Schedule - Considering adding a year to high school

kellybell

Schedule - Considering adding a year to high school

Unread post by kellybell » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:53 pm

gressman9 wrote:I already talked to David....but I wanted your opinion too....my oldest is 15...soon to be 16. He is a sophomore. For history he has studied world history. Technically he needs American history/government/economics for the rest of highschool.

David had mentioned that he could try the Ancients next fall.....and then skip the world history and do the American which should be piloted by then. BUT....we would end up adding a year to his highschool....at least for history.

Why am I considering it? Well....I don't think he was taught to think very critically this year. I am assuming that MFW highschool is better at this. Also....I am switching everyone else.... So....I am not really sure what to ask....other than what would you do? Would you make the change?
Carylee
Are you afraid that doing the CTG high school would add a year to his high school by postponing needed history and government?

Is there a way to piggy-back histories. He should have a pretty good idea how the entire picture of history works. He could do the MFW high school, maybe with some "streamlining" and perhaps work through a "lighter" USA high-school history text by ... some company or another.

Just an idea. It's hard when a good company like MFW is in the pilot stage. You can't just tell your child, "Look I know what the birth certificate says but you must remain 14 for three years while I wait for the piloted version to come out. Then you can enter 9th grade. Sorry about that."
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

Julie in MN

Re: Another question for those using the highschool pilot...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:05 pm

gressman9 wrote: Why am I considering it? Well....I don't think he was taught to think very critically this year. I am assuming that MFW highschool is better at this. Also....I am switching everyone else....
Hi Carylee,
There are a lot of factors that play into this decision.

It sounds like you are thinking about more than whether to use MFW -- but actually wondering in general whether your son needs another year of high school.

It looks like your son would be barely 17 when he is "supposed" to graduate. It's not unusual to evaluate whether a 17 year old is fully educated and ready to move on; especially a boy. But only you and dh will know the answer to this -- as the "principal(s)" of your school.

As you can see by my signature line, I have no problem graduating a child late LOL! How does your ds feel about this decision? I don't think that's the only thing to consider, but his thoughts should go into the mix. Has he been working hard and expecting to earn his diploma in another year? Or, does he know that he may not be ready yet?

One thing that you might consider is deciding what *your* school will require for graduation.
- For one thing, do you require reading the Bible all the way thru before graduation? MFW would provide that. What a great thing!
- As for requiring American history/gov/econ, that is totally your decision. Maybe you value & require those things in your school? But if you are just worried about college requirements, you can check with favorite colleges but I strongly feel you will find more flexibility than you realize. Transcripts do become more important if your ds is not a stellar ACT/SAT test-taker, though.
- Oh, and you mentioned requiring a certain level of critical thinking -- that's also a reasonable requirement for you to have in *your* school -- but you may want to define what that means to your son. Does it mean passing a writing exam given by you, or completing a certain class, or etc.?

Laying out these requirements will probably help your son invest in your plan. And hopefully he will give you a little slack for having to work out your plan as you go -- being new teachers and all :o)
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

gressman9

Unread post by gressman9 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:34 pm

Actually, he will be turning 18 the same month he is suppose to graduate (May birthday).

Yes, I was just told that the American History was expected for college. He doesn't even want to take American History....he had a really indepth year with it in 8th grade. I have no idea how he will do on the ACT next year. He is not the best test taker.

As far as how he feels....he says he thinks I know what is best for him! What a great answer, from a kid,huh? If he only knew how hard it was to make these decisions!
:)
Carylee

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:20 am

gressman9 wrote:he says he thinks I know what is best for him! What a great answer, from a kid,huh?
Wow, what a kid!!! Gotta love him :o)

So are you saying that so far for history he has had:
1. World history
2. Christian history

And you need 3 more years for:
1. American History
2. Gov/Economics
3. Possibly add in Ancients

If so, I would think you are considering two options.
1. Take an extra year for high school
2. Eliminate any one year that you don't consider essential, which seems to be Ancients at this time. But note that if you Google "History requirement" for one of your local public high schools, you will likely find a lot of variety. Schools near us have high school options that include classes like "Social Studies 10" and "European History," and they definitely do not all fall in line with the "traditional 4" classes.

A third option in my mind is:
3. Ignore all the other issues & first focus on whether doing Ancients is what you want for your son. Would he benefit from a solid foundation in the Old Testament -- how God created us, how we fell away from Him, what his plan has been throughout history, and how the Biblical history is intertwined with all known ancient history? Would he benefit from finding out the origin of much of our art, architecture, favorite sayings, names, and so on?

If you do decide on the Ancients for this coming year, you don't *really* have to decide about the next two years yet. If your son is so easy to please, you may have another year before you make that decision. At that time, you may see the benefit of going an extra year. Or, you might decide to have him do American and add the Econ/Gov alongside it using other materials. God may present another wonderful option for you, who knows?!

Hopefully others will chime in who are not so full of "options" as I always am :o) I also would give a lot of weight to the experienced advice you received from David Hazell. He and his wife are very gifted in seeing what needs to be done, all the while keeping one eye on God's Kingdom.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:07 am

Carylee,

My daughter has been doing the Ancient History and Lit. with MFW this year. I would say that it does focus on trying to get the kids thinking about the choices of characters in the books they read as well as books that are used like The New Answers book that help them see the fallacies of modern thought on many aspects in science including creation.
Plus a Julie mentioned they are reading God's word daily being immersed in His thoughts.

I do not have any other thoughts or wisdom for you as far as the plan you should follow. I can hear though how hard this is for you and your husband. He will make it clear for you.

MFW does suggest and sell 2 books to help with thinking skills. The 2 of them together are considered a semester in philosophy. The Fallacy Detective and The Thinking Tool Box. These would also be a good addition to help with thinking more critically.

Hope something in here helps you but I know that in the end He will guide you to what is best for your son. Wow, I wish my kids had that attitude of whatever I think is best for them to do it. Sounds like he's got a lot going for him already in his character.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

gressman9

Unread post by gressman9 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:20 am

Believe me....out of 7 kids...he's the only one with that attitude! Unfortunately it comes across as being lazy most of the time. He is just really easy going.

Okay....I guess I am back to my original plan....look at it the next convention I get to.

We are still wavering on our dd (14 in Sept). I was leaning towards putting her in ECC with the younger kids....but as she already has a heart for missions....has read some of the 7th and 8th grade supplements already...and she wants more challenging work....we might start the MFW highschool material with her too....but still tell her she is in 8th grade (her birthday misses the cut-off in ps by 3 weeks). That way she has an extra year to do the work just in case, and we are not obligated to graduate her early. If she finishes everything early...she could start college classes at home!
Carylee

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:22 pm

This sounds like a good plan for your daughter. I like the way you are planning on handling and if you see that it is too tough you can also put it on the self and wait until the following year having her join in with ECC doing the 7th /8th grade adjustments to the program.

Praying for you as you seek for the right plan for your son.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.