* Great moments in MFW high school

ilovemy4kids

* Great moments in MFW high school

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:24 pm

YIPPEE! Son's first argumentative essay in AHL is good!

We finished week one of AHL last week with our just turned 14 year old son. He did his argumentative essay following the instructions in the Lit and Comp supplement. He didn't want us to grade it with the 14 points, after he did it himself and then wrote his final draft.... so.... we submitted it to writeathome with their pay per paper option and told them what the basic assignment was. He got a 4.67 out of 5 points! The feedback from the instructor was absolutely incredible. He actually wants to take her feedback and suggestions and re-write it AGAIN, just for the sake of making it better, even though he already got an A! THANK YOU MFW!!!!!!

Also, he LOVES the New Answers Book. I am going to have to read it myself because it is all he keeps talking about at every meal.....

He has come up with some questions of his own that I couldn't answer so we deferred to dad and he also emailed our pastor. :)

Thanks again!

ilovemy4kids

Great discussion with AHL today :)

Unread post by ilovemy4kids » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:53 am

Well, we just did our discussion for week 4 of AHL and it was great! When discussing the EWH questions for day 2, one of the questions was "What does it mean to you, in practical ways, to have faith in God?"

Hmm.... for a 14 year old, having imperfect parents who sometimes tell you to do or that you can't do things (especially when it's not cause it's a sin, it's just cause your parents aren't "comfortable" with it is a challenge. But if you have faith in God, that he will bless you for obeying your parents with a joyful heart, that is a practical application of your faith in God. So even when your parents are wrong, if you do what they tell you, as long as it's not against Gods word like rob a bank of something... you will be blessed.

Gotta love MFW!

I so wish we could have afforded to get 1850 to Modern to use with my younger one this year. :( Oh well, maybe next year! Or, if it works out and I sell a bunch of stuff that I'm trying to sell, we will get it and just start really late in the year!

The AHL is such an awesome program. One thing I have noticed, is that my husband has to do the OTC discussion with my son. Since I am not doing the reading I am just unable to discuss it. I beginning to wonder if my priorities need to shift and I should do it too. I'm realizing how much more I NEED to learn God's word. I am looking forward to when my youngest begins AHL because at that point, I will get to do it to! ALL OF IT!!!!

Blessings
Sandra

cbollin

Re: great discussion with AHL today :)

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:04 am

Wow! What a great answer and time with your child.
ilovemy4kids wrote:The AHL is such an awesome program. One thing I have noticed, is that my husband has to do the OTC discussion with my son. Since I am not doing the reading I am just unable to discuss it. I beginning to wonder if my priorities need to shift and I should do it too. I'm realizing how much more I NEED to learn God's word.
I totally get that. I am so thankful that Marie put a parent schedule in the back of the AHL plans to do the OT readings together. I'm glad my oldest comes out of her room a lot during the day and says "look at this in this scripture" and wow! I get the opportunity to keep up with it.

I need to get back on track. I think I'm a week behind my daughter for no good reason other than letting other good stuff steal the priority. I'm not beating myself up on that, just saying out loud to myself I need to adjust the priority.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Re: great discussion with AHL today :)

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:21 am

Dh and I are able to AHL Bible with our youngest. When you guys get to your youngest, you will be blessed to have a chance to sit and enjoy AHL, too :)

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Teresa in TX

I am so ridiculously encouraged...high school

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:48 pm

This has everything to do with MFW high school. We are in year 2, World History, week 10. Dd had her history assignment today to write a letter to a friend who had converted to Islam.

She spent a lot of time on this assignment today. The end result cemented everything MFW is about for me!! She had taken the knowledge she had gotten from reading "More than a Carpenter" and combined that with the knowledge she is gaining from reading the Bible, then combined that with the knowledge she had gained from "Christianity, Cults & Religions" and wrote such a great letter. It was convincing, bringing up the fact that there is no way that Jesus could just be a great prophet, as the Muslims believe. She took the liar, lunatic, or Lord idea and carried that forward. If this sounds like I'm bragging on her, I am kinda...but I'm so uber-excited at the fact that she is GETTING it and it was JUST what I was wanting her to "GET" and it's because it's just put forward in such a wonderful way by MFW!!! She's owning it for herself. I see it in conversations we have. It's often subtle. She's a normal teenage girl who likes clothes and music, fun, thinks boys are cute, etc., etc. but these truths that are being planted deeper and deeper into her heart and mind are coming out of her mouth more as we go along.

I think I'm saying this to encourage that even if you don't see all the fruit at the moment, I think the seed grows and the bricks build one on top of the other. How about that for mixing my analogies?? I'm very pleased with this choice of curriculum for our family!! Repeatedly, I am pleased!!
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

gratitude

Re: I am so ridiculously encouraged...high school

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:07 pm

Words seem insufficient for this moment of yours! WONDERFUL!

Thank you for the encouragement, and for answering one of my BIG home school & MFW questions without even meaning to.

The question was, "Can we really help our children, with home schooling & with MFW, understand and know & believe our Christian faith?"

You just gave a resounding 'yes'!

Thanks for encouraging a mom at the beginning of the journey.

Blessings & Rejoicing with you!

4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 am

Oh, how awesome! LOVE how MFW works!

I agree about the fruit... we've seen it here, too. I love your mixed-up analogy! :-)

"I think I'm saying this to encourage that even if you don't see all the fruit at the moment, I think the seed grows and the bricks build one on top of the other."
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:20 am

Thank you for sharing! In the past I have been unsure about continuing to homeschool through high school, but we've been with MFW since K (now doing CTG) and the farther along we get the more assurance I have that we really can do this! Praising the Lord for His providence in allowing us to homeschool and continuing to seek His face with each year but not having any fear that it can't be done, I know that MFW will provide the means if the Lord continues to direct us in this way.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

NCJessieRN

Unread post by NCJessieRN » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Galations 6:9 So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.

You are reaping your harvest! Thanks for encouraging us!
Jessica Noy
Moses 4
Hosanna 1
Shepherd 4/2013