Foreign Language Enrichment

dhudson

Foreign Language Enrichment

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Remember to check at your library for Spanish resources. I have had my kids read and listen to spanish that we borrowed from the library.

My oldest (now in 7th) completed the entire Rosetta Stone Spanish a year ago without the worksheets and tests. We have gone to Juarez twice as a family missions trip and he was able to translate for me as well as speak in Spanish. He understands more than he speaks but that might be because he was shy. Anyway, he received several compliments from the Spanish translators on his accent and his knowledge base. He will go through them again in 9th as he is doing Latin now. I have used other programs and am pleased at all my kids knowledge as is my husband who speaks it fairly well. Finding someone your child can talk to in spanish or even be immersed in spanish only is very helpful in the learning process.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

BHelf

Rosetta Stone Spanish

Unread post by BHelf » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:17 am

Just about all of our movies have an option to watch them in spanish. It's not just subtitles...it's all in spanish!! My kids do this quite often just because they like to hear it in a different language! But I know a lot of kids in eastern europe who have learned english by watching movies in english, so I'm sure that watching them in spanish would be very helpful!!
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Lisa M

Spanish supplemental material

Unread post by Lisa M » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:06 pm

I have been a slacker in finding supplemental resources for my children who are doing Rosetta Stone. I have my 10yo in Level 1, and my 13 and 15 yos are in Level 2. We have checked our DVD's for Spanish but only have one. So I went to my library website to see about ordering some Spanish materials.

I am so excited! After finally taking the time to explore their resources, I found they have something called "Tumblebooks" under the kids section. Your libraries may have similar resources (ours is a tiny rural district). There are hundreds of online animated books, and you can sort out the Spanish titles. I have given my kids the assignment of 1 time weekly, choosing a Spanish book to watch, pause the screen at each page and jot down the rough translation, then choose the English book afterward and see how close they are. I figure it will take over 100 weeks for them to run out of this resource:-)
DD 8 yrs homeschool; Junior in PS
DD 2017 10 years homeschool; graduated 2 of 70
DS 2015 Homeschool Graduate; Four year college tuition scholarship
DD 2013 Valedictorian of tiny PS; 10 years home school

cbollin

Re: Spanish supplemental material

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:09 am

other ideas for RS: what about Biblegateway.com and use a Spanish translation of the the Bible? There are several Spanish versions to read, and one is even in audio
http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/

and we ended up listening to some online radio stuff (we're doing Russian -- so it's not easy to find library resources)
http://multilingualbooks.com/online-radio.html

-crystal

Teresa in TX

RS Spanish update...cool "field trip"

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:48 am

After reading some stuff here about how to make RS work, I prayed that God would open some doors for us for more cultural experiences, conversations, etc. Since then, the kids have watched a few dvds in Spanish to add to what their studies, but not much else.

Our Hispanic neighbor came over last night and said that she and another Hispanic friend are spending the whole day today making homemade tamales, that it is a LOT of work, and she thought maybe my dc would like to come over and be involved with it since they are learning Spanish, etc., and because it would be a help to them! This neighbor speaks fluent Spanish as well. So my kids get to go on a "field trip" without me doing anything, and are having a very cultural experience (not to mention bringing home tamales). They are going to come home today and write a paper about it.

Oh, and cooler thing than that, even: Dd said she wants to pay close attention to what she learns and take that knowledge of learning to make good, authentic tamales then get her group of girls that she serves at the pregnancy center with and possibly make a bunch of them and sell them to raise $$ for the pregnancy center. This could be a double blessing. I'm praying that it works out well for both endeavors. I'm always amazed at what God brings about when I just pray about it...and it is often things that I don't even have to lift a finger to make happen!! Even better!! ;)
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

mfwstudent

Rosetta Stone -- quick story, testimony

Unread post by mfwstudent » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:48 am

Since I am learning Russian, it is hard to find children's book on audio at my library. I also use the free audio Bible on the website, Faith Comes by Hearing.
http://www.faithcomesbyhearing.com/amba ... e-download

and then I can read the text from Biblegateway dot com while listening to stream from Faith Comes by Hearing.

Julie in MN

High School Rosetta Stone French

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:29 pm

courthart246 wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:22 pm
My son took French through a class/private tutor his first two years of high school, but that teacher is no longer available to us. Since he has already had 2 years of French using a different curriculum, where would I start him in Rosetta Stone? I have Levels 1-3. I want this to be able to count for High School credit on his transcript.
Normally, level 3 will be for the 3rd year of a language. The one problem with coming in from another program will be the vocabulary. Each program emphasizes a particular group of vocab words that are used for the various sentences and such as you move forward.

As for the rest, I found in teaching high school languages that the basic sequence for understanding the language and its grammar are pretty consistent from program to program. My daughter went in and out of the public school class without a problem.

If you feel he is doing well with the language, I might just go ahead with level 3 an have him make vocab cards for any new words and find their definitions. Another option would be to contact Rosetta Stone directly or to ask at the MFW office to see if any families there have direct experience.

Hoping others chime in as well!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs