Placement - AHL right after CTG or other Ancients study?

Lucy

Placement - AHL right after CTG or other Ancients study?

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 am

3songs2him wrote:This is our 2nd year of MFW (we've completed ECC and are currently in CTG). My oldest son will be in the "9th" grade this coming September and is academically ready for the highschool program.

I was concerned about not having been through RTR and Exp1850, etc., and he not acquiring a solid historical foundation before moving into highschool level history. I don't want him to miss any "gems."

Also, since we're in CTG this year, much of the info would be repeated in the beginning of the highschool program. This may frustrate him with repetition, or may be a good thing, building on what he has already learned about that time period.

I have considered moving him into RTR. However, he has excellent reading comprehension and writing skills and I don't want to bore him with 8th grade work. Any thoughts?
Joanna
My 3songs2Him: Leland (14), Chace (12), Marina (9)
Hi Joanna,

My daughter has done Ancients and it is so different than CTG in the bible readings and added books of study, the more in-depth history, and the great lit. study from books of or about the time. It goes so much more in-depth and gives so much more for the student to dig into and think about from a biblical perspective. It is so much more in-depth both spiritually and academically. I would not worry too much about him doing the same time period again. He will have had a great preview which can only be helpful. I really do not think he will be bored.

The Literature and composition are a large part of the year considering that is one of the credits being covered. This has been really a gem in the program. The questions, vocab. quizzes, and writing assignments for Lit. give the student a lot of time to think on the book and to assimilate not only it's meaning but its significance from a biblical world view.

What I am seeing is that just as the 2nd-8th grade programs have been made age appropriate, so has the high school level. All of the levels, high school included, have great gems in them.

Nothing says he can not listen in on your read alouds in RTR while he is in high school next year. This again would give him a glimpse of the time period and those books are some real gems in the RTR program.

One of the things that I like is the timeline being used in high school as a tool for review as you study along. So this will also be a helpful tool to him as he is catching the history.

Ask more questions if you need to. In my thoughts you should just have him start at the beginning of the high school material.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

LSH in MS

Would you choose this way?

Unread post by LSH in MS » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:42 am

PeeDee Mama wrote:Would this work:
1. ECC & K (5th, 2nd, 2nd, K, 3yo)
2. Ex1850 (with younger supp) & 1st (6th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 4 yo)
3. 1850MOD (with younger supp) & K (7th, 4th, 4th, 2nd, K)
4. CtG & 1st (8th, 5th, 5th, 3rd, 1st)
5. high school & RTR (9th, 6th, 6th, 4th, 2nd)
I like this plan as Ex1850 and 1850MOD are my favorite years! One of my dc will do CTG and AHL back to back. During CTG I plan to focus more on science, writing and literature for him that year.
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

cbollin

Re: Would you choose this way?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 pm

LSH in MS wrote: One of my dc will do CTG and AHL back to back. During CTG I plan to focus more on science, writing and literature for him that year.
agreeing with Lori, as I've got a kid in the same CTG in 8th, then AHL in 9th situation....

This year my oldest (8th grader in CTG) focused on enjoying science, working hard in Algebra I, Russian I (high school credit level).

Then for history -- she enjoyed CTG knowing that next year she'll read more. she enjoyed some fiction books. read lots of current events. did some field trips. IMAX.

Bible -- well, I'm not worried about studying OT overview in CTG then entire OT in AHL. But, we "added" to her "Bible" time this year, youth leadership roles and serving at church.
and she took charge of many of the cooking projects in CTG. She made some really good hamanstachen cookies, and she can make some matzah ball again anytime of year as far I'm concerned.

and of course, archery. still trying to figure that one out.. but.. yeah.

so, my experience so far in the CTG in 8th knowing that you'll do AHL in 9th: add in those things that you wish you had done earlier like home ec, mowing the yard, more involvement in the community/church, etc. Work on writing skills. home repair. and then let history just be a subject instead of a driving force ;)

Another thing that we did -- began to look at thinking and dreaming about "what kind of career/job/work do you think you might want to do" -- and begin the process of tiny steps in a career prep or for thinking about what other electives do you want to take in high school.

so, .. don't worry if you have a child do CTG in 8th and then AHL in 9th. You'll change the focus a bit in that child's life from "history driven" to "life driven"

so... maybe in a few months, I'll have some just down the road tips for doing ctg and then ahl... but I"m really not worried about it

-crystal

hsmom3

My 8th grader did CTG

Unread post by hsmom3 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:39 am

I just wanted to say that my 8th grader did CTG this past year and will begin AHL for 9th. I didn't want it to end up of this way but it did. But what I decided is that it may help to do Ancients again at the high school level since it will be familiar to her and she can focus more on the other subjects. Last year my son did AHL and it was a big change from doing the other MFW years. Way more reading and the argumentative essay was very new to him. So I'm hoping my dd will have an easier transition since she just finished ancients.

I pray you'll get peace about what to do.

Blessings,
Susan
2011/12 School Year: WHL, AHL, Rome to Reformation

LSH in MS

CTG and AHL question

Unread post by LSH in MS » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:37 pm

joyfulmom wrote:Has anyone had an 8th grader go through CTG and then do AHL in 9th? How much overlap of info is there? This will be happening to my daughter in our current cycle and am wondering if she is going to feel like she is repeating a lot 2 years in a row. Someone who has done both - what do you think?
Thanks
Lori
My 8th grader was supposed to do CTG in 8th but he didn't do the history and Bible with his younger siblings. It was a year of allowing him to follow his interests and focus on math, science, writing, grammar, and spanish
Lori

wife to Clifford, mother to ds (17), ds (16), ds (15, ds (13), ds (8), and ds (3)
MFW user for 10 years

cbollin

Re: CTG and AHL question

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:01 pm

I like Lori's way of doing it too. It certainly is one easy way to do it. social studies in 8th grade doesn't have to be history :)

My oldest had no real problem with overlap, etc. Yes, we were re-reading the Old Testament. But we read all of it.

My daughter was going for some extra credit this week in English. So she wrote this "paper" to chime in to help provide the student point of view. (yes, it was edited with help from her dad in some small places. ) LOL I think MFW should put her in a convention booth. I'm sold on it. good job kiddo...

-crystal

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:04 pm

on behalf of my daughter, whose screen name is mfwstudent
mfwstudent wrote:CtG and AHL
KB 3/28/12

I started in MFW in 2nd grade with ECC (Adventures had not yet been written), and so I ended up repeating CtG in 8th grade. That’s fine in itself, but we had some concerns about year 1 of MFW high school covering the same period of history the following year. That didn’t cause me any trouble, however; in fact, I think it helped me. Because AHL is written at a high school level, it contains much more material than does elementary-level CtG, and doing the elementary program the previous year helped me see how events relate to each other. I also got to do (and remember) all of the hands-on projects and read-alouds that are only in CtG.

Although the programs cover the same time period, they are quite different programs. They are aimed at very different educational levels, and, accordingly, they use entirely different books (all except the Bible and Journey Through the Bible). Furthermore, AHL covers the period in much greater depth than does CtG. I did not at all feel like I was repeating 8th grade.

In fact, having done CtG the year prior to AHL helped me put the events I studied in AHL into context. CtG served as an overview to let me know what was coming. When in AHL I studied details of a time period, I could see how this and that aspect of the people survived and even blossomed when the invaders came, or how the invaders must have incorporated it into their existing culture. For example, I didn’t realize until then how much of an influence Egypt had on the Israelites until I studied the Egyptian myths (such as cow-headed gods and goddesses that may have influenced Aaron’s choice of a golden calf).

Moreover, I loved getting to do all of the hands on projects and read-alouds (from CTG). I read Archimedes and the Door to Science to myself instead of sitting in for read aloud. It was my favorite because it describes all the science stuff he discovered, which I can now understand much better. And it was awesome to build the tabernacle, have a Greek feast, celebrate the Seder, and such. As an 8th grader, I did more of that prep work to help mom.

All in all, I think it was beneficial for me to do the “same” thing two years in a row – repetition is after all what cements stuff in your brain. In particular, studying Biblical history again ingrained it into my head. I have since gained a reputation in my small group for being a Bible nerd, knowing all sorts of random stuff about Old Testament history, including not just that covered in the Bible itself but also events elsewhere in Mesopotamia at the time. I do not think doing the two programs in consecutive years harmed anything.
My note as mom?
(mom’s note. I didn’t ask her to do deep history study in ctg year since I knew we’d cover more in AHL. Instead, her “social studies” time was a bit of home ec, and learning Archery (participating in the homechool league), and taking a student leadership program at church. Also, she ended up reading a few extra historical fiction novels during CTG. Unknown to me at the time, some of those same titles were suggested as extra reading for AHL. Part of the “English credit” in AHL includes “free reading” time. Historical fiction is one option. I didn’t worry that she had read some of those titles the year before because it was easy to sub in non historical fiction titles in AHL for “free reading” time.)

blessings on your decision. I guess I should give her an A on the paper. I dont' know how much my dh edited it though ;) I heard them laughing at some of her spelling typos.

-crystal

joyfulmom

Unread post by joyfulmom » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:52 pm

Thanks for your insights and help.

Crystal - great article from your daughter! Thanks so much.

Lori
Lori

2016-2017 1st, 1850-Mod, Ancient History & Lit, 1877 to present
2015-2016 K, Exp to 1850, US history to 1877
2014-2015 RTR, World History
2013-2014 1st, CTG, Ancient History
2012-2013 K, ECC

cbollin

Hi, new to the boards, question about MFW high school...

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm

AHL after extensive ancients/OT studies
RCCOLA wrote:Hi, we discovered MFW and have been using it for the past two years. Wish I would have discovered it earlier and discovered this board earlier, too! :)

My son will be in 9th grade next year. He is not interested in studying ancients at all. We did an extensive study on AH and the old testament in previous years. He is ready to move on. He does enjoy world history and US history, so I went ahead and picked up World History for him to use in 9th grade, then we'll move on to US 1 in 10th grade and US 2 in 11th grade. For 12th grade, I plan on enrolling him in some college courses and don't plan on doing a lot of schooling at home anyway.

So my question is.....will we be okay with the writing and literature by skipping AHL and moving right into WHL in 9th grade? I just don't want to miss something there because if that is the case, I may switch gears and not use MFW for the Lit portion and use something else just to avoid going back to ancient history.
Welcome to the board!
with a screen name like yours,... I'll go get us some moon pies.

You've done plenty of Old Testament. and feel like if you do more ancients, it will be not the right thing....ok... I"ll think out loud with you to get some talk started...... the other option is to call mfw office for even more opinion and feedback.

Because the argumentative essay is covered thoroughly in AHL, it doesn't get coverage in WHL the same way. you have a goal that in 12th grade to be in college courses... you will want to have something at some point to do argumentative essay. I'm not sure how to suggest that in 9th in WHL. WHL uses a book for writing instruction called Writer's Inc. In that book, students will have time for research paper and many other types of writing.

Where is your student's writing currently? What kinds of programs have you used in jr. high?

and same thing with literature analysis -- what did you use in jr. high for that?

which 2 years of MFW have you done... that might give some extra flavor for answering :)
RCCOLA wrote:Let's see...sitting down with a moon pie and thinking....

For the past two years we have done Writing Strands 3 and 4. For literature analysis we did Progeny Press Guides and the Literature analysis provided in our previous program.

I was thinking if we didn't use MFW's Lit, we would use IEW's Windows to the World for 1/2 semester and maybe use Excellence in Literature to round out the year.
My preferences in my family are to connect history and literature and writing as much as possible. So, I'd lean toward using WHL as written. Adding "skill based" on as needed basis.

From what you've listed, you should be fine with the plan you have to do WHL without AHL in terms of writing and literature analysis.

some ideas to consider if you see the need.... during weeks 3-10 in WHL, the English focus is on learning to write and then writing a research paper. It is suggested to also pick a historical fiction novel or novels to read to round out the English time each day. For some students, the research paper will be "enough". For other students, adding in "optional" reading is needed.

That would be a good time, if you need more in depth analysis, to add in a Progeny Press guide related to history in those weeks or coming weeks. You could do Eagle of the Ninth (MFW sells that..one and it is listed by PP as 7th-9th). You could
If you feel the need to do a longer analysis on Julius Caesar... PP has a guide for that. I haven't used that one. Bronze Bow is listed as a "lighter English reading" while doing research paper and there's a PP guide for that.

and if you see a need for more direct instruction in specific writing skills, you might find something for that.

In terms of learning argumentative essay structure.. that will be important to learn at some point. You might do a summer unit on that - a little before 9th and then a little before 10th. Prompts could come easily from any Progeny Press Guides, and then you could get the MFW AHL Lit/comp guide and use the first 70 pages of that program for the grammar and structure of essay. The grammar in those pages of that supplement are designed to help the student go back to any essay that has been written and edit and improve the essay with grammar points... The first part of the lit/comp guide will work the student through the process of how to write the essay, and how to evaluate it.

so I might just suggest getting that one book from AHL, do an essay in the summer as a little bit of summer courses... you might glance through the other pages in that guide, see if you have used those books and maybe see if those prompts would be helpful? but yeah.. for $33 dollars that would be a nice resource for learning essay even if it's just those pages you use and then keep them for reference for future essay writing.

Other people think it's not very detailed in instruction. You might order it or check it out at convention and see if you need more detail.

how does that sound?
fill in the writing need in small summer sections.
do WHL
and if you want more lit analysis... do the optional thing in weeks 3-10 and consider a PP guide for that.

so.. yes, I think using MFW can meet your goals
-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Hi, new to the boards, question about MFW high school...

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:19 pm

RCCOLA wrote:Let's see...sitting down with a moon pie and thinking....

For the past two years we have done Writing Strands 3 and 4. For literature analysis we did Progeny Press Guides and the Literature analysis provided in our previous program.

I was thinking if we didn't use MFW's Lit, we would use IEW's Windows to the World for 1/2 semester and maybe use Excellence in Literature to round out the year.
My son is part of a boys' book club. He really, really thrives when he has others to talk to about what he's reading, so we keep on keeping on. Some of the books they read are just fluffy types or easy, anyways, and I don't have to accommodate. Once in a great while, we are blessed and the books wonderfully overlap with what we are reading in MFW (like Julius Caesar this year). But there have been some big books that caused me to make some choices about MFW lit vs. book club lit. For instance, they are reading To Kill A Mockingbird right now, so my son did not read Pride & Prejudice.

What I do is look at the MFW assignment and evaluate whether he's learned the material in his book club (they did a character analysis with Treasure Island earlier this year, and he's getting the reading in with Mockingbird, plus I am okay right now with the whole marriage discussion since he has adult siblings and cousins whose lives we discuss ;) - so I felt okay skippping the Pride & Prej.) Anyways... MFW can be adapted, but I would definitely look over the MFW assignments because some of them I definitely do not want to skip. We got a lot of mileage out of the research paper this year, as well as learning to write a letter to the editor, a speech about the French Revolution, and other assignments.

Hope that helps and isn't more confusing!
Julie

[Editor's note: Mockingbird is on the suggested reading list for Year 4, although another book may be selected at that time.]
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

RCCOLA

Re: Hi, new to the boards, question about MFW high school...

Unread post by RCCOLA » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Thank you both for taking time to reply. It looks like we will be okay using the lit from WH. I'm thinking I can probably fit in an argumentative essay somewhere along the way. :)

We do have a Progeny Press guide here that I may use in place of one of the books we have already read, so this all seems doable! :)

momonthemove

6th and 8th grader question

Unread post by momonthemove » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:21 pm

nathansgirl wrote:We are getting ready to buy next years curriculum. We are finishing up our 1st year of MFW and loving it! We used ECC this year so next year we should go into Creation to the Greeks. That would be fine for my will be 6th grader but my will be 8th grader just studied that last year before we started MFW and then the following year will do MFW 9th grade and study basically the same time again. So any suggestions? Should I still keep them together?

I was almost thinking buying CTG for 6th grader and 1850 to Modern times for the 8th grader to do mostly independently. Or I could rotate or skip the 9th grade history? Any help would be appreciated.

Blessings,
Carrie
http://www.thelordisourportion.blogspot.com
Well, I have a 7th grader doing ECC with his 3rd grade brother this year. Knowing we are only 2 years away from MFW HS and knowing we start at the beginning with Ancients, I let my oldest decide what he wanted to study in the 5 year cycle. So, we are jumping ahead to 1850s- Modern times. Then in 2 years, I will have 9th grader doing the first year of MFW high school, and younger two doing Creation to the Greeks.

It is out of order and while I like order, I couldn't see my son having to do 2 years in a row of similar times. And, I didn't want to be doing 2 guides next year.
Deb
Wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years.
momonthemove to 3 wonderful children, 12, 8 and 5

http://jibberjabberx3.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN

Re: 6th and 8th grader question

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 pm

I agree with Carrie that after ECC, it's possible to just pick the year that you've had the least coverage of and go with that.

However, if you decide that ancients is the year you haven't covered and it's an important foundation for starting the history cycle, then there are reasons for choosing CTG, as well. And besides the obvious down side of doing ancients two years in a row, there are some up sides, as well. One, the older student will have a good leg up on transitioning into high school, since some of the material will be previewed already. Two, the 8th grader can spend less time in 8th grade on history, and more on getting used to Algebra or Apologia Science or even trying out some electives like shop class. And three, since high school is running through the entire Old Testament in 9 months, there isn't a lot of time to delve into the interesting bits like he would get to do in CTG -- celebrating the feasts that often parallel events in Jesus' life, memorizing the 10 commandments and spending a couple of weeks on that, maybe watching some of the good movies that make Biblical times come to life.

Lots of options,
Julie

Julie in MN

Re: 6th and 8th grader question - Similar Situation

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:54 am

4myboys wrote:I am in a similar situation. I am strongly considering using ECC for the coming year, but I have been concerned as to where to go from there as we have been covering Old Testament, Egypt and Greece this year. I don't really want to do ancients three times in four years. I do like what another poster suggested about tailoring the 8th grade year so there is less of a history focus and use it to really concentrate on the math, science and English and other electives (probably something technical).

I am not sure I am sold on doing history all through highschool, either. My origianal plan (which I may yet stick to) allowed for an elective in grade 12 (so it might be history, but it also couold be another science or a technology course or whatever is needed to meet post secondary requirements for whatever he might want to do after high school). I don't know if he could handle the grade 9 Ancients in 8th. Maybe, maybe not. My biggest fear is the cost of buying two curriculum packages. I guess that is coming eventually whether or not I want it to.
Just a couple of thoughts.

1. After ECC, if your family has thoroughly covered Ancients, then it is pretty standard to just move to the year you need to start with. I always like to mention that it's good to be sure your kids have a good grasp of the beginning of history when man fell away from God, or to go over that briefly before you start all the disappointments of history. But ECC will give the kids a good foundation in praying for those who need God.

2. MFW does 3 years of history in high school, plus a semester of government and a semester of economics. The third year of history is split, half in US1 and half in US2, with a study of government fitting nicely in between and a study of economics fitting nicely afterwards.

3. MFW's first year of high school is sort-of an "elective" in that ancients is not always expected in high school. However, for us it was a strong year of apologetics, reading the entire Old Testament and comparing it to other ancient works (including those idealized Greeks), so that when my son meets up with the college students who tell him all the old beliefs and stories are the same, he can say, No, I've read quite a few of them, and they are actually quite different. MFW also gives their reasons they suggest adding Ancients into the mix:
  • While reviewing the sequence of the high school program you may be asking, "Can my student skip Ancient History and Literature since it is not a state requirement for graduation?" Though not state-required, My Father's World believes Ancient History and Literature is critical to a Biblical scope and sequence for high school. This program provides high school students with a solid foundation in Bible that includes reading the entire Old Testament. Integrating Old Testament readings with the study of ancient cultures and literature meets the greater goal of educating children with solid Christian beliefs, while achieving strong academic goals. Ancient History and Literature helps high school students embrace a strong Biblical worldview by developing analytical skills and spiritual maturity. Students will be faced with many thought-provoking life issues including, "Will I live for my pleasure, or will I live for God's glory?" Ancient History and Literature is important for all high school students, even those who have recently studied this time period. Don't miss this great opportunity to give your children more of God's heart for His people and His creation while preparing them for college or a career.
That was from here: http://www.mfwbooks.com/category/M50/50#why

Hope that helps. Lots to think through during those middle years, I know.
Julie

faithfarmmom

Grade 8 student question??

Unread post by faithfarmmom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:02 pm

Would you have a grade 8 student that just covered Creation to Greeks use Ancient History & Literature the very next year?

Are these 2 years similar in content covered? Or different enough that he wouldn't feel like we were repeating the same material for 2 years?

Julie in MN

Grade 8 student question??

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:26 am

faithfarmmom wrote:Would you have a grade 8 student that just covered Creation to Greeks use Ancient History & Literature the very next year?

Are these 2 years similar in content covered? Or different enough that he wouldn't feel like we were repeating the same material for 2 years?
Hello,
First, I wanted to be sure that you don't have options for 8th grade - if you haven't done 8th yet, and if this is your youngest or only child, then you don't necessarily have to do CTG after ECC. Not sure where you're at on that.

And to answer your question about differences, yes, they are pretty different from one another. For instance, when you come to something major in CTG such as the 10 commandments or the building of the Tabernacle, you slow down and spend a couple weeks on it. You do hands-on in order to understand it more fully, with a Tabernacle model, a poster-sized 10 commandments, memory work on the commandments, etc. You also attempt to reenact the major feasts and see their connections to the New Testament. When you are reading the entire Old Testament in AHL, the 10 commandments might be one chapter out of 5 that you are reading that day, and there is no time to spend days or weeks on it. There is a pamphlet illustrating the Tabernacle, but the OT feasts get little attention as you are covering the entire history of a people.

Does that help? There are also a few more thoughts in the archives: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4885
Julie

faithfarmmom

Re: Grade 8 student question??

Unread post by faithfarmmom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:59 pm

Thank you so much! This does help very much! This is our first year using MFW but we've been homeschooling for 13 years and graduating our oldest this year. We will be doing ECC this year with our 3rd, 5th & 7th grader. Just trying to plan ahead, especially for our 7th grader.

TriciaMR

Need help in deciding!

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:59 am

betancourt6 wrote:Hello MFW families!
We began this school year with the intention of progressing through the cycle with Exploration to 1850 for my 5th grade ds and 8th grade dd. My 10th grade dd is doing high school with a tutorial. After only doing Expl-1850 for a few weeks, I ended up making an executive decision and after discussing with my family, we decided to go back to ECC, since my 8th grade dd wanted to do it more in-depth before high school next fall. So, now my ds is asking about American History and I'm considering getting back on the cycle this summer with Exploration-1850.

That will then leave him with 8th grade year back at either CtG or RtR, then having him back at Ancients in 9th grade. I am a bit overwhelmed with deciding at the moment, especially with the fact that we'll be in 3 different TM's this summer (elementary cycle, AHL, and U.S. History to 1877). Any suggestions and even just plain encouragement would be greatly appreciated. God bless!
A different option... Go in order - ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp1850, and then summer before high school, have him read (or listen to CDs) of Story of the World vol 4.

Many people have said AHL is so different than CTG/RTR that it doesn't really matter if you do them right before high school, so it works out okay.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

MelissaB

Re: Need help in deciding!

Unread post by MelissaB » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi, Jackie,

Trish had some great thoughts.

Another note to keep in mind... Teaching history in chronological order is a great thing. However, our children's minds also can grasp historical lessons & concepts when it's taught out of order, too.
So, whatever way you choose to do it, all three of your well-loved students will learn history, and learn it well. :)

Blessings to you! ~
Melissa
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi Jackie,
Questions about doing CTG and then AHL come up for various reasons and there is even a thread here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=4885

Basically, I think it can be fine for several reasons:

- The "preview" of the first year of high school might make the transition to high school work easier. For instance, reading the Children's Homer in 8th might make the Iliad & Odyssey easier in 9th.

- CTG brings more of the fun/interesting stuff in the Old Testament to life, with reenacting the 10 plagues, building a model tabernacle, and participating in the feasts in some way. Those will be fresher in mind when doing the longer high school readings without time to stop.

- The "apologetics" portion of AHL might be especially appropriate to a student who has just read through much of the Old Testament as he was gradually moving into the rhetoric level and starting to have questions of his own. Then AHL can help answer those questions by showing facts in Archaeology, History, and comparing other ancient literature.

- A lighter year of history in 8th grade is nice because you can spend more time ensuring your student does well in the transition to algebra, physical science, writing, and grammar -- or whatever levels he's doing where an hour a day becomes the new norm.

- Lighter history in 8th means there may also be time for a special focus like the Shop Class my son and his dad did.

There are many ways you can set up that last year for your youngest, since you don't have any other littles to worry about, but just wanted to help you picture what CTG would look like.
Julie

betancourt6

Unread post by betancourt6 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:00 pm

Wow, thank you all so much for sharing your wonderful suggestions! Simply reading your comments tonight has given me a peace that I've been missing. I don't know why, but I tend to question my choices sometimes and get myself all worked up about it, then make it difficult for me to think and discern clearly. Another happy MFW mom on FB shared very similar suggestions as you all have, so here is my confirmation. We are finishing out our 2nd round of ECC, then it's on to Exploration to 1850 for my ds, while my sweet girls tackle high school with MFW. I am going to make it a point to enjoy this journey and not worry so much! Be anxious for nothing, my Father reminds me! ;-)
The Betancourt 6:
Jackie B.
Married for 21+ years to Joe
Sons 21 & 11, Daughters 16 & 14
2015-2016: Expl-1850, AHL, US to 1877