* Experiences - MFW High School

gressman9

MFW for high school.....anyone?

Unread post by gressman9 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:29 pm

Tracy in TN wrote:Has anyone used MFW or high school? I was just wondering how you liked it. Pros and cons?
Thanks,
Tracy
We are using the highschool ancients and love it!

Carylee
mom2seven

DS4home

Re: MFW for high school.....anyone?

Unread post by DS4home » Fri May 01, 2009 12:03 am

We piloted the first high school year here. It is a rigerous, college prep, high school course. It's a year full of reading some good literature, with reading through the Bible at the top of that list !! The extra things that Marie has added into the Bible portion of the schedule are great! The writing was a stretch for my dd, but it was good for her ;) kwim? We enjoyed the Apologia Biology that year as well, along with Rosetta Stone Spanish. I'm trying to recall what else we used that year. My dd is finishing her junior year now, so its been a couple of years. I do really like the Notgrass text that they use for part of the history spine. It's not boring to read, and the daily lessons aren't so long that you don't have time for anything else.
Is there a specific question you are wondering about or does this cover it? High school can be a little intimidating when you are on the front end of it, but MFW makes it very doable! It's like having a big sister/brother holding your hand and walking you through it, step by step. :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Fri May 01, 2009 7:42 am

Tracy in TN wrote:Carylee and Dawn, thank you so much for answering my post.
Could you share with me what a day looks like at your house with the high school ancients?
Do you feel like your kids will be well prepared for college?
I will have two kids using this in the fall, do you have any suggestions about having two in the same program?
Neither of the are strong writers, do you feel like this will be a problem? We've been somewhat relaxed around here with school and do not feel like that is bearing fruit.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
BTW, i will have two 11 year olds and a 13 yearl old in the ECC program.
Thanks,
tracy
As far as writing goes, MFW recommends the student complete WS 4 before HS. You can do Applications of Grammar freshman year if you have not finished it before then. We haven't spent a lot of time on writing either. My daughter will do Ancients in the Fall. I plan to have her finish WS 4 and AOG before she starts the HS program. I don't want her to have any extra work.

I have the curriculum at home now and have looked through it several times. It looks great and is more than adequate prep for college. The Lit. and Comp. guide seems to be very well done. You would probably benefit from looking at this to see what kind of writing will be done. Of course not all high schoolers will be starting the year at the same writing level and some will need more assistance than others. You could always spend summer time doing a crash course in Writing Strands or Excellence in Writing.

You might want to find out from someone who's been there or the MFW office, which books you need duplicates for. I'm sure you'll need doubles of a few things and a good sharing schedule between the two kids.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

gressman9

Unread post by gressman9 » Fri May 01, 2009 11:57 pm

First of all, you need to know that we have a really hectic household. We have 7 children. My oldest ds was doing Abeka dvd school this year as MFW didn't have what he needed to study yet this year. My 14 yr old dd did Ancients, I had an advanced 7yr old and an 11 year old doing ECC, a 6 year old doing K, a 4 yr old, and a 1 year old running around. My 14 year old has done her MFW highschool almost completly on her own. We rarely have the weekly meeting, though I will occasionally talk about the books with her while we are doing dishes, etc. She has a problem with me reading what she writes in the Bible study book. She likes to keep those kind of things personal.

Is she preparing for college? Absolutely. First of all, she is learning to follow a schedule and work on her own. Second of all, she is reading the Illiad and the Oddessy! As much as she hated one of them...she has learned sooo much. The writing portion of mfw highschool is amazing for the most part. My daughter is a natural writer, but mfw has still stretched her. She is doing so much more than I remember doing in highschool.

She usually starts her day around 8 or 9am and is done by 2pm. This includes the core mfw highschool curriculum, chinese rosetta stone,ACE math, apologia biology and SOS health. We just switched her to Saxon Algebra...that might add a little time to her day. I really do very little with her other than make sure she is following her schedule. We can't wait to do the next year!

Carylee
mom2seven

tiffany

AHL first week report

Unread post by tiffany » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:16 am

My daughter has started AHL this week- one week ahead of her younger siblings, as advised in the manual. It has been fun to sit with her and help get started. She has been so disciplined, even about wanting to keep her room as neat and tidy as possible so she has a pleasant work environment. It almost seems like the start of the week has brought on some maturity in her that I am very pleased to see.

According to her, AHL seems less overwhelming than she thought it would be. I am impressed with the Lit. component the first week. With my tutoring on her argumentative essay and the instruction in the book, I think she may learn more this week than I did in high school, and I was in Honor's English! The private instruction really makes all the difference in that subject. Writing is such a complex subject to grasp.

She is listening and following along with the Bible readings. I'm so glad we got the recommended CDs. I think that is going to be really helpful. Her Dad and I are trying to keep up with the Bible schedule. It is going to be more challenging for us. This first week we are trying to listen to the CDs while I put the 2 year old to bed. By the time he is asleep we are both too tired for reading or listening. I can't wait until she reads The Purpose Driven Life. I expect it to have a major impact. She loves Ancient History, especially anything Egyptian, so this should be a great year for her with that subject.

Also, a tip a got from an MFW worker- Copy the timeline figures on full sheet labels. Find them in white, they are cheaper than clear or neon, and easier to color in. I didn't even know full sheet labels existed, and I wouldn't have thought of using them this way. I am pretty excited about that!

I am looking forward to seeing the year unfold!
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World

Teresa in TX

Re: AHL first week report

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:59 am

This is our second week. I think dd has been pleasantly surprised also that it isn't as time consuming as she thought it would be. She's doing the reading herself.

I was told by my English teachers that I was a great writer but found out I really wasn't that great when I went to college. ;) I think I had a lot of creativity without good borders and guidelines to work within. I can see how these guidelines would have been helpful for me back then. I also very much appreciated the guide in the tm that showed how to evaluate the writing and how to give corrective comments. I went in a little nervous about grading and evaluating but now think I did a fairly good job with it without picking at every little thing. I think the guidelines in the tm enabled me to help her with the paper and evaluate it in a way that will assist her next time.

The only negative I have is that I really miss having her in our regular homeschool routine. :( I think she is thriving on the peace and quiet she gets in her room, though. ;) At this point I've only had her doing AHL, Biology, and Fallacy Detective. Next week we'll throw in Geometry. I still have to order Rosetta Stone. I really think this is going to help get her ready to handle her own schedule and assist in maturity and responsibility so she'll be ready for college. I've given her the freedom to make her own schedule this year, just so long as everything is accomplished. She likes that a lot!!!

Positive update/high school

Postby Teresa in TX » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:00 pm
A few weeks ago, I posted concerns I had about my social high school dd. Getting myself used to doing the AHL program and my less hands-on time with her has been a little difficult, but we are now 3 weeks into it and it is going well. She comes out and sits with us while she does her work so I don't miss her as bad as I was. ;) She has taken the initiative to gather a few homeschool girls and organize a volunteer situation for them at the local pregnancy center twice per month. I gave her the ball and let her create her own schedule. She has done it beautifully. I'm very proud of her!! She has scheduled in chores, running, piano practice, and for her to take time to work on learning the guitar each day (something she has wanted to learn). As much as I kind of liked to be in "control" of her (wow, I hate to admit that), her owning her own schedule and her volunteer work has been such a blessing. I see that God turned this into a great thing. She is able to manage the schedule without just killing herself. I'm just very excited and see that there is something about the MFW set-up for high school that teaches them to be responsible and take ownership of it all. Thanks for the prayers!!
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

DS4home

MFW High School?

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:15 pm

racegirl wrote:I am considering MWF for high school for dd12, who is now seventh grade and doing SL Core 7. I prefer the content of what I've seen of MFW. Can anyone comment on their opinions of high school? Year 1 samples look very good, with a Biblical worldview. I like that it is written to the student and can be done independently. Any information/opinions would be appreciated.

