AHL - User tips for hurdles that first week of high school

kallykat

Re: help with High School

Unread post by kallykat » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Thank you all so much for your help- I looked over the students manual and followed the guides for the first few weeks and I think I have a handle on it now. Love all the content - I do believe we can do it, and hopefully I can convince my daughter. Looking forward to August.

Thanks,
Penny

cbollin

Question about AHL

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:53 pm

wy_kid_wrangler04 wrote:Has anybody added History of the Ancient World (by SWB)? If so, how do you schedule it in?

She is getting done in about 2 hours total. She is retaining everything and not rushing but this is not near enough for a full credit for 9th grade (this includes science, math- everything). I know we did bit of a rigorous schedule before now so I am not sure if that is why or not. I have math covered (we are adding in more from different programs and living books) I have science covered (extra Tiner books and papers) but I don't know what to do for history and lit to extend this. I bought the History of the Ancient World. I am loosely scheduling it now and plan on having her do 2 chapters a week. It won't line up perfectly but it will be fairly close-- I hope.
no help from me on making a schedule to correspond. sorry... didn't use that book... Personally.... if no one has one made already, I would assign the task to the 9th grader to line it up and plan it and count that as school day on the day she makes the plans. remember to schedule time to watch the dvd with the pharoah's book. I know getting the history reading was always too fast for us with notgrass. so I understand that part of it.

extending the literature portion....
after she finishes her AHL grid... remember to have her read anything (history, or classical books) to make up the rest of the academic hour. You can use any list. MFW has a lighter suggestion for fun reading with history (check the intro portion of the LP (lesson planner) for those lighter, but easy to finish for fun books). Or get a list such as the list in the SAT prep book that MFW sells. also.... do more of those critical thinking questions from the lit/comp guide as written work if she needs more to do. even if you go back and do some from another week.

what week are you in? that might give some insight if it's just one of those slower weeks and help brainstorm a bit.

that is really fast for all of 9th grade with math and science and AHL.... only 2 hours? wow. that is too fast.. I think I'd have her write more in Bible study, or outline the chapters or something.

what electives are you doing to add to the day?

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Question about AHL

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:32 pm

cbollin wrote:what week are you in? that might give some insight if it's just one of those slower weeks and help brainstorm a bit.

that is really fast for all of 9th grade with math and science and AHL.... only 2 hours? wow. that is too fast.. I think I've have her write more in Bible study, or outline the chapters or something.

what electives are you doing to add to the day?
I'm agreeing with Crystal, this is a little puzzling.

Do you have a super whiz kid? One of the Hazell boys was like that, and he did two Apologia sciences per year. I might do that rather than trying to add more here and there (unless you have something you really wanted to add). If she just goes through them faster, then she'll have time to get to some really interesting science electives. For example, I've always wanted to do a Bioethics class with my kids, but no time at my house.

Also math, if the program she's using doesn't take her over an hour per day, then she's probably placed at too easy a level and needs to move faster to get where she belongs. That's been the consensus at ds's math team over the years, anyways. Did she take a placement test, or just move forward from last year?

Okay, then there's AHL. I suppose I could read the average 5 chapters of the Old Testament and answer the questions in less than an hour, but I'd be afraid I wouldn't remember anything as it whizzed by. I like Crystal's idea of outlining or doing something to slow her down. Unless you really feel certain that's not necessary. There is a lot of meat in there, and often a lot of questions come up. You are preparing her to truly know the difference between the Bible and the other ancient texts this year. I feel similarly about the history. Adding the extra book may help, but to me AHL history is more about delving into apologetics and comparisons than it is about catching every historical detail, although those are of course good and are included through various means (DK book, timeline, mapping, some of Notgrass, etc.).

The literature part of AHL includes extra reading check boxes, starting at the beginning of the year I think. My son was in a book club, so that helped. Has she chosen her extra literature to add? And not sure if she's started her essays, but at my house, even the most prolific writer would spend some solid time on editing - I'd find ways to improve them even more :)

Okay, lastly, is she doing foreign language? That's one area you could add to -- a grammar workbook, or delve into those cultural projects more deeply. I have a bias that true learning of a foreign language requires a passion from within, not a program from without.

But if she's just on the first week, ignore all this. Marie always allows the student to ease into the year and get organized.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

wy_kid_wrangler04

Re: Question about AHL

Unread post by wy_kid_wrangler04 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Crystal, We are in week 3. I don't know if its just slow in the beginning or what. We are also doing Logic and Health, she will start band with the PS in Sept.

Julie, I will go through her work with her next week with all this in mind and go from there. I do have the SWB book so if we can use it that would be a plus.