Schedule - Timeframe for parent and student

Lucy
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:37 am

Schedule - Timeframe for parent and student

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:16 am

Teaching the high school program

Although you will need to spend the first week checking every day and then have a once a week meeting, you will not be "teaching" high school like you do the other 2 you will be doing. I will know more of how this works after a few weeks since we are preparing to get started next week.

Marie does suggest that you start the high schooler a week before the others so that you can get that one established.

The MFW high school curriculum has been carefully written and piloted so as to meet high school graduation and college entrance standards. They are for credit courses and much more in-depth than the elementary and jr. high materials.

I hope this helps you as you plan.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Lucy
Posts: 442
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:37 am

Schedule - How long do your hs children spend on academics?

Unread post by Lucy » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:37 pm

Jenn in NC wrote:I am still 3 solid years away from having a child in the high school program, so I really have no business posting on this thread -- but I read a lot of the high school threads just b/c I am interested in what you all think of it so far.

When we started with MFW there were no plans for a high school program (at least that I knew about), and I was a little concerned about what to do for my dc after 8th grade. So I am really excited that now there is a hs program! Irrelevant little tidbit about my life ;)

Anyway I am wondering if you ladies would mind sharing, how long do your hs age children spend on their academic work each day?
My daughter takes about 6.5-7 hours a day. This will be different for each child depending on how fast they read and how long it takes them to complete math each day or write a paper. The amount of time it takes will also be different for each student depending on electives that are taken. So some will take a little longer and some a bit less. One of the aspects of piloting the high school programs are how long it is taking students to complete the work. They are looking for an average time that will meet high school standards. Changes are made based on this information. There are a variety of kind of students among the pilot families so this helps to give a better picture.

As far as the amount of time it takes her to complete Bible, History, and Literature it takes her about 3 hours. Sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more. My daughter is also taking a science or health, math, and foreign lang. This does not include her outside music and art lessons and daily piano practice time as well as P.E. which is done at the gym and through participation on a drill team.

I hope this helps to answer your questions a little bit.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

cbollin

How much time will the high school program require of me?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:23 am

sandi wrote:How much time will the high school program require of me? I know that I will meet with him on Fridays. Do I have to read all of the weeks lessons in order to do this? Just looking ahead to next year.
thanks!
The first week, you will want to work a bit more alongside your child/young adult to guide them in making a schedule and sticking to it. You will need about 15 minutes a day to check daily work is being done and any help they might need.

There are answer keys so you don't have to keep up with the reading. There are notes in the manual that suggest you try with some of it, but it is not required. Depending on factors -- there might be some involved on parent to drive their child/"young adult who can't drive"....to whatever they do for service projects (but that will vary -- and they might do service in their neighborhood or church and not need you to drive them....) but that's some of the life commitment during these school years until they can drive themselves.

but for me it is all theory.... b/c box day was only yesterday...

looking forward to real answers.

-crystal

4Truth
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:59 am

Re: How much time will the high school program require of me

Unread post by 4Truth » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:26 am

Crystal's right, you spend more time with them during the first week than you do later on. Getting acclimated to the curriculum, the new schedule, etc. Student writes an Argumentative Paper during that first week and he'll need some help with that. Instructions in the Lit Supplement are very good. *I* learned a lot, too. ;)

There's a reading schedule in the back of the manual for the parent to read along in the Bible (Old Testament, obviously), and I think that's important. I'm trying to keep up with her, but she's a fast reader and in fact has read ahead on the Bible part. I'm kind of glad for the OT Challenge book because it slows her down long enough to chew on the material. We've had some great discussions from it.

Crystal mentioned about 15 minutes a day. That's pretty close, though I've not timed it. I'm always sort of "around" to discuss/answer questions as they come up, but it's not a like sit-down time, exactly. We have sit-down time once or twice a week. If you need help trying to find a sit-down time... what's working for us right now is that middle dd has an afternoon art class once a week, and it's a half hour from home so we stay in the neighborhood and have a 2-hour wait. We take 9th grader's books and sit down with them at McDonald's while the youngest one plays. When the weather clears up, we'll do it at the park instead of McD's.

Another place where I *tried* to be involved.... I started out reading Epic of Gilgamesh out loud to her because I was afraid she wasn't going to like it, and never having read Gilgamesh myself, I didn't know what the content was going to be like. Well, she latched onto it, fell in love with the story, and I didn't get to finish reading it out loud! 8[] She did tell me about it, though. ;) (Content was fine, btw. Some parts of it reminded us of the Proverbs, but it reads more like a story like Job. She enjoyed the poetry aspect of it, too.)

Anyway, that's more than what you asked. Bottom line is that once you get past Week 1, your involvement is fairly minimal. You'll need to be "around" to help get past places where he has questions, but for the most part, just plan on a weekly (or bi-weekly, as the need arises) time to sit down with him. Your time may be even less than mine, because my dd is the kind that likes to be "involved" and needs/wants a lot of interaction. That's just her personality. No, I don't read ahead the week's lessons. My dd reads and works faster than I do. :)

Oh, it might help to know that just like in the elementary programs (if you've used those), Fridays are lighter than the rest of the week.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

cbollin

high school program

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:You all are making me drool. We still have two years but every so often I come and stare at my computer screen, reading and rereading the high school page. :-)

I'm actually a bit nervous about teaching this but that's another thread ;)
MFW high school -- no big deal really.... there are lots of note for the kids to realize they are growing up and can do it "all by myself!" lots of helps/hints/solutions. it's good. enjoy the 7th and 8th grade years helping them to learn in books like Progeny Press guides, and saxon math, and/or apologia stuff and then the few other things in ahl they do on their own --- nice and gradual....

driver's ed on the other hand...... now that i'm nervous about. %|

- crystal

cbollin

High School Hours???

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:12 am

Missy OH wrote:So how long are your hs'ers spending on school a day? Could you also share what electives you are doing?

I have found that the times listed in MFW for AHL seem to be about right for us. So my ds is starting at 8:00 and ending at 4:00 with an hour lunch. My ds gets A's in math and we are working on Al. 2, but it definitely takes him more like an hour and a half. We are doing Logic and Health as our electives this semester. He is enjoying it, and when we talked about the hours, he mentioned he would someday need to work many hours so this was training for it.

It just seems like such a long day..... Maybe the time will shorten as he gets into the year and gets a routine going?? Just wondering what other's experiences have been.

Blessings,
Missy
That's a great way of seeing the long hours.

My oldest, 9th grade, probably spends about 6 hours a day, but not all at the same time. Some days it is longer with writing assignments. She gets easily distracted. She's only doing Logic for elective this semester, and doing Health next semester. She reads ahead in some books too.
Our day is broken up a bit, so she isn't doing school 6-7 hours straight. She has things to do (archery, church stuff, and on demand baby sitting/cooking in our house). some reading she does at night by her preference. Sometimes for biology, she waits until dad is home to do microscope stuff together.

I keep thinking our routines will change as the school year goes. We're hoping to work toward a more 7:30-1:00 schedule with her and then flex as we go. and ... I'm guessing by the end of 12thgrade we'll have it figured it :)

Kate (mfwstudent) is a fast worker so, she's definitely on the quick side of stuff. It's ok if it takes longer with your son. I can't wait to hear how it goes with Julie's son as he and my daughter are very different in school stuff. and Missy, there are the "non average days in the non average weeks" where mfwstudent drags school out for-ever! LOL but hey, she makes really good chicken soup, so it all balances out.
-crystal

mfwstudent

Re: High School Hours???

Unread post by mfwstudent » Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:37 am

Expanding a bit on what my Mom said….

It depends on the day. Note that I’m a fast reader and am good at Math and just a general geek. On an average day in an average week when I’ve not worked ahead at all, it takes me about 30-45 minutes for Bible, 20-30 minutes for Exploring World History (if it’s scheduled), 10-15 minutes for Encyclopedia of the Ancient World / Unwrapping the Pharaohs, 40-50 minutes on Math (Jacob’s), 10-15 minutes for Logic (I’ve used this book in earlier years). Science (Apologia Biology) usually takes 25-30 minutes for the reading, 5 minutes or less for the CD, and anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour for any experiments and the accompanying lab write ups. On average, it’s half an hour for Science. Note that in weeks 5-7, your student will be reading two chapters a day from The Cat of Bubastes. That takes me 45minutes to an hour (long chapters). All in all, that’s an average of 3-5 hours for me unless there’s a writing project. Writing is not my strength, and I usually spend 1-3 hours on writing. Timeline, when scheduled, takes ~30 minutes per page assigned.

However, sometimes I stay up late and do the next days Math and Bible. I spend 1-1.5 hours and usually get all of Math, OT Challenge, and Victor done. If Victor isn’t scheduled, I usually get all of Bible done. If I have a lot of reading (such as in weeks 2-3 when we’re reading the book of Job for English, or week 9 [planned] where we read Numbers in one week, or when we’re doing Iliad/Odyssey for English) I’ll just read instead. If I’m doing reading, I’ll get more done.

- MFW student

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: High School Hours???

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:47 pm

cbollin wrote: I can't wait to hear how it goes with Julie's son as he and my daughter are very different in school stuff
It will be interesting to compare this year. Oldest girl vs. youngest boy...

You guys are working everything out for me, right?

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

High School Scheduling - 4 days?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:15 am

cmp wrote:Is it possible to complete the Ancients high school work in a 4-day week?
We are part of a co-op one day a week and schedule most of our outside activities on that day as well.
I don't know because we aren't doing that.

Most of the high school plans do include lessons on Friday and are written in order to help achieve the time requirements of "high school credit". So, if you need to go longer on 4 days, it might work, or it might be tiring to get it all done. There is daily Bible reading. Math will usually have 5 days a week. Science will be some 4 days/week, others 5 days/week.

Fridays are time in the schedule to have conference time with student and go over work. It is a "lighter" schedule one day a week, but I wouldn't crunch it all in.

I do know this. My daughter in AHL still has time for ballet class once a week, and archery league and even a few others things. Sometimes she works ahead in some subjects and sometimes she has weekend homework to catch up in others.

not sure that helps. But welcome along.

Maybe a little bit more info on what needs to be done on the other day of the week in your situation could help to know if it would work well for your student?

-crystal

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: High School Scheduling

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:08 am

The big things that are scheduled on Friday are things that might be done on Saturday?
- Bible (have to do 5 days a week, or can't finish OT in one year)
- service project
- parent conference
- math (although the Jacob's geometry schedule has 4 day weeks alternating with 5 day weeks, I think? so that would help)
- science is probably similar to math, but varies according to whether you're still finishing Physical Science or moving on to Biology, etc
- some weeks do have something scheduled for history or literature, but rarely a full lesson


We use 5 days, but that's because ds has a few outside activities (only kid at home, needs to talk to someone other than mom!). I try to keep outside activities to afternoons, because my ds does better with 5 shorter days than 4 long days, and he does better with starting schoolwork in the morning rather than after we've been out.

So, if this is what you're wondering: outside activities do work with AHL for us.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Bret Welshymer

High School

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:24 am

mommywings2006 wrote:I tried MFW ECC in 7th grade and was very overwhelmed by how long it took us to complete a days work. I ended up selling it at after 1st semester (two years ago). Now I'm looking at high school and I'm on the loop to see if MFW high school is as intense as ECC time wise? I'm looking at options from different curriculums as we prepare for high school. Thanks!
MFW high school is a parent-guided, independent study program. Each year in the program is 3-full credits. For the student who reads at an average speed the program will take about three hours each day. When adding MFW recommendations for math, science, and foreign language (one credit each) for a total of 6 credits, the student who reads at an average speed will take about 6 hours a day to complete school. Faster readers will take less time and slower readers will take more time. Both of my kids who use/used these programs are faster readers and got done more quickly. A high school credit is on average, approximately, 150 hours of study in one subject area using high school level books. In order to complete a "full load" of high school work students need to realize school will take them about 6 hours each day. Great prep for college. My son spends a lot more than six hours a day completing his college course work.

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: High School

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:45 am

I have a son doing AHL. He's a way youngest child, only one left in the house (most of the time). It's kinda hard to compare the time from one year to the next because we each have different families, different numbers of kids, different strengths & weaknesses, different ideas of how much to do and not do... But I'll try.

We did ECC at the end of 8th and then AHL at the beginning of 9th. Both years, we followed a local public school's calendar and his school days are 8:30-2:30, including MFW's "light Fridays," with no real breaks but interspersing types of activities. Lunch is spent listening to me read things like Answers in Genesis, or watching related videos I add in, so it's a working lunch to some extent. We've been able to keep the same time frame in 9th as we did in 8th, although he did probably stop for showers and food and such more last year, and has more evening work to finish up this year. I've warned him to expect a real increase at some point or other in high school. He does have three afternoon activities on most weeks, so he finishes at 12:30 or 1:00 three days a week, but has more "homework" (isn't it all homework in homeschooling?!) on those days. I'd say that a lot of times he has math problems and a chapter to read in the evenings, but not always. Also, there's time in the schedule for a Friday service project but he rarely does that during school hours, so that is a spot where he can catch up on bigger projects (he's writing the Proverbs fables this week!).

At my house, I like 9th to be a transition year, so I am not pushing a lot of electives and I'm not pushing into high school science so much as encouraging a love of science. I am, however, pushing forward in math and foreign language. That means he has been doing the full 3 MFW credits, the full Geometry & French credits (both with MFW lesson plans), and a little more gentle move into science (still doing Apologia Physical Science & some other things) and other electives (lots of phy ed, a bit of computer sci).

I'll also add that we did a lot of 9th grade together, rather than a lot of independence as MFW suggests. Maybe because he's my youngest, or because he's lonely, or because he's a social kid, or because he still needs a parent's perspective, or just because I can, but I did not feel rushed into developing independence at 14-15 years old. However, these last two months, my son has been forced to be almost completely independent because of his father's medical situation, and lo-and-behold our baby has done well! MFW makes it really all so easy for him to see what needs to be done each day. He said he gets more done without me here :)

Does that help at all?
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

DS4home
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:32 pm

How many hours per day for high school

Unread post by DS4home » Fri May 20, 2011 7:54 pm

LSH in MS wrote:How long should AHL take including foreign language, the logic elective, SAT prep book, Geometry, and Biology?
I think on average you should plan on each core subject to take between 45-60 minutes each. I would estimate the Bible, History, and Lit in AHL to take around 3 hours total. Math and Science are also in that 45-60 min. range. The electives I'm not sure take as long, but we haven't done them so I'm not sure.
I hope that at least gives you a base line. It can vary per student depending on how slow or fast of a reader they are. I have one of each (slow and fast) and it really makes a difference in the length of their day overall.
Hopefully others will chime in on more exact times for you :)

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: How many hours per day for high school

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri May 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Dawn,
I think that sounds right, about an hour planned per, but with some leeway. Math especially often takes longer, if you include corrections & questions.

So my son's school hours this year were 8:30-2:30, and he usually tries to "do something" during lunch even. However, he had three afternoon activities a week, so that affected things I'm sure. He often was doing math problems and reading a chapter at night, but I imagine if he didn't have those activities and never went out-of-town and never played with his nephew etc etc, he wouldn't have had much homework.

Lucy also chimed in here: [above]

And Bret here: [also above]

And I remember one mom who thought her child was done too early!
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=9691
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Organizing your school day

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Smoakhouse wrote:I was just wondering how others organized their days.

I will have a kindergardener in a one full day enrichment program (Tuesday) and a sophomore with one tutorial class on Tuesday and one on Thursday. Entering High school has made it more necessary to complete more subjects on days when we have to leave home.
For my high schooler, I try really hard to have activities be towards the end of the day. That way, he can get a running start in the morning and get some bulk work done. I also try to have a sense of what works as "evening work" and what doesn't, so we get the things done in the morning that are unlikely to succeed on his own in the evening.

In the same way, I try to have a sense of what subjects must be done every day because my particular ds will have a meltdown if he has to make up two days of, for instance, geometry in one day. Even when he was in elementary, I knew that writing had to be done each day, even on busy days, because doing two days' worth of writing at once would never fly with him.

Some school work didn't bother him to squish together. But I also didn't want to squish so much of one thing that it goes in one ear and out the other. So I might have my high schooler "make up" a timeline assignment and a mapping assignment and a reading, but I wouldn't have him make up three days of reading from the same book in one day, just because I don't think he'd remember a thing.

Kinda jumbled, but that's how it works here :)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

MFW Ancients-high school ??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:24 am

4littlehearts wrote:For those who have or are using this, how long does this take including math and science? Thanks!
Our days get complicated, but I think maybe with 6 credits (including French) it would be 6 hours plus occasional "homework" (what's the word for homeschoolers who already do everything at home ?? !! ). I'd say that reading a chapter and/or doing math problems happened at least a couple of times a week in AHL and probably more in WHL with Algebra 2.

Just so you can see how it's not always easy to put a high schooler's schedule into hourly form, I'll show some of the things that my particular ds has to work around:

1. Weekly math team that's an important extra-curricular for us, but not a credit.
2. A boys' book club that we count as part of his "optional reading" credit, but then they do gym afterwards.
3. Weekly YMCA class and almost daily YMCA time (he likes to go during the day when it's less busy).
4. Monthly homeschool snowboarding days, again because it's such a delight when it's not busy. And he's earning 0.5 credit in phy ed through all of these.
5. Family trips take up maybe 4 weeks during the school year, and not a ton of school is done (though I had him do a bunch of this science and such in summer). There are also family visitors at our house sometimes, such as my oldest son who just left to go back to Colorado. Not to mention that we babysit grandson, who likes to play with Uncle Reid :) .
6. We follow a public school calendar and it does not have 180 days like the MFW lesson plans, so we don't get to use about 10 of the "light Fridays" that are on the schedule.
7. Dad is sick a lot, so sometimes mom is not here or not able to help when ds gets stuck, confused, or unmotivated.


MFW is still do-able for us, and even a blessing when I need to just open and go.
HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4Truth
Posts: 332
Joined: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:59 am

Re: MFW Ancients-high school ??

Unread post by 4Truth » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 am

5-6 hours including *everything*.

It would be about 3 hours (give or take) for just the AHL portion (three subjects)... and then time needed for math and science, too. This is pretty typical for a high school day. Any electives (which are optional/determined by individual student and family) would be in addition to the 5-6 hours of "core subjects". Didn't want to leave the impression that it's 5-6 hours JUST for AHL. ;)
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 9th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

AHL questions???

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:11 am

4littlehearts wrote:Does this have a 4 day schedule? Do you think it is possible to complete a week of this in 4 1/2 days? My dd will be gone one afternoon out of the week volunteering. Just wondering if this is doable...
If you scroll down to page 10 of this sample, I think you'll see what you are looking fore:
http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... sample.pdf
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4littlehearts
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:05 pm

Re: AHL questions???

Unread post by 4littlehearts » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Thanks! The link really does help. It seems very doable... :-)

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

US History to 1877 questions.... (US1)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 01, 2012 5:51 pm

ilovemy4kids wrote:For anyone who has used the US History to 1877 how long per day would you say it took your student? I am making our fall block schedules and it's driving me crazy. Not enough hours in the day. Are there any obsessive, super bored out of their mind planners who would be interested in looking at what I have and am trying to do and giving me some input? I made a word doc and it's not bad, I just think I might be not arranging things the best way.

ALL of MFW I would like to have the kids on the same block times for working. The separate courses are :

Biology for dd on Thursdays from 8:45 to 10:15 and French on M and W from 8:30 to 10:15. Must have 1hour each of study time on non class days.

DS has Advanced Biology on Tuesday from 12:15-1:45. Must have one hour study time on non class days During these times and days they MUST be in their online classes.

Other separate courses:
dd- Saxon alg, R&S English 8
ds -Saxon Adv Math, Portuguese 3 and computer game programming (but only one at a time - 1 per semester)
Both have piano practice for 30 min daily

So, I'd love to see what you come up with if you feel like playing with the above information. :)
The schedule I've worked up has them starting at 7:30 with ds finishing at 3:45 and dd not till 4:30
We'll be right there with you next year in US1, so my experience is based on AHL and WHL.

At my house, I guess each day is different, but in general I expect about an hour a day per class. Some usually take more and might be finished in the evening (math, English) and some usually take less (French, Biology, Bible), and History is probably right in the middle?

My son's school hours are 8:30 to 3 this year (8:30 to 2:30 last year didn't seem like quite enough), and he usually does something while he eats, so no real breaks in there. But he has some outside activities that he has to work around (phy ed class at 1:30 Tuesdays, and math team at 1-2:00 Wednesdays, book club around 12:30 Fridays). So he has to work around those, or do work in the evenings.

There are "light Fridays" in the manual. At our house, I cross off about 10 of those because we follow a public school calendar that is shorter than 36 weeks. Then the rest of them get eaten up by unfinished work or outside activities, so my ds's Fridays are just as long as the other days. My son does his service project in summer.

I consider a solid high school program to be 6 hours of concentrated effort, or of course longer if things are more casual or students are very slow. My son has friends in public school, and the good students do a TON of homework, especially by 11th grade. My son doesn't have anywhere CLOSE to the amount of homework that some of them have. And he has higher aspirations than some of his friends who are less good students, so he accepts he has more evening work than a few of them.

It's an adjustment but it is doable. I feel my son has had a nice balance of having some advantages as a homeschooler, and having the prep he needs to succeed in college. He didn't finish AHL on time because we visited family for several weeks and he didn't do his work, so he had to finish in summer. It was an adjustment for him to realize that high school work doesn't go away, a geometry credit is a geometry credit, and so forth. But he is more motivated as he begins this year :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

ilovemy4kids
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:08 pm

Re: US History to 1877 questions....

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Tue May 01, 2012 10:23 pm

Julie in MN wrote:At my house, I guess each day is different, but in general I expect about an hour a day per class. Some usually take more and might be finished in the evening (math, English) and some usually take less (French, Biology, Bible), and History is probably right in the middle?
I think this is it! Because of our choices for French (veritas scholars online) it's 1 1/2 hours of class twice per week plus another 1 hour daily on the remaining days. Same with science being online live classes - 1 hour 1/2 hour once a week plus another hour daily (or more) of study on the remaining days. That alone uses up a lot more time.
Julie in MN wrote:My son's school hours are 8:30 to 3 this year (8:30 to 2:30 last year didn't seem like quite enough), and he usually does something while he eats, so no real breaks in there. But he has some outside activities that he has to work around (phy ed class at 1:30 Tuesdays, and math team at 1-2:00 Wednesdays, book club around 12:30 Fridays). So he has to work around those, or do work in the evenings.
Sounds like he is a busy guy! Ours are busy too, but mostly in the evenings, football, volleyball, cross country, track and field and national homeschool honor society, boy scouts (EAGLE :-) ) and American Heritage Girls, not to mention service projects and volunteering- Jan and Feb are my favorites - NO SPORTS - we don't do basketball
Julie in MN wrote:There are "light Fridays" in the manual. At our house, I cross off about 10 of those because we follow a public school calendar that is shorter than 36 weeks. Then the rest of them get eaten up by unfinished work or outside activities, so my ds's Fridays are just as long as the other days. My son does his service project in summer.
That is a neat idea, our son has always used the light friday schedule for catching up on unfinished work, which seems to be always
Julie in MN wrote:I consider a solid high school program to be 6 hours of concentrated effort, or of course longer if things are more casual or students are very slow. My son has friends in public school, and the good students do a TON of homework. My son doesn't have anywhere CLOSE to the amount of homework that some of them have. And he has higher aspirations than some of his friends who are less good students, so he accepts he has more evening work than a few of them.
Not just a smart kid, but a wise one as well! :)
Julie in MN wrote:It's an adjustment but it is doable. I feel my son has had a nice balance of having some advantages as a homeschooler, and having the prep he needs to succeed in college. He didn't finish AHL on time because we visited family for several weeks and he didn't do his work, so he had to finish in summer. It was an adjustment for him to realize that high school work doesn't go away, a geometry credit is a geometry credit, and so forth. But he is more motivated this year :)
Mine did this too... He's on 29 of WHL right now.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, I really do appreciate it!

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: US History to 1877 questions....

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed May 02, 2012 2:34 pm

Today as my son was doing another map, I realized I forgot to include the Geography credit. It's only 0.25 credit, but it does add probably over an hour to every Friday, if you average it out.

My son is "supposed" to be on week 31 right now, according to the public school calendar that we follow, but he is behind too, especially on the maps and some of the English. He likes to forge ahead and I decided that some of the support materials help cement the learning, so I'm trying to have him stop and go back over the things he skipped so the topics all come together in his mind. It's tricky guiding a young person towards adulthood :)
ilovemy4kids wrote:Isn't the geography mostly scheduled during the M-TH time as it was in AHL and WHL? I haven't looked that closely yet. I know what you mean about needing to go back and do some stuff here and there...we are doing the same thing.

The timeline figures seem to be my sons nemesis!
The maps in AHL were part of the history credit.

The maps in WHL will earn the student an extra 1/4 credit in Geography. Therefore, I think the work on those days is above-and-beyond the one hour I quoted above. That's probably the reason my son is behind on his maps - we didn't allow for that extra time in WHL. So, I think if I were scheduling things out for WHL (or for US2), I'd make a spot for the Geography work.

Maybe the "social studies" in US1 will take less time because it's 1 credit rather than 1.25? We shall see!
ilovemy4kids wrote:Ahh...now I see. My son does fine with getting the maps done, but boy are those figures a bugger! Hmmm.... I think I may go study the manual a bit and see how and where the geography in US 1 tends to land.... Off to go take a look. :) I think alot of the map assignments come from the US History student activities book, but I could be mistaken.
Glad the maps aren't a problem. My son is really increasing in his map skills, but lately some of them he requests two copies of the map because there's so much to fill in! (His handwriting is not small.)

Anyways, I don't think there's enough mapping in US1 to require you to schedule in extra time. The 2nd piece of the geography credit is not until US2 (12th grade).
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Time needed each day for US1

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:16 pm

joyfulmom wrote:I am trying to plan my schedule for the upcoming year. My son will be starting US1 (is that the right acronym???) and I am wondering how much time to give for that. And does that include science, etc or will that time be added on?

Thanks
Lori
We haven't started yet - we start after Labor Day. But since no one is around to help, I'll just say that in high school, I plan for one hour per day per class, with the possibility of some reading or math problems in the evening. Some classes take more or less time, but basically it seems to even out to about an hour per class, per day. MFW Fridays are lighter, but I still count that as an hour per class for various reasons (corrections, days off, I need to skip some Fridays because we don't have 36 weeks at our local public schools, etc.).

But again, I've only done AHL and WHL. I'd assume US1 is more work than those, but my student is more capable now, too.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Time needed each day for US1

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 am

agreeing with the general rule of thumb... expect about an hour per class when in high school.

in US1 also plan for a little more teacher prep/involvement if using "option 1" of the worldview course. from website
We suggest two options for using Thinking Like a Christian:

Option 1 requires the active involvement of the parent/teacher to read the lesson ahead of time, prepare, and teach a weekly 45-minute teaching session and short review. (Detailed lesson plans are provided.) This option provides for valuable interaction about Biblical worldview between student and parent/teacher.

Option 2 is available for circumstances in which families cannot follow option 1. The student will not have the benefit of additional enrichment activities, guided discussions, and structured input from the parent/teacher; this is a self-teaching option. Option 2 still provides exposure to an excellent Biblical worldview course.
so far... my time to plan to do that once a week class with my student is not going to be a lot of prep time on me. the details of the lesson plan are provided like it says. But as a teacher, I do not want to open and go and not be ready for a class like this. So.. I'm planning to look over each week's stuff for 15 minutes. make sure I have a clue and be ready for going over the material.

I should also mention..... week 1 may not take as long as rest of the year.... I'm glad it's a gentle start.. so is my oldest. she's had a great summer filled with church events, fun, friends, etc... glad to ease into this week.

-crystal

Julie in MN
Posts: 2928
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Time doing AHL?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:32 am

MelissaB wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:03 pm
How much time does a student spend each day doing AHL? Not counting math, science and electives; just getting through the AHL curriculum itself.

Planning for high school... (pit in stomach). :)

Thanks in advance!
Hi Melissa,
I'd plan an hour per day, per credit. Of course it depends on the student, and some classes may go faster while others take a little longer, but I think the average was pretty close to that. I think Marie asked pilot kids to report their exact time and they spent 45-60 minutes per credit. For my son it averaged 60.

Happiest Christ-mas,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest