Parent Meetings - What do yours look like?

cbollin

Parent Meetings - What do yours look like?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:47 am

High school...what do your weekly meetings look like?
Teresa in TX wrote:We've loved AHL!! Here we are, dd is doing week 29, and I'm still struggling with getting the weekly meeting done and what all to cover. With the new baby, I feel like I'm just barely getting her work graded. I just want to hear from some who feel they're getting a lot out of their weekly meetings with their kids what it looks like, what your discussions are, etc.

She's doing Daniel right now, so we talk about that quite often, but I feel like I do more talking. She is growing spiritually by leaps. and. bounds this year, but she's just not a big talker in those areas, kwim? We discuss what she is learning in history, Biblically from what she is reading and from the world around her, ideas she's learning through reading The Odyssey, etc., but I feel like we aren't as successful as I'd like to be with it...something is missing.
Teresa,

We don't start AHL until July. But as I read through your other post on high school testimony, I had an idea for conversation that might (or might not) be that missing thing

One, this may be hard to believe about me, but I'm one of those people in real life who just listens in Bible studies. very seldom do I speak up in class. Doesn't mean I'm not thinking. It just means I'm slow to process and share about things that I'm still thinking about. So.....

What if at your weekly meetings you talk with your daughter about how it is going at leadership with the younger kids she is helping? Talk to her about the challenges with that and encourage her there. maybe she'd like to talk about those things. Or dealing with others at the local school, etc.
maybe that's the part of the spiritual growth that she'd like to talk and work through.

maybe not?

-crystal

tiffany

Re: High school...what do your weekly meetings look like?

Unread post by tiffany » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:56 am

Teresa,

I too have struggled with the weekly meeting, and I think she really needs it. We were doing well with it at the beginning of the year. Then the multiple illnesses hit. I felt like we were sick all school year. It is tough to get to everything when you feel you are in survival mode. I had just started to really get back to that accountability with her, and then we were sick for the month of March, and I haven't fully recovered from that yet.

One problem we had, was that Friday was the most natural day in our family schedule for me to conference with her. Well, she had an art class in the afternoon, that I hated for her to miss. We will have to rethink that. We will tighten things up these last 7-8 weeks of school, and I know she will be doing math and science over summer, maybe Spanish too. Overall, I think she has done very well, and most of the boxes have been checked off. But, she really could have used more oversight from me. Dad would be willing to step in, but when we're dealing with whole house sickness, he's needed in so many other areas.

So, anyway, you're not the only one who feels maybe they've fallen short of the mark. I'm going to pick this tired body back up, dust it off one more time and get back in there. I'll be praying for God's help of course.

I will say I think the HS course is excellent and I can't imagine what would have been going on during our sick days, if we didn't have something so well laid out. I feel the Hazell's have done an excellent job. I feel like I was able to provide my daughter with a top-notch, spirit driven education, even though I wasn't able to provide as much guidance as I would have liked.

Thankfully, there was a break in the amount of compositions during our craziest time. That worked out well for us. She needs extra assistance with the grammar lessons and editing. She'll be doing her Iliad paper soon.

This post is a bit random and not as cohesive as I would like, but I wanted to respond. Hope to encourage you.
Tiffany
Wife to Tim ('88)
Mother to Sophie 16, Jonathan 14, Joey 12, Noah 10, Matthew 8, Eli 4
Have completed MFWK, MFW 1st grade, ECC, CTG, RTR, Exp.-1850,1850-Mod., HS Ancients, HS World
Fall of '11 ECC,HS Ancients, HS U.S. History to 1877

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:06 am

Thanks, Crystal and Tiffany!!

Crystal, that is a good idea. Just discussing the things that she needs to talk about would be beneficial. I have perfectionist tendencies (but not of the good sort). I think there is this "perfect" way to do things then I will get paralyzed and do nothing for fear of doing it wrong. :~ We do talk about what she's learning. I just feel I don't do it "right". We're not having the great talks I had hoped. We have had a few, but I'm having a hard time figuring out when to do them and how to fit them in.

Tiffany, yes the high school course is excellent. I had no idea what a difficult year I'd have being pregnant and I feel like AHL was perfect for us for that reason. Most of the growth dd has gone through has had little to do with her mother this year. ;) It was the right thing at the right time. I think this year has enabled me to see how God really is strong when I am weak...I've done such a better job all around in years past!!!! But you know what? It was a great year in spite of me!! That is a cool thing and quite a comfort!!!!! We too have a hard time finding the right time to do the weekly talks. We are super busy and no time seems to work. I'll pray for you that things line out well also!! Sorry there has been so much sickness. :(
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

LA in Baltimore

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:22 pm

Since my high schooler requires more one on one time with me with math we actually have a shorter daily meeting rather than one larger weekly meeting. This has worked for us and if a day gets 'crazy' and we don't get to it, it's ok because we only miss one day, not a week. We always go over his math and then discuss whatever he is currently working on. Sometimes he shares, sometimes I do more talking. It is what has worked for us this year.
Only by His grace,
LA in Baltimore
Currently enjoying Rome to the Reformation
Graduated oldest May 2010, Three more to go!

cbollin

brand new here and high school questions

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:17 pm

JOYFULFARMGIRL wrote:For a 9th grader that is particularly sensitive to godlessness, I am concerned about her reading about these topics in AHL on her own for a week and then meeting with me at the end of the week. Can anyone share on this? Also am I correct that AHL does not cover the Romans? Also in the next year that begins with the Romans, in which time period does it leave off? I was really hoping to cover all of the ancients in one year. Thank you!
JFG
There's no reason you can't have a daily conference. There were plenty of times that my daughter would talk and talk all day about what she was doing. still does. I'm thankful to have the opportunity to talk with my child about all they will encounter. My teen was seeing how much ancients time and literature are reflected even now in culture. So it was a lot nicer to be able to talk about all of that important stuff. Made things easier when there was a teen at our church who committed suicide... and when her cousin became a father outside of marriage, and another cousin who is expelled from public school for well.. well.. we think he was joking that he was making plans for the next columbine... or really talking about current events with one major fast food chains decision that will cost them business..

One thing that I like about MFW is that it isn't just reading this stuff... but lots of critical analysis to compare to scripture, where a lot of godlessness is as well. I know one person who thought the Bible and English readings in MFW were too "r rated". But my experience is that I want to have these discussions in my house before she leaves home and have those conversations at a more adult level.

AHL covers the time frame of Old Testament.
WHL starts with New Testament time frame and that's when you get the Roman feel, and church history start. goes to "modern" world to 1970's ish.. time frame. Then in US1 we'll go more in depth with modern

-crystal

DS4home

Re: brand new here and high school questions

Unread post by DS4home » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:30 pm

We had discussions on more of a spontanious schedule, sometimes daily. We were usually in the same room or at least area of the house, so when my dd would make a comment about her reading as she was doing it, I would hear her. I'd ask what she was reading about and she would pause and talk it out a bit. It was good. Because of that we didn't always get to the scheduled Friday conference, but when we did, we used it for more of an overview of the week, bigger picture kind of talk.
I have loved the scope and sequence of the MFW high school years. Spending a year in ancients was very grounding for the first year of high school. The next year we call "world history" on our transcripts. Then comes American history - split over two years. Spending a semester on Gov right when our nation was putting that together is genious! !? Around here we only need 2 history credits in high school, so the rest is extra. But it just makes sense to do a whole 4 year history cycle in their final years of school, at least to me anyway ;)

Dawn
Celebrating our 28th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(9th).

2018: AHL for the 4th time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:39 pm

cbollin wrote:There's no reason you can't have a daily conference.
One thing that I like about MFW is that it isn't just reading this stuff... but lots of critical analysis to compare to scripture,
Agreeing with these. I've typed before about how I have read one major text aloud to my son in 9th and 10th grade, plus we like to do major portions of the Bible as a family. Just the way we do it at our house.

And with MFW, the Bible and prayer always comes first. Then comes the contrast, and it is quite obvious what a contrast it is, indeed. I feel confident that in college if anyone tells my son that such-and-such mythology is no different than the Bible, my son will stand and say clearly, "No, I've read them both, and they are really quite different..." I've even been known to say that the 9th grade year is a year of apologetics more than history, because that's how it feels to me.
DS4home wrote:I have loved the scope and sequence of the MFW high school years.
I agree, it's one of my favorite things about MFW. Instead of squeezing the entire Bible into one year, instead there is a year on creation through the Old Testament, and a separate year on the time of Jesus through the time of the church. It just feels right to me.

Keep asking questions as they occur to you,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

JOYFULFARMGIRL

Unread post by JOYFULFARMGIRL » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks ladies! I know MFW ahl will be a big jump in her work load, but she is a very bright girl and a strong writer. I am starting to feel now that she can handle the nature of the subject more and she knows she can come to me whenever to talk.

Thanks again!
JFG

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:56 pm

JOYFULFARMGIRL wrote:By the way, how does MFW get more independent for the student toward Jr high as you mentioned? As I mentioned I’m probably leaning toward SCM for the younger 6, but you do have me interested in other MFW rotations a bit now!
transition to more independent work in jr. high with MFW was in
*using the MFW plans for saxon math more on their own. my oldest was ready in 7th grade.. my middle got to be more independent by 2nd semester of 7th grade in math. They get a planner, and if needed there's the DIVE cd to help them study the lesson
*using MFW plans for apologia sciences..
*the switch to language arts. at that point the students and parents get to make their own schedule to read a book and work through a study guide. they have to realize they need to keep on a pace to finish book, and finish the grammar books.
*some of the core base programs will have additional research/reports in jr. high. where they begin to find more information on their own.

coffee's ready. :)

Julie in MN

What do your Fridays look like?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:06 pm

joyfulmom wrote:How much time do you spend on Fridays going over things? My daughter just started AHL but my son has been in US1 and I feel like I am falling down on this area. I am aware during the week that he is getting things done, but we don't do much discussion. What do your Fridays look like? How deeply do you discuss things?

Thanks for any input!
Lori
I think every family is unique in the area of parent interaction. At my house, I interacted almost daily through doing Bible together and reading a book or two aloud to my student over the year, and through editing of my son's writing (something I get hyper involved in). So I didn't have an official parent meeting time in AHL or WHL.

In US1, we mostly do Bible/worldviews together once a week, using the lesson plan option for parent teaching. I'm also reading some of the early American literature pieces in the Stobaugh book aloud, because I am more enthused than my 17yo son is on his own, so again that's sort-of our parent meeting time.

I've heard of others who do it very different at their houses, but I know it's fun to get glimpses.

Julie

Julie in MN

parent/teacher conferences with high schoolers

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:13 am

Keer wrote:I'm having trouble grasping what these "look" like. Unless I'm reading the materials alongside him (which I do NOT have time for!!!), how can I know what he's talking about? LOL! Also, I feel like I need some sort of idea of what is going on so I can know whether he is actually understanding (this has been a problem in the past due to poor comprehension...). I'm just sort of unsure as to what we're supposed to be doing during this time.... He is doing AHL.
Hi Kirstin,
Well, to start, I thought I'd share some various past conversations: [above]

And this encouragement:
amylynn12 wrote:
Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:56 am
Truly, I almost feel as if we only are using 2 levels because of how the High School level is self-led. We discuss what she is working on each day & we have a meeting each Friday to go over everything she did during the week. I have learned so much from our discussions & it gives me a feel of how much she is absorbing. :) We are really pleased with this program & look forward to year 2.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 009#p47009

And, I thought I'd mention a couple basics:
- Fridays with high schoolers tend to mesh with the light Fridays in the other programs, if that helps at all.
- Like I mentioned in that first link, we tended to do more daily interaction, and every family really will be different in this.
- Whenever you are correcting a student's work or editing essays, there are things to talk about that might fill up parent meeting time or might be done daily.
- Sometimes we used audiobooks and I could listen along.
- There's also a MFWHighSchool Yahoo group with other high school parents using MFW, and a Files section, with some possibilities. (And a FB group.)

But, as to some basic things I tended to discuss with my son in AHL, to make sure he was getting something out of his reading, I wrote out a bunch on this thread (it was meant for co-op discussion but I was pretty chatty about everything I could think of discussing in AHL to fill out a full co-op class) http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 323#p72323

Sorry to send you all over the board :) Keep asking if nothing strikes a chord yet.
Julie

Bret Welshymer

Re: parent/teacher conferences with high schoolers

Unread post by Bret Welshymer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:36 pm

I was the teaching parent for my daughter during her high school years using MFW. I work full time outside the home so we planned our parent/student conferences for Thursday evenings. I found that the curriculum is written in such a way that if the student is completing all the work as intended in the lesson plans with a reasonable level of commitment and thoroughness that the student will achieve the learning goals of the curriculum.

During our conferences for AHL I would first look at the suggested grade pages for each subject at the beginning of the lesson plans. This showed me what assignments needed to be evaluated and graded this week. Then I would look through the lesson plan grid at the week's assignments. I would ask to see and review work completed during the week to make sure all work was completed . I would ask general questions about what she found most interesting or surprising in history this week. I reviewed Exploring World History review questions and spot checked some answers with the answer key. I reviewed her Bible journal and asked questions in response to what she wrote. After reviewing the Literature Supplement exercises, I would ask questions about the book she was reading. In regard to the essays, I believe that if a student can write an argumentative essay following the format taught in the Literature Supplement that they have gained a good understanding of the book. We agreed that she would turn in an outline and draft of each assigned essay putting forth her best effort. I would then review the paper and ask her to edit the paper based on my notes for a final grade.

We followed a similar format throughout the four years of high school. She has completed a year of college successfully so I believe this approach prepared her for college level work. At times I wish I had had more time to give to her, but this worked for us.

mlangley

Unread post by mlangley » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:33 pm

What seems to have helped my son most this year in AHL is to write a short synopsis of what he has read. He does that for the books that do not have questions such as Unwrapping the Pharaohs. For Bible or Notgrass, we go through the questions together.

We started meeting at the end of the day every day because even with the check list in front of him, he still would not do what was required. At about week 10, the meetings decreased to every other day. I'm hoping to transition to the once a week meeting very soon, but right now he still needs the accountability of me!

I can see him gaining some independence but he is not quite there yet!
Grace Christian Homeschool

Using CTG & AHL with 3 children

Keer

Unread post by Keer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:46 pm

Thank you for all the replies! I like the synopsis idea - he is used to doing something similar.

I'll read over everyone's other suggestions.
Kirstin
teaching ds (10th), ds (8th), dd (7th), ds (4th), dd (3rd), and dd (K)
keeping ds (3yo) and dd (1yo) out of trouble

Julie in MN

1st year homeschooling, struggling a bit with high schoo

Unread post by Julie in MN » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:32 pm

bcbbmom wrote:By the time I finally ordered US History to 1877 and it arrived, we were set to start school the next day. Basically, my dd just grabbed all her books and got started! Honestly, I was glad that she would be able to teach herself, because I have 2 kiddos doing ECC, as well as a toddler, and this is our first year! Well, about 3 weeks into the school year, we find out she has mono and strep. It hit her hard, so she basically ceased doing any school for a few weeks.

Now she just doesn't have the motivation that she had previously, and she's complaining that I spend so much time with the boys, guiding and directing them, and she would like for me to do that for her. I think I need to just go through all of her stuff and spend some time letting it soak in. After that, however, how much do I need to do with her? I feel like she needs to be mostly independent with her school work at this point, but I also want to make sure she's getting all she can out of it. She's also doing math independently, and I just ordered IEW because I don't know how well she was taught in public school. She's a very creative writer, but I wanted to make sure she knew about the structure of writing, as well.

Do you set up your high schooler's schedule and then check to make sure they completed it, or do you just trust them to get it all done? I feel like we need to have a way of holding her accountable. I'd love any advice or ideas! Thanks!!
Wow, I am impressed with your jumping into all that for the first time and just struggling "a bit"! You're doing great!

Also, about the dd with mono, I would just plan on cutting out a book or an assignment. And I'd give her some more time before you expect to see her normal ambition reappear.

As for how closely we monitor our kids, I think that depends a lot on the family size, the particular child, and just the homeschooling style. Each home school will look differently. For those with larger families like yours, many times the oldest is quite independent, but because you are a new homeschooling family, things might look differently.

In general, the manual is set up so the student checks off each assignment and the parent checks off each day, and then there is a weekly parent meeting to discuss the content. That parent meeting, as well as the content of some of the writing and other assignments, should give you a pretty good idea of whether she's doing her work. Were you using that method before she got sick?

I have a few other random questions and brainstorm thoughts to start the conversation.

1. Is she an 11th grader? Did you choose US1 (US History to 1877) because of her age, or because she needs American history, or for any particular reason? I ask because often those who start MFW high school will choose AHL (Ancient History & Literature), which allows for some more adjustment time to high school (or to homeschool in your case).

2. If at all possible, I'd try to save the IEW course until things settle down and you see some room for it. If she's already wanting help, then starting a "big" new program right now might not be the best idea. The SWI courses aren't all that long in themselves, but it's like a whole new lingo and to-do list.

The writing in US1 is not extensive or detailed. The focus in US1 is reading original documents and literature from our founders and those who influenced our early history. The first big "essay" isn't until like week 20, with the Scarlet Letter. Therefore, writing instruction might not be something that's needed right up front. Of course, work on writing is always useful, but a good creative writer might not need big program like IEW with 20 sentence openers and such, but may instead just need time spent on instruction in the argumentative essay or other nonfiction essays in the limited time that you have, not sure. Just thinking it would be nice to wait on that.

3. Did you give any thought to choosing the Bible option of doing the Worldview lesson together with your child every week? Would your dh (dear husband) be able to do that with her every week? I think it's one of the biggest benefits of the year, and it might give her the parent attention she craves.

4. Is she doing okay with her science? Did you choose Chemistry this year, and is her math on par with that?

Well, just to get the conversation started :) Hopefully more families will be on the board over the next few days!
<hugs> for your efforts for your children.
Julie

Missy OH

Re: 1st year homeschooling, struggling a bit with high schoo

Unread post by Missy OH » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:39 am

We have an almost daily meeting instead of weekly. The weekly meeting takes care of business for us: we catch up on grading and discuss next week's assignments. I meet (almost) daily to check on their assignments and discuss what they read. My highschoolers still want that interaction. Sometimes this happens during chore time or a trip somewhere, but yes they still want to talk things out about what they've read. I try to keep up with some of their reading. It makes the conversations more fun, but I can't always.

You poor girl has been really sick. I would do as Julie suggests and find things to cut, probably for the next couple of months at least. It really does take a long time to get on your feet completely w/mono.

luv2tch

Unread post by luv2tch » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 pm

My daughter is doing US 1 this year also. She is a junior and is also doing MFW for Am Lit, as well as the Biblical Worldview class. With the 3 of those together plus Chemistry, math, and some electives, I think that is a full load. She tends to be a slower, methodical worker, so that might be different than your daughter's pace, but I think it's quite a lot to manage, without adding in another writing course, especially if she has been ill. I agree to cut her some slack and give her plenty of time to recover.

The BJU history book read along with the lit documents makes great reading. Maybe let her just read some days, and cut some of the activities, questions, etc. Of course, you know what she can handle. I agree that the Thinking Like a Christian worldview class is excellent, and I highly recommend that you or your husband take time to do it with her. We spend about 30 min to an hour per week on the discussions for that, and it is very good material that has opened doors to many good conversations. I think it really helps prepare them to own their faith and know what they believe as they launch out into the college and adult world.

I have to admit that we struggle to get the weekly discussion in every week, especially if outside activities interfere. My dd is having her wisdom teeth out this next week, so I know we will have to make some adjustments to schoolwork. Our weekly discussion for TLAC is going to be tomorrow (Saturday), as we have gotten a bit behind with oral surgeon appointments, etc, this week. I have two high schoolers and agree that many times our weekly discussions take place in the car, etc. We just fit them in as we can. They are able to do most work independently, but it tends to go better for us if I am checking up on things every few days and at least weekly.

I hope your dd can regain her strength and recover quickly and wish your family the best in your first year. You ARE juggling a lot, so give grace to yourself, as well. This is only our 2nd year homeschooling and there are still many days that I feel like I'm running a marathon! But there are many blessings, as well, and I hope you can see those in your family too!
Rhonda--Married 19 years to David
Traded classroom teaching for homeschooling!
Currently: C2G, AHL, and US 1
dd, 11th grade
ds, 9th grade
ds, 6th grade
"His divine power has given us everything required for life and godliness..." 2 Peter 1:3

bcbbmom

Unread post by bcbbmom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Thanks so much, Julie! First of all, I apologize for my delayed response. We were out of town for a couple days after I posted this, and to be honest, when we got back it was all I could do to keep my head above water with all we have going on. I tell ya, the enemy is really trying hard to knock us down and keep us there. A reminder that I need to go to God with my struggles more often. I was so excited to get away from public school and start homeschooling that I underestimated how difficult it would be. I love it, but it's hard! The weight of the responsibility and having no outside family support is taking a toll on me.
Julie in MN wrote:1. Is she an 11th grader? Did you choose US1 (US History to 1877) because of her age, or because she needs American history, or for any particular reason? I ask because often those who start MFW high school will choose AHL (Ancient History & Literature), which allows for some more adjustment time to high school (or to homeschool in your case).

2. If at all possible, I'd try to save the IEW course until things settle down and you see some room for it. If she's already wanting help, then starting a "big" new program right now might not be the best idea. The SWI courses aren't all that long in themselves, but it's like a whole new lingo and to-do list.

3. Did you give any thought to choosing the Bible option of doing the Worldview lesson together with your child every week? Would your dh (dear husband) be able to do that with her every week? I think it's one of the biggest benefits of the year, and it might give her the parent attention she craves.

4. Is she doing okay with her science? Did you choose Chemistry this year, and is her math on par with that?
Anyway...to answer your questions: Yes, she is an 11th grader, and I chose US1 because she needed a US history credit and that is what Bret recommended when I spoke to him.

In regard to IEW, I agree that it feels like too much right now. My dd actually wanted me to order it for her because she felt she needed it before she started any essays. I think we are both stressing a bit and wanting things to be perfect, so we probably just need to chill!

Before she got sick, I was doing the weekly TLAC lesson, but I would love it if my dh would help with that. I really felt like I was winging it!

As for science, she had Chemistry in public school, so we're not doing any science this year.

bcbbmom

Unread post by bcbbmom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Missy OH wrote:We have an almost daily meeting instead of weekly. The weekly meeting takes care of business for us: we catch up on grading and discuss next week's assignments. I meet (almost) daily to check on their assignments and discuss what they read. My highschoolers still want that interaction. Sometimes this happens during chore time or a trip somewhere, but yes they still want to talk things out about what they've read. I try to keep up with some of their reading. It makes the conversations more fun, but I can't always.

You poor girl has been really sick. I would do as Julie suggests and find things to cut, probably for the next couple of months at least. It really does take a long time to get on your feet completely w/mono.
Yes, I'm finding that this mono thing is tricky. It seems like she starts feeling better, then has a bit of a setback. She struggles with headaches anyway, and has for 3 years, but they're so much worse now with mono.

I'm thinking of just carving out a 15 minute period where she and I can go over what she's done each day. Sounds simple, but the hard part is finding 15 minutes where the 2, 10, and 14 year-olds won't interrupt. Ha!

Thank you for your ideas!

bcbbmom

Unread post by bcbbmom » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:26 pm

luv2tch wrote:This is only our 2nd year homeschooling and there are still many days that I feel like I'm running a marathon! But there are many blessings, as well, and I hope you can see those in your family too!
Thank you, Rhonda. It's always reassuring to hear of families that are starting this journey later on, like us. I do feel so very blessed to homeschool, and I know that I was called to do this. I remind myself daily that God doesn't call the qualified, but He qualifies the called. I hold onto that when it just doesn't seem possible to do this.