Science - Which courses to take when?

ilovemy4kids

Re: Jr High/High School Science

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Thu May 24, 2012 8:48 am

rjsmomma wrote: 1. Earth/Space - I really haven't seen much on the market for this on the high school level - recomendations?
2. Biology
3. Physical Science - which I believe Chemistry and or Physics will cover.
Apologia - the combination of General, Physical, Biology, Chemistry and Physics will cover all of the above subjects! You will be right on course.

We are in Kansas, too. We have researched this same issue. Apologia covers all the bases. Plus it is very solid. DS 15 has completed General, Physical, Biology and is now finishing Chem next week. Last year, in the middle of taking Biology, he literally scored in the 100th percentile on the Stanfords for science and also did very well on the PSAT and the PLAN tests. Colleges keep calling us and I have to tell them he still has a couple of years left.

Our next DD is finishing Physical Science next week. She didn't score as high as her brother, but still did well. Honestly, Apologia is very sound.

General Science was an adjustment for all of my kids. We didn't do formal science before general. Just a lot of books and fun stuff and nature stuff outside. Certainly no textbooks! It is all working out fine.

The strength of Apologia, in my opinion, is that teaches the student how to think about information they are presented with, not to just accept something as a fact because some PHD said it is a fact. They really learn how to use the scientific method, how to reason, and how put what they've learned to good use. They learn how what they are learning relates to everyday life and the world and discoveries around them.

Okay, I'm done! :)
Sandra

rjsmomma

Unread post by rjsmomma » Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks everyone. I did look into the two most likely colleges she might attend. Both colleges will accept a 'Non-accredited Private School' (aka homeschooler) student based on an ACT score of 21 or higher. They both are looking for at least 3 credits of science, one of which needs to be Chemistry or Physics. Looks like earth/space is an option for one of the other two, but not required. Fort Hays even allows for general or physical as one. So I think I'm good with this, I won't do earth/space if we don't have to. I would like to get in 2 biology classes for her (which both schools allow, and we very well may do that through the Community College).

I'm really not a science person, or at least not when it comes to textbooks. We loved all hands-on, nature science, but this learning it from a textbooks has nearly done us in this year. We've done all of it together (though I keep trying to give it to her, but she is having a hard time comprehending much of it - and she's a fairly strong reader) and even at that I'm not sure she caught any of it. Tests didn't go well at all. I am more interested in her understanding what we've learned than spitting out facts for a test, but want her to also learn how to take a test, so we are still working on this. I'm thinking of handing her the book with the mp3 audio of it next year and seeing if looking at the book AND hearing it will help with that. Oh, she loves the experiments and does those on her own (well, she shows me what she's doing, but isn't asking me to tell her what to do) and we even found that the ONE type of writing she doesn't mind is writing out experiment findings :-) . Go figure!!!

I just want her to understand what we are doing and get something from it. Thanks
Shannon Meyer
DD - 13 years old - 7th grade
Used MFW for K, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, and now 7th:)

Wendy B.

Unread post by Wendy B. » Thu May 24, 2012 10:05 am

If she is truly interested in Vet school. Chemistry 2 would give her a stronger science/math background then a second biology course.

Transitioning to a textbook learning program does take time. It will get better!

Good luck with your studies!
Wendy B.
Graduated ds '08 & dd '09
Homeschooling ds 11 & dd 8 using RtR
completed: MFW 1, ADV, ECC & CtG.

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu May 24, 2012 10:36 am

Apologia Physical Sci has a lot of earth science in it - tectonic plates, weather, and all of that. I wonder if you added it up whether it would even be one semester of earth science, so you could show that she took care of that in 8th grade?

There is an online (and amazingly free) way of doing Apologia, using Virtual Homeschool Group, feel free to email me if you find it of interest. I was thinking if she could get her bookwork done more quickly, maybe that would give her a bit more time to delve into the things she loves about science, even follow her own ideas for developing some science projects.

Just a couple of thoughts,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Julie in MN

Question about Apologia Chemistry

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:41 pm

luv2tch wrote:I have a dd who will be 11th grade and is a bit behind on the MFW science schedule, due to previous school schedule. She will be taking Apologia Chemistry this year. I have a ds who will be 9th grade and has done Apologia Phys Science last year. He has also completed Algebra 1, which Apologia lists as a pre-req for Chemistry.

I am considering having him switch Biology and Chemistry around, and doing Chem this year, so that he and his sister could do it together. I thought it might make labs, studying easier for them and me, and more enjoyable to have a partner. They are both very good at science and get along well. Next year I would have my ds do Biology as a 10th grader (which my dd did this past year). Does anyone have any thoughts on whether there would be problems with doing this? Is there any reason a student should have biology before chemistry? Also, could they share a book/CD or would it be better if each had their own. Any feedback is welcome!
To be honest, I think Chemistry is hard. Although my ds used something we had and not Apologia, so maybe Apologia leads you through more gently? Chem typically has a lot of math, starting with balancing equations, and then factoring in weights of molecules, and complicating it with things like alternative +/-/0 forms of the same element, and finally getting into mixtures that have different percentages of different elements or are under different conditions like temperature and water dilution. And besides the math, there are a lot of groups and word combinations to keep track of. I'm just saying, for me it takes a lot of concentration, and for a 9th grader it might be hard?

You could always start them together and have Plan B in mind if it gets out-of-hand? Plan B might be just doing chem experiments this year, or moving over to Biology, or something else. I do like my son to have a lab partner, and science has always been better when I have been able to line that up.

Hopefully I've bumped you up and someone who has done this will chime in,
Julie

luv2tch

Re: Question about Apologia Chemistry

Unread post by luv2tch » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:59 pm

Thanks, Julie! I've thought the same thing about Chem being hard! He is a good math student, but it's still a lot to figure out. I was hoping his sis could maybe help him some if necessary. I like your idea about Plan B in mind. I already have the Apologia Biology book and could probably switch him over if it was just too much. Thanks for the feedback--anyone else have a thought on this?
Thanks!
Rhonda--Married 19 years to David
Traded classroom teaching for homeschooling!
Currently: C2G, AHL, and US 1
dd, 11th grade
ds, 9th grade
ds, 6th grade
"His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness..." 2 Peter 1:3

Julie in MN

9th Grade Science

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:36 pm

TammyB wrote:My other decision to make regards science. Should I have him do physical science in ninth or go straight to biology? He has done beautifully with general science (completely independent, A's on all tests). I'm thinking physics will be tougher without the physical science background, but he is seriously interested in a medical career, so I want to make sure to leave room for advanced biology if there is time.
Well, I'll chime in but I hope someone else does, too!

So, if he did General in 8th, right?, then he doesn't have time to do Physical this year? I ask because it sounds like he's done with General, not still working on it?

If Physical isn't done before high school, I guess these are my thoughts:

1. It isn't the end of the world if all the sciences don't get in. I think the solid math foundation (both in skills and endurance) contributes far more to an easy transition into college, especially after watching my oldest and his friends in engineering.

2. However, because Apologia Biology doesn't cover Anatomy (it's in their Biology 2), it would be nice to get anatomy in before college for a future medical student.

One option would be to cover anatomy in the Health elective, although it's the Junior High version of Health that has more anatomy -- not sure if you can fit that in this year (of course it could be adapted for high school, but might be more work for you). Another would be a free-time/summer hobby of watching the Teaching Company lectures on Intro to Anatomy & Physiology some time before college (it's a huge, expensive set, but some libraries carry it). There are also anatomy coloring books that teach a little. I like the Dover one because it's cheap and do-able, but there are gigantic ones as well.

Oh, if your son has done General, he has intro-Anatomy covered!

3. Since your son did so well in General, I think it's perfectly possible for him to jump into Biology in 9th and do Biology 2 in 12th. It's a leap, yes, especially in the area of Vocab, but he seems up for it.

4. If you don't do Physical, that could be the free-time/summer hobby right before Physics in 11th grade. He'd remember more of it that way, anyways -- doing Physical in 9th and Physics in 12th means a lot will be forgotten in between. Apologia is pretty readable, and he might be into science reading, especially as he nears age 18?

I like brainstorming :)
Julie