Credits - General questions, terminology, states

gressman9

Credits - General questions, terminology, states

Unread post by gressman9 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:25 pm

Credits - How are they awarded? vs. Accreditation
3songs2him wrote:My son will be beginning AHL this fall. How do they determine whether the student has completed the program and may receive the credits? Also, how would a student receive credit for his non-MFW studies, such as Saxon Algebra 1 and Apologia Science? The info I received from MFW didn't go into depth about accreditation, so I thought I'd ask you all!
I am new and planning on using MFW highschool next fall too. BUT....I think they are just saying that the work is WORTH 3 credits for YOU to write down on your student's transcript.

By the way....you don't need to have an accredited program to get your child into college. I know it is nice....but not necessary.
Carylee
mom2seven
homeschoolblogger.com/drawandwritehistorymom

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Hi Joanna,

I only started the daunting high school experience this year.

First of all let me say that in the U.S., "schools" are accredited not "curriculum." So unless you send a child to a school that has been accredited by a state team then those who home school do not have an accredited type eduction. Now that said, I do not believe that makes the home educated high schooler any less ready for college or his high school education inferior in anyway. Agreeing with Carylee(did not see her post until after I was finished).

Secondly, from your question I gather that you are thinking that MFW will keep transcripts and give a diploma. They are only a curriculum company and at this time do not offer that kind of service. In my state I have to be under some kind of an Independent Study Program. I have chosen one that is under a christian school that is accredited, but this will not make my child's classes accredited, but they will take my grades, produce a transcript, and give a diploma which all looks just like the ones given to students who attend that school. I do not know what you have to do in your state, but I would ask some home schoolers in your state what they have done. There are lots of very official looking transcripts and diplomas that can be made.

That brings me to my next thought. When choosing curriculum if you are looking for college prep, then you want to make sure that the material is that. This in a sense means that it meets standards for time spent on a subject (this would be an average time and will vary for different students). So for instance as MFW is piloting their programs, they are making sure that the average amount of time that it takes students to complete assignments in bible, history, and literature/composition meets the standards that are used by most schools for a semester's worth of work. This is about 60 hours per semester. Again it may take some students a little more and some a little less time. I think that what I am learning is that I have to make sure that I am not letting my daughter just skimp by or do the least amount just to get the information but I am hoping that what we have chosen will help her to think and prepare her for college as well as life.

In AHL, Marie gives some ideas of assignments that can or should be considered for taking a grade for each subject. Math and Science are very objective subjects and easier to grade for daily work, quizzes(if your text has them) and tests. So in other words, you give the grades for all of the subjects. If they complete the assignments in AHL and complete a year's worth of math(pre-algebra, algebra I etc.) and/or science (biology, chemisty,etc.) with passing grades then they earn the credits.

So here is what I have done. I have made a 4 year plan for the kind of subjects that are required not only by my state but for entrance into college since that is where she is headed. Of course this plan may change or be adjusted or added to as we go along but it gives me some direction.

I know this is long and may have answered more than was in your post but I do hope it will be helpful. Keep asking more questions too as you need to.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

kellybell

Unread post by kellybell » Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:59 pm

Lucy, thanks for your thoughtful answers. I always look forward to your insight.

I just got done reading (it took a while) Barb Shelton Edtl's High School Form-U-La. It helps you keep track of high school and is more designed for someone doing something "eclectic" but I took away a lot of good ideas. I'm sure we'll use some of the forms in this book.

I also attended a (quite intimidating) high school prep class for homeschooling parents. I left with my head spinning.

From these two sources, here is my generic (ie. not really MFW) answer to this question.

1. In a typical high school, there is one credit hour per finished year-long course. A year-long course is 180 50-minute class periods. Most homeschoolers agree that the 50 minutes in class certainly isn't efficiently used whereas a homeschooler (who doesn't have to take role, discipline the thugs in the back row, send a kid to the office, or do fire drills monthly) gets things done quicker. Depending on who you listen to or read, a "credit" can be 120-140 60 minute hours. This is a good rule of thumb for non-traditional classes or "sampler" classes. Perhaps your child is doing a "cooking class." Have her simply keep track of hours and when she's reached 120 (or 140 or something in between) you have one credit. You might want to add rules like "no repeat recipes unless you bombed the first attempt" or "you must develop a cookbook." Whatever. For a "sampler" class you could mix spelling, grammar, literature, and whatever to be "English." Have her keep track of those hours. Make sure it's high school level work (not too hard or too easy). Lucy referred to this when she said that sixty hours of a course is a semester (or a half-credit).

2. Another option is to use a traditional high-school level textbook. For example, a Saxon math book that was successfully completed in a year is a credit. Same with an Apologia high school level science book.

3. Lucy sort of alluded to (but didn't really say outright) that there is a difference between requirements for high school graduation and what colleges accept. If your child is heading to college, it might help to visit the college's website (or if undecided, get a sampling for possible colleges) and see what they require for admission, which is most likely more than what the local public school requires for graduation. I looked at this a month or so ago and am not looking at my notes, but most colleges want about 3 years of English, 2 years of science -- one being a lab, 4 years of math, 3 years of social studies, 2 years of foreign language (preferably the same language instead of 1 year each of two different ones), and some electives. Some want a PE.

What we're going to do is list what we want our dc to accomplish, which includes the basics but also such things as completing a First Aid course and basic car and home maintenance. Then, she can get it done in three years (yea, right) or four (more likely) or even five (fine with me).

HTH
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).

MJ in IL

Planning high school

Unread post by MJ in IL » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:00 pm

winni wrote:Where can I get some good information on: what is required to graduate high school (homeschool style, of course); how to give my children the best advantages for getting into college to wherever they want; how do children get scholarships?

Is the "College Without Compromise" book a good choice? I really need something that explains it all without too much difficulty. :o)
Thanks!
Tracey-
I have College Without Compromise and am slowly working through it. I am hoping to get some planning done the upcoming week and am taking that, a copy of my state's high school reqs., and a few other books to read.

HSLDA also has some general high school info on their site. I think looking at a few possible college entrance requirements is a good idea too.

Inge Cannon just did a Transcript seminar at our homeschool convention, but I wasn't there. I have seen a part of it on DVD ~ it was very detailed...a bit overwhelming for me at the time. Good food for thought I did get from the IC DVD:
- You can think about transcripts by year or by subject. That was new info to me and helpful as dd has already taken a high school speech course and can get a partial credit for gov't with a program at our state capital she took part in.
- She also has a lot on how to use/document life for credits... e.g. I don't need to "teach" home ec as we do plenty of life skills around here; she could probably get an ag-type elective credit for the gardening and animal work we do on regular basis.
- She mentioned recording skills attained and time spent for typical credit hours.
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

cbollin

Does it matter that MFW is not accredited?

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:26 pm

mikesherry wrote:Does it matter that MFW is not accredited?
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:49 am
My church's elementary school was not accredited for many years and they were using abeka and ASCI materials. They did end up going through the accreditation process and are now accredited. It is a peer review and long process.

I think one of the best resources out there for a lot of these questions can be found on HSLDA's Homeschooling through High School website.
http://www.hslda.org/highschool/

Just because a student goes to a school that is accredited does not mean the child will be prepared for ACT or SAT's either :)

MFW's high school program is being written for college prep. :)

One of the nice things with many of MFW's recommendations for science, math, and lots of research and writing is that they are using materials that are going to get you there.

-crystal

RJ's Momma

Unread post by RJ's Momma » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:28 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:01 am

Something else to look at is that 2 Hazells have or are going to college right now. They have been through their own program and been able to get into college.

Shannon:)

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:29 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:35 am

I remember first starting out homeschooling 13 years ago and having some of the same concerns that you have. Relatives can be fearful. Those three children that I first started homeschooling have all graduated and gone on to college.

We used different curriculum throughout the years. They always tested well on their standardized tests. (In North Dakota homeschoolers are required to test in grades 4, 6, 8, & 10.) I kept track of their classes and made a transcript. I only put courses that earned high school credit on the transcript. I had Trascript Pro and Homeschool Easy Records. Both are software that will print out a nice transcript. Our children also took the ACT and I put those scores on the transcript.

All three children go to different colleges. None of the colleges questioned anything on their transcripts. I was so prepared, especially for our first son, and had course descriptions ready in a nice portfolio with some of our son's work. They never asked to see it. I think that colleges have found that homeschool children are very prepared for college.

I am really enjoying MFW with my 6 year old son. It is everything I wished I had for the older three. I like the Charlotte Mason method of learning. We did MFW-1 last year and are looking forward to ADV this fall. I also have a 3 year old daughter who does the preschool learning toys MFW sells. She loves school and will not be left out.

I know alot and of alot of homeschool graduates who are living successful godly lives. There has been research done by Brian Ray that proves the success of homeschooling. It might be good for relatives to see that. Your can do a search on Brian Ray homeschool or go to www.nheri.org for research facts. I have confidence that your children will do great using MFW.

Blessings!
Kimberly

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:30 am

Hi Sherry,
I am going to speak from two fronts to your concern.

First, as a homeschool graduate myself (1991), I can tell you that I had absolutely no problem getting into any college I wanted as well as getting many scholarships. I didn't end up going but that's a completely different story. I took both the ACT and SAT and I can tell you the 2 years I was homeschooled prepared me much better than the 10 years spent in the public school.

Secondly as a parent of 3 homeschooled children, with in-laws who were both teachers and sent my husband and his sister to a private school. My children do extraordinarily well in school and standardized tests- which in CO is mandatory. My in-laws were VERY hesitant at first but now are probably our biggest supporters, not only because of our children's education achievements but because of their character. They recognize a huge difference in who our children are and what their values are. This has taken time but it was well worth the wait!

As for MFW, I have used MFW and it's suggestions for the majority of my children's education and it has proved to be a very academically challenging curriculum as well as helping my husband and I give our children a Biblical foundation and worldview.

This quote is from the HSLDA's website and may help in giving you some facts about the academic excellence found in homeschooling.
  • In 1997, a study of 5,402 homeschool students from 1,657 families was released. It was entitled, "Strengths of Their Own: Home Schoolers Across America." The study demonstrated that homeschoolers, on the average, out-performed their counterparts in the public schools by 30 to 37 percentile points in all subjects. A significant finding when analyzing the data for 8th graders was the evidence that homeschoolers who are homeschooled two or more years score substantially higher than students who have been homeschooled one year or less. The new homeschoolers were scoring on the average in the 59th percentile compared to students homeschooled the last two or more years who scored between 86th and 92nd percentile.

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:20 pm

I graduated from an unaccredited ACE school (K-12) and took CAT's every year. I did not even have to take the SAT to get into college, and had no trouble (at age 16) as an engineering student.

I'm continuing to pray myself about what to say to those worried and inexperienced people! :-)

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:36 am

mommy3boys wrote:Hi! We are into our fourth year with My Father's World, and could not LOVE it more. I was home schooled and earned my diploma, but had to use an accredited school. I would like to continue with My Father's World, but am torn about the fact that I would also like them to have a diploma.
You might enjoy reading on HSLDA's Homeschooling through High School information.
http://www.hslda.org/highschool/default.asp

Here's a link to the information specifically on diploma.
http://hslda.org/highschool/diploma.asp

MFW sells a parent resource book called College Without Compromise. It addresses some of the long term thinking with high school and beyond. Some parts of that book are written toward a much more conservative audience than I am, but good stuff in there.

-crystal

KimberlyND

Unread post by KimberlyND » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:32 am

Hello,

We have graduated 3 children from our homeschool. None had any problems getting into the college of their choice. We did give them a diploma that we purchased from HSLDA. But it was not something the college or university required. What they did require was a transcript. The universities have their requirements on course work which aren't hard to meet. To make our transcripts we used either Transcript Pro or Homeschool Easy Records. Both produced a nice transcript.
Kimberly in ND
MFW user since 2007, gone through K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CtG, RtR, Exp. to 1850, & 1850 to Modern Times
Using ECC 2014-2015 with an 8th grade son and 4th grade daughter
Have been HS for 19 years and graduated 3 dc.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:00 am

Agreeing with everything said. These days, the "words" in the graduation lingo sometimes need to be sorted out to see your options:

Graduation = achieved when a student has completed the course of study required in a school -- public, private, or homeschool. The requirements for achieving graduation are decided by that school and no one else. Schools have standard policies, but they must be loose enough to accommodate transfer students, special needs students, advanced students, etc.

Graduation requirements = what you require a student to accomplish before you graduate them from your school. Requirements often include specific classes, grade average, community service, or testing. Your state may or may not require homeschoolers to teach certain things to students at certain ages; if so, you clearly must teach those things. Some colleges, especially state colleges, may be looking for certain items on a transcript. But none of those needs to be included on your transcript in any particular way or be required for graduation from your school -- unless you so choose.

State requirements = things your state requires regarding education, such as requiring children to attend school from age 7 to age 16, or requiring students to receive instruction in science every year.
Edited to add: After extensive discussion with a helpful legal assistant at HSLDA, I think I understand that between 2 and 5 states do have some "requirements" for homeschool graduation, at least during the years of compulsory education. They are all very basic, such as 4 credits of English during high school, and nothing as specific as "British Literature" or "Geometry." Two states did add a couple specifics like "American history, participation in government, and economics," phy ed & health, or "arts."

College requirements = things a college expects to see on an application to their school. These requirements might include specific high school classes (4 credits in English, etc.), grade averages, SAT/ACT test scores, extracurricular activities, personal recommendations, and a written essay. However, these "requirements" are balanced with other considerations -- how many applicants the school has, special achievements by the student, school diversity goals (in everything from gender to zip code), alumni status, etc. If required high school classes were not taken, typically no-credit, high-school-level courses must be taken before college graduation (at the same cost as credited courses). However, a more advanced course or a test can often be substituted for a requirement.

Diploma = a piece of paper you can provide your graduate. It usually includes the name of the school, the name of the student, the date of graduation, and your signature. You can order them online at the HSLDA link Crystal provided, Donna Young has some on her site, places like Office Depot may have forms for you to fill out, and there are other sites like Homeschool Diploma.com . Using nice calligraphy is fun, as is adding a shiny gold sticker or embossing stamp.

Accreditation = something an outside service awards to a specific institution; the outside service is considered to have expertise in evaluating institutions in a certain field. Accreditation is meant to show that the quality is adequate. For instance, hospitals can be accredited by hospital accreditation boards; if they are not, they might still be a hospital but some insurance companies may not pay or patients may not come. There is more discussion on that here: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?t=4895

Transcript = a list of what the student has accomplished in a certain school. A high school transcript would usually include a list of courses taken from 9th or 10th grade through graduation. Non-academic high school activities may also be listed. Grades are commonly included, though not always; colleges understand that grades have less meaning when there is only one student to compare with.

Official transcript = a copy of the transcript provided by the school official (you) in a sealed envelope, or mailed directly from the school (you) to the college or whoever requests it. This method just proves that the student has not altered it. Pressing an embosser into it is a cool option.

Graduation ceremony = a celebration of graduation. I wanted to mention that these days, homeschooled students often have opportunities to participate in a large commencement ceremony with a state homeschool group or local co-op. Of course, a private ceremony at home or at church is also nice. And some students skip it (I did).
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:12 pm

I plan to create my own transcript and issue my own diploma just like any small private school might.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

mommy3boys

Thank you for your input

Unread post by mommy3boys » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Thank you so much for your input. I am already feeling less stressed about this issue. I know it's still a few years before my oldest (12 yrs.) will even be thinking about graduation, but I like to have all of my ducks in a row if you know what I mean. Don't you just love My Father's World and all of the fabulous literature that the kids are taking in?

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:22 am

Dear mommyof3boys,

You have already been given lots of great thoughts to think about. I agree with them so I will not repeat here. I have 2 thoughts to add.

