Updates - High school changes

Julie - Staff

Updates - High school changes

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:22 am

Ancient History & Literature (AHL)
1. Lesson Plans: All covers where changed to reflect the MFW "Declare" stage for high school (2013).

2. Exploring World History by Ray Notgrass went to a new edition in 2014. Two sets of AHL Lesson Plans were sold for about three years. According to the Notgrass website, they have added:
** Hundreds of full-color photographs and illustrations, including fine art from many countries
** Two-column format to improve readability
** New content in the last two units, including a lesson on The Making of the Modern Middle East
** Full-page sections highlighting what was happening in the Americas, Africa, and Asia in units focused on Western Civilization
** Additions to In Their Words that broaden geographic coverage
** The Student Review Pack, which replaces the former Quiz & Exam Pack, now includes revised review questions and two additional exams. The quizzes and exams are also provided separately from the rest of the review material.

3. Timeline figures: MFW version on sticky paper released in 2015. The set includes instructions for using these with Lesson Plans printed before 2015.

4. Timeline: This was gradually improved until the present version which was designed to work with the new MFW timeline figures; it now opens with 3 pages of pre-printed timeline figures in color (with blanks to be filled in by the student).

5. The David C. Cook Journey through the Bible was previously called Victor Journey through the Bible.  All of the pages and content are the same.  The Lesson Plans can be used without any changes. Whenever Victor is referenced, you can use The David C. Cook Journey through the Bible instead.

6. The Student Bible Atlas as well as new maps in the Appendix of the AHL Lesson Plans replaced World History Map Activities and Rand McNally Historical Atlas of the World - those 2 resources were moved to the WHL package in 2014.
2016: Student Bible Atlas revised edition.

7. What on Earth am I Here For replaced Purpose Driven Life (~2012). Besides the title/cover change, there are 2 new chapters at the end of the book on "the most common barriers to living a purpose driven life" (titled "The Envy Trap" and "The People-Pleaser Trap"), as well as video, audio, and online content that is not scheduled by MFW. Page numbers may be slightly different, but assigned chapters are the same.

8. Audio versions of Bubastes and Odyssey were added as Enrichment Items:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/70132/The- ... bastes-CD/
http://www.mfwbooks.com/item/70131/The-Odyssey-CD/

World History & Literature (WHL)
1. Lesson Plans: All covers where changed to reflect the MFW "Declare" stage for high school (2013).

2. Timeline: This was gradually improved until the present version which opens with 3 pages of pre-printed timeline figures for events surrounding Jesus' life already in place, in color.

3. DK History of the World went out of print for a while, so those lesson plans changed over time:
a. The old edition DK
b. No DK book scheduled (2009)
c. The new MFW edition of the DK book (2010)

4. Exploring World History by Notgrass: New edition in 2014, included in AHL (above). WHL Lesson Plans scheduled both editions for three years (2014, 2015, 2016), and now only the current edition of Notgrass is scheduled. According to the Notgrass website, they have added:
** Hundreds of full-color photographs and illustrations, including fine art from many countries
** New content in the last two units, including a lesson on The Making of the Modern Middle East
** Full-page sections highlighting what was happening in the Americas, Africa, and Asia in units focused on Western Civilization
** Additions to In Their Words that broaden geographic coverage
** The Student Review Pack, which replaces the former Quiz & Exam Pack, now includes revised review questions and two additional exams. The quizzes and exams are also provided separately from the rest of the review material.

5. World History Map Activities and Rand McNally Historical Atlas of the World moved to the WHL package in 2014/2015 (previously, these 2 items were in the AHL package, and families new to MFW had to purchase them separately for WHL).

6. Church History in Plain Language: This became optional in 2015, but it still recommended and scheduled.

7. Writer's Inc: New edition in 2017, with new page numbers.

U.S. History to 1877 (US1)

2. BJU U.S. History 4th edition released in 2012, TM and Answer Key updated to match new edition.

3. Under God 7th edition released in Feb. 2013. Rather than having families purchase an additional answer key, we developed our own answers.
4. American Literature Supplement minor changes in July 2016, mostly eliminating E assignments. Families with older Lesson Plans can just do the A through D assignments.

5. Ann Judson title change from My Heart in His Hands. Content seems the same other than an added intro.

US2

donutmom

AHL Book Question

Unread post by donutmom » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:29 am

makdonnelly wrote:Does anyone know if the Victor Journey Through the Bible is the same as or different from David Cook Journey Through the Bible?

Thanks!
Alicia
My friend had the newer version, I the older. We didn't compare every sentence, mind you, but all the pages we looked at were identical. Page numbers, pictures, etc. all matched up. The only thing we could find different was just the name on the cover & 3 of the cover pictures were a bit different.
Julie in MN wrote:Wow, Dee, you're a great resource on that!
Ah, gee, thanks! ;)

It's only because my friend borrowed a number of my books, but I needed to keep my Victor for Ancients this year. When she received hers, she was concerned--website still had pix with old cover, but she received new titled book, and knew it wasn't like mine. So we compared, and now we know. And now anyone else does, too!

-dee

Julie in MN

Geography in AHL and WHL?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:21 pm

4Truth wrote:I'm no longer seeing the Map Activities book in the AHL package, but I still see a link to it on the WHL page. I see the Student Bible Atlas in AHL, which didn't used to be there. Can someone share what's changed with this? Is the Map Activities book still used in WHL, but not AHL?
Hi Donna,
This is how I understood it at convention.

The two map books that were in AHL weren't used very much that year, just ancient Egypt and ancient Greece and a couple more. They're mostly used in WHL, when 0.25 credit of geography can be earned. Therefore, those 2 books are going to move to the WHL package. There will still be some maps in AHL but they will be included in the manual, with the new Bible Atlas as the reference book.

This year (basically, packages sold spring 2014 until spring 2015), AHL was updated to include that change. However, WHL didn't change to include the 2 map books because most families using WHL this year will have already bought the 2 map books with the AHL package last year. However, the 2 map books are sold separately just in case the family didn't use AHL last year. Next year, when the rising 10th graders don't have the 2 map books, they will be included in the WHL package.

Does that make any sense at all?
Julie
4Truth wrote:Yep, got it! Thank you, Julie. :)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MFW-Lucy

Differences in WHL editions?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:58 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:Read: Am I missing out on something if I use the 2007 version that I already have? :/ I saved it from when my daughter used it 2 years ago and will be using it with my son next year. I did notice that the WHL Guide has plans for BOTH editions of Notgrass WH.

I also noticed that the MFW special ed. of History of the World is used in the newer edition. It's not scheduled in the 2007. :( So…am I really missing out or is it ok to just use what I have? Thanks. :)
Sue,

If you want to use this book you may consider upgrading the Daily Lesson Plans. You can call the office to do that. You would need to also purchase the DK History of the World. This is a great book and the year it went out of print we had to remove it from the package. We were excited to be able to work with the publisher to have a special printing of this book so that we could add it back into the program the next year. It is a wonderful book, but you can complete the program without having it if you do not want to upgrade and purchase the book.

Hope that helps,
Lucy

TriciaMR

What on earth am i here for- difference in versions - AHL

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 pm

Renai wrote:Just wondering what is the difference between the 2004 version and the one MFW carries. Thanks
Renai,

You can definitely use the older version. in the new version, the publisher changed the cover, and added in 2 chapters. Another addition was suggestion to audio links were added at end of each chapter. Looking through the new lesson plans, MFW doesn't schedule those, so you can skip those "messages to hear". The new chapters are here
  • Video introductions by Rick Warren to chapters 1-42
    An audio lesson at the end of each chapter, with over 30 additional hours of teaching by Rick Warren
    Two new bonus chapters on the most common barriers to living a purpose driven life
    Access to an online community where you can discuss your journey to purpose, get feedback, and receive support
Renai wrote:Thanks Trish! And, long time no see
You're welcome!
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

LSH in MS

2014 edition Notgrass World History - WHL

Unread post by LSH in MS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 pm

I have the older edition of the Notgrass World History. I have lost the quiz and exam book that went with my edition. I found a downloadable book on the Notgrass website for my edition.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

TriciaMR

guide differences - AHL

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:35 pm

annaz wrote:Is there much of a guide change difference between 2007 and present?
Depends on which year...
annaz wrote:Whoops, AHL!

I can't find anywhere on the website either.
The Notgrass history book changed between the two years. Not sure what else.

Journey through the Bible is the same on the inside. Purpose Driven Life (What am I Here For?) has an extra chapter or two, but not necessary, and I think you can read the new chapter on the website.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

annaz

Re: guide differences

Unread post by annaz » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Oh good, thanks. If I go this route, I want the entire package, new guide and all. I'm just simply wanting one CHEAP to peruse it enough to see if this is the direction we'll go since samples never do a program justice. :) But I didn't want one so cheap or so old that it didn't really give me the gist of the current program.

Thanks again!

Julie in MN

differences in editions of AHL??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:40 pm

wsterk wrote:First, how many editions of AHL are there? Will I be fine if I have an older version of AHL or should I buy new? Not sure about the changes in the lesson plans. What are the differences? Anyone know off hand?? Did MFW just make changes because the Notgrass History books were updated? Thanks so much!
Hello,
I think the most helpful thing is to get a complete package that was sold by MFW at the same time, so all page numbers and assignments will match.

MFW has not been creating new editions the way some curriculums have, but there are a few minor changes that might or might not matter to you.

1. The covers got prettier when MFW went to the "Declare" stage for high school.

2. Some publishers changed editions, including Notgrass (as you mentioned), Purpose Driven, and Journey Through the Bible. These can affect page numbering and such.

3. MFW has been phasing in a mapping change and this year it will be completed. The original mapping activities and historical maps have moved to WHL. AHL will have its own maps and will include a different reference book (Student Bible Atlas).

4. There have been some changes to the timeline book almost every year, making it better and better. When I did AHL, it was a blank drawing pad and we followed instructions to write in all the dates etc.

5. This isn't really a change, but MFW now offers the option of using audio versions of Bubastes and Iliad.

Note that MFW always corrects typos and does other little tweaks noticed or requested along the way, but they will be minor.

HTH,
Julie

Julie in MN

WHL...update to latest edition or ??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:20 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:Hi everyone. I have a fairly old edition of the WHL curriculum which uses the 1st edition Notgrass World History. I have used it with 2 children now and had planned to use it with my rising 10th grader next year. Any reason I can't use the one I have or would it be beneficial to upgrade at this point? My next child won't be using WHL for another 4 years if I stick with my current plans. By then, who knows what will be out! Thanks!
baileymom wrote:I'm "kinda" wondering this same thing. We bought WHL right before MFW changed, and now my youngest daughter is backtracking and doing AHL next year. I'd really like to just order the individual AHL items we'll need and use the Notgrass we have ... but I'm not sure it will work???
Sue and Kathi,
I remember brainstorming any AHL changes (for Kathi) here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 83#p100083

So, let's see what I can remember about WHL changes:
1. Notgrass new edition, as mentioned.

2. The DK History of the World book went out of print for a while, so your lesson plans might look like:
a. The old edition DK
b. No DK book scheduled
c. The new MFW edition of the DK book

3. The map book and atlas used to be sold with the AHL package and used over two years, but they are now part of the WHL package, so you may or may not have those.

4. The timeline has improved gradually, so a new one will likely be nicer than an older edition.

5. There will always be publisher changes and typo fixes and the like.

I think the most important thing is to decide whether you have everything that matches your manual, or whether you are okay with adapting page numbers of new editions and such. The program is basically the same, and it was good then so I'd think it would be good now!

P.S. manual upgrades are around half price, if that would help.
Julie

baileymom

Re: WHL...update to latest edition or ??

Unread post by baileymom » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:52 pm

Julie,

So ... having bought WHL right before the change to new Notgrass last winter, and then buying new AHL individual items this summer won't hinder the study of AHL at all. ... possibly just different page numbers for Notgrass?

(Sorry. It can get confusing when I'm trying to make sure we have all we need for 6 students)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Julie in MN

Re: WHL...update to latest edition or ??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:00 pm

Kathi,
<hugs> for caring for so many!

Notgrass, to me, is not a major part of AHL. Just the "ancient" portions of Notgrass are read, about the Hebrews and Greeks mostly. Notgrass is much more a WHL text.

The notgrass website lists these changes. None of them seems particularly important for ancient history.
** Hands-on project ideas for each unit
** Literature choices and additions to In Their Words that broaden geographic coverage

The Student Review Pack, which replaces the former Quiz & Exam Pack, now includes Bible commentary, literary analysis, revised review questions, and two additional exams. The quizzes and exams are also provided separately from the rest of the review material.
Julie

donutmom

AHL: Can I just use 'the Purpose Driven Life'?

Unread post by donutmom » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:54 pm

rawbanana wrote:I already have 'The Purpose Driven Life' and am wondering do I NEED 'What am I here for?' for AHL to make the year 'work' better?? Trying to pinch pennies as I have a LOT of stuff to order this year =) Thanks!!
Anna,

We used The Purpose Driven Life, because we already owned it, and we were also trying to save some pennies.

The difference between the two versions is that the What on Earth edition has 2 extra chapters (titled "The Envy Trap" and "The People-Pleaser Trap" for those who may wonder). They are added at the end of the book, so they don't affect other parts. Haven't read them, but we didn't feel like child missed out (maybe if we read them we would!!! ;) ). Chapter titles all remain the same, just page numbers are slightly off--but we're OK with that.

Child #2 starts with AHL next year, and guess what edition he'll be using. . . .yep, same one we already own. So, my 2 cents is you don't NEED the new edition--especially when cents are a precious commodity!!

-Dee
rawbanana wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:12 am
Thank you, Dee!

Julie in MN

Iliad and Odyssey, does it matter which cover???

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:06 pm

rawbanana wrote:I may be getting these from a gal and she got them with the 2007 set so the covers are different from the ones currently sold by MFW, is the content the same? Will it line up ok? Thanks!
I can't imagine it would? You could always call the office, but the assignments are all by chapter and not by page, and I wouldn't think a translator would change his translation without labeling it a new edition.

HTH,
Julie

Julie in MN

AHL Lit Supplement VERSION

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:32 pm

mom2h wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:56 am
Wondering if the AHL Lit Supplement has been around long enough to have any revisions? My friend's version is spiral bound with "scripty" writing on the cover. The new one I see in the MFW catalog has all uppercase block lettering. I don't want to buy one that has changed and get confused with it.
Thanks,
mom2h
All the MFW covers changed several years ago when MFW went with its new logo that more clearly marked out the Discover, Investigate, and Declare stages of learning. That was just a cosmetic change.

I can't think of anything else that's changed in the supplement. Of course, if MFW heard about publisher changes in page numbers or consumer feedback about typos and such, there would be small edits along the way. The office could tell you for sure, but I can't think of anything that would have changed in the Lit Supplement.

Julie
mom2h wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:24 pm
Thanks for the quick reply, Julie!

TriciaMR

AHL - mapping?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:59 pm

blessedmomof3 wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:12 pm
Can someone tell me if the "world history map activities" is used in AHL. I see that it is used in WHL. When I googled that book and found the publisher's website, I was able to look at the table of contents. It has some ancient geography in it as well. Not near as much as just general world geography - Is that why it's not used for AHL?

Is there any mapping done in AHL?
Kelli
My daughter said there were a few maps in the back of the Daily Lesson Plans for AHL to do.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Re: AHL - mapping?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:51 am

When my son did AHL, the mapping book was part of the AHL package, even though it was used much more in WHL (similar to the Notgrass set).

At some point, MFW created their own maps for AHL, which it sounds like are part of the manual, from what Trish's daughter said. And the map book was moved to the WHL package.

blessedmomof3

Re: AHL - mapping?

Unread post by blessedmomof3 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Thank you Julie and Tricia. That makes sense. I didn't know they provided maps for AHL.

Kelli

TriciaMR

what is the copyright date of the current edition of WHL daily lesson plans?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:39 pm

rawbanana wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:58 pm
Is it 2011?
Thank you!
MIne, that I bought last year, says 2007.
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Christy - Staff

Re: what is the copyright date of the current edition of WHL daily lesson plans?

Unread post by Christy - Staff » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:26 am

There are 2 dates found inside the Daily Lesson Plan; the copyright date and the print date.

The copyright date for the World History and Literature Daily Lesson Plan is 2007.

The print date is more important if you are trying to determine which books are compatible. This date changes each time we print a new batch of Daily Lesson Plans. The most current print date is May 2015.

Notgrass republished their Exploring World History books in 2014. The current WHL DLP schedules both editions of these books. If your family is using the current edition the student will use the schedule at the top of the page. If your student is using the older edition they will follow the black/white schedule at the bottom of the page.

Here is a link to the WHL DLP on our website: http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... sample.pdf.

Christy
Christy Callahan - MFW Customer Service Team Lead
Wife to Mike (homeschooling dad)
Mom to 5 blessings and foster mom to many