Economics in a Box

cbollin

Economics in a Box

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:59 am

Jody wrote:Have any of you used Economics in a Box yet? I am trying to find out more about it and how it measures up to other programs before we jump into it. Is this a newly written program?
How does it compare to Biblical Economics by RC Sproul or Exploring Economics by the Notgrass Company? Economics in a Box seems to cost so much more than either of these options, but I don't really know what is in the box that is so different. :)
Thanks for any insight,
Jody
Jody,
Welcome to the forum.

I got Econ in a Box included with US2 package. We’re currently in US1 therefore haven’t started the Econ course for next year. Since MFW has worked so well for my family since 2003, I just figured I’d finish it out.

I didn’t cross compare with other programs out there for economics since MFW was including something in 12th grade program. So I don’t know how it compares to other stuff in terms of use, content and such. Econ in a Box is definitely Christian, pro free market. Has the think tank going for it. In some ways, it’s like asking the difference between using just Story of the World, versus using MFW in younger years… Not sure that analogy makes sense this early today.

Yes, Econ in a Box is cha ching probably due to all of the video components with it. So far, I’ve enjoyed previewing. I was a business major back in my day in university. Never liked or understood much of anything with macro or micro economics. I remember passing the course. Econ courses from the liberal arts division was dry for me. However, I’m liking Econ in a Box. The videos help. The lesson planning on it is really good. I haven’t done the whole course or watched all of the videos. I had this crazy notion that I’d take the course before my daughter does. But it might turn out that doesn’t happen. I like the “think tank” aspect of this course over “just” a textbook approach or just over a single author compilation approach. I like this think tank aspect with this course. I like the idea that it seems like it’s something that will help make sense of adult world beyond just doing econ in high school. I can’t describe that very well. It’s this feeling that the way this course is done, they’ll understand a bit more at election time when politicians are talking, or laws being passed. That isn’t to say the other courses can’t do that, but I haven’t used those to know.

On another forum I’m on, I’ve heard good stuff about this course from those who are not using MFW. That forum has a rep for rigorous homeschooling.

Welcome along.
-crystal

Bret Welshymer

Re: Economics in a box

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:51 pm

Economics in a Box has been piloted and published in a final format during the past 2 years. While teaching the principles of micro and macro economics, it also brings in a very application oriented approach helping the student to understand the current economic situation. The feed back we received during the year it was piloted by students using Year 4 of MFW high school was very positive. Most of the students found the program engaging, challenging, and practical. My personal response to the materials has been very positive. The DVD's are very interesting and educational. The package includes a very nicely laid out spiral bound teacher guide and a separate consumable student workbook, 7 cd/dvd, and the three books.

Jody

Re: Economics in a box

Unread post by Jody » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Thank you Brett & Crystal, your responses actually help me a lot.
I currently have 2 finishing Kindergarten, 1 starting 1850-ModernTimes, and 1 Finishing WHL. This is our 3rd year using MFW and our 10th year homeschooling.We are so thankful to have found MFW, and plan on sticking with it since it fits us so well.

MFW-Lucy

Economics In a Box High School - grading

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:07 pm

sewardmom wrote:What grading guidelines did you use for EIB?
I didn't notice any grading suggestions.... unless I missed them.
~Terri
Dear Terri,

We recommend using a combination of the workbook assignments, quizzes, and tests to decide on a grade for this course. If you discuss this with your child include discussion as a part as well. You can decide how much you want each of these to count as part of the overall grade. It is left up to each family to decide how the grade for this course will be determined.

If you have further questions, please let us know or give us a call at 573-202-2000 to speak with on of our staff.

sewardmom

Re: Economics In a Box High School - grading

Unread post by sewardmom » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks Lucy - I already set some guidelines including what you mentioned except I included the three exams. I didn't see any quizzes.
Glad to know I was on the right track.

~TErri
Currently US1and US2 High School
Completed ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, AHL, WHL, US1
Nebraksa MFW fan since 2006

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing....

Julie in MN

Re: Economics In a Box High School

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi Terri,
I think by "quizzes," Lucy means the "testing your knowledge" sections of the student book that are scheduled on most Fridays (starting week 5 in the workbook).

We haven't done Econ yet, but when I decide how to weight different parts of a course, I usually wait to look at the pieces and see how I "like" them and whether my student's scores reflect what I'm seeing in his learning. Sometimes I decide that tests & quizzes are too nit-picky for me, or too confusing, so I give them very little weight in the overall grade. Other times I decide my ds really needs to learn the skill, so I allow some open-book quizzes but I expect more, and I continue to expect more when he starts doing the quizzes & tests with books closed.

I tend to wing it a lot -- my son got it, discussed it, learned, or he didn't. If he didn't, then I usually have him do more, write a paper, etc., until he at least earns a B. This seems consistent enough with what I've seen done by public school teachers and college professors, who often offer extra credit or other options.

My method may be too loosy-goosy for some, or too time-consuming. A straight percentage could always be half and half. Crystal has mentioned to me that she did about 50% daily work & discussion, 50% tests & quizzes.

Best wishes as you make a decision here!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs