Timeline - Users answer specific questions (AHL/WHL)

Julie in MN

Timeline - Users answer specific questions (AHL/WHL)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:21 pm

Time line figures for high school - WHL
Nicoleab2 wrote:I went to kinko's today to get the sticky backing on the time line figures. This was suggested by someone in the MFW office because it would be easier in the long run when working with the timeline book. Kinko's said I needed to get permission because the timeline figures have a copy right. I thought they were just going to put the sticky backing on the ones I had, but she said she would have to make a copy to put the backing on. Anyone else have a problem with this? Did you just use what you had and glue them in the book? Can we not make copies of the figures for our next child? Just wondering what you all did. I don't want to do anything illegal.

Thank-you~
Blessings--
I used these with my older dd in high school. I feel certain that my package said it was reproducible within the family. Maybe you could show that to Kinko's.

If Kinko's still won't cooperate, then you could copy them yourself. You'd just need to purchase the sticky paper from Kinko's or elsewhere. Then you can load it into their self-copy machines or into your own printer, making sure to face the sticky side in the correct direction.

Maybe someone else has more ideas?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Nicoleab2

Re: Time line figures for high school - WHL

Unread post by Nicoleab2 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Yes, it does say I can reproduce for my family. I didn't notice that.
I will try again at Kinko's.

Thank you all for helping me out! I love this board and everyone's willingness to help.
You are all a blessing!
Nicole

gressman9

Re: Time line figures for high school - WHL

Unread post by gressman9 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:05 am

If they still won't copy it you really can just purchase the sticky back paper and copy it yourself. I would think any art supply or office supply store would have it. I know Miller Pads and Paper does.

mom2seven

Julie in MN

High school timeline...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:52 am

Teresa in TX wrote:Does anyone else's high school age child complain about timeline? She likes everything else and is learning a lot...but that timeline is her nemesis! Does anyone have something they do with timeline, discuss or anything that makes it more than cutting and pasting. One of her failings is that she will do several of them at once when she is struggling to finish her other subjects.
I help my son with the "busywork" of it, and I think that helps. I did all the cutting back last summer & put the pieces listed into weekly envelopes. When it's time to do it, I also pull apart one corner of each piece to get him started on sticking it.

I've used that timeline with an older dd, and I just knew where I wanted my child to spend his time, so that's what I did. I know all families don't have a chance to help that much, although one year when I didn't have the time, my mother-in-law actually cut for us (the human body in RTR) :)

Who knows what our kids will get out of each activity we have them do? I just hope that working with his hands and working with the same ideas in different ways will bear fruit. It is possible to adapt. My older dd did several things with these timeline pieces -- placed them on a closet door timeline (wow, it was squished!), tried to sort them in order and stick them on pieces of paper chronologically (I whited out the dates), use them as memory flashcards. Your dd can be cheerful that she doesn't have me planning her work, but instead has Marie's fairly painless plan :~
Julie

4Truth

Re: High school timeline...

Unread post by 4Truth » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:27 am

My dd doesn't complain about it, but it's not her favorite thing to do, either. She has procrastinated and therefore ends up having to do a bunch at once, so that adds to her annoyance a bit, but that's her choice so she has to live with it. I guess she sees it sort of like loading the dishwasher... it's just something that needs to be done, and all the pieces go in certain places for a reason. And it's part of her grade.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Julie in MN

HELP NEEDED ASAP ON WHL TIME LINE BOOK PLACEMENTS

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:30 am

mcilvoy6 wrote:WE are on this lesson today and I just was wondering in the World History Timeline Book..I can't seem to find what the "titled lines" mean? It doesn't say what line to actually place the figures on?????????? Thanks!
I'm going to guess you are doing the Week 6 timeline assignment?

The instructions for week 6 say,
  • Be sure to read and think about all the information on the timeline pieces. This will help you decide on which line to place the figure.
Is that where you're getting stuck? Knowing which line to choose for each figure?

If so, it's not an exact art, I don't think. But the process of reading and thinking it thru is helpful in reviewing what the student has learned (vs. just mindlessly sticking each figure on). Most should become clear that way, as to whether the event or the person was in ancient Rome, the Bible, etc. A few of them get to overlapping, so feel free to ask on here about specific ones and we can share what we did at our respective houses, so your student has a few opinions to choose from :)

Julie

cbollin

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP ON WHL TIME LINE BOOK PLACEMENTS

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:56 pm

In addition to what we say.... it's ok to call MFW office on the phone and ask for any kind of help like this! been there, done that! it might be faster this time...

but one of the more common questions that my oldest has consulted me about this year "should this piece be on this part or that part? it could go either way?"

My answer has always been: you get to decide because I don't have an answer key and even if I did have one, I want to hear you thought process on it. Why would you put it on Church history, instead of Europe? Why did you select this vs. that?" I care more about the process in her thinking on some of the "hhmm not sure" pieces.

is that part of your question?
just making sure your timeline book has the color coding lines with the titles on them.

-crystal

mcilvoy6

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP ON WHL TIME LINE BOOK PLACEMENTS

Unread post by mcilvoy6 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:21 am

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Michelle

cbollin

Ancient History Timeline Book~what does it look like ins

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:51 pm

JOYFULFARMGIRL wrote:We have the Sonlight Book of Time and one from Simply Charlotte Mason. I wondered what the MFW timeline looks like inside as I'm trying to decide whether we need this added expense or not? Is it essentially like the others?
thanks so much!
JFG
in AHL and WHL, the books are in "horizontal" or landscape position as seen on pics on ordering pages.. Open up to 2 page spread with date ranges at the top, and color coordinated horitzontal lines that are for specific regions in the world when the timeline events occur, and/or categories like "event in art/science"

hmmm.... I just thought I'd glance at sl book of time.... seeing some blog, samples... uhm... I'd get the MFW one. My first thought before looking was... just use anything.. .but seeing the samples... use the MFW one for AHL and WHL mostly because of the space issues, and dates at top instead of in the middle of the page.. and the lines for where it belong in the world..

and the SCM pre printed century book... if you use the timeline pieces that are in AHL/WHL.... I really don't see it being easy to use those two items together. maybe I'm not looking at the right thing...
JOYFULFARMGIRL wrote:I forgot to ask...is the MFW one spriral bound and on card stock paper?
Thank you!
JFG
spiral bound.
the paper feels thicker than regular copy paper, but not cardstock thick

momxnine

Re: Ancient History Timeline Book~what does it look like ins

Unread post by momxnine » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:32 pm

I haven't seen the SL or the SCM timelines, but I have the one from Homeschool in the Woods, the place that does the timeline figures. I prefer the MFW one, even though it's a strange size and hard to find a place to put it. :) I like it so much that I ordered one for myself to do along with my boys (AHL & WHL). I've always wanted to do a timeline and since I liked how the lines are for the different regions, I went ahead and got the MFW one.
Blessings,
Vicki in SW MO.

Mom to 9, ages 10 - 31, Grammy to 4
Married 32 years, homeschooled for 25 years; 6 graduated, 3 to go

JOYFULFARMGIRL

Re: Ancient History Timeline Book~what does it look like ins

Unread post by JOYFULFARMGIRL » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks ladies! I like the idea of color coding for the region, so maybe we can do the MFW one. :)
JFG

TriciaMR

highschool timeline figures - WHL

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:25 pm

mommyto4 wrote:My ds will be using MFW WHL for 10th grade this coming school year. The package just arrived (yay!) and I have been looking through the teacher's guide.

One question ... why do I need to photocopy the timeline figures? Can't he just cut them out and glue them to the timeline? Thanks!
I photocopied ours onto sticker paper - to make it easier for dd (glue sometimes curls things). Or, if you're going to save the figures for future kids....
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog