesn't want to set down something. Then that means other things didn't get done. So we smash some stuff together. But, the difference with us is that she only has one day a week with an outside sport. no homework of note.
deltagal wrote:Your thoughts are very helpful! I think you are right about the math. Come to think of it that was our issue this year. And he's behind. What to do?

He really would like to not be at the tutorial all day, but it requires a trip in for me and the 2 courses he's interested in taking primarily - Latin and Biology are at 9 and 1 respectively, so it puts him there all day with a study hall, lunch and elective. I've not been able to figure out another way to do that piece....
so he wants Latin. he wants biology (and that makes sense... who doesn't like a lab partner to look at microscope with stuff or dissections and let them do it... giggle). so journalism isn't needed - he's not saying "but I want to go into journalism in college ,and I should take this)

let's brainstorm through that roadblock..... if he just did Latin... and came home...(or even if you carpooled for part of the trip)

Why couldn't you do Biology at home? Apologia Biology is very doable at home. Might mean getting microscope and slides (cost now, but you have plenty of children who will use them. check homescience tools for those kits) Might mean 4 dissections at home or virtually...from here
http://appliejuice.wordpress.com/apologia-biology/

or
http://martysahm.blogspot.com/p/apologia-biology.html

or if you're needing to do "ap" level... check here for combining both Apologia books.. (we did not do this by the way!)
http://www.diveintomath.com/biology-10th-grade/

but that would free up his time for Wednesday, for football. For still seeing his friends 2 days a week at Latin, which he wants to do. I think it's a life lesson in time management for them. setting priorities. making tough decisions to do a lot of good stuff.

and as much as it is painful to type... Math catch it up in summer school.

The other way around is do Latin at home (I dont' have recommendations for that) and do Biology at group. But, I just don't have experience in that.

But I'd drop one of the classes at the co-op/tutorial in favor of big picture of it all.
-crystal
deltagal wrote:Good thoughts Crystal. And it's painful to read, as well - "math catch up in summer school."

We'll keep playing with this.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:16 am

I'm agreeing that if the journalism is not really something he's interested in, then you need that time. So that would leave 7 hours at co-op, with probably 5 of them study hall. Could he use that time productively?

Julie

deltagal

Unread post by deltagal » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:41 pm

Julie in MN wrote: Could he use that time productively?
I think he's only good for about 2 hours of productive study hall time, but he could probably get all his tutorial work done on-site in that time. And then he could do 1 hour for lunch. He's VERY social. This would leave him with the work he needs to do at home being - Bible, History, Literature and Geometry.

Keep all these thoughts coming. They are very helpful.

Postby deltagal » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:45 am
Well, we've made some decisions this week. And we're definitely doing the biology at home. The Latin 2 piece I'm still sorting through support materials to see if I think we can sustain it well on our own at home. My son thinks we can. In the event, however, we still went to the tutorial for Latin we're down to only having to give 2 hours away from home for academics 2 days a week (1 hour in class, 1 hour driving both ways, which includes arriving early and stopping for a milkshake on the way home: )
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

LSH in MS

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:01 am

I agree with doing the Biology at home.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:02 am

deltagal wrote:My son thinks we can.
Glad to hear he's on board, too.

And yes, boys do well with a little milkshake, don't they :)

mandolin

Unread post by mandolin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Teenage boys especially!!! We have two! :)
widow, remarried now 5 years to wonderful hubby
Loving MFW!
ECC with DSons 11 and 13, MFW 1st with DS, 8
homeschooling for 13 years

Julie in MN

high schoolers

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 pm

sandi wrote:Quick question. For those of you using the high school . I have two in high school now. Having a hard time trying to fit everything in. How do u do it all and fit your students interests in. I talking about things like dual enrollment at community college, extra science, or their interests for the future. Do you continue to do all the program or leave some of it out?
Hi Sandi,
I can't say I've been completely successful, but I think all homeschooled high schoolers are challenged by this. My son added in book club, math team, college classes, lots of gym time, and more, including just family stuff. Here are my random, usually rambling thoughts:

1. Subbing things out. I usually did this with book club, because my son is just not a reader and would never willingly read more books. However, he was far more enthused by the boys' discussions than mom's discussions LOL, so I subbed books here and there.

2. I did not schedule any electives outside of foreign language and Bible. I used his natural interests to create electives, at times, such as phy ed credits related to his time spent at the gym and other sports activities. Once foreign language was completed I allowed room for electives but allowed him to steer those. I love MFW's selection of electives, but my son wanted to take Psychology at the college and he wanted to invest extensive time in learning engine repair, so those are his electives, and not health and such. If he goes to a college that absolutely insists on fine arts or health, he'll have to fit those in to his college schedule.

3. I sometimes reworked a MFW assignment to fit with his bents. For instance, we did the extensive research report in WHL on careers. My son I may have mentioned doesn't like to read LOL, so he did interviews with a dozen or more folks who work in the medical field, and wrote about that. He likes talking with people and wanted to know about careers, so the writing was slipped in there by me. Of course, when I sub out something like reading, I had to make sure he was still building those reading muscles in other areas (he did plenty of reading in his college courses), but I didn't make him build them in *every* area.

4. Doing classes like math and science were easy enough to do at the college and not affect his core classes at home. I also added a Skype tutor for his French during the last months of his foreign language credits, while he still continued to work on his Rosetta.

5. US2 (12th grade) is fairly easy to do alongside college or other outside interests, because it really has a feel of "letting go" and letting the student take on things for himself, especially in the English and Bible credits (less so the history/econ credit).

Hoping you eventually get lots of answers from busy parents of high schoolers.
Julie

sandi

Re: high schoolers

Unread post by sandi » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Thank you Julie. I was hoping you would respond:)
His Child,
Sandi