1st & K math - Testimonial

Joan in Minnesota

1st & K math - Testimonial

Unread post by Joan in Minnesota » Wed Jan 19, 2005 5:18 pm

Author: Joan in Minnesota
Date: 4/18/2004

Initially I was concerned about which mathematics curriculum to use. For Kindergarten and 1st Grade, I did exactly what MFW recommends in their curriculum (i.e. Hands-on activities, oral and real-life situations)

Then, for 2nd Grade I purchased a math curriculum (Math-U-See). The Math-U-See program recommends completing one lesson per week. However, due to the math preparation learned from MFW in Kindergarten and 1st Grade, my son was able to do one lesson per DAY. He therefore completed the Math-U-See 2nd and 3rd Grade material in his 2nd Grade year! He completed his Standardized Achievement Tests this year with outstanding results. He has also taken the math placement test for Saxon Math and tested to begin Saxon 54 when he begins 3rd Grade. Thank you MFW for laying such an outstanding math foundation!

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:44 am

Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:49 pm

I switched my three (9,6 and 6yr) to Singapore and have it a great transition.

My twins had no problem jumping into Singapore having had exclusively used the math in MFWK and MFW1. For the most part it doesn't take more than 30min for the twins. I do practice drills with them as well as going over the skip counting daily.

I have loved it and all three have thrived on it.
God Bless,
Dawn

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:25 pm

ruthie5573 wrote:It sounds like one of the reasons Singapore 1A/1B is not done in 1st is because most children aren't strong readers yet. With my son being a strong reader, would it make sense to move on to Singapore? Thanks!
I had my twins do the math in MFW1st and they smoothly transitioned into Singapore. After MFW1st they tested into 2A for 2nd and have done very well with it. They LOVED MFW1's math, it was so fun that they hardly realized that they were learning. It also helped to give them a sense that math is everywhere and gave them both an enjoyment of math which we really wanted them to have starting at an early age. They could read even before K but I still had them do MFW1st math and I have been really happy that we did.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

TammyB

Unread post by TammyB » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Just wanted to add that I think MFW first covers more math topics than does Singapore 1A/B.