Combining Younger Sibs - Scheduling alongside younger grades

Julie in MN

Combining Younger Sibs - Scheduling alongside younger grades

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:29 pm

Combining High School, ECC, & 1st
amylynn12 wrote:We are hoping to start in a couple of weeks. We are planning on using ECC for our 11 and 8 year olds, the high school program for our 14 year old. We also have a dd who just turned 6. She is begging me to finish MFW K. (We started it last year while going through a difficult pregnancy & never finished it). She is reading amazingly well, but is definitely still working on writing. We probably only finished about half of the K program last year. We do everything but the phonics.

I'm wondering if all three programs would be too much for me. On one hand, I'm so excited to start the year because I know what amazing curriculum MFW is, but on the other hand, I'm beginning to panic about starting the year. I'm just worried that I may not be able to pull it all off. Should I just continue with K with the 6 year old until we finish it, or should I start her in 1st? I wouldn't be comfortable using ECC with her (other than her joining her sisters for the activities). I also feel that I might be cheating her to not let her finish K because she truly enjoys it & so do I. We also have a 3 year old, who enjoys joining in with K and ECC. :) We have the fun preschool activities for her to do as well. I also have a 5 month old baby.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. :)
Blessings!
Amy in Oregon

[editor's note: see the end of the story below]
I think that doing MFW-K & then 1st with your 6yo will be basically doing the same thing that was mentioned - giving her math and language arts at her level. And it sounds like it will be a special time with mom for her, which she remembers fondly from last year :o)

High school is intended to be quite independent, with the manuals written to the student. When you have a light Friday with ECC, you will have time for your weekly meeting with the high schooler.

I imagine there will be a learning curve, but eventually I think it will be smooth sailing. Just about the opposite of most things I tried (before MFW high school was written)!
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

MJ in IL

Unread post by MJ in IL » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:54 am

I think it's doable! I am doing AHL, 1850-MT & K right now. It is a full day for me...especially since I have a "routine disorder." I just can't seem to stick to one well. ;) We have had 2+ successful weeks so far!

I started the boys (year5) on math and spelling the 1st week while I worked on AHL with dd14. This worked out well. She needed the initial time and guidance. The 2nd week she really did well on her own. I don't often get to K until later in the pm but dd5 has been patient about waiting for "her time."
Molly
dd14 enjoying AHL; ds12 & ds10 in RtR & dd5 working through K!
have done K (2X), 1 (2X), ECC, CtG, & 1850MT

amylynn12

Unread post by amylynn12 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:23 pm

I feel much better. It sounds very possible to balance the 3. I think we can make it work. I had forgotten about the high school being more self led. :)

Thank you all again! :)
Blessings!
Amy in Oregon

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:18 am

Julie in MN wrote:I think that doing MFW-K & then 1st with your 6yo will be basically doing the same thing that was mentioned - giving her math and language arts at her level. And it sounds like it will be a special time with mom for her, which she remembers fondly from last year :o)

High school is intended to be quite independent, with the manuals written to the student. When you have a light Friday with ECC, you will have time for your weekly meeting with the high schooler.

I imagine there will be a learning curve, but eventually I think it will be smooth sailing. Just about the opposite of most things I tried (before MFW high school was written)!

Just agreeing with all that Julie has said. This will be a full year for you but I think doable. In MFW 1st you will probably need to scale back on some of the extra activities and you can have her join in with the olders in ECC for science. Just make sure to add lots of library books at her level and just let her draw a picture for the days lesson.(If this is too much, since she will also eventually be drawing in her bible notebook, then scale it back and just let her enjoy the reading and experiments.)

Prayers and grace to you,

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:08 am

MJ in IL wrote: It is a full day for me...especially since I have a "routine disorder." I just can't seem to stick to one well. ;) We have had 2+ successful weeks so far!
LOL!! I relate. You guys are my heros though. God has called you to do it and he will be faithful to help you fulfill it! He works and wills for his good purpose to be done in us and through us. Recently I have been reading Oswald Chamber's and his reminder to keep myself looking to the source of the river has impressed on me my ever deepening need of and dependance on Him. So here is a special cheer to you all who are doing multiple levels of learning in your home.

Now here is a cheer for all of you who have answered His call on your life to school your kids at home this year. No matter how many kids or what levels you may have God will help you to do it.

May you all be blessed as He leads each of you in this endeavor for this season. May we call on Him when we feel we can not go on and when we have a great day and things go just right may we praise Him and thank Him for making it so. May we learn to pray without ceasing and to give thanks in everything.

I thank God for this community that has so often given me encouragement.

With joy and gratitude,
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

amylynn12

Weekly Report/Check In

Unread post by amylynn12 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 am

4Truth wrote:I'd love to see your daily schedule, Amylynn! It won't be long before I have 3 diff levels going here. Oh, how I hate that they're growing up so fast!
I know what you mean. I can't believe I already have one in high school. %| How did that happen so fast?

Truly, I almost feel as if we only are using 2 levels because of how the High School level is self-led. We discuss what she is working on each day & we have a meeting each Friday to go over everything she did during the week. I have learned so much from our discussions & it gives me a feel of how much she is absorbing. :) We are really pleased with this program & look forward to year 2.

So, other than that, I work in the mornings with our dd who is working on K. Many times our 3 year old likes to sit in & listen & do the fun projects, too. During that time, the older girls work on their Math & Writing.

Once we finish up with K, I work with ECC with the older girls. I really do need to focus on a better schedule for school. The reasons I didn't mention times that we do each subject is because we never seem to do them at the same times each day. I'm still juggling chores, projects, naps & haven't found a rhythm to our day. I need work on that. :~
Last edited by amylynn12 on Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amy in Oregon
Working on:
MFW K: Karly (5)
ECC: Kyla (11) and Khloe (8)
Karissa (14) joining some ECC and a mix of other things. :)
MFW Highschool: Kaylee (17)
Preschool fun with Katie (3)
Anxiously awaiting another blessing on the way (Due Sept 2011) :)

cbollin

Teaching Multi-Levels

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:15 pm

thesummerfields wrote:This was my first year using MFW curriculum and it has been a huge blessing. I am looking ahead to next year and thinking about what levels I will be trying to do at the same time and wondered if I could ask a few questions. Here is what I need to be able to do in a day:
Teach my 5 year old MFW Kindergarten
Teach my 3rd Grader and 5th grader in ECC
Oversee my 10th grader's MFW World History and Literature.

So far this year I was able to seamlessly add in the MFW preschool activities in with my little guy WHILE doing school with the other 2 (we did adventures this year). When looking at the sample for K I realized I likely won't be able to do that WHILE I am doing ECC with the older two boys. So what does everyone here recommend?

I thought of doing K separately but how much time should I allow for K? I don't want to spend HOURS and HOURS each day doing school all separately. I like to get school done by 1pm or sooner each day and sometimes it can take as long as 2pm and we are still all ok with that.

The oldest does most her work independently and I just check in with her before she starts her day of work and we discuss what her goals are, what she will be studying, and then she comes to me if she has problems or wants to share something special. Then we have a weekly meeting where we discuss her performance on quizzes etc and we talk over what she learned and how that will be helpful later in life or right now etc.

I am so thankful to have found the right curriculum fit for our family. I see spiritual growth in every member of this family thanks to this curriculum!<3
When I taught ECC and Kindy..... my youngest was in Kindy, and I did it in about three 10-15 time boxes a day. We did Kindy math routines as wake up and get breakfast time. Right after breakfast, Kindy kiddo and I worked on phonics/language arts for 10-15 minutes. She was ready to go play. I taught ECC and other stuff to other girls (7th and 4th) for 1.5 hours or so.... then little gal would be ready for more attention. We would either play with her in the Kindy activities, or do a craft/music together from ECC at that time.
some nights - it was 10 minutes of kindy activity in the evening. my penguin was one of those.... and you can read in this linked post that I had one of those "didn't plan well days"
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... uin#p46103

read alouds in ECC - usually evening.

As you're already experiencing... you'll set aside some time for check in and conference with high schooler. I know this year my husband has helped more than ever - especially since I have a very part time job of being a group fitness teacher.

oh... and although my youngest has autism and it might look in writing that we didn't do a lot each day (30 minutes? really? ) I was amazed last night when we saw my new 2nd edition Kindy manual and opened to one of the units (apple, unit 4) and her eyes lit up seeing her Bible words again....... (now there is a funny story with it... but it showed me last night how much she was touched in the Kind program even from the little bit I could do)

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: Teaching Multi-Levels

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Hi to another Julie,
I can get crazy on the links, but I always think there might be a nugget in there that's perfect for your family. So here goes...

Will MFW work for a large family? http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1011
Combining K alongside an OLDER program http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1312
Is MFW-K possible with a large family? http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4863
Combining ECC and younger child learning to read http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6727 (3 pages on there!)

Hope something in there is helpful to you. I have no personal experience to offer, other than the fact that your ending time depends on your starting time and is affected by things like how many breaks you like to take, how much you need to hunt for books, etc. I'd expect the 5th grader to need about 4 hours dedicated to schoolwork? Not including those lovely light Fridays ;)
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

thesummerfields

Re: Teaching Multi-Levels

Unread post by thesummerfields » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Crystal: Thank you. It is good to know I can split it up a little. I am hoping to use small breaks for the older kids to go do chores or get a snack while I work with the youngest. I didn't want to set aside over an hour with just one child while nothing else was getting done. I had thought about starting school about 30 mins earlier than normal with the youngest and then have the other older boys do their morning chores and then start with simple independent things like practicing spelling words, memorizing their scripture, or writing while I am busy with the younger one. Once I am done with the younger child I can dive into the interactive topics with the older ones. That way something is still getting done while I focus on the younger one.

Thanks for the reply. I did finally see on the MFW K page that it takes 60-90 mins approx. So that was helpful too.

Julie: Yes, that is quite helpful, thank you! Very nice to read about how it works for others. I think from the very beginning of starting MFW curriculum I have been so impressed with how DOABLE it always is. For one it is very thorough and in depth but nothing is overwhelming or complicated to where you are tempted to not do it like most curriculum I have tried. That is such a refreshing aspect to MFW.

I know next year will be just as good as this year was I just have to figure out what works and how to tweak things for our family dynamics each year.:) Thanks for the help!
Julie~
Holden age 7~ MFW 1st Grade, modified to use Barton for reading portions for dyslexia
Evan 6th & Toby 4th~ Rome to Reformation
Sierra 11th~ U.S. History to 1877