Combining Younger Sibs - Can we line up topics?

Lucy

Combining Younger Sibs - Can we line up topics?

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:32 pm

Comparing the high school & younger cycles

They do coincide somewhat, but you will not be doing topics on the same weeks or the same actitivies since the High School program is much more in-depth. A couple of examples are in the High School program for Ancients the student will read the entire old testement where as in CTG only selected passages are read. In the High School program you will read both the entire Iliad and Odyssey where as in CTG you will only read the Children's Homer.

This is why this program is done independently by the high school student and not with the rest of the family.

I hope this answers the question you were asking. I just wanted to be clear that they were 2 very different programs.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Lucy

Siblings - Can we keep on the same topics?

Unread post by Lucy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:41 pm

Just to give you some idea of how it has worked for us this year.

The high school program is very independent of the other years. I had considered doing what you are doing as well [having younger children do CTG while high schooler did Ancients] but decided against it. Although they would be covering some of the same material it would not be done together.

The last time my son did ECC was 2nd grade. I think this will be a great asset going into high school although they will cover geography again in high school. It is giving us some time to work on character issues and reading the upper level missionary bios is really great. Of course it has been a great review of learning where the countries are.

Anyway, I would definitely consider doing ECC again and then decide about the following year.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

Independence vs. studying the same topics as siblings

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:17 pm

No Place Like Home wrote:Hi! My name is Heather, and I live in the great state of KS. My husband Jeremiah and I have five children, ages 11, 9, 6, 3, and 4 months. I am contemplating a big change for this upcoming school year and have pretty much narrowed it down to MFW and another program which has just four "cores" that each child goes through sequentially, using a different set of books each time they repeat a program. This would ensure that all children are studying the same period in history, elementary through highschool as opposed to MFW where once a child reaches 9th grade, they move onto the highschool programs which may or may not correspond with what the youngers are learning (or am I misunderstanding how that works?).
Heather
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:16 pm
Hi Heather,
You mean you really are in KS and using that screen name? I like you already :--)

MFW’s high school program is run independently so that no one gets lost. And every stage of learning (and stage of parenting) can be dealt with in real time. The MFW authors have found that high schoolers are just ready to be more independent and on their own and getting ready for life away from the nest. You don't really want to be faced with the situation of speed it up and lose the younger crowd or you hold back your oldest unnecessarily. MFW writes curriculum to meet that multiple stages of learning reality.

Lots of good stuff in the high school program including easy to follow manual that is written for the student to do on their own, inclusion of service projects, and even parent/student conference each week. With MFW’s high school, you don’t really “teach” the way you do in the 5 year cycle programs. So it’s ok if not everyone is learning the same thing. As much as we don’t like to admit it, our teenagers grow up on us. Even my mother in law keeps telling me (and did so a lot over the last couple of days) – eventually your family is bonded by things other than school work. I felt like God was using her words to remind me to stick it out with MFW. your mileage may vary of course :)
--crystal

LA in Baltimore

Including high schooler in some subjects

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:09 pm

lolmomof4 wrote:I wish I'd known this curriculum existed a long time ago! It appears to be EXACTLY what I have been searching for but could never find (nor figure out how to put together myself). And now that I know that it exists, I have a few questions I'd like to roll off the long time users.

I have 4 children in varying ages. My oldest is in 9th grade and my next school age child is a 1st grader. My oldest is a sweet, mature young lady. She has been almost totally independent in her work the last couple of years and has done well academically but has lost the joy and excitement she once had for learning. I have felt the Lord leading me to find some way of re-igniting the spark. We spoke about this and she and I were both excited about the thought of learning together as a family. My thoughts were to choose a MFW program for the 1st (soon to be 2nd) grader and include my high schooler in Bible & History together (her other subjects would continue at HS level). Of course, I'd have to think of how to fine tune this a bit to her level. Perhaps with additional research and writing assignments?

Are there any other MFW's doing something like this?
Nicole S
I have a high schooler and know what you mean about them losing some of the excitement when there is a big gap before the next child and they work independently much of the time. We have almost six years over here.

I have had my oldest (boy) help with the science experiments and cooking projects this year. It keeps him included with the rest of us and also gives him a diversion from his 11th grade studies. He has enjoyed the experiments as much as they have. Some he has done before, but still enjoys testing them out again or making small changes to the experiment to see what will happen. Now, at the supper table, we can ALL talk about what we did together that day!

MFW certainly lends itself to that!

[editor's note: also see this post: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 565#p45565 ]
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

cbollin

Looking for wisdom

Unread post by cbollin » Sun May 02, 2010 6:12 pm

nicfamily wrote:Hello All!
I am a mother of 6 (15,12,11,8,2,2). I have always been fascinated with MFW. Would like to begin MFW in the fall with Exploration to the 1850s, and the US History for HS. I asked about this at one of the conventions and the representative indicated that the HS was suppose to begin, of course, at the beginning. However, I desire to keep us together as much as possible. Also, we did Ancients last year. I figured other homeschoolers in the trenches might have a different point of view. Can't wait to hear what you all have for me.
Welcome along!
I'm not sure there are any of the year 3 pilot families on the forum. So, you might not get a lot of info on the year 3 (US history part 1) program just yet.

I've been using their stuff for 7 years... oldest is almost 15 heading into 9th grade this fall. well.. uhmm... I think it would not be a good idea to start your 15 year old at MFW's year 3 of high school. It's not just the history issues, but building up for the writing skills, worldview build up, logic, and such. And it isn't because this is their board, I'm just a customer so I don't have to say any company line on it. I just don't think that solution is the best fit solution for the big picture needs.

here are some various ideas that popped in my head...

Have you thought about the idea of maybe ECC for non high schoolers, and then maybe either year 1 or year 2 of high school for the oldest? That way, you could connect the family together in other things than history while letting the high schooler work at high school level? They'd be connected via praying together for people around the world, if time permitted, the high schooler might be able to play the geography game once in a while with everyone. But then the high schooler needs to be doing their level of work and planning and stay on the whole 4 year transcript plan.
then they could jump back into the history the next year?

Or you could do EX1850 with non high schoolers, and maybe let the high schooler be connected via Bible memory work together while still doing year 1 of high school.

If the 15 y.o is going into 9th grade, ... and you just did some ancients this year. My oldest is in a similar boat. She's in 8th grade this year and we just did Creation to the Greeks. next year, in 9th, she'll be in MFW Ancients high school. I'm not worried about it. Very different program, different levels. time to let her work more on her own and be connected in other ways than history topics.

I guess I'm just in the philosophy that doesn't think it is always needed to have it connected in high school since they are working more on their own in school topics. Even this year, I really saw my oldest growing up a lot and needing her own pace and depth.

in any case.... Trying to give too much information at once and thinking of various ways to try to make something work. But basically, the one thing I've learned over the years in homeschool curriculum -- when a homeschool author strongly recommends not using a program with a certain age child -- it tends to be from the heart. I've learn to trust that kind of heart experience and wisdom.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Looking for wisdom

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 04, 2010 10:39 pm

I thought I'd bump up your post, so those with high schoolers who are on the boards so seldom will find it. I have taught high school before, but MFW wasn't around. I'm now about to begin 9th grade with my youngest using MFW, and I'm SO looking forward to an already planned program that still includes the things that are important to me.

You can indeed combine your 12, 11, and 8 yos, plus your little 2yos can join in on some of the fun things. I like beginning MFW with ECC, and then the next year jumping into history wherever you were at, but some folks skip ECC and it seems to work for them. I am wondering if you're doing world history or "middle history" this year? Will you end this year around the era of world exploration?

As for the high schooler, I do think there's some benefit in letting them complete their own chronological cycle during their high school years. In preparing them for college and for generally facing the world on their own in the near future, I think it benefits them to examine the entire Christian story from start to finish on their own time. I, myself, also had a goal that my homeschooled kids read the entire Bible before graduating, and MFW will help me accomplish this (my middle dd was close, but I was so unstructured, kept going on so many rabbit trails to find out more about various things). Other skills besides Bible will build more naturally when you start at the beginning, such as writing skills, which are so important. It would seem kind of like taking calculus before algebra to mix it up too much.

However, I"m also one who thinks "all things are possible" and you may be able to adapt high school year 3 for a younger student, if you're willing to do a little legwork. Have you looked at the books used in MFW year 3 to see how well your student would be prepared for these? Several are mentioned here: http://www.mfwbooks.com/highschool-us1.html

Well, I really hope someone who's piloted year 3 will have a little more to say, but since not many are on the boards, you might want to call & talk with a new rep who has different kids in the program.

Best wishes in your effort to do what's best for your kids,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

DS4home

Re: Looking for wisdom

Unread post by DS4home » Wed May 05, 2010 10:13 am

I hear your desire to keep them all together as much as possible. I originally had those same thoughts. MFW is awsome at keeping the family together. Once the little ones have gotten through K and 1st, they are all kept together until high school - that's a lot of years of fun learning together! When my oldest was entering 9th grade, I still had that desire to keep her with us, in the same time frame of history. I just couldn't imagine it any other way !! And it just happened to work out for us that we did start the year in the same place - youngers in CTG and oldest in AH.

I found out that year that high school really is treated quite differently. They really take on the bulk of learning themselves. As she read through her books, I didn't neccessarily know exactly where she was in history every day. I checked her work a couple times a week and it was scheduled in to meet together once a week for discussions. I found as the year went on that her high school text, although beginning with creation, went at a different pace and highlighted different things than what I and the younger ones were learning through our curriculum. And it actually didn't affect us, it was OK that she was in a slightly different place !! :-) I never thought it would be OK until I lived through it ;) At the high school level their learning takes on such independence, and that is a good thing. Now I did have my high schooler do the memory work with all of us, just my preference, to still include her with the family a bit. She also listened to our read alouds - because we do those at night, so it didn't take her away from her other studies.

Now my second dd is in 9th grade this year and she is in a completely different time period from the rest of us! We are finishing up the last year of the MFW rotation (1850-Mod) and she is in Ancients. And it really doesn't matter, it's OK !! She is doing great working through her books, and we are plugging away at ours, and we still all live under one roof! I'm being silly here, don't take me wrong, I'm really just talking to myself in amazement because I never thought I'd be saying such things! LOL! So my thoughts after this long post is simply this, do the year that fits best for your family with the youngers and let the high schooler begin their high school journey. It will work out and we will be here to support you along the way :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Thinking ahead through the multi-age family cycle...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:32 pm

2girls2boysnme wrote:I realize that if I don't skip adventures, my kids will be studying different time periods. Is this a problem, or would my life be easier if they lined up?

We are planning to use MFW for the first time this coming school year, and my kids will be starting with ECC (2nd and 8th). I then planned to do Adventures with my younger daughter, while my older daughter moved on to AHL for 9th grade. All was well in my little world. And then it dawned on me...if I do that, they will never be in the same time period. The younger will always be a year behind in the cycle of studying the world/u.s. Does that make sense? Now I'm back to wanting to get Adventures now, and make the most of it after school and for the summer, and for fun times whenever the youngers want something to do...
I'm guessing you are trying to match up the middle cycle and the high school cycle?

CTG -- AHL
RTR -- WHL
EX1850 -- US1
1850MOD - US2

Is that what your concern is?

If so, I'm not sure it's as close a match as it might appear. I mean, WHL goes all the way through the world wars. US1 only spends half the year on history, because half is a government study.

I suppose you could try to match it up. But if things don't match up at my house, and my son is studying the Africa topics in parts because his book club put him off schedule in literature, then I just call it "review" ;) I think review is good for my son. So if your older student went on a field trip to an early American historic site during US2, then he would just be reviewing US1, and so on :)
2girls2boysnme wrote:Yes, Julie, that is exactly what I am saying. I guess if it is not that big if a deal then I won't worry about it. But I just thought it would be easier to keep everyone in the same general time period.

My other concern, which should probably carry more weight, is where my son will fit in as he joins the cycle. He is only 3 (4 in December this school year), so I was planning on waiting to start mfwk til 2013/2014, that is when high school starts for oldest, and adventures would be a bit of a load off, as well as something he could follow along with. Then he would jump in to the cycle on us history...?
The job of a new schooler is to learn to read and do some early math. Hopefully a little character or Bible lesson is wrapped in there. The rest is just gravy. So often a little K/1st grader will spend most of his subjects with the rest of his family. Some families are able to do the entire K/1st grade program with the littles, to give them their own special time each day, but others pare it down in different ways so that the family is only doing one science, art, etc. Each child, though, will work on math & LA at their own level.

Does that help?
Julie

BHelf

Re: Thinking ahead through the multi-age family cycle...

Unread post by BHelf » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Oh, I misunderstood the question. ;)

Your 3 year old will remember bits and pieces of the years your other child is doing if he is around during school time. (Sometimes I tried to do school while little ones napped so they might not be there.) You could try to include him in some of the read alouds, songs, games, crafts, projects, etc as he wants. Then it won't seem so much like he is just jumping into history in the middle or whatnot.

Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Julie in MN

Re: Thinking ahead through the multi-age family cycle...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:49 pm

Hi Brooke,
Your contribution as a mom who's taught those little rising students is priceless, I'm so glad you could add that :)
Julie