WHL - Prep, General descriptions

Julie in MN

WHL - Prep, General descriptions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:31 pm

Ordered my WHL, chemistry, and physical science plans!!
ilovemy4kids wrote:Okay, we won't finish our AHL till August, but I ordered our WHL now, while I have the money to do it. If I had waited, we wouldn't have been able to do it. So, do I pour over the books when they arrive and get all excited, OR do we put the box aside and wait till right before the new school year? What would you do? ??

Just for fun! Not really asking a question but more a curiosity, because I'm so excited!
Sandra
What I do is "absorb" the manual. I think it's an osmosis thing. I need to just sit with it for a few months, going thru it until I really know the flow. I might pencil in things I want to bring to our "weekly meeting" or videos for lunch time etc. Then during the year, I don't need to do all that much -- except according to my dh when I need to have something to fret over :~
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Teresa in TX

Re: Ordered my WHL, chemistry, and physical science plans!!

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:39 pm

If I could rewind AND had the ability to have WHL in my hands for a while before we used it, here are the things I would do:

1.) Read and pray through the Church History book and make discussion notes for yourself on things that strike you, things God impresses upon you. 50% of the stuff in there (probably more) I didn't know, so it has been quite educational for me as well. If I could make notes like that, in the notes, I'd make a reference to when my dc was going to be reading that section, what week, etc. I really think that we could have had much better discussions had I read the book beforehand myself!! Since I didn't, I feel I'm always behind, only occasionally getting to read the section she's on before her. Great book!!!

2.) I would pick the books from the literature portion and read those ahead, making notes for myself as well. Honestly, if I didn't have so many children to keep up with, I'd go ahead and read through each of the books, take notes, even do the work that my child was going to do with those books, like the character analysis on Pride & Prejudice, the plot summary on Cry the Beloved Country, etc. I would also go ahead and read the section of history that has to do with the time period of those books. I'm reading Cry, the Beloved Country with dd right now and went ahead and read about Apartheid in the Notgrass book. It has made discussion time more fruitful. I'm really looking forward to Animal Farm...as weird as it is, that book and the history it pertains to is just so intriguing to me!!! Scarey, but intriguing!!!

3.) Do some of the same above with the British Literature book. I found it helpful when I had already worked through the poetry, stories, questions, etc., before her. More was understood, more retained.

4.) Go through and look at the questions before each section in Notgrass, the ideas they have for writing prompts. Use those instead for opportunities for discussion. It sometimes makes it easier for me to know what to talk to dd about when I have looked at those. Also, this is just in general, but for AHL and WHL, the Bible Study questions at the end of each daily section make good discussion points as well. We get more out of discussing those questions than if she were to write them down. I discovered that recently and have found it enables me to talk with her more. I'm also amazed at the things God lays in our laps that have to do with those questions. When I pray through it, then discuss it with her, He sets up situations for us to drive the points home. So cool!!!
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

ilovemy4kids

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:21 pm

Julie,
I love the idea of just absorbing the manual. That makes sense.... with AHL, I have just kind of looked at it every couple of weeks, but had I read through it, so to speak, there are a lot of ideas I have had that I could have planned for better!

Teresa,
Wow! What great ideas..... Now I'm really drooling for my box to get here.... but.... tomorrow after church I am going to implement some of these ideas right now into the AHL we are currently using! thanks so much.
Sandra

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 pm

ilovemy4kids wrote: I am going to implement some of these ideas right now into the AHL we are currently using! thanks so much.
I walked away and kind of regretted my post. I wanted to tell you that those are things that *I* would like to have done, in retrospect. They are suggestions for someone who was going to have the curriculum in their hands for a few months and wanted to delve in and spend some time with it. I in no way think those things MUST be done. The way things are laid out by mfw are great!! I just have enjoyed learning with dd so much...I'd almost like to go back and do each high school level myself.

On the church history book, though, I really do recommend what I said...that book is so meaty and is just full of potential discussions!!!

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 am

Wow! We are only in CTG but you guys are making me look forward to high school, exciting stuff! I obviously have no insight to what to do with WHL but when I get my new curriculum at CHAP in May, I always take a week or two to look through it, make some notes and then I put it away again until later in the summer. I could never just put it away without looking through it for awhile, I'm too exciting to see what's next;)
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

4Truth wrote: My box came today!!! :-)

Teresa, my dd is very verbal, too, and I wish I'd done more of what you described during AHL. What little we did together, she *really* enjoyed. I think she gets bored and lonesome when working alone... not in everything, as she does like working without interruption on certain subjects. But history being her favorite subject, she just gets a lot more out of that, Bible, and literature discussion when it's interactive.
I wish I had done that more with AHL as well. It really took me quite a while to figure out how to handle the weekly discussions. I feel I'm just now getting a handle on what to discuss, when to discuss it, what to expect from the discussions. That was a big learning curve for me somehow. I hate that she'll be my guinnea pig, but at least I'll learn through her and feel more equipped with my others as they come up to high school.

It was seriously within the past 8 weeks or so that I started recognizing some of the writing ideas in Notgrass as potential discussion starters. It was like a lightbulb moment for me. ;) I really am thrilled with the way the 2 years of high school so far have matured her and given her such a great ability to organize and manage her time and her life. Unless I'm missing something, I think she'll be able to handle college when it comes because she'll have had a few years of experience with being responsible for her schedule and learning how to fit things in. So cool how it all works!!! She doesn't embrace it all...some of it she doesn't even really like (timeline figures and a few of the things from lit), but she does the work and tries to do a good job and knows that life isn't all about doing the stuff we love.

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:14 pm

Teresa in TX wrote:I hate that she'll be my guinnea pig, but at least I'll learn through her and feel more equipped with my others as they come up to high school.
Oh, I hear ya. It really makes me wish we had more children so that I can do a better job with more than just two of them! 8[] Isn't it funny how our firstborn entering high school is as much about US finding our way as it them...
It was seriously within the past 8 weeks or so that I started recognizing some of the writing ideas in Notgrass as potential discussion starters. It was like a lightbulb moment for me. ;)
Well, I'm so glad that you posted your "what I'd do over again" thoughts, because that helps those of us who are coming up behind you. :)
I really am thrilled with the way the 2 years of high school so far have matured her and given her such a great ability to organize and manage her time and her life. Unless I'm missing something, I think she'll be able to handle college when it comes because she'll have had a few years of experience with being responsible for her schedule and learning how to fit things in. So cool how it all works!!! She doesn't embrace it all...some of it she doesn't even really like (timeline figures and a few of the things from lit), but she does the work and tries to do a good job and knows that life isn't all about doing the stuff we love.
Ditto every word! With just one year of high school behind us so far, anyway. MFW high school is college-prep in so many ways other than just the level of reading material! I don't even know yet if my dd will go to college... right now she's saying no, but she may change her mind and go sometime in the future. Either way, she'll be prepared not just for college, but for the real world. Pacing herself not only in "schoolwork", but in the rest of life and learning how to get it all done, prioritizing her choices for how she spends her time, realizing that if she doesn't pace herself she's going to run into problems..... it all counts! Not to mention the building of her biblical worldview and how she thinks about things, watching her formulate her opinions and answers to the big issues in life.... I'm very thankful for the amount of prayer, study, and writing time that Marie has put into this curriculum! And there's no better time for it in our world, either. "For such a time as this." :)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

high school-World History -supplies

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:59 pm

pjssully wrote:I just purchased World History so i won't have my guide for awhile. My office supply store is having a sale this weekend and i am hoping to get all my school supplies. Could someone give me a list of what i will need for the World History course? Thanks so much!
pam
crayons- for marking/highlighting verses in the Bible. (my dd is preferring to use colored pencils that she already uses for that purpose. but hey, 25 cent for a new box was fun for other kids)

3 ring notebook, lined and unlined paper (standard normal stuff like that and pencils, pens, etc. )
dictionary
thesaurus

a note is there for the timeline figures: they recommend either glue stick, or to get Avery full sheet labels for copiers. basically those are full page white stickers with adhesive on a side. then you photocopy figures on that, and easier to deal with timeline book. But glue stick works.

So, for the things that are sale these weeks, get standard stuff that you always get for back to school.

oh... and depending on some sale items.. .some places are having sales on graphing calculators. Not needed in WHL, but some people like them for algebra, and other math. thought i'd toss that in there. still trying to decide if my oldest is getting one. ;)

Julie in MN

Re: high school-World History -supplies

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:37 pm

I think Crystal covered everything that comes to mind, although I should look thru it again later (for my own benefit!). I can make it all more complicated for ya, tho...

- decide how you're going to do the timeline figures, and whether you want the sticky paper (which we get with all kinds of teacher discounts at Office Max) or cardstock & glue (we would choose rubber cement, I've heard of others who use sticky dots, etc)
- decide how you're going to mark Bible verses, with crayons or I like "Bible highlighters" that don't soak thru
- decide on paper format for all your classes, such as 3-ring binders vs. spiral notebooks (I usually try something new every year or two, whether a clipboard with box, a flexible binder with storage sections, etc.)
- decide on math calculator, geometry tools, graph paper, or whatever
- make sure you have a working Rosetta Stone headphone or microphone, if you're using Rosetta
- decide on what you need for a science lab notebook (I was thinking of trying one of those sewn composition notebooks this year, but then got stuck between wide line, narrow line, or graph paper -- oh those important $1 decisions !! )
- decide on pencil & pen needs (always trying to get something nice for my pencil-hating ds, sigh), & either replacement lead or pencil sharpener, maybe red pens for mom :)
- I love, love, love sticky tabs, and have gotten my ds addicted as well (book markers, arrows for the grid, sticky squares for notes, write-on tabs for the yearly notebook sections... must.stay.home.from.office.store :~ )
- make sure you have those dictionary/thesaurus references Crystal mentioned, as well as the Bible version/format you want to use

Julie the crazy office store stalker

pjssully

Unread post by pjssully » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:49 pm

thanks for your replies--julie you made me chuckle!!!
pam

Smoakhouse

Unread post by Smoakhouse » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:10 pm

Julie you are a woman after my own heart, I LOVE office supply stores too. Especially this time of year when so many things are on sale.

I wanted to note, if you are looking to get a calculator, make sure you get one that can be used on the ACT/SAT test. These things are like mini computers and you don't want to have to learn how to run more than one. My girls chose the TI-83.

For the science journal - we got a spiral sketch book at Miller paper at our home school fair. We found them to be perfect, the pages fold over without falling out, like normal sketch pads. I think they also have 1/2 & 1/2 paper with blank tops and lined bottoms, which my be good too.
http://www.millerpadsandpaper.com/ (not at the office supply store, but another of my favorite places! :-) )

As for the Dictionary/Thesauruses, my girls just use the one on the computer. Save a few bucks to spend on post it notes. ;)

HTH,
Cheri in TN
Mom to girls 23 & 20 and boy 10
Homeschooling for 18 years and counting!!
MFW ECC (2016-17)
MFW Adventures (2013-14)
MFW 1st (2012-13)
MFW K (2011-12)
MFW Health (fall 2011)
Pinterest http://www.pinterest.com/cdsmoak

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:39 pm

act and calculators
http://www.actstudent.org/faq/answers/calculator.html

and TI (texas instruments) has various charts about which ones are permitted

I think this will work...
http://education.ti.com/educationportal ... ision.html

been looking at the ti84 series myself..... more memory than 83. LOL LOL but, I keep thinking, does she really need a graphing calculator?

cbollin

MFW highschool WHL

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:50 pm

mommasue wrote:Hi! Last year when I reasearching AHL for my daughter, this board was so helpful, but now that I am looking for info for year two, WHL, I cant find any helpful hints! What can we expect? what are some suggestions? ie: bible on ipod has saved us! and i am sure to do the meetings every week etc.... Where are all those wonderful tips and suggestions? please help!

also, a little worries about next year, i will have a 4th & 7th grader in ECC ( our second time around), a 9th grader in AHL and a 10th grader in WHL, apologia physical science, apologia chemistry etc etc...... it will be ok right? lol.....
we have done every year from pre school and up....

Sue
Massachusetts
Hi Sue,
Most of the same kinds of tips from AHL apply to WHL. All of the timeline copying onto sticky paper, or use glue stick. Audio books are good.
WHL feels a lot like AHL.

Chemistry – I bought lab supply kit from Home Science Tools. Been good.

Are you looking for anything on grading writing? Or anything?

yeah, sure, it'll all be fine... yeah.. sure.......

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: MFW highschool WHL

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:54 pm

Hi Sue,
We're in the middle of WHL. I know that feeling of wanting to know :) But what should we chat about?!

WHL has been going very smoothly at our house. I think 9th grade is a transition year and transitions are always tough in some ways. There was the transition of a younger teen becoming an older teen. There was the transition of being accountable for a body of school work for credit. But you know all that, you're there. Just know that 10th grade has been much smoother at our house than 9th, much less of a transition ;)

English in WHL has a whole different flavor than AHL's English -- which is the usual MFW way, I think, each year is unique. The first assignment is reading Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, using a side-by-side version with the original English and the modern English, and you begin Writer's Inc with writing a play. Then you jump right into a lengthy research paper, something like 8-10 weeks, also following the Writers Inc instructions closely. I know there's been a recent thread on essay topics. Occasionally you stop to read something inspirational like More Than A Carpenter, or something historic like Beowulf. And now we're working on the British Lit book, which gives good summaries and explanations, and then has significant excerpts of works like one of the King Arthur books, with side-by-side modern English, plus things like poetry (including Shakespeare sonnets).

Bible of course is the New Testament. The Bible readings are shorter, and there is a longer book that covers church history. I'm reading that book to my son (similar to the way I read The Answers Book last year). For me, it's one of the best things this year, in that I can really teach my son about why Christianity looks like it does today. There's also a "heroes" type book (like Trial and Triumph) that covers most of the key figures in the church history book with 2-page summaries.

In history, Notgrass steps up the pace and adds in the chapter tests. You finish the Usborne book and move to a DK book, with similar overviews of the history you are reading, richly illustrated. The timeline is similar, more full. The mapping steps up to an extra 1/4 credit, but seems easier for my son this year, maybe because of his prep last year.

The flow of history is mixed with the other subjects. So the English assignment of Julius Caesar is a part of understanding Roman history. The church history book covers the middle ages quite a bit (500-1500), since the church was an integral part of society and government at that time in history. And of course the church history goes on to cover the Reformation side of the next period of history. We're not quite to the middle of our year (1st semester ends at the end of the month) and we're in the Renaissance/Reformation.

As for extra helps, we continue to use the same Bible on CD that we used last year, the version recommended in AHL. My son also likes anything by Uncle Rick, so he recently enjoyed listening to James and 1 Peter read by Uncle Rick. He listened to Beowulf on audio, which is by the same translator as the MFW book. The audio is slightly abridged, but it's one of those abridgements where small sections are left out but the rest of the words remain the same. My son hasn't needed or asked for any other audios yet, as far as I recall (and he's not a reader). But we do read the church history aloud, as I mentioned -- long chapters there, and lots to discuss.

There are a few threads saved in the high school archive, too.

Always willing to chat,
Julie

mommasue

Unread post by mommasue » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Thank you for the replies, I guess I am just all over the place because it was quite an adjustment to have my dyslexic etc dd tackle AHL & apologia biology in one year while interning as an interpreter at a local history museum. There were many tears at the beginning of the year, with me just basically saying you can do it, try your best...

And you know what, she has blown us away. I can not believe how well she has done, I wish I could tell myself 10 years ago while i was getting devastating news at an iep meeting, that everything would be ok. (sigh...)

anyhow! Now my 14 year old, who is a cancer survivor ( bilateral stage III wilms tumor), with chemo brain, health stuff etc, struggles with everything, but is determined and goes faster than she should, wakes up early, finishes math before i get up (gets them all wrong mind you) does all her chores in the speed of light etc... now will be doing AHL, sigh! with 2 - 3 med appt per week, I guess I dont know how i will be a cheerleader to both dd's and do ANOTHER mfw ECC for the 7th grader and 4th grader... oye veh!!

I need all the tips / help I can get to set these girls up for success so I dont loose my mind. my husband graduates from seminary in may, so perhaps we will be moving next year too... thats the plan anyhow, wherever God plants us.
So.... the planner that I am, I am focusing on what i can control - or what i think i can control lol, next year!!! hahaha CAN I really DO 2 HSchoolers and two in ECC? has this been done before? lol...

Love, Sue :~
Sue
married to John for 17 years <3
Halie, AHL, Jewelia 8th,Mason 6th & Mazilyn 3rd - 1850MOD
we have used every year through AHL, love it!

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow, you really have your hands full. You know, I have a friend who really hardly did ANY science with her oldest (due to mom's being quite disabled), and yet that dd went on to community college and got all A's in her science classes as part of her nursing prep. She has since become a mother of many so I can't tell the end of that college story, but she did fine in the courses she took. I credit it to her knowing how to work hard, whatever she was doing. So if some of your kids don't get every bit of learning in there, it can still work out. Kids don't remember everything they learn anyways. It's mostly a matter of "teaching them to learn," or as MFW says, "learning to love to read" in the middle years, in order to learn by reading when they are older.

As for your struggling high schooler, I'd take some time to think through priorities for her and when you get discouraged, just make sure she's getting to those priorities. I might also try to do at least one thing with her, or with the family. Kids sometimes need to see you model "how to learn" or "how to think through things" as they hit harder material, or how to slow down in your dd's case. I know we like to do Bible as a family in high school. But when our family situation got out of hand, we narrowed it down to priority areas (e.g. we did the OT history together, and ds did the prophets on his own). I've also chosen one book each year of MFW high school to read to my son (last year it was the New Answers book, and this year it's the Church History book), and I've "taught" that book, both through reading and through things I add (conversation, a video, etc.). That can be a way to allow for a learner to some extent, but not to hold their hand through everything.

Best wishes as you jump in and dog paddle ;)
Julie

DS4home

WHL Question

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:24 pm

leeandrea wrote:Could someone please tell me what is the first unit/lesson used from the Notgrass text for WHL. My dd is currently using Notgrass on its own (not part of MFW), and I want to know when to have her stop for the year so that she can can pick it back up for WHL after the summer.

Thanks.
Lee
The first Notgrass lesson in WHL is lesson #46 Unit 10.
Dawn
leeandrea wrote:All set now, thanks.
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

DS4home

Gearing up for WHL...Advice appreciated

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:46 am

Amy C. wrote:Some of you (Julie and Dawn) may remember my post from not long ago about my ds being behind in AHL. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 311#p99311
Well, he finished! Yay!!! I wished there was a happy dance smiley!

Now that we are gearing up to start WHL, I am wondering what I need to know upfront. Are there any suggestions on what we can do to stay on track? What might could be tweaked or changed if need be to not get behind? For example, in AHL, it was recommended to skip the Iliad and just read the Odyssey, if you chose to. I didn't read that until we had already read the Iliad and was almost finished with the Odyssey. Just wondering if there is any been-there-done-that advice on anything I need to know upfront. I don't plan to go into it cutting and changing. I want him to do the program. However, if need be, I would like options if we hit a snag or two. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

TIA!
Amy
P.S. I do plan to utilize some audios. I have him signed up for an online chemistry class.
Hi Amy,
:-) big smile for finishing AHL!! It feels so good to have met the challenge and now have that accomplishment on your records!

I found that WHL seemed to go quite a bit smoother. Another year older, another year wiser, right? I didn't have to tweak as much, just a little.

I got my manual out to refresh my memory...OK, in week 3 they begin their Research Paper. Not a fun time with my ds. He really needed some hand holding and encouragement through this process. The final paper is due in week 10. I was pulling my hair out trying to get a decent paper out of him. I'm sure it goes much better with others! :~ In week 5 they begin reading from Church History in Plain Language, along with their other Bible reading. This book is used throughout the rest of the year. It was a bit dryer of a read and I found it helped to spread it out a bit when I could. So in week 5 as an example, I penciled in page numbers 3-5 on Tue, 6-8 on Wed, and 9-12 on Thur. I did this all year for him, splitting a chapter up over two or more days when possible.

Again, I see on Week 12 my pencil notes about The Canterbury Tales. Thursday was a long reading selection, so I split it in half, finishing the reading on Friday. I looked for a lot of that kind of thing, a day with many pages of reading that could be finished in the next day if the next day wasn't already full with more reading assignments. The book Practicing His Presence is read in 4 days. I had him begin the book on the Friday before and finished it the following Friday, giving him 6 days to read it. Pilgrim's Progress is read M-Th for two weeks. I shifted the pages per day and included Fridays for reading time, so he had 10 full days to read the book. Pilgrim's Progress is a good book to maybe read during Christmas break instead of when scheduled, if that is of interest to you.

Second semester felt a bit heavy on the literature. From week 19 - 36 they will read 8 books. I did have to resort to a movie version for one book and eliminated one of them. The schedule felt more doable then. ;)

I hope some of these notes helped you map out the year. For the most part it went well. My students enjoyed working through Experiencing God for Bible in 2nd semester. History went smoothly, as they were already familiar with the layout of the material. It was a good year and they were able to keep up the pace a little easier.

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Amy C.

Re: Gearing up for WHL...Advice appreciated

Unread post by Amy C. » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Thank you SO much, Dawn !! That is the kind of advice I am looking for.

He has already looked at the cover of Pride and Prejudice and said, "That's a love story", after rolling his eyes. Sigh...

But we did get a Kindle download with synced audio for Silas Marner for a great price! :) I tried to get him to get one for Pride and Prejudice, but he just said, "Naw, that's ok." (I may have to just go ahead and get it.) I hope he will be pleasantly surprised with it after he starts reading it, though.
DS4home wrote:I found that WHL seemed to go quite a bit smoother.
I am so hoping we find this to be so at our house. I hope that now we know what to expect and know his weaknesses and strengths that we can adjust accordingly.

Thank you so much!
Amy C.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:42 pm

Woohoo, I'm dancing with you gals!

I agree with Dawn that the big research paper looming ahead is probably the most important thing to be aware of. You might start talking about topics with him now, or at least thinking them over yourself. I ended up combining my desire to explore careers with the research paper, and my son did a lot of interviews (in person and via email), and he was able to learn about potential career paths while he wrote. In writing, it really is a time to pull up the bootstraps and write in an organized fashion over many pages, and to start bringing in outside sources and documenting them clearly. Those were such important skills when he took college courses over the following 2 years.

Getting used to the history quizzes was a process for my son. After asking for help from other WHL families, I started really going over his answers to the week's questions and noting what he needed to correct, then having him fix those before the quiz, and that helped immensely. I know others have started with open book quizzes, because it's hard to get used to understanding what the author is looking for. I'd maybe anticipate helping your student through this learning curve?

I don't recall any optional assignments like there were in AHL (with the optional extra reading, as well as the Iliad), but I did some adjustments here, as Dawn mentioned. My son was in a boys' book club, so that meant I skipped a couple of WHL books, but I also made it more "boy friendly" with a couple of videos (I'd have to look back, but there are excellent video versions of Pride & Prejudice and Hiding Place). Not that reading literature with characters in both genders is not admirable; I just choose my battles with my non-reader son. Our local public school reads approximately two pieces of literature per year in the regular English classes, and my son read far more than that LOL. He loves Pilgrim's Progress, by the way.

Some audios won't be available in the correct versions (e.g. MFW uses a slightly condensed version of Dickens). We did find the audio of Beowulf helpful and I highly recommend Cry, The Beloved in audio narrated by Maggie Soboil, if you can possibly locate it. And we were in the habit of listening to the Bible on audio as a family. I thought I heard that Church History was coming out with an audio? [Also note: this has become an optional book.]

Oh, and I think it's helpful to remind yourself that the mapwork in AHL equals an "extra" 0.25 credit -- I felt it was quite valuable, but you might take it into consideration when planning other elective credits.

HTH,
Julie

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:53 am

Thank you, Julie! It is always nice to read your seasoned advice, and I greatly appreciate it! I have copied/pasted your (and Dawn's) suggestions/advice. I hope to begin next week. I felt like I needed to give us all a week off before starting back up. That is a little late in the school year for us, and I hope it doesn't put us too far behind overall, but we needed a little break before plunging in! :)

Thanks, again!
Amy C.

TriciaMR

MFW WH (10th)

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:43 pm

annaz wrote:
Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:19 am
I'm curious on how this program is going those using it this year.
How do you like it? Favorites? Time it takes, how the writing is going, pros, cons, everything really.
It's going pretty well. More writing assignments. History and Bible are fine. There are times when she has to catch up on the weekend with [optional] Church History in Plain Language.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog