Placement - OK to start MFW in High School?

lschalk

Placement - OK to start MFW in High School?

Unread post by lschalk » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Momof2kids wrote:We've been curriculum jumpers for a while now. I want to switch to MFW for high school though. We're planning on using Apologia for high school and I was also seriously looking at Notgrass. So MFW has Apologia and Notgrass for high school along with some other stuff for Bible and Literature and this looks really good to me!

So would we be ok jumping into MFW in high school? I like that MFW high school can be done independently and I like the selection of books used for the high school level.
We started our 1st year with MFW this last year, with our son in MFW High School. He has done very well. I would tell you to go for it.

Linda
Mom to 4 (15, 13, 6, 5)
MFW1st
MFWHS Ancient
MFWHS PILOT YR2

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:08 pm

Welcome to the board!

Just agreeing with Linda that this would probably work fine. The only area that you may want to make sure is being developed is their writing skills. MFW does teach this in high school but a student should have had prior writing instruction before this. This may be covered in your current curriculum but this is the only thing that I can think of.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

MLMB

Switch to MFW for HS

Unread post by MLMB » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:21 pm

Momto2 wrote:I hope I'm posting my question on the right board. I am very interested in MFW's HS curriculum. I have used Sonlight since the beginning, but then I really think I'd like to use MFW. Has anyone here used Sonlight up until HS and switched? If so, I would love to hear how that transition went.
Thanks!
Lisa
Hi, I used SL for 3,4,5,6. Before that I used FIAR. Now my boys are in MFW HS and they are loving it :-).

They love the lesson plan written to them and they have loved the books that MFW uses in AHL.

For the first time they feel like they are in charge of their learning, and they are not being dumbed down.

I know they have really taken off this year academically, I never dreamed they would be reading "The Iliad" or "The Odyssey" at 14 & 15, but not only are they reading them they are having discussions about the characters and how the "gods" of the Greeks differ from the God of the Bible.

So, all that to say, yes, it does work to switch to MFW in HS.

Mary
Mary , mom of seven
T-32, P-29, B-27, J-16, I-15, S-15, A-13
Homeschooler since 1988
Currently using AHL & WHL

DS4home

MFW Highschool Questions

Unread post by DS4home » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:53 am

cjgrubbs wrote:We've never used MFW before. I'm looking at starting for 9th. I really like the Notgrass selection.

I see on the Notgrass website that curriculum is for 1 year and gives 1 History credit, 1 English credit and 1 Bible credit. However, with MFW that same book is being broken up into 2 years and credits can be rec'd for both years. Therefore, I know things are being added in. And I actually prefer the 2 year study of world history but my questions are:
1. Are all the lit selections listed on the Notgrass site used over the 2 years? are others added in?
2. Can we successfully use the highschool program if we have never used MFW before?
Yes, you can most definately use MFW high school without having used it prior! The Daily Lesson Plans are very easy to read and follow, they tell you exactly what pages to read from what book, all laid out in a nice weekly grid format. The grid also includes other subjects like math and science, with blank spaces for you to fill in from whatever resource you are using for those subjects. It is very doable!!

Not all of the Notgrass books are used with MFW and yes, more are added in. In AHL the only Notgrass [literature] book used is Cat of Bub. The rest of the year is spent reading many other books like Iliad and Odyssey... I would say only about 1/4 of Notgrass is used the first year and 3/4 of it is used the second year in MFW. In the second year 6 of the Notgrass books are scheduled along with others.

I have really liked the way MFW scheduled this out over 2 years. It allows more time to really dive into this era and it also makes room to be able to spend the time reading through the entire Bible. Words can't even express how valuable that is!

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Re: MFW Highschool Questions

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:30 pm

Dawn basically explained everything, I think. I was just going to add that I don't really consider Notgrass to be a major resource in AHL (I see it as more of a WHL resource). Marie Hazell schedules all the pre-Jesus chapters in, but really to me the spine is the Old Testament, which is a LOT of reading. Then the support books are often apologetics/comparisons to the Bible, including the Pharaohs book (archaeology), the New Answers book (how does science fit with the Old Testament), the Usborne encyclopedia (hundreds of historical details, not the younger version), timelining (lots of details and review), and mapping (there are historical readings alongside each map). There is far more history there than in a year of Notgrass on its own, IMHO.

And although Notgrass is advertised as 3 credits, MFW doesn't use their schedule or their assignments except on occasion as they fit into the overall plan of AHL, so it's not a "Notgrass 3 credits" but a "MFW 3 credits using Notgrass as a resource."
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cjgrubbs

Unread post by cjgrubbs » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:19 am

Thank you, ladies, for your responses! Very helpful!

I have just never been able to figure out how to use MFW effectively with my children before. My oldest is an advanced reader with amazing math skills but despises artsy/crafty things and hates to write. My middle has been slow to read and very hands-on, loves to do crafts and average with math. They both LOVE science and the science built into MFW family cycle would never have satisfied them! But I'm excited about the possibility of using it with my oldest for highschool. His writing still needs lots of work so that is our goal for the next 18 months to get him ready for MFW highschool!
DS1 - 8th grade
DS2 - 5th grade
DS3 - 2nd grade
DD1 - 4 - home from China since March 2013

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:09 pm

Just about the hating to write thing...

My son is famous 'round these parts for being "allergic" to the pencil. I wonder if that's a big part of what you mean when you say he hates to write? I notice it is with a lot of boys, anyways. But hating to use a pencil doesn't have to mean the student hates to write. I have had a big focus composition over the years, without almost any use of the pencil. Mostly my son types, and sometimes over the years he even dictated to me while I typed. I just felt that learning to say what he wanted to say was so important that I wanted to separate it from the battle with the pencil.

And now that he's completed two college classes this past semester, I have been proud to see him use a pencil when needed. He told me to save his notes and frame them, because he knows himself LOL. But most of his actual college work (Latin and Math) has all been on the computer, or orally in class, so the pencil battle doesn't seem all that important, in the end. However, that doesn't mean that we didn't spend hours and hours on "writing" (i.e. composition, orally or on a marker board or at the keyboard etc.) over the years...
HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs