Singapore - MFW Lesson Plans & other teacher helps

cbollin

Re: MFW Singapore Math Lesson Plan Booklets

Unread post by cbollin » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Unless MFW has made changes recently:
*no samples
*1A and 1B are daily scheduler, notes and hints along the way for key vocab and when to add in certain things
*2A-6B: very general overall Singapore guidelines, and then a day to day lesson planner.

In the math archives section of this forum, there are some answers and solutions and helps/hints for specific "hard problems" in various Singapore books by level.
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=23 (Singapore, Specific Lessons)
Sometimes it helps knowing about bar diagrams and how to use them. I know when I started using Singapore, I found some really wonderful help just from that. there's even a singapore math forum out there with lots of helps too.

I haven't used the HIG all that much. Just a little bit in 6A and 6B

Why not start with just the books and maybe the mfw plans, and then, if you end up being one who needs HIG, that can be added as you see a need for you. just an idea. Or get one and then do a wait and see approach?

-crystal

beastgal

Re: MFW Singapore Math Lesson Plan Booklets

Unread post by beastgal » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:31 pm

If you get a chance to look at a HIG you might want to browse it. I did not buy it for our first book of Singapore and I felt a little lost so I bought it for the second book and it helped me feel more confident in teaching the singapore way. I did not use it for every lesson or do everything it said, but rather just used it to get ideas.

Wendy

rxmom

singapore math

Unread post by rxmom » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:23 pm

themama wrote:Has anyone used the Home Educator's Guide for Singapore math? Does it explain how to do the math? For example: if I have forgotten how to multiply fractions will this book explain it to me? Or is it primarily lesson planning? And if it doesn't explain than does anyone know of any book that corresponds to the workbook that does explain?
We are happy Singapore users...I have never used the Home Educators Manual so I can't say what they are like. We have always used the corresponding Textbook (with the Workbook)... you can order both as a set from MFW with scheduled lesson plans in separate small booklet.

Basically, you use the Textbook to teach the concepts. I have found the textbook to be excellent and "enough" to explain all new concepts. At my advanced age (42!) it has been awhile (LOL) since I learned much of this but I have found the Textbook very "user friendly". Singapore usually demonstrates (via the Textbook) more than one approach to teach a concept which is great...I feel it is very strong. Kid are doing well with it. The Textbooks are not expensive and I am reusing them with my other kids. Usually the textbook lesson is followed up by a corresponding lesson in the Workbook. Hope this helps...I'm sure you will hear from others that have used the Manuals.

Delcey :)
Blessed beyond measure...Lovin' MFW in SW VA
ds (14) ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT, Coming Soon...AHL!
ds (12) 1st grade, ADV, ECC, CTG, RTR, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT
dd (9) MFWK, MFW1st, EXP to 1850, 1850 to MT

jasntas

Re: singapore math

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:14 pm

Hey now, I don't see 42 as advanced. Just mature. (Not that I'd know or anything. ;) )

Delcey is right. The HIG is not really needed unless you feel you need the extra hand. I just realized the other day that I hadn't gotten it for the level my ds is currently on. I haven't even needed it and only thought about it after the subject came up on another thread.

To answer your question, it does take you step by step with LOTS of extras and is nice to have on hand if you feel you need the extra help. But a word of caution, if you do get it I would suggest you don't use it word for word. Only for the extra help when needed. You would probably never finish math or not get to any other subject if you did everything in the HIG.

HTH
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

chefgirl96

Unread post by chefgirl96 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:51 am

This is the first year that we've used the HIG and I wished I would've gotten it sooner! I AM a math-lover, so I think that actually was making things more difficult for me to teach DD. As in, "This isn't that hard! Why can't you grasp this?!" So because of that, I like the teaching tools in the HIG and how they explain things. I *really* appreciate all the answers to the workbook & textbook problems because it saves me from having to mentally calculate each problem! As long as we continue to use Singapore, I will continue to purchase the HIG.
Rebecca - Joyfully married for 13 years
DD(11.5), DD (8.5), DS (5.5), a beautiful baby DD & two babes in Heaven
Currently using: RTR
Previously used Adventures, ECC, CtG, and K; Former HOD user

Michelle in WA

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:37 pm

I like having the HIG. I don't use it all the time. It helps me understand the goals & objectives of each lesson & gives ideas to use to reinforce the concepts.
Michelle, momma to
A (01) completed 1st, ADV, heading into AHL (gulp)
T (02) completed K, 1st (doing something else for now)
C (05) (doing something else for now)
T (08) completed K, doing 1st

s_duguid

Unread post by s_duguid » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:24 am

themama wrote:Yes, I have the text books. However, there have been times when a problem in the workbook is not clear to what she(my daughter) is supposed to do. I have recently gotten the answer key book and maybe having the answers will help me figure out the questions. Thank you for your replies!
When I started homeschooling for 2nd grade, I did purchase the HIGs for Singapore. It helped me as I transitioned into teaching. Lots of supplemental ideas and games to do with die and cards plus mental math sheets to copy . . . BUT a lot more time-consuming. Once I felt I got a handle on the style of learning, understood how to use bar diagrams (may I say it has become VERY useful in solving story problems in 5A), and my daughter grasped the concepts including mental math, I did not purchase the HIGs for any other years. The textbook "bubbles" seemed to be enough for us, and we didn't need any other reinforcement activities.

B-U-T now I will be purchasing 6A and 6B at the next convention, and I was wondering if I should purchase the HIGs. So if I may hijack this thread . . . is the content in 6A and 6B such that a HIG will help me get through some of the "stumpers." I know in 5A there have been a few that I thought maybe a guide would help, but I eventually figured them out and was able to demonstrate to my dd in a way for her to understand. I know Crystal's earlier response was she had purchased them and did use them a little, but would you repurchase them now knowing your own experience? (Hope that makes sense.)

--Sue
Sue, married 20 years and mother to 3 (only homeschooling one):
TJ (18), college sophomore
Drew (17), high school senior
Victoria (12) starting 1850-MOD in fall
  • completed Exp_1850, RtR, CtG, ECC, ADV

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:41 am

s_duguid wrote:B-U-T now I will be purchasing 6A and 6B at the next convention, and I was wondering if I should purchase the HIGs. So if I may hijack this thread . . . is the content in 6A and 6B such that a HIG will help me get through some of the "stumpers." I know in 5A there have been a few that I thought maybe a guide would help, but I eventually figured them out and was able to demonstrate to my dd in a way for her to understand. I know Crystal's earlier response was she had purchased them and did use them a little, but would you repurchase them now knowing your own experience? (Hope that makes sense.)

--Sue
Hi Sue!
hmm. If my budget allowed, would I get them again (or find used copy or whatever)?
The back story? I had a higher budget in those days. So, I didn’t know whether to get HIG or some classroom teacher guide. Got both. Why did I spend money on the classroom?!?!?!? Sold it to someone and recouped some cost. That’s good. And I still have HIG 6A/6B.

Knowing what I know now. Well, I probably would get them and would have learned to use them better and chilled a bit and all of that.

I know this much. Knowing what I know now, with 6A, I would make sure I didn't "over teach" a lesson. I remember this one problem early on that was a geometry problem comparing prisms to pyramids and the differences. I was using 6A and 6B with my oldest daughter who was then in 6th grade. The question on the text (ah, there it is 6A p. 16 #3) was to say which one of these shapes is different and why. It was a stumper for us because two look like rectangular prisms (aka cuboids as they are called in Singapore) and two look like pyramids. I was confused. on no... I was over thinking it! The question was which one is different, not what is each one called! slaps forehead now and says "duh, what were you thinking Crystal!!!!"

But the lesson was just simple: which one has only one rectangular base and that was the answer. The answer key only said “ d”, but didn’t give a reason. I guess what I really wish is that the answer key and/or the HIG said “d is different because it only has one rectangular base”. Then, I would have chilled on all it. LOL Instead the HIG answer said D b/c it’s a prism.

Well, that made me ask, why isn’t C a prism, and eek! shouldn't my kid have to know this? (no.) And, not knowing that, I got out my HIG and over taught the lesson with way too much geometry vocabulary and was very confused myself. Nothing wrong with learning new vocab, but I turned a simple problem into a long drawn out vocab math lesson. You can see how I can ramble, so imagine how my child felt. The text book lesson was just introducing the first step to identifying the differences. (I know that NOW) The HIG wanted to give many kinds of steps at once to identify the differences. Knowing what I know now, I would have taught the lesson “backwards” from how HIG introduced it. I would have had child make observations about sides, and faces, and bases and then, sort them into categories. This is just opinion of course, but I had the experience using HIG that could be summed up in this analogy: I felt more like I was trying to teach definitions of parts of speech too soon, instead of using them and then labeling later.

That was my "negative" experience with HIG (if you can call it a negative. It’s not really). It was the first time I used it at all. never bought it before that. and I made it way too difficult. I know now, all we had to learn was that the pyramid in that one problem had only one rectangular base. seems so obvious now. giggle snort. another analogy. giggle snort... It was like the other day in the doctor's office with a magazine that had spot the differences in this picture of some famous actor. the answer on one of them was "he has red lipstick here and black lipstick here". simple right? But I could have made a case of "well, in this picture they are implying he is more emo and over here more goth because of the change in lipstick color." LOL!

as an old college friend use to say "every analogy has its breakdown point".

Yes, there were times it was really nice to lean over and see a solution on the challenging word problems in 6A/6B. Usually all I really needed was a hint to the problem. So that made it worth it, I guess. I really didn’t use it everyday or all that often. It was there, so when I was stumped, I’d grab it.

That’s a long answer into why I’d probably lean in favor of saying if you’ve been using HIG and you like it and don’t get bogged down, and can afford it, give it a try in 6A and 6B too, or feel free to ask over here on stumpers. And if you’ve never used them up to 6A, you’ll be ok without them.

-crystal

Julie in MN

Teacher Guides for Singapore math

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:35 pm

nikicole wrote:I'm trying to finalize my orders for our first year of MFW and noticed that they do not offer the TG's for any of the Singapore math levels. I know I can order it from Amazon or somewhere else, but just wondering if they are not necessary? I can see where they may not be for my 2nd grader, but I think I'd feel better having it for my 5th grader.
I think it depends on a couple of things --
- how much $$ you have on hand (and how good at resale you are)
- how much you might over-use the guides if you had them
- how nervous you feel about teaching math

I usually got the guides; however, I don't often say that out loud because I don't think they're totally necessary. I think the textbook should be your main teaching tool in Singapore, and when folks are having trouble I often find they've lost track of that important fact. And for extra support, I really think this board is excellent for insight into a particular problem, and the Singapore Math forum is helpful in solving particular problems. And, buying two guides a year can add up.

But I do think the author of the guides poured a lot into them and it isn't a waste to get them, if you want. We liked the little math drill games with cards & dice. There are homemade manipulative templates. Some of the answer key has worked out answers. Some of the teaching points were interesting (but I like reading anything like that).

I think you can go either way on them. Here are some thoughts from others: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3756
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Michelle in WA

Re: Teacher Guides for Singapore math

Unread post by Michelle in WA » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:02 am

I bought the guides for 2A & plan to get 2B. I'm glad I did. I don't use them for every lesson. Sometimes I just don't get where the text book is going. Also, they give some ideas for additional activities that help if a child is struggling with a concept.
Michelle, momma to
A (01) completed 1st, ADV, heading into AHL (gulp)
T (02) completed K, 1st (doing something else for now)
C (05) (doing something else for now)
T (08) completed K, doing 1st

nikicole

Re: Teacher Guides for Singapore math

Unread post by nikicole » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:40 am

Thanks ladies! I really don't want to spend the extra $, so thanks for your help. I'll probably try without at first and then add the TG if I feel it's necessary.

jhagberg

new to MFW - questions about Math

Unread post by jhagberg » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:42 am

davimee wrote:Is there a math program for 2nd grade that is fun to use, and easy to explain? And something that doesn't take 45 minutes to an hour? That's about how long my youngest is taking for her 1st grade math.
We use Singapore Math with the daily lessons from MFW, and it's really nice! There are times in the textbook that it indicates to do two exercises in the workbook, but MFW shows only one exercise--so nice! We love the "short lessons" in math each day.
Joyce, using MFW's lesson plan for Singapore, do you do all the lessons through the course of the year, or do you skip some of them?
Davimee, all of the workbook pages are assigned in the daily lessons (none are skipped), plus all of the answers are given, and extra daily activities are listed, such as, "Practice skip counting 3's, 5's and 10's." There is also a blank line next to each daily lesson number so you can write the date you complete that lesson.
Joyce

asheslawson

How much to buy for Singapore? (guides)

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon May 02, 2011 8:40 pm

far above rubies wrote:Ashley, so you find the HIG helpful? Math is definitely not my thing. I'd better wait to purchase anything extra until I get the other items (textbook, lesson guide, etc.) in from MFW. I've only ever used the workbooks and the hands-on illustrations found with the old curric. I used.
Rubies...I finished my 1st week with the HIG's for Singapore. I have to say - they are really helping me to present better to my son & he is understanding & not protesting so much. He LOVED a completely simple dice game that I would have NEVER thought of myself. It involved nothing more than a dice & piece of paper w/pencil. Taught place value...my 6 yr old daughter even loved it & they competed for the highest number every time. I will say - sometimes I had to re-read the explanations a 2nd time to make sure I was understanding how the author was explaining how I should present these lessons to my son - but like I said before - I am NOT a natural math teacher. These were exactly what I needed. They may not be very helpful for everyone - but if you need to present the lessons in a way that helps your child start actually doing 'mental' math (mine was reverting to solving by working the problems out on paper when the book asked him to solve mentally - he just couldn't think it through - but I'm already seeing him, after 1 week, work a little better through some of the mental math probs!!) Anyways - there's my two cents...I'm glad I got them - they have really helped me.
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

MFW-Lucy

MFW's lesson plans for Singapore ?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:49 pm

G'smom wrote:Will I still need the HIG for Singapore if I get the lesson plans that MFW have? Also, do the lesson plans show the harder problems worked completely out the way they are in the HIG? Thanks
Hi G'mom,

Singapore lesson plans created by My Father's World contain the answers for all of the textbook and workbook answers (1A-4B currently) and simply list what to do each day in the textbook and workbook to complete each set in one semester. They do not offer any significant additional teaching instruction or contain the solutions to the answers (problems worked out step by step). There are a couple of problems worked out completely, but not a significant amount. These are a few problem that customers have needed help with repeatedly.

We have found that most parents are able to use the examples from the textbook to explain the daily lesson. This is like your daily "chalk board". Families who have chosen to use the Home Instructors Guide usually find they are most useful in the upper levels. We suggest, if you use it, to choose only a few activities to reinforce/teach the lesson and then only if it is needed beyond what is in the daily textbook lesson. We want to be careful not to extend a lesson to long. If needed it is o.k. to take a couple of days on a lesson that is difficult.

For students who need hands-on practice (especially in the younger years), we recommend using a manipulative to help learn the new concept. The examples from the textbook can be replicated with a manipulative such as Cuisenaire rods or others that you may already have. This is a great way to introduce the concepts in a concrete manner. The activities may be repeated as needed.

Our family used Singapore and I found it very doable using the textbook. When I did not understand how the textbook was teaching something or could not figure out a problem, I either asked on this board or called the MFW office for help. Those times were not often and both of my kids completed through 5B.

I hope this has been helpful as you are making the best decisions for your family in regards to what you will need to teach Singpore math.

Lucy

cbollin

Re: MFW's lesson plans for Singapore ?

Unread post by cbollin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm

several of us over the years on this forum have included our solutions and work it outs for certain of the "eek!" problems.
If you go the Math Archives
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewforum.php?f=23
and scroll down through topics (which are listed alphabetically), you'll see threads for most of the levels for specific problems.

and MFW does still sell the answer key for 4A-6B... yes.. took me two times scrolling.. there it is...
http://www.mfwbooks.com/products/M50/60/0/0/1#2nd-6th

Hope that helps a bit.

-crystal

MFW-Lucy

Re: MFW's lesson plans for Singapore ?

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:35 am

cbollin wrote:and oops, Lucy, maybe I should have just called you and asked this...
are the 1A and 1B plans still with the helps and hints, and key math vocab? I thought those were really nice in the previous editions from ages ago.
(and thank you for all you do and keep this a great place to be online!
cue the I love Lucy music.
Great question! Yes, all of the hints in the early books and some teaching tips and helps in the first levels are still there.

Lucy

TriciaMR

What is in the Daily Lesson Plans from MFW for Singapore

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:25 pm

erin.kate wrote:That seems like an obvious question, doesn't it? I guess my more specific question is whether these lesson plans replace the Home Instructor's Guide for Singapore? If not, do I even need that as well?

We used Singapore with MFWK and MFW1 (though I realize we didn't need to), then we departed from Singapore for 2nd grade and now we're going back with 2A, even though it's May. ::sigh:: That's another post, I suppose.

So, to get the Home Instructor's Guide or not? But maybe all I need is in the Daily Lesson Plans from MFW? :-)
The new lesson plans from MFW for 1A had:

1. Tips for each section
2. Answers for each question
3. Other suggestions - like starting to work on math facts, or play with real money for a couple of weeks before doing this section.

Not sure how far along they've gotten on rewriting the higher lesson plans. For 3A-5B, what I've had is just which pages to do each day (and which problems), and I bought the answer key from MFW.

I've not found a need for a HIG, as long as I've had this board when we've gotten stuck :)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Re: What is in the Daily Lesson Plans from MFW for Singapore

Unread post by gratitude » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:40 pm

I did buy the Singapore from MFW and it came with the lesson plans. I never ended up using them. I think they have been revised, but at that point they were mostly a schedule and had reminders in them such as to do flash cards.

I do not use the Home Instructor's Guide.

I did use the tests from Christian books for level 2A for review. He needed more time on the triple digit subtraction and addition, and so that was helpful. He ended up doing all of it for a review of the rest of the book too for reinforcement. We did not add anything to 1A or 1B.

The main thing to remember with Singapore is to add math fact drills such as the computer, Calculaddor (I think you do), or flashcards. The drills are important. We also use CDs in the car for memorizing basic math facts.

I have loved Singapore. I hope it goes well for you.

erin.kate

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:31 pm

Thanks. We used Singapore for K and 1st, got off track here in 2nd with two no-goes (boo) and now we're going to re-start with 2A here as soon as MFW gets the books to me ... probably by Friday ... they're pretty fast. :-) Mae thinks in Singapore fashion so it worked before, and why I jumped off the wagon, sigh, I don't know now. Anyhoo, back to it next week. This will be a great week for more Calculadder (her favorite) and more practice. Thanks for sharing!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

asheslawson

Unread post by asheslawson » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:40 pm

I started with Singapore 2A and got the lesson plan that MFW sold with it at the time, and it was just a daily list of lessons.

Then for 3A / 3B, I got the HIG. It is nice for some ideas and games to play, but I couldn't stand ALL the way it was written, just my personal opinion. I wanted the entire lesson at the top or end...then the author could have put all the ideas - but I just didn't care for the way it was broken up. I still did get some great math game / activity ideas from them, but I don't think they were worth the money.

For 4A / 4B, I got the daily lesson plans MFW did - and I REALLY like the changes they've made. They have some helpful hints at the beginning, the lessons, followed by the answer keys (NICE CHANGE) and they are separated by page number for textbook or workbook (REALLY nice change here too). I am so glad with the newly designed answer guide.

I tried to send a comment online to MFW to let them know how much I liked the new design of the daily lesson plans, but it just wouldn't submit the day I tried..my computer must have been really cranky that day!!
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

erin.kate

Singapore w/o the Home Instructor's guide

Unread post by erin.kate » Mon May 07, 2012 10:59 pm

albanyaloe wrote:I see that MFW has Singapore Math, and offers their own teacher guide, but not the Home instructor's guide. I was just wondering why?

As we are planning to get MFW ECC asap, and trying to make our whole HS experience less stressful, I am wanting to trust MFW on their choices. I am really a bit afraid of Maths as we have had issues with other curriculum, and I'm not great at Math. I've never tried Singapore. I have not actually got money to spare on a TM, if it's not needed, but I have read other review sites say that Singapore doesn't explain properly and that it is so hard, so I am afraid to go without it.

I've always liked everything explained for me. Also, because I am not math orientated, I tend to forget to do obvious things like flash cards, if it is not scripted. I forget to tell the children to count forward and skip counting and all that. (I never even realised I was supposed to with my first child, poor boy, till second grade, when I tried to catch up)

Our current program is Rod and Staff math, I know it is not a popular choice, but I found it did the trick when we needed it and my son actually said it worked for him and co-operated. I believe he is capable of a lot more, when I see how he grasps new concepts, faster than I do, and has no hassle with difficult concepts. But I have no idea how to teach him.

I have a 10 yo, 8 yo and 5 yo. I think I'll wait with the five yo till she is in second grade, before starting Singapore. She actuallly has taught herself math, not that I wanted her to do formal work yet, she insisted on a book. It's a bit of a problem, because she has "caught up" with her 8yo sister in one book. Now her sister wants to know why the little one in K is so far ahead! Oh, the trials and joys.

I have not done the tests but it looks like the children will both have to go way back! I read that this is normal, but I guess they will not like it.

I'd appreciate any feedback about this.
Lindy
I talked to the MFW office about whether they recommend the HIG, and if not why not, for Singapore. I can't remember if I talked to Bret, hmm ... but he was sure nice! Anyway, he said that they really feel that perhaps once you get to more advanced math you may find the HIG useful, but it's really not necessary.

Now, my oldest is in 2nd grade right now, in 2A (she's completed K, 1A, and 1B ... along with a mish mash of poor decisions on my part ;) ) and I am NOT mathy at all. That said, I find the textbook to be incredibly helpful and I do appreciate the MFW lessons for the answers and there are tips and tricks smattered throughout. I'd try it first without, especially if money is a bit tight. We are super happy to be back with Singapore, but you'll find your niche and it might not be Singapore. Kids are all so different and boy are there a lot of choices out there for curriculum. Best to you!
♥Count it all joy ~
Mae 11, Viola 9, Jude 7, & Jack 6
2015: RTR
2014: CTG
2011: Adventures
2010: MFW First Grade
2009: MFW K♥

familyof3

Re: Singapore w/o the Home Instructor's guide

Unread post by familyof3 » Mon May 07, 2012 11:02 pm

I put way too much pressure on my son the year I decided to get the HIG. It wasn't until the end of the year that I realized my high expectations came from the HIG, and not at all from the textbook or workbook. I promised myself I would never buy them again! :)

Angie

albanyaloe

Re: Singapore w/o the Home Instructor's guide

Unread post by albanyaloe » Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 am

Thank you so much for all the replies. Overload is definitely what I do not need! I tend to put too much pressure on us all (and ruin our HS experience) so I think I'll stick with the MFW guide and the reminders from the ECC TM.

Thanks again,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

gratitude

Singapore Math - Home Instr. Guide

Unread post by gratitude » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:48 pm

kw4blessings wrote:We are using 1st grade right now and dd is beginning to do great with the math as written in the manual, yay! Love it...hands on is good for us right now. As I look forward into the next year and beyond, I've been researching into Singapore and it looks like it could be a good fit for us. My question is: am I going to want the Home Instructor's Guide? Looks like MFW sells the text, wb, and MFW lesson plans. As a "not so fantastic in math" person, will I do alright without some kind of teacher's guide? What about the extra activities/review suggestions in the HIG? What are your thoughts? Thanks!
I have never chosen to use the HIG. I am now beginning my fourth year of using Singapore. I have heard many say though that they like the HIG and the help it gives. I wonder if you could see one at a convention to see if you like it. I had already been using Singapore for over 2 years the first time I heard of it, and didn't feel a need to add to what we are doing. The only thing I add to Singapore is drill and math manipulative (these can be the ones we bought from Math U See, pennies or coins, toy cars, popsicle sticks, pens, etc.)

Perhaps someone will chime in who has used the HIG.

Last thing...I do love teaching Singapore. I have looked at Saxon, and preferred the Singapore style for math. I think it teaches how to think math, and my children enjoy it (just don't forget the math fact drills...)

albanyaloe

Re: Singapore Math - Home Instr. Guide

Unread post by albanyaloe » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:01 am

I too am not a "mathy" person at all, and thought I really would need the published Singapore Home ed guides. We've tried lots of math and I always need all the help I can get. However, after searching this forum board, I took the chance and ordered just what MFW offers, and it was spot on. I keep thinking that I may need more guidance later, but we're heading into 3B soon, and I haven't felt that at all so far, everything has been very clear. In fact, my son usually gets it all faster than I do ;-)

What I am trying to say is, I think MFW has been very wise, not cluttering our budget or our day. I am the kind of person who could get all wrapped up and confused with lengthy didactics (hope that is the correct word) that is often found in TM's and that is of no advantage in HS's. So, to spare us the trouble, they have set out lesson plans and occasional tips in their guides, but it is all pretty straight forward. I like that I can call the office if I do head into trouble, or can ask here, of course.

Also, the ideas in the MFW guide, for counting and learning tables etc have been spot on in my humble opinion. And it is not overkill. Singapore is learning math in a challenging way, but without uneeded fluff. You'll see that MFW also do not offer extra practice books and such. Really, if your child hits a problem, you could order those things but I think you'll be happy, especially from what you describe about your son.

Hope that helps,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!