Singapore - Don't skip the Singapore textbook

Julie in MN

Singapore - Don't skip the Singapore textbook

Unread post by Julie in MN »

niki wrote:My son really gets math ideas quickly. Even though he placed into 2A, it's really been easy for him. Some of the things in 2A are a review for him.

I rarely use the textbook. Does anyone else find they don't need to practice in the textbook? He just opens his workbook and plugs along, getting everything right. I'm sure this will change as we get to the end...but we're about 1/2 through at this point. Do you just let the kids move on until they become stumped?
Hi Niki,
This is just my opinion, but I would briefly go thru each textbook lesson with him. The textbook lessons introduce the idea that there are different ways to think about the same problem. Your student doesn't need to do the problem any specific way, but it would be nice if he got used to seeing that problems can be approached from several directions.

When he gets to higher math and longer word problems, he will be more prepared for tackling things from different angles until he finds something that works.

Maybe you wouldn't need to do as much teaching in the measurement, time, & money sections.

Also, you could probably skip the longer practices & reviews, if he's breezing along.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
4Truth

Unread post by 4Truth »

The Textbook is actually meant for teaching the lesson prior to doing the Workbook lessons, not vice versa. You'll see at the end of a Textbook lesson that it tells you then to go to Workbook pages such-and-such. And if you ordered it from MFW, you should have received a lesson plan booklet that makes the order simple to follow, too. Sometimes the lesson plan booklet says to do a Textbook lesson, but no Workbook pages that day, or it says to write the answers to the Textbook lesson on separate paper.

I would have him go through the Textbook lessons anyway, and prior to the Workbook lessons, even if he knows it well enough to do it independently. Just so he can get that visual of the different ways of working the problems, as Julie explained.
Donna, with two MFW graduates and the "baby" in 11th grade! %| Using MFW since 2004.
niki

Unread post by niki »

Thanks for the advise, I didn't even think about the fact that it's presented in different ways and that will help in the long run!

:)
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd
Julie in MN

singapore math question

Unread post by Julie in MN »

asheslawson wrote:My son HATES working from the textbook as he came from public school and prefers the workbook. I think it looks like Horizon is mostly in a workbook format.

However - I still feel like it's a good mix to have him working independently from a textbook & a workbook. I think it's important he be able to write out the problems and work them on his own - it helps me see where he's making errors easier too. From reviews I have read - they are both rigorous, well written programs, but I think I'm glad I went with Singapore to begin with.
I know you didn't ask, but...

Just wanted to mention that my son did nothing independently from the Singapore "textbook." Even the "reviews" (assigned more independently in the MFW lesson plans) were done together on the marker board at our house. It was my time as teacher to check his understanding, and reteach, if necessary. He also never was required to do Singapore problems in any particular way - just required to "notice" that there are multiple ways to think thru math problems as we discussed the textbook "thinking bubbles" and such.

Just wanted to mention another way that Singapore can work, for others reading this.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
gratitude

Re: singapore math question

Unread post by gratitude »

I just wanted to mention that like Julie my sons never work from the text book either. We go over the text book orally and then the work is done from the work book. At this point my ds8/2nd grader does the work book independently and asks for help when he needs it.

I also thought I would add that a big help, thanks to Julie last month, was adding in drills for basic math facts. We are using Xtra Math on the computer (free flashcard drills), but flashcards would work as well or there are many other ideas for doing the drills.

Lastly, at the end of 2A he had covered all of the multiplication/division/triple digit addition and subtraction/etc. and did well with it but needed more time with the concepts; thus, I have been using the book of Singapore test worksheets for 2A that is giving him a nice solid review of all of the concepts that we have worked on this year. I didn't do a review for 1A or 1B, but it seemed needed for this book; especially for the borrow and carry triple digit subtraction and it has worked well.
Mexmarr

Re: singapore math question

Unread post by Mexmarr »

My daughter may have been able to test into 1b, but I just decided to go with 1a. I am VERY glad we did. It gave her a chance to get started with Singapore in a non stressful way. Once we hit 1b, it was a lot harder. We are now in 2a. It is going much smoother than it would have if we started in 1b.

We are another family who sits together and does the textbook orally. Sometimes I do grab a paper and write out the problem there. But I do it, and ask her what goes in each step. It gives us a chance to correctly, before she attempts it on her own in the workbook.
Misty, Wife to a wonderful man! Mother to:
Rosy age 8 - 3rd grade, ECC
Gracie age 7- K and ECC orally (legally blind, Aspergers)
Lizzie age 4 1/2 - waiting to start K!
Andy age 3
Rebekah age 2
Ruthie born March 31st

Completed 1st and Adventures