Testing - CLEP Discussions

sewardmom

Testing - CLEP Discussions

Unread post by sewardmom » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:11 am

High School Biology Clep
sewardmom wrote:My 9th grader will be completing Apologia Biology in the near future.
Has anyone had their student CLEP out right after Biology I or did you wait until Biology II ?
~Terri
I inquired via the online helpline at Apologia about this.

The basics of the response:
Both Biology and Chemistry are actually prerequisites for the Adv. Biology course, so it is not possible to skip Chemistry and complete Adv. Biology right after Biology. However, it is possible to CLEP out of Biology after just completing the Biology course. "

A resource she highly recommended to fill in any gaps and cover the evolutionary content - CLEP Biology (REA) with CD-ROM - The Best Test Prep for the CLEP Exam: with REA's TESTware (Test Preps) [Paperback] Laurie Ann Callihan (Author) - this is available from Amazon and probably other sites too.

There are two practice tests included in the book at the back. If, after reviewing the material in the book, your daughter can pass the practice tests, she should do just fine on the real test. If she has questions about the materials or the actual test, feel free to contact me here at the Apologia helpline. "

So - I guess we will try that when she finishes up Biology 1.

----- a personal comment.... boy I dislike having to have her 'pass' an evolution section!
Tell her to 'study' the lies to pass the clep - don't like that very much. :|

~Terri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

Julie in MN

Re: High School Biology Clep

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:17 am

sewardmom wrote:----- a personal comment.... boy I dislike having to have her 'pass' an evolution section!
Tell her to 'study' the lies to pass the clep - don't like that very much. :|
Look at it as studying what others believe -- she'll be a better testimony when she can speak knowledgeably about the differences.

It will probably also help her pass college tests in science at some point, etc.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

No clep'ing....what do you do instead?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:32 pm

classicalmom wrote:We are not clepping here. Most colleges here in Indiana do not accept these. You have to do dual college credits instead. So we will not follow the Clep portion of MFW. So what do you do if you did not do clep portion?
...my question is: If you are not clepping, then what do you do with that time that would have been spent on Clep study?
thanks!
Holly
It's just the extra CLEP book that you don't need. I'm not really expecting my son to take CLEP tests, but I did buy the CLEP history book because I thought there might be some benefit in expecting him to retain some info. But then Bret at convention asked me, Why not take the test anyways?!... and I was back to thinking maybe I will. I guess I don't have to decide right now :)

As for the time, the CLEP book is not part of any high school package, so it's not scheduled in. I believe many folks do the CLEP book right after completing the subject, in the early summer? I don't think you need to worry about subbing anything.
Julie
cbollin wrote:clep study is at the end of the year. plan for 2 hours a day for about 4 weeks or so. if you don't do CLEP study, then high schoolers can work, do service, or dare I say it? enjoy the time in whatever interests them - learning musical instruments, art work, a job.... all of those things can be just as valuable on transcript instead of took a multiple choice test. they could even instead of clep study... spend it on prep for ACT/SAT in fall.

Julie in MN

Why CLEP?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:23 pm

momonthemove wrote:Hello all. I have a couple questions about CLEP. My oldest is a 7th grader and we will start ECC this year with him and his younger brother. Sister will be starting Kindergarten. We are switching to MFW because I was really impressed with their high school curriculum and then really got excited about the rest too! LOL

I tend to look ahead and research ahead so that I am not scrambling to select curriculum, etc. I have seen and read multiple posts about CLEP on this forum and on other forums. My questions are truly non-judgemental and I hope you will read them as such. I just want a bigger picture to help me to think about this as we near high school.

1) What is the basis for doing CLEP? Is it primarily financial (ie. college credits for less $ than per credit hour costs?)

2) Which academic areas do you usually CLEP in? And, is there a site that shows more about this?

3) IF you have CLEP'd, and your child has earned multiple credits to put them at higher level college classes for their freshman year, have you found their maturity matches these classes? Their study habits?

4) Do you see a benefit in not CLEPing and just having your children experience traditional college entry level courses as a freshman? Maybe they would take a few community college classes their senior year, but mainly have entry level classes as a freshman.

5) Do you envision that your children will live at home and go to college, or will they most likely go away for college? And, if they are going away, is there a bias towards CLEP or non-CLEP?

I appreciate your willingness to respond.
Deb
Interesting conversation. I'll join in :)

#1 (a) I think a BIG reason for CLEP is the cost, as you mentioned. College costs SO much more than when I was in school.
(b) However, I think sometimes students do CLEP just to stand out from the crowd of applicants. Anything your student can do to stand out, will be helpful.
(c) And in homeschool circles, I think CLEP is big just because our students are an unknown quantity and an outside eval is helpful, such as dual enrollment or CLEP testing.
(d) CLEP can be used by you as the teacher for other purposes, similar to standardized testing, such as evaluating your student's needs, raising the bar for your student, showing your student what will be expected of him ( !! ), etc.

#2 Another factor might be what your particular college accepts in terms of CLEP. Sometimes they don't allow credits in your own major. Sometimes they don't allow anything at all. Here's where you can look that up.
http://www.cleptestreview.com/clep-college-search/

#4 You can do both CLEP and just start with your freshman class, so you have options, and I like options :) I think some of that depends on the kind of program you're in.
(a) I have a son who went to a smaller college and wanted to enter with his class. So, even though he could have went higher into calculus, he decided to start over with his class (he'd had calculus at his high school and at the community college). He knew what he wanted to do and he did it in 4 years and he enjoyed being part of a class.
(b) I have nieces who went to more general universities (and even some of my son's classmates in his smaller engineering college) didn't really know exactly what they wanted to do. Most spent at least 5 years in school and some didn't even graduate at that point. Even those from very poor families have big-time debt now. CLEP might have helped them save some money, move faster, weed some things out earlier, etc.

Just some random thoughts,
Julie

momonthemove

Re: Why CLEP?

Unread post by momonthemove » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Postby momonthemove » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:59 am
Thank you for your responses. I appreciated you taking the time to respond. This is a whole new world. When I purchased the curriculum for my 7th grader...suddenly being out of elementary school and in junior high...it hit me we are not far from high school. So, my thoughts and questions have shifted into being more educated in that area as well.

Thanks again.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

MFW-Lucy

CLEP - separating studying or just take test at end of y

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Tracey in ME wrote:I'm VERY interested in my upcoming 11th grader just CLEP'in out of some classes she would normally take the first year of college. As many as she can! ;) I mean, who knows what the Lord really has in store for her after high school...but why not get the biggest jump on college that we can, right? Especially if it saves lots of $$$.

I also have heard that CLEP can count for high school credits AND college...so why not just do the CLEPs and study for them where applicable towards our nearest university? No?

Question is, is MFW's curriculum enough studying to just take the CLEP test at the end of the year, or should we get the study guide NOW and use MFW and other texts? Anyone with experience in this or who knows more than I do?

I just purchased the CLEP Official Study Guide 2012 for a starter...then plan to purchase the guide MFW sells, CLEP History of the United States 1 before each test. This all around study guide was so cheap, I figured I get it first. I checked into what CLEP our nearest university accepts...and that's as far as I've checked.
Hi Tracey,

CLEP test do not count as high school credit as far as we understand credits for high school graduation and college entrance. CLEP Test allow you to earn credit for a college course (not all CLEP courses are accepted by all colleges and universities, check with the colleges or universities you are considering to possibly attend). CLEP study materials are meant to be used as review. It is assumed that a student has completed a thorough study of the subject (as they would receive if taking a college class). Completing a credit based high school college prep course is a significant part of the preparation for taking a CLEP test. CLEP study material is preparing the student for information expected to be included on the test. Some material maybe new to the student in a CLEP preparation course, as there is some information that may be included in a college course that was not included in a high school course.

A high school credit is based on approximately 150 hours of study for a student who reads at an average pace. Faster readers will take a little less time and slower readers will take a little more. This is the time that is used by high schools and colleges to measure a credit. Each subject will also have a specific information that is expected to be covered for each credit. My Father's World high school program is a credit based program written to meet high school graduation and college entrance requirements. Each year our high school program covers 3 credits, 1 credit each in Bible, history, and literature and composition. Each year of high school will take about 3 hours a day. This is the time it should take any credit based program to be completed. Other required subjects, math, science and electives such as foreign language will be added each year to complete the credit hours needed for high school graduation and college entrance requirements. We have recommended materials for the above subjects. Please visit our website for more information: http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool.html

We recommend CLEP test be taken as close to the completion of each high school course as possible while the information is still fresh on the students mind. Some CLEP test have a higher success rate than others, so you may want to research which ones to take beyond the ones we currently recommend.

I hope this is helpful to you as you are making plans for high school.

Tracey in ME

Re: CLEP - separating studying or just take test at end of y

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:29 pm

Lucy Robertson wrote:CLEP test do not count as high school credit as far as we understand credits for high school graduation and college entrance. CLEP Test allow you to earn credit for a college course (not all CLEP courses are accepted by all colleges and universities, check with the colleges or universities you are considering to possibly attend). CLEP study materials are meant to be used as review. It is assumed that a student has completed a thorough study of the subject (as they would receive if taking a college class).
Lucy, you are so right! I feel like a dope for not realizing this sooner...duh!
cbollin wrote:on the Saxon Alg 2 DIVE CD CLEP Professor (that MFW sells)... the DIVE guy says, 90% of the College Algebra CLEP is from material learned in Saxon Alg 2. the other 10% comes from Saxon Advanced test and is taught in the CLEP Professor guide. It is not "review" only on that study guide. It is new material as well.

I know we were frustrated a lot in the last week as we began the CLEP Professor thinking it was "review to refresh" and found it was review and learn new material.

thought I'd share that about this specific resource as it is a tiny bit different from the norm.

-crystal
Soooo...I should have the DIVE CD for my 16yo to study for the College Algebra CLEP and the guide?
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

Bret Welshymer

CLEP Exams

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:50 pm

Huston5082 wrote:I have a son who will be in 9th grade next year. I am planning on having him do many CLEP exams to get college credit. I see that upon completion of the first year high school curriculum History of the US up to 1877, they recommend two CLEP study books--History of the US I and also College Composition.

I am wondering how successful any of your children have been at taking these exams after completing the curriculum. Does it prepare them well for the exams?

Thanks!
Melanie
Each year of the high school program builds upon itself especially in Bible and the English. Our family found using the program in order really helpful. I don't think my kids would have been ready for the type of thinking and writing required in US History to 1877 until 11th grade. This is the order recommended:
9th - Ancient History and Literature
10th - World History and Literature
11th - US History to 1877
12th - US History 1877 to the Present

Two of my kids passed the English Comp CLEP after 11th grade. My son also passed the US History CLEP. My daughter has not taken it yet. We have another friend who passed both after US History to 1877. Another friend's daughter passed the College Algebra CLEP after completing Algebra 2 having followed MFW recommendations for math.

We have been very pleased with MFW high school. My son graduates from college this spring with great grades. My daughter has completed a year of college successfully.

Lisa M

Yea! Western Civ II CLEP - earned 3 credits!

Unread post by Lisa M » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 am

In the discussion about dual credit, just sharing our experience.

My son is 16, a Sophomore, doing Year 2 MFW High School.

After completing Videotext Complete Algebra last fall, we then registered for ALEKS College Algebra, an ACE approved class. He spent a few weeks in that program, reach his 70% assessment rate, and was then awarded 3 college credits through ACE.

Last month, he completed the History portion of MFW. He then read Western Civilization by Spielvogel (was recommended to my by MFW), as well as working through the online flashcards on Instant Cert. He is also an avid reader. He closely passed on his first CLEP test with 52. 3 more college credits!

Our plan for him is to acquire as many dual credits as possible, then complete an online BA through a college like Thomas Edison that has a generous alternative credit policy. He can later complete a Masters in something more specific to what he wants to do.

Just thought I'd share.
DD 8 yrs homeschool; Junior in PS
DD 2017 10 years homeschool; graduated 2 of 70
DS 2015 Homeschool Graduate; Four year college tuition scholarship
DD 2013 Valedictorian of tiny PS; 10 years home school