Corrections - Making them a part of our day....

Julie in MN

Corrections - Making them a part of our day....

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:57 pm

Corrections - When do you have time?
BIKERMOM24 wrote:Can anyone tell me what they have done to help them get into a workable routine where everyone's math and science is checked daily, ( a BIG problem for me with the older two) and the weekly HS check is not forgotten or neglected.
You need to find a time during your day that you can commit to correcting math etc. It might be in the morning, at night, right after school, during a specific school hour, or during co-op. But I would have a dedicated time for that, so it isn't a struggle or guilt burden daily.

One method that some of us use is to have the child call out answers while the parent is looking at the answer key. The best thing about this method is that problems are caught before they are repeated, and without taking extra time out of the next day.

Best wishes as you try to meet so many needs at the same time,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:13 pm

I don't feel qualified to offer much as my oldest is only 13. But I at least wanted to give a few (((Hugs))) and prayers.

Some ideas to think about:

*Saxon math -- we do that the way Julie mentions. she calls out the answer while I have the solutions manual in front of me. Then we go over it. That usually has to be done before we eat lunch.

*Can your weekly conference be done by your dh instead of you? Perhaps it would help if dad and son had time together??? Maybe even Sat morning?

*also, you might consider calling the MFW office as several of the staff have high school age children and they might have some tips to share.

-crystal

BIKERMOM24

thank you

Unread post by BIKERMOM24 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:25 pm

Everyone here has such great advice an encouragement ! I love to hear how others homeschool with MFW. I did think about calling the office, so maybe I will do that as well.

Have a happy day, 'cause you're already blessed !

annaz

Making correcting a part of our day....

Unread post by annaz » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:40 pm

Jamie wrote:Yep, I was falling behind on correcting, and I was seeing where things weren't getting "caught" in time (math, etc.). This week, I decided to try and do our correcting right along with their bookwork.....make correcting a part of our day. I was wondering if that would help me to not get so behind in that part of our bookwork, and if it would also help all of us to understand what is not being understood. :-) So, upon completion of each individual's work, we/I correct at some point in time before it's put away.

Does anyone else make correcting a part of your school day?
Yes, we do it right after the bookwork has been completed. All subjects. Otherwise, by the next day, it really doesn't seem to connect.

I don't like dd to sit on things that were wrong. But it makes for a longer day for us.

Jami

Re: Making correcting a part of our day....

Unread post by Jami » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:22 pm

I have my kids do their more independent work (math) earlier in the day now (we school during afternoon naptime) and I get out their math books and check it while we are doing afternoon schoolwork and have them make any corrections right then. It works for us. I also used to wait and correct it "later" and I like doing it the same day better.
Jami - AF Wife

8th, 5th, 3rd, 1st, Pre-K

2014/15 ECC
2013/14 1850MT & 1st
2012/13 EX1850 & K
2011/12 RTR & 1st
2010/11 CTG & K
2009/10 ECC & 1st
2008/09 ADV & K

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:42 pm

I *really,really* try to do all my "school responsibilities" during school hours.

As far as Singapore elementary math, my ds liked it when I had him call out the answers & I gave a happy remark or said some kind of "hmmm" or "really???" without really marking it wrong.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

mgardenh

Unread post by mgardenh » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:25 pm

I find it is just easier to correct as we go. So I check dd's work as soon as it is completed or almost. Doesn't take that long and I don't have to worry about it. Particularly with math. That immediate feedback seems to help.
Mike
DH to Laurel
SAHD (mostly) to
Julia - 10 years old, Explorations to 1850
Alexis-7 years old, Explorations to1850 see her story at
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/alexisg
Have used MFW, k, 1st, Adventures, and ECC, CTG, RtR

MelissaM

Unread post by MelissaM » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Yes, I've always done this, and last week I somehow got off-track and didn't do any math-checking till the weekend - oh no! Math is NOT the subject to let this slide, at least in our house. Monday morning, we had several math problems to correct, and it really ate into our class time. I'm definitely staying on top of it this week!

:)
:)
Melissa
DD13
DS10
DS5
DS2