Singapore - Practice Pages in the Textbook

Poohbee

Singapore - Practice Pages in the Textbook

Unread post by Poohbee » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:08 pm

beaglemamma2008 wrote:This year we switched to Singapore, which has been a huge hit. I tend to err on the side of overkill, so I had her start back in 1A just to make sure she was thinking the Singapore way. This year she has completed 1A and 1B with great understanding of the concepts.

She is currently about 1/3 of the way through 2A, but we have slowed waaaaaay down since some of the concepts (addition and subtraction with renaming) are completely new to her. She's doing great with it, but I just feel more comfortable taking our time and making sure she understands why she's doing what she's doing.

Which brings me to my question ... when we got to Level 2, I noticed that in addition to the Review exercises in the Workbook and Textbook, we now also have Practice exercises in the textbook. And lots of them. We typically do one exercise or review or practice per day, so I'm beginning to feel like we're going to be in this 2A level FOREVER. So how do you all handle these Practice pages in the Textbook? Do you do them all? Do you do one per day when you come across one? I'd love to hear any insight you have to offer! :)
I tend to skip some of the practice pages in the textbook, especially if my dd is doing well with the concept she's working on. If there are 2 practice pages right in a row, I usually choose just one of them for my dd to do. Sometimes we do the practice pages orally or on a whiteboard, just for something different.
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

Julie in MN

Re: Singapore Math - Textbook Practice Pages

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:15 pm

I used the practices in the textbook as a time to watch my student do the problems and evaluate whether he needed to go over some of the lessons again. He did a lot of those practices on the marker board. (That isn't the method in the MFW lesson plans, but just the way we did it.)

Then I used the reviews in the workbook as independent assignments.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:09 pm

Wow - you're making me feel like a "toughy" -- I use the Practice pages in the Textbook as independent assignments as well as the Reviews in the Workbook. :~ And I have my dd write them all out in a spiral bound notepad, too! :~ If there's two in a row, I ususally make her do both of them on the same day! :~ No wonder she groans when we get to a set of Practice pages! 8[] (It's Saturday, I can laugh about it . . . )
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

Erna

Unread post by Erna » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:42 pm

We do the math pages as laid out by MFW. My daughter does the practice pages on an extra sheet. She sometimes groans but we've tried to add manipulatives or something out of the ordinary to help make it more bearable. I just wish they put the practice pages into the workbooks. I write out the equations for her but on the ones where she has to figure out the solution and whether she has to add or subtract to get the answer I leave the sign out. It is good to see her abilities shine but we are trying not to make it mundane especially when we have 4-5 practice pages ahead of us.

Blessings,

Erna

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:08 pm

Cyndi,
Erna is doing it the way it says in the MFW guide. So you're right on track :)

But you KNOW how much I babied my ds with the pencil :~ So now you have another option if the groans get really loud. And I actually think my marker board technique has some merit because it gave me a chance to view my student doing problems independently and spot any teaching opportunities. (Unless that's just an excuse because I didn't want to face the groaning ?? )

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:09 pm

random thought...

sometimes it might be helpful to let the student copy the problem from the practice/reviews from the text books onto paper (or dry erase board, I'm cool with it). It doesn't have to be "all of them" all the time or anything. But today as my middle gal did her first standardized test (woo hoo), she had to copy the problems onto scratch paper from the test booklet as the instructions specifically do not allow the booklets to be written in (renting the CAT-e from Seton).

so I was thankful that sometimes we did practice pages by having her copy some of the problems from the singapore text books.... it was good test prep.??? LOL LOL

-crystal

beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:37 am

Thank you so much for your responses. I think I will have her continue to do the reviews just to make sure the concepts are cemented before we move on to something else.

I have spent too much time lately thinking I'm just not doing "enough" because of posts I've read on another board where it seems like everyone is adding in the Challenging Word Problem books and the Intensive Practice books, and I've been trying to figure out how in the world they're getting it all done. I think for our family, it will work better to just take our time and make sure she's really grasping the concepts as we work through the textbook and workbook like we have been doing. Extra work will never take the place of good teaching. And I'm beginning to see how that other board could be called "The Way Too Much" board. (Sorry. I guess that was a little tacky, wasn't it? &) )
cbollin wrote:giggle giggle.... part of me just wanted to say "ask it over here!"
my super genius first born never did CWP or IP and she's still strong in math without the extras!
It's like this: we all need food. good food with vitamins and minerals and omega 3's for brain power. But do we need "excess" amounts? at some point, there isn't extra benefit.
And Crystal, I have never given any thought to the benefit of having dd copy some of the problems, but I can see how this could be helpful to her at some point.

And the dry erase board ... why, oh why, don't I ever think of the obvious?! :~ She'll LOVE doing that to change it up a little!

Thank you so much, ladies, for taking time from your busy lives to reply. Hope you all have a blessed day!
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com

shera

Unread post by shera » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:57 pm

I am one that does use the extra books BUT what I have done is when ds is in the b level books he does the a level IP. In this way I have made Singapore more spiral. The CW problems he does over the summer to help keep things fresh. Now I will say if I feel we need to drop one it will be the IP. The CW book is good and could be used in between levels. Not saying you have to add either though.
Sarah
ds 11/01
dd 08/04
dd 07/09

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:44 am

Jennifer,
one of the things I said on that other thread, needs a bit of clarifying to put into context.

I do not think it is "required" to make them show all work in singapore.
It was when my oldest got to Saxon and was missing problems that I made her go back and write that problem with all steps.
then, she gradually realized it helped her on more problems to show more steps.

but in singapore? some steps, yes, not always, all the time. It's different at high school years vs. elementary. So, don't make them show everything in singapore primary series. Part of the way I teach Singapore (for the limited value that is) is that I sit and listen to how my children are thinking through the problems. I don't have that time in Saxon and Jacobs. Show more work to be shown becomes more needed.

does that help put some of the 'show work" advice you were given in its fuller context? it's just easier for me to find stuff over here.

-crystal