The first is that it is a good idea also to keep a portfolio of work completed by the student since as homeschools we may be called to "prove" that the work was actually done.

The second is I agree with Julie that each family sets the graduation requirements, which may include the state requirements as well as requirements of a particular college your student may want to attend. This can be looked into as you get closer to knowing what kind of college or degree the student will pursue. Some students may not be college bound and yet we may decide that although they are not,there are still certain things that we want them to learn before graduation.

Recently, I heard of a family that really thinks their daughter has aptitude to go to college, but she is just not interested. They are requiring her to go ahead and take the ACT now, because if she changes her mind down the road it will be much more difficult to do well on that test since much of it is now fresh in her mind.

I love that the MFW high school is academically strong but it's goal is to produce young adults who are mature in faith and have learned to think Biblically. I digress! My point is (I know you are glad I am finally getting to it!) we can add much more than what is "required" such as Ancient History, personal finance, and other special electives that will prepare students for life and for the specific interest they plan to pursue.

I am loving MFW high school for my daughter! My husband and I think she is getting way more than what is "required by the state" and are excited to be a part of helping her own a Biblical world view. We look forward to my son beginning next year.

Hope that helps as you think about these years to come!

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Bret Welshymer

High school credits

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:03 pm

As you make decisions please keep in mind the need to meet high school graduation and college entrance requirements. If you are willing to call our office (573-426-4600) we can help you think through possible solutions for meeting these requirements. A high school credit is approximately 150 hours of study (depending on whether your student is a faster or slower reader) in one subject area using high school level books.

dhudson

New High School Planning Guide

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Hey - I was just wandering around on the website and found they put on a new high school planning guide that look really helpful, especially as I have an 8th grader. I started looking at planning guides when my oldest was going into 6th so I could make sure he got what he needed in middle school for high school. Obnoxious, I know. :-)

Anyway, on the website click on Curriculum and then High School and then Planning Guide as well as the Suggested Four Year Course of Study. I thought it was helpful and am going to print it off. It would be a great thing to bring to convention to help you plan for high school.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

cbollin

MFW High School in state of VA

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:18 pm

rxmom wrote:We are finishing our 5th yr of MFW and oldest son is now in 8th grade and we are looking at all options for High School next year. Of course, we LOVE MFW and it is top on our list...prayerfully considering a few other things (online, local Community College, local classes, etc). I recently attended a transcript conference by local HS group. As I am still learning the facts wanted to check with you guys/gals to see if any of you have done this in Virginia.....for example,

1)can you really receive a whole credit for Bible?
2) What about "earth science"(per Va High School guideline)...we use Apologia and son will be doing Physical Science in 9th grade (we are doing General Science now in 8th grade)...
3) What about Geography?...not sure but think that may be a VA requirement as well.... looks like MFW spreads that over the 4 years but how do you record such on transcript? Just trying to figure it all out.....
Any advice?
Thanks,
Delcey :-)
Delcey,
I'm not in VA, but wanted to help on some of this..... in general.... hoping someone out there is in the Commonwealth and able to help you from that perspective.

In most states (VA included if I'm reading hslda site correctly), homeschoolers are not required to follow public school guidelines in order to issue a diploma. I'd encourage you to ask HSLDA on that to make sure. However, many homeschoolers do like to look at what is required in order to make equivalent courses in terms of numbers and similar titles so that college entrance needs are met. So I understand why you are looking at that source...

so what are those requirements for public school
here's standard
http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction ... dard.shtml
and advanced
http://www.doe.virginia.gov/instruction ... #electives

your child fits in the entering ninth grade in 2011-2012 and beyond... so look there... yes MFW fits the bill quite nicely. here's mfw's chart
http://www.mfwbooks.com/downloads/pdfs/ ... dy.pdf?r12

the only thing I"d check? look at what VT or UVA want to see for incoming freshman... and don't sweat it. I just looked, mfw meets or exceeds it. ;)

1. Bible - would be a general elective. it is possible that it would even meet the sequential credit. why wouldn't it be a full credit? I don't understand that? the workload is there in MFW. Is there something in the laws that it can't be used? Would they say that to a private Catholic school? I don't understand the concern. can you explain your concern a little more? thanks.

2. looks like earth science is not required. This is funny.. When I was a public school student in VA, it wasn't required either. I was top of my graduating class. Never took Earth Science. Took Biology in 9th, Chemistry in 10th, Advanced Bio in 11th, and Physics in 12th. VA is pretty clear that students have to take 3 lab sciences, from 2 disciplines.... and then they list earth science, bio, chem, or physics... Or is an important word. So... it doesnt' look like public schools require earth science, even if they do the Advanced Studies Diploma. So if you do Physical, then Biology, Chemistry and then Physics in senior year you should be fine even for the "advanced standard" and definitely with the standard. but yes.. there is some earth science in Apologia Physical.. but I wouldn't label the course as earth science....

3. Geography is not required for standard VA public school diploma...and not really in Advanced track either, but you can put it on transcript. AHL would meet the first of world history, and WHL would meet rest.
At the end of WHL, you can list geography as a "1/4 credit". At end of US2, you can list the other 1/4 credit.
or
you can wait until US2 and list .5 credit.
if you need a year credit if you're worried on the advanced track (but you shouldn't be worried), MFW lists another option for other .5 credit.

With homeschooling we aren't really confined to have to finish the course in a semester like that, so you don't have to list it until they finish the work. I know that's hard to believe sometimes...
so if you have AHL, and WHL... that's 2 history.. then you have the US part of it.. gov't econ... you're totally set in social studies without worrying on geography. just place it as .25 credit in those years. and it's ok. college might ask.. and the answer is that it was integrated with history study.

things that I'm seeing in the VA public school requirements that MFW is not meeting 2 years of health and PE... haven't they changed that by now? shudder. I still remember gym class and PE in 10th grade. so... MFW offers the health credit and then you might have to add in a little more -- CPR training... and then count hours for PE credit.

and you'll need to add in state history and state gov't.. that looks required. shouldn't be hard to fit in. grab Statehistory.net to do in summer course. and then in US1 during the US gov't credit, you can add in a self study on the VA state constitution... doesn't have to be full course... it just has to include state stuff while learning US gov't. that might be pretty easy to add in with a little bitty report...

-crystal
Last edited by cbollin on Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rxmom

Re: MFW High School in state of VA

Unread post by rxmom » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:27 am

Thank you so much, Crystal...you are a blessing and a wealth of information. Your H.S. experience sounds a little like mine--I did not take a so called "earth science" course but biology, chemistry, adv. bio., etc. You are correct about the word "OR" so I am thinking our apologia science plan is fine. I have no issues with Bible credit, of course. That sounds then as if it would count as an elective here in VA. Looks like three years of Foreign Lang. is required for "advanced" diploma but will look into that further. I was thinking we would do 2 years. I was 2nd in my h.s. class but do not recall getting an "advanced" diploma even though I was college-bound....this must be the way it is done now...I'm an old-timer (40 + y.o.) :-) .

I will continue to investigate further but after talking with hubby, we are probably going to go ahead with MFW as we have so been so very pleased with it. I will check out some college sites--great idea!
Have an wonderful week!
D :-)
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:19 am

I don't remember advanced diploma vs. standard either. I know there was college track in terms of which section of English we took or which teacher.... and when I graduated, they just started weighted GPA. always irked me that "advanced cake decorating" was weighted the same as "Physics".... and I never understand how I was ranked lower on weighted GPA when I took only college prep courses and go straight A's. oh well... none of that really matters.... I got into the college of my choice.

anyway... back to MFW and high school and little things I'm learning as we go along.....

something to talk about in terms of high school foreign language...... MFW uses Rosetta Stone... with MFW's plans, I'm confident that it is "high school" but not to the level that one would place out of college freshman class in that language.
that is no different than it was for me in public high school. I took either 2 or 3 years of French if I remember.... there was no way I would have placed out of college freshman foreign language with that course.

One of the more common negatives that you will hear about Rosetta Stone as high school credit, is that it will not get the child to place high on AP test, or to test out of freshman level course. Since I didn't have that as a goal in my high school... I was fine with RS and MFW plans as high school standard credit.

one of the universities in my city (a state one, not a private one) makes incoming students take a foreign language placement test if they took foreign language in high school and want to take the same language in college. It is to help those who would otherwise be wasting time in a 101 class to be able to start at 102, or 201 level in that language. I'm very confident my daughter would not pass to 2nd semester or 2nd year after taking RS in her language. I"m totally ok with that.. if she had to start at Russian 101.... what's the big deal? The material will not be impossible for her. It would not be too easy either. She's be a little bit ahead of the game.. and it'll be ok..... this is the university that for reasons that her father and I don't understand that she really really really wants to go to. really? kid? she wants to stay in town... (but mommy my ACT score would get me a really good scholarship and if I lived here... I wouldn't be in debt. my argument.. kid... God will provide.. expand your search options. LOL. I guess my husband and I are a little more snob factor on college than we realized... LOL)

I know some honmeschoolers are very anti RS because it doesn't get them placed out of freshman first semester... But I'm not worried on that. My college experience was the same. My public school French classes did not place me out of freshman year of French in college. so I took another language anyway. and started at 101. I know that the exposure to language I received helped me to be ready to learn a new language.

just thought I'd mention that...... since I'm just learning that part myself...

-crystal

Bret Welshymer

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:40 am

A .25 credit of geography is included in Year 2, World History and Literature. A .25 credit to .75 credit of geography is included in Year 4, US History 1877 to the Present. I would list geography on a transcript as .5 credit or 1 credit, depending how much you complete in Year 4, in 12th grade. It just makes more sense to put a credit on a transcript on the semester it is completed. From all I am hearing, it sounds like MFW high school will work well in VA. The benefits of the integrated Bible, history, and English in MFW high school has had a great impact on my kids preparation for being in college, both academically and spiritually. May God give you clear direction for your son.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:03 am

Bret Welshymer wrote:A .25 credit of geography is included in Year 2, World History and Literature. A .25 credit to .75 credit of geography is included in Year 4, US History 1877 to the Present. I would list geography on a transcript as .5 credit or 1 credit, depending how much you complete in Year 4, in 12th grade. It just makes more sense to put a credit on a transcript on the semester it is completed.
ditto to bret..

that's what I think too (accumulate the hours of work, then report when done....just like with PE and fine arts) ..... but guess what? my umbrella school is ok either way. LOL LOL they even have a way to report 1/4 credit.?

but yeah.. if I were doing my own transcript... geography would show up as completed in 12th grade.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:23 am

Bret Welshymer wrote: I would list geography on a transcript as .5 credit or 1 credit, depending how much you complete in Year 4, in 12th grade.
I went ahead and put 0.25 credit of geography on my son's 10th grade transcript, when I submitted it for his PSEO classes last spring. I didn't want that to get lost in the mix if he didn't do any geography in 12th grade or whatever. Neither of the 2 colleges questioned it at all. Almost all of the transcripts I've seen in real life are non-standard, so that's probably my perspective. Some public schools around here have trimesters or quarters, others have nontraditional names for courses, etc. I'm sure being really standard saves the colleges a few headaches, though.

Just joining in the conversation.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

rxmom

Unread post by rxmom » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:27 am

Thank you, Julie, Crystal, and Bret...we are praying and processing....
Blessings,
Delcey
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:04 pm

Just reading along as I'm in VA and will eventually need this info. Our oldest is only in 1st. I have hardly any idea what you guys are even talking about. LOL! (I sort of do, but haven't looked into any of that yet. ;) )

But, I didn't see in the VA laws that there are any different requirements for high school than lower grades. I'd probably call HSLDA to double check, but I like to call them. Ha, ha! Since the diploma won't be through the VA system, I would think what colleges want to see on transcripts is more important than what VA requires of their PS student. However, I'd like to think VA requires what most colleges want. So, that's probably a good guide. It's good to hear MFW fits the bill. :D
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along