Placement - Starting MFW mid-year

Bret Welshymer

Placement - Starting MFW mid-year

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:08 am

New To MFW & Have A Question About Highschool AH
mama3ggb wrote:My family is new to MFW. Until now we have used mostly Alpha Omega & ABeka curriculum with a mix of other resources thrown in. My dd saw MFW's Ancient History curriculum at a homeschool expo and really got excited about it. I have been afraid to leave the cover of 'accreditation", so we started this year (9th grade) with Abeka Academy and have been miserable ever since. God kept gently guiding my heart back to MFW's website. After much prayer and a couple of panic attacks, I withdrew dd from the academy. We ordered, and have received, the AH material. It is beautiful and engaging.

We are starting mid-year with MFW AH. DD has completed 1/2 of her year with Abeka already. Subjects included: Alg.1, Physical Science, Bible, Health, PE, English Lit & comp, Geography and an added 10th grade World History course. The Science and Math are working well for her so she will stick with them. Everything else will be replaced with MFW. Abeka is very fast paced with a ton of mindless memorization. DD and I are already burnt out at the mid-year point. I pray the move to MFW will renew her curiosity and give me courage to homeschool highschool.

So...these are my questions...

1) If we are not able to complete AH for 9th grade, will she have trouble moving into MFW world history next year?

2) If we don't have time to cover it completely, is there a best place to start? (ex) first half, second half, or particular weeks that would be more important to cover than others.

God bless you if you stuck with me through all this rambling. Any insight will be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance

Letha
Letha,

Welcome to My Father's World. Two of my children have used our high school program. We have been very pleased with what they have learned both academically and spiritually. My son is now a junior studying metallurgical engineering. My daughter is a senior in high school and dual enrolled as a pre-nursing student at a local community college.

I would encourage you to start at the beginning to get the benefits of learning how to write a strong 5-paragraph argumentative essay. This essay is written five different times during the year. If you do not complete the program by starting at the beginning you can see your daughter's progress on the essays she does write.

Each year of the high school program builds upon itself, so we encourage you to finish AHL if possible. The Bible and composition in Year 1, Ancient History and Literature, are a foundation for the Bible and composition in Year 2, World History and Literature.

One option is continue with AHL through the summer. Your daughter will be done with math and science so the work in summer may not feel like too much. Fridays are lighter days in AHL. Your daughter may want to complete Fridays and Mondays on the same day, therefore getting a day ahead each week.

If you would like to talk about other options, please call me at our office (573-426-4600).

cbollin

Re: New To MFW & Have A Question About Highschool AH

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:13 am

Not much to be able to say that Bret didn't cover...

Just wanted to say Welcome to the Board!
My oldest has done the AHL program and is currently in WHL.
I'd also encourage you to start at the beginning. The first weeks might go faster with her since she's already in the swing of school for the year. maybe?

You might find that your daughter can skip reading the Iliad in AHL - there is an option in the lesson plans for skipping it. That might help with some weeks to "get more done" toward completion.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: New To MFW & Have A Question About Highschool AH

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:29 am

Since I have a child who would not respond well to doing 1.5 years of school in 1 year, I might consider using AHL for 2nd semester 9th and 1st semester 10th? Eventually by 12th grade, you might need to double up and do economics at the same time as the second half of American history, but I think a lot of folks have done that when they came into MFW in 10th grade or later.

I also agree it would probably work to shrink AHL a bit by just skipping things as you see something your dd has already done or for whatever reason you decide you can skim or bypass. The Iliad may well be one of those things since it is somewhat optional in the manual already. I've heard of folks skipping one thing or another along the way, too. Or folks have done little things like combined two essays, skipped one unit in Notgrass, etc.

Most of all, I would be happy if your child has the continuity of studying the whole Old Testament from the beginning, and comparing it to other world literature, as well as science, history, archaeology, etc. What a wonderful preparation for all future understanding of history -- and for facing any conversations in college!

Welcome to MFW,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Move him into World History, now?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:36 am

deltagal wrote:Our plan all along was to do MFW for high school. But last year, when we were ready to begin my ds had no desire to do Ancient History again. Somehow, in my planning I had missed how critical that was and .... And when I posted that question it seemed that was very much encouraged as the route to go, so we went another route. And yet, we are still interested in MFW for high school. My 15 yo ds has a solid foundation in writing essays and research papers. He also has a solid background in Ancient history .

He is currently working on Medieval/Renaissance History and literature. I could incorporate some pieces from MFW at this point, if they are critical to transitioning to MFW - particularly in the area of Bible. I could conceivably move him into World History, now. He is about half way through the history as it is on the syllabus.

He is eager to begin work on American History. Would it at all be possible to do MFW's first year of American History as a Sophomore? As I read the archives, I'm unclear. Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
I like your idea of just moving on to world history, either now or next year. Your son sounds unusually well prepared for WHL academics, but two last things come to mind -- his Biblical foundation (the beginning of all history in the fall, how the Bible holds up next to other ancient texts, etc) and his spiritual maturity. On another board this morning, there was a mom who posted about reading one of the high school books aloud as a family, and the younger one (younger than the MFW-recommended age for the book) was getting nothing out of it, while the olders and parents were having rich discussions.

If you do WHL, I don't think it would be too hard to skip over a few topics he doesn't need. And WHL goes all the way up to modern times, so I think there would be some important background he will enjoy knowing when he digs into the American history the next year.
deltagal wrote:Julie, Thank you. I've had another thought - to completely finish what we are currently doing and then pick-up WHL at that point in history (beginning of 18th century) and then move forward.
I do think that skipping parts of WHL is possible. However, we are a few weeks into 2nd semester of WHL and are only beginning to touch on the 1700s. If you go this route, you might want to think about whether your son could benefit from part of 1st semester. Has he read the whole Bible, line by line? Has he learned about church history as it unfolded after Jesus? Has he read a little Shakespeare and done a big research paper? If you have the WHL set, you might find some nuggets to keep, even if you aren't doing all the history. It might becomes full year by just replacing smaller parts of history with delving into parts he likes (like a research report on some detail of history that fascinates him).

Just a thought.
Julie

deltagal

Re: American History as Sophomore?

Unread post by deltagal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:04 pm

I'm looking at your list. He has:
read alot of Shakespeare
done a big research paper
learned about church history as it unfolded after Jesus

He has not read the entire Bible line by line.
It's something to mull over. You've given me some great insight.
With Joy!
Florence
http://awhynotblog.blogspot.com/

dd 7: MFW 1st grade
ds 10, 13, 15: ECC - maps, missionaries, and reading on Wednesdays
dd 2: ?

Julie in MN

Re: American History as Sophomore?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:10 am

deltagal wrote:The more I look at this and ponder, the more I think that we should simply finish what we are doing and then begin WHL in the fall of his sophomore year. There will be some repetition, but he is doing his big Shakespeare project this year on Hamlet, not Julius Caesar. He has also read More than a Carpenter just recently, but we could sub in something. Other than that all the literature selections look new and on his level. Which I really like! We'll see where God leads on this.
Florence, it sounds like a plan is hatching :) You're giving him a solid education, and I'm sure either of your ideas for WHL will work out well. I think you have enough years to get the entire Bible in and explore some apologetics in these last few short years at home, and I think you'll love the way Marie Hazell has it all planned out for you.
Blessings,
Julie