Blessings,
Lisa
I have a Freshman dd this year doing Ancients. We are reusing the pilot version that my oldest dd did a few years ago. It is a well thought out curriculum. I think you will appreciate the academic side as well as the worldview. They do some nice projects throughout the year and read a lot of the classics! The independent nature of the schedule is super easy for the kids to use - they know exactly what to do each day and check the box when they're done.

I'm not very good at explaining the program overall, if you have specific questions it might be easier to answer. But overall, I think it's a great program and you won't go wrong using MFW! :-)

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

LA in Baltimore

Re: MFW High School?

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:40 pm

We are using AHL this year and are very pleased.
Reading through the entire Bible before our children finished high school was a high priority for us and having it incorporated right into the curriculum is wonderful. I haven't found another program that does that.
Of course, we could have added it on, but a great idea can turn ugly very quickly when you start "adding" too many extras into a high schooler's course load! ;)

MFW AHL is very thorough, Biblical, and thought-provoking. I really love that the work is not just read and repeat type activities. The books chosen really complement one another.

The Purpose Driven Life (AHL), The Fallacy Detective(Intro to Logic), and Money, Possessions, and Eternity (Personal Finance) are all examples of great books that have made our oldest think outside the usual school box! :-)
We are using AHL with a 12th grader and still feel that the books, assignments, etc are all grade level appropriate.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

tiffany

Unread post by tiffany » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:42 am

We are using the 1st year of the HS program this year, and I am so pleased. My daughter has done great working independently. I'm so proud of her! The program seems to be set up very well. I have also been pleased with the quality of her work. I was afraid some of it might be too difficult, but it seems to be just the right amount of stretching (intellectually) for her.

It has been wonderful for me as well, to let her learn on her own. Her being the oldest, and me still having the bulk of my family to teach, it has definitely lessened the teaching load for me. Which is wonderful! I'm so glad MfW decided to continue on in High School. Not sure what we would have done.

Not a lot of details, I know. But we are extremely happy customers!
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:47 am

tiffany wrote:I'm so glad MfW decided to continue on in High School. Not sure what we would have done.
yep. That's what I keep saying too.

Thank you Marie and David.

-crystal

LA in Baltimore

MFW High School reviews?

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:20 pm

Sue G in PA wrote:I'm looking at year 1...Ancient History. Could anyone give a thorough review? Thanks!
I put a short review on another thread. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 727#p58914
There is at least one longer review there.

One reason why high schoolers aren't on the board as much:
Even though it seems impossible some days to teach school with lots of babies and preschoolers, I actually found my time MORE consumed when I had 4 full time students and no babies or preschoolers. Adding high school (even though they are very independent) adds a new dimension to your day as well as the out of home activity level increasing - p/t jobs, service opportunities, classes, etc.

A short answer to your question is...
MFW high school is great!
We finished AHL this year and DEFINITELY would have continued on to WHL.
We didn't just because my AHL is off to college (Lord Willing) this fall!
Anyone who gives their child a MFW High School Education will not regret it!

You need to be mentally prepared for Ancient Literature and History.
The readings are very interesting, but not always an "easy read".
MFW does a fantastic job of walking you and your student through each part of it.
The LM (TM for student) is very thorough and clear.
Allow 1 hour per subject at this level.
If you have a quick reader, it will be shorter.
The Notgrass history is the best history resource we have used in 12 years of homeschooling.

I have also used a few of the electives as well:
Introduction to Logic. I loved the books and my student learned a lot.
Personal Finance. Great way to align our hearts with God's when it comes to our 'talents'.

Praying others will join in as time allows.

Happy Easter!
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

Sue G in PA

Re: MFW High School reviews?

Unread post by Sue G in PA » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:01 pm

Thank you all so much for taking the time to share. I am simply not prepared for high school as I thought dd would just continue in ps. That was the plan anyway until she asked to come back home, much to my surprise and joy! I will check out the other sections, too. Thank you!

Teresa in TX

High school...it's a good thing!!

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:29 am

I want to offer a thumbs up on AHL and MFW high school for us so far. I am very proud of dd but mostly just blown away by how faithful God is!!! I'm not wanting to brag in this but I really want people with younger dc to see how faithful God is!!! I started praying for my kids early on, that they would know Him!! I questioned my ability to ever do anything to make that happen...I had so many of my own issues and could see how other people could do well at this but not me. This year, my dd has grown so very much that I am amazed!! She's getting so much from her Daniel study and is making a lot of connects to the world around her. AHL has been a huge key to all of this. She is learning to serve because of the emphasis on serving. She chooses to read her Bible in her free time now because she has learned to love it through reading through the OT.

This year, dd has:
*Started a group of girls volunteering at the local pregnancy center, which has blossomed from the service portion of MFW. She and the group have become so valuable to them that they called dd 2 months ago and asked her for help and to round up as many youths as she could to help them move to their new building. Dd and her friends got about 12 kids together and got busy!!!
*Is teaching Good News Club twice a month at a local elementary school.
*Is sharing Christ with the neighborhood children. I caught her sitting in a circle with them on the back porch last Sunday reading the Bible to them and praying with them. It is 4 little girls, ages 6 to 9.
*Has joined a Bible study with 9 other homeschool girls and they are studying about purity and setting themselves apart for God. She has chosen, of her own choice, to make a vow to stay pure. We're buying her ring today.

Those are just a few things. They are all spiritual things but that's really what I wanted most of all!!! There's a lot more I could say about the academics. The Iliad and the Odyssey have been great for her. They were mountains to me before and now that she's almost done, she's learned a lot and often makes reference to something in them. Her writing and thinking skills have improved dramatically this year. She's putting together an argumentative paper (from 2 weeks ago...we could work on getting things done on time...definitely need to improve ;) ) about the Iliad and I can just see, from what she has said so far about it, how much more able she is to put together a good argument for a topic than she was at the beginning.

I just wanted to offer those things as an encouragement that MFW just keeps getting better and encourage people to keep praying for your children. Even though I've messed up so often I couldn't count, I see God is faithful to my prayers!!

Postby Teresa in TX » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 am
I realized after writing that that it was good for me to do. I walked away thinking about how faithful God is and it really hit me in the face that THIS was the year I felt less capable than any year prior. My pregnancy had me feeling weary. I felt further from the Lord throughout most of that time than I was before. I was just tired and weary!! Things are better now, but I realized I can look back and see how God took over and filled in the gaps for all my dc!!!

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

Teresa in TX

Re: High school...it's a good thing!!

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:12 am

cbollin wrote:What I'm still thinking "wow" on --- remember how in August you were nervous that she maybe should go to public school this year? remember that? you wrote that you were looking for encouragement and prayer because "Her social side is pulling her to experience the high school world. We don't feel led to give in to this, but I want to know how others have dealt with this when it has come up. "
I do remember how nervous I was at the beginning of the school year. It's so funny to think back on that!! I cannot keep up with the social stuff at this point. I had no idea we'd get more social than I bargained for by asking God. ;) I have to say "no" more than not because God has been so faithful with homeschool friends, positive activities, etc. this year. And there I was, all worried!!!

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds

joy2BAMom

Re: High school...it's a good thing!!

Unread post by joy2BAMom » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:03 pm

Loved hearing your experience. I have a few friends irl who have high schoolers and I love to have a glimpse into the future, so to speak! What an amazing time that will be to see our little ones stepping closer and closer to adulthood. How exciting!
Sherrie- wife to Jay for 10 years
Mom to 10 yo boy, 7 yo girl, 3 yo girl, and new baby on the way (due April Fool's Day 2011)

MLMB

Longing for a High School Thread!

Unread post by MLMB » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:56 pm

Merry wrote:It's a month and a half until I see this in person at a convention, but here I am, hoping every day for more high school threads, LOL! Can someone post something just to make me drool a bit?! Some growth you saw in your child, a favorite book from one of the high school programs, a great discussion you had...I'm not picky! Pretty Please? Merry :-)
Merry,

I have 2 boys doing AHL this year, one is a wiz kid the other I was really concerned about :-)
MFW has blown away all my expectations on what my boys are able to do.
Right now we are on week 22 and they are reading "The Illiad", I started this book with fear and trembling, there was no need , they are loving it.
The lesson plan holds their hand just enough, they "get" it, we have had some lively discussions comparing the characters in "The Illiad" with Bible heros.
What I am trying to say is it is working, we used another literature based curriculum, but had to drop it because I did not agree with their book selections in high school. We love MFW AHL and we are having the best year ever!!!!!!
Mary , mom of seven
T-32, P-29, B-27, J-16, I-15, S-15, A-13
Homeschooler since 1988
Currently using AHL & WHL

mfwstudent

Re: Longing for a High School Thread!

Unread post by mfwstudent » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm

I’m loving AHL. :D And I think it is really cool how stuff at Church is coinciding with stuff in school. :) One example of that I remember is the Gilgamesh/Job essay. A week or two before that assignment, the sermon at church was on Hebrews 8 and talking about how Jesus is our High Priest. Well, I read the last chapter of Job, which describes Job being tasked with something similar to a job of a Priest (handling the sacrifices) and a duty of the High Priest (praying for atonement). One of the options for the Gilgamesh/Job essay was “Job as a model of Christ”. I did that one and based two paragraphs on it.

I’m in week 25 now and I finished up PDL last week. I’m going on a missions trip to Mexico in June. And PDL was talking about being “Kingdom centered” and “global minded” and that one of the best ways to change your attitude is to go on a short term missions trip to another country.

And as for AHL on its own without the parallels in my own life? That’s awesome! I love how Mrs. Hazell has us reading the entire Old Testament. And she does it in chronological order, too. So we jump around as needed to connect a prophet book with the right King. We read a bit in 2 Kings, then one or more Prophets’ books, then a bit more in 2 Kings, then more Prophets…

And I like the readings for English. Well, everything except last parts of The Iliad. It’s not that I can’t read it or that I’m not following it, it’s just that I’m not into all the very thorough detailed descriptions of the fights. I like the chapters and parts of chapters where they’re talking, though. :)

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi Merry,
Another AHL family here! I have a "waaay youngest son" and admit I was a little worried about MFW high school standards for this particular child (wouldn't have worried about the older 2). David Hazell reassured me that I must have some trust based on using many years of MFW, eh, so I jumped in :-)

A few favorites?

#1 The Bible. We are doing most of that as a family, and it's such a blessing -- and really for us, a big accomplishment. Right now, we're starting the prophets, which is always where I get hung up on my own. Yet the prophets are introduced just where they were sent chronologically, and often there is some connection or bit of info that makes them jump out at us. Today we read the short Book of Joel, and I just knew some of those quotes... I jumped over to find where Peter quoted Joel at the Pentecost... How fun to discuss as a family!

#2 The New Answers Book. My ds said he was wondering about how science fit with his faith & now he knows it can! He had never shared these thoughts with us, so I was pleased it was here at just the right time for him. The chapters are long, so I read them aloud and we also watched the vignettes for some chapters on the video that I bought extra. Ds was interested in it all. Because we live in a heavily old earth area, including family whom we love, we had a lot of discussions about how some things could be wrong in either camp, but there is much more to the conversation than most students get the opportunity to explore. Most of all, he was encouraged that these authors were confident that science does not disprove our faith. I got a copy of this book for my sister for Christmas, and she passed it on to a cousin...

#3 Purpose Driven Life. Surprise, my son likes this and doesn't even want to use the audiobook version I got him, but just wants to go to his room and read it. He finds it really relates to *now* and trying to make Christian choices in how he lives his life. Today he said the topic was "heavy."

#4 The AHL manual. We started out 9th grade not all that differently than we ended 8th -- we did a lot of things together, I read longer books aloud, we listened to some things on audio, did Bible as a family. Then in December/January, I needed my son to work almost completely on his own. Lo and behold, he did! I didn't even have time to write out a list on the marker board, as was our previous habit, but had to just rely on the AHL manual. I put a big stickie arrow pointing to the day and wrote, "This is your day ♥ ." Since then, he's been raving about doing things on his own, doing them faster, not minding working ahead... A manual that can work for parent OR child -- genius!

Thanks for starting the thread. I love hearing from other high schoolers, too :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:34 am

Merry wrote:thanks and bumping...anyone else? Enjoying the responses!
my turn. I let my oldest answer. (she's mfwstudent).

I'm thankful that I followed God's leading to continue to use MFW in high school. I've seen my daughter really think and develop her own thoughts and feelings about Scripture so it becomes her worldview instead of just being my worldview.

I've seen her step up the plate and stay on syllabus with subjects. I don't have to keep up with everything she reads. MFW provides answer keys and guidelines. I feel like I am transitioning from being her teacher to being her mentor. I really like that.

I've seen her keep on reading schedule even when Iliad is not what she wants to read. I like hearing how excited she gets learning something cool in history. I really love watching how she talks back to TV shows on History Channel pointing out logic errors in their conclusions. (thank you MFW for recommending the Bluedorn's books for 9th grade use!)

I've watched her grow in writing. I was soooooooooo surprised that she was willing to write with a pencil or pen in a notebook to journal in her Bible readings, and answer questions in Notgrass.

I am very thankful that even though we CTG in 8th grade (because as a family that is where we were in family cycle), I did not skip over AHL in 9th. Starting at the beginning of high school at the beginning of high school really makes sense even if it reads weird on the screen. Don't skip based on titles of history programs.

-crystal

luvschoolin2

Unread post by luvschoolin2 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:16 pm

I'll jump in here too. We are using AHL with my son and he too love the New Answers book (it really is a great 'boy' book) and I even heard from him one day when I was trying to shorten the day and had decided to do the Notgrass questions orally a PROTEST from him! Yes---a protest---that he wanted to write out the answers on his own because he said it 'gave him a feeling of accomplishment'!!! From my son who ALWAYS asks to do things orally. Watching him read the Mythology readings and pick up the book to find the information to answer a question accurately...well...it's priceless. Admittedly, I still am in charge of the guide, but he can easily read it and follow if need be---he's just not there yet (and since he's my youngest, I'm not complaining ;) ). It's just so nice to use a program that foster's independence AND thinking and interaction with the reading. We too have those lit based programs, so I do add extra lit to his program when there is not a heavy book to read like the Mythology book. I am so, so happy that I jumped into MFW this year. The only regret I have is that I didn't have a program for my dd's last year at home :~
Katie, married to my best friend Brent for 19 years!!
Austin 15, using AHL.
Alexandra 18, using SL Core 400 and my Senior!

Tracey in ME

Thank you, MFW, for making high school grading easy!

Unread post by Tracey in ME » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:46 am

My 15yo daughter is in the process of finishing up 9th grade. I have been filing her papers and grading them. I am SO THANKFUL for the system that MFW devised at the beginning of the instruction manual (if that is what we call it?)! Grading her has been a cinch. Now to enter everything into TranscriptPro...I hope it works! ;)
- Tracey
Mother of six (16, 13, 9, 7, 4, and 15 months)
2006 - Present - My Father's World
2001-2005 Sonlight

Our blog: http://traceys-journal.blogspot.com/

dhudson

Started High School

Unread post by dhudson » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:15 am

We started High School yesterday. Shocking that I have a child in high school, I still think of myself as a parent of littles but apparently not. Anyway, the first day was great. I am so glad that MFW scheduled some time for me to sit and go over a few things with my son this week, it allows me to get over, "I am so going to miss you being with us". I am also glad that MFW recommends reading the Bible alongside our kids. I started early because I know I'll lag behind later. ;) I love when MFW helps me to not only be a better teacher but a better parent.

To all those coming behind, jump on in the water is fine. I know that the thought of home schooling a high schooler can be daunting, I have been planning this for two years so I wouldn't mess this up, but I am looking forward to learning and growing with my ds as he enters this next stage. The more I look at the MFW plans for high school, the more pleased I am. I am pleased that we will not only be preparing him academically but spiritually for the rest of his life.

Well, I have to go look for grey hair because I am apparently old enough to have a high school student.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Psalm 84

Finishing week 5 (AHL/CTG)

Unread post by Psalm 84 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:12 am

Hello MFW friends,
I wanted to say hello and even though it is a busy day I wanted to stop on over to the boards to introduce myself. I have to be brief because I am going to run errands today.

In November my two daughters (13 & 14 yr olds) started AHL and my youngest daughter began CTG. We are all on week 5. It was a slow transition process. We took 8 weeks to do 5 weeks on the schedule. Now we are keeping up with the weekly schedule. I was using Ambleside, Sonlight, Robinson curriculum in the past. I was designing my own curriculum. Sometime ago I picked up a MFW catalog and I couldn't explain this urging in my heart to do MFW AHL for my older girls. They are independent learners but I really wanted more accountablity, more Biblical teaching, and essay writing. One day as I was going to buy some books from another homeschool company, I had to stop because I did not have peace about the purchase. I felt a tugging to order at MFW instead of this other company and within 15 minutes I had ordered AHL & CTG (I had $ set aside for homeschooling and used it all up). I have read about others who feel peace about MWF. I can say that I have this peace now about our schooling. I really do believe that God lead me to MFW.
MFW so far has given us more self-discipline and we have been in the Word. My daughters are motivated each day with their assignment sheet and on our walks they are the ones talking to me about their Bible reading and History. They are excited in their studies, especially the writing assignments.
Julie in MN wrote:What fun to read about the evolving of your decisions and about how the transition worked at your house. I don't think folks often hear about the transition process... and the final result. And the final result you described was just my experience with MFW... lots of good things out there, but in the end, with MFW you realize you have learned a lot of academics but along the way have been in the Bible every.single.day.
I didn't post about CTG that we are using for my almost 11year daughter. I have to say that it is easy now for me to start school with her in the morning. The assignment sheet helped me to spend time each day with her in the Core subjects. While my older daughters are working on a self directed AHL, I can spend time working on my younger daughter's level. I have been homeschooling with a combination of read alouds and independent work, but now I feel balanced using MFW. I like that MFW gives me some flexibility to plan a tailored reading program and that there is a little room for me to plan. Though I like planning and designing our own homeschool program, I never had the contentment I have today using MFW. I feel that I can change a little here or there and tweak it without feeling like I need to ditch the entire program. For instance, I took out the Ken Ham book from AHL because while it is a great resource, my husband likes apologetics mere christianity style. But I don't feel like I need to completely redo our homeschool (like in the past if something wasn't working). The point is that I am content and peaceful. Thanks MFW each day when we do school...(and the leading of our Lord in the littlest and biggest details).

AquaDragonfly

SO Excited!!! (New MFW AHL user)

Unread post by AquaDragonfly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:21 pm

Just got our AHL today and I'm thrilled already!! My son took one look and he's dying to dig into the books (but I'm going to be mean and make him wait a bit - these are for the fall after all!). :-) I'm buying CTG for my daughter this fall from a friend also.

We're switching from [our previous literature-based program] and I'm so relieved because I think we'll just have so much more fun learning!

Have a blessed weekend!

Lori in NY

mlangley

Re: SO Excited!!! (New MFW AHL user)

Unread post by mlangley » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:47 pm

We will be starting AHL & CTG this fall too! I'm as bad as your son! I can't keep my nose out of the new books. I'm so excited!!
Grace Christian Homeschool

Using CTG & AHL with 3 children