Placement - Where did your child place after MFW-1 math?

cbollin

Placement - Where did your child place after MFW-1 math?

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:12 am

Marcy KY wrote:where your child fell on the placement test after doing MFW first grade math?

I tested Ben yesterday and it looks like at this point he would start with 1B. But we still have several months of first grade math to do and I really want to purchase the math at the Cincy convention to save shipping.

Is there much of a chance he'll advance higher by then or should I just plan on starting with 1B?
My 2nd dd did the math in MFW 1st. She placed in 1B. (Math placement is so individual and related to skill level. She needed more time for those skills.) We started in 1A just because I thought it couldn’t hurt. I’m not suggesting that you go with 1A, I’m just rambling about what we did.

We did go through 1A quickly. But we had held off on the placement test until just before starting. If you were starting in April with Singapore it wouldn’t be much of an issue. But that’s not the case, is it? I still think it is ok to start with 1B in the fall. He might zip through it. It will help to solidify the mental math process and even give you a bit more time working on math fact drills along the way. You might even consider thinking about buying 1B, 2A and 2B at convention just in case he does go through 1B quickly. But don’t feel like you have to finish 2B by the end of 2nd grade either.

Good thing is --- Cincy convention is soon and it might just be easier to decide when you look at the books and all of that. It is hard sometimes having the early conventions for things like this.

-crystal

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:41 am

Hi!

My twins after using MFW1 tested into 2A but I put them in 1B as I wanted to make sure they had the basics and I am really glad we did. 2A moves quickly into 2 and 3 digit addition and subtraction so the extra practice in 1B was perfect.

Hope this helps,
Dawn
www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com

MFW-Lucy

Unread post by MFW-Lucy » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:44 am

If your like me you are always wondering if this is a "normal" place for him to place. Remember that Singapore is divided into levels and not grades and that 1A is what their students begin at age 7 or 8 years of age. So this is a normal placement and lots of 1st graders(who have used MFW 1st math) getting ready to go into 2nd grade fall here for placement. Like Crystal said some will be moving into 2A but many start at 1B. You may even find that you go through this book very quickly and that you are able to do 3 books instead of the usually 2 that you do in one year.

Hope that helps to easy your mind a bit.

Lucy

Amy in NC

Unread post by Amy in NC » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:07 pm

Lucy Robertson wrote:You may even find that you go through this book very quickly and that you are able to do 3 books instead of the usually 2 that you do in one year.
Lucy
This is what we have done this year. I didn't even bother with the placement test. I bought 1A & 1B at the convention last year. Dd7 finished them in January & we will finish 2A by May at the rate we are going. I preferred to start at the beginning and let her enjoy lots of success before math started getting harder.

So basically you can start 1B and expect to be in a good place with a child who has done MFW1. I suppose you could compare the 1B & 2A tests to see what the differences are. Then look at the things you will teach the remainder of the year to see if you think he will be ready for 2A.

I will add that I'm glad my next year 3rd grader will not be doing 3A come fall. My 4th grader finished it in Jan., & I know dd8 will not be ready for it by fall.

Just some thoughts.

Amy
Married to ♥
Rob♥ for 18 yrs
dd(11.5), dd(10), dd(6), and ds(3.5)
Completed Kx2, 1st, Adv, ECC, CTG, & RTR

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:59 pm

Thanks so much for chiming in, Amy!!! I've been planning on starting my dd in Singapore 1A next year (ADV) regardless of placement, just to get used to the new style and enjoy math time. Your post convinced me that's a good move. I'll probably have more questions for you in the fall. ;-)

My dd is younger than your ds, Marcy, so I'm curious what you decide and how things go. You'll have to give us a report out after convention, anyway! I have to wait until June for my convention!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:35 pm

My son also placed in 1B after MFW1, and he is a big math lover! I will say that I kind of wish we had gone ahead and breezed through 1A anyway. He would have found it too easy most likely, but it would have been good to get used to the style & language before we hit some concepts that were new to MY brain. For example, in 1B your child begins adding & subtracting without placing the numbers on top of one another. It took me awhile to get that mentally, the way they intended! I wasn't used to doing it that way, and when I got frustrated, he got frustrated, KWIM? Certainly, we got through it (and he still loves math...), but I think starting at the beginning would have had its benefits. That is what I plan to do with my daughter ~ I won't even give her the placement test. Sorry if this is TMI. ;)

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:23 pm

TurnOurHearts wrote:I think starting at the beginning would have had its benefits. That is what I plan to do with my daughter ~ I won't even give her the placement test. Sorry if this is TMI. ;)
Paige -- this is a hi-jack thank-you, but THANK YOU! It really helped me to read that! Good confirmation from someone who's done/doing it.

cbollin

Placement - Transition from MFW1

Unread post by cbollin » Tue May 20, 2008 6:19 am

Poohbee wrote:We will be finishing up MFW1 this week. What a great year it has been! Our 1st grade year in My Father's World has been wonderful!

For Adventures, I ordered Singapore 1B and 2A, because my dd scored 85% on the placement test for 1A, and as I looked through 1A at our state homeschooling convention, it seemed like it would be quite easy for my dd. I think that 1B will be a good place for her to start. But, as I was looking through 2A, I started to second guess my choices. I realize that we will be almost halfway through our school year when we start 2A, but the content in that book seems a bit challenging (knowing what my dd's math ability is right now).

I have several questions for you experienced homeschooling parents and users of Singapore:
1. What are the topics covered in 1A? (I looked through it at convention, but I can't remember).
2. Is 1A somewhat repetitive of the math in MFW1, or does is serve as a nice review?
3. Has anyone started their 2nd grade child in 1B because that is where he/she placed, but regretted it and wished you would have started in 1A instead?
4. Has anyone started their 2nd grade child in 1A and regretted it because it was just too easy?
5. For anyone who has used the 1B/2A combination with a 2nd grader, does it move too fast, or was it okay?

I know there are a lot of questions here and that experiences will vary based on the differences of each child, but any experience you have to share with me would be much appreciated. I'm debating whether to call and order 1A to start my dd out there or to stick with starting in 1B. Thanks for any experiences and advice you can share with me.
Jen,

How about this option (it is a variation on question 3)
3.5 Has anyone started their 2nd grade child in 1A even though the placement test said start with 1B and NOT regretted it?

ME!

She was just a bit slower coming out of 1st grade math than the 1st grade math curriculum. In spite of that, she still placed into 1B. Just one of those feelings that said "start with 1A and go faster if needed, slow down when needed." It gave me a chance to get used to Singapore. It gave her a chance to work more on basic "number bonds" (math facts) as well as trying a few new things. There is some overlap and review between 1A and 1B. 1A wasn't hard for her, but I still don't regret starting there with this child. And she enjoyed it. For 2nd grade she did 1A, 1B and started into 2A. Eventually, she did start in the 3A book before the end of her 3rd grade year this year. And we didn't push with this kid.

That doesn't mean that your child should do that. A year can really change a student's math ability.

Topics covered in 1A:
numbers 0-10
Number Bonds (making number stories)
Addition --stories, number bonds, other methods
Subtraction - stories, methods
Ordinal numbers
Numbers to 20: counting/comparing, addition subtraction
Shape
Length -- comparing and measuring
Weight -- comparing and measuring. This part in the Singapore book didn't seem to be covered in the Complete Book of math exactly the same way, unless you did all of the balance activities in the measurement pages. My kid needed more time to understand measurement and it was new to her in the 1A book

So, yes, it is some review from MFW 1st grade math --- but my kid needed that review and I had the time to start in 1A.

Looking forward to others' answers, but we're all so different.

-crystal

lisa062797

Unread post by lisa062797 » Tue May 20, 2008 9:50 am

Jen,
We are almost done with our year in ADV here, and we did the 1B/2A combination, as that's where my ds placed in the test. The pace was just right, and in fact, there were times in 1B where we would double up on lessons because he was ready to move on. For us, 1B was definitely enough prep-work building up to 2A. In fact, we will finish school at the end of June, and we finished 2A a couple of weeks ago. Ds wants to continue math, so we will be ordering ECC in a couple of weeks along with Singapore 2B, in addition to next year's 3A/3B. That way, we can continue math into the summer and he can finish up level 2 in Singapore.
Lisa in MN
Wife to Nick
Mom to
Vincent (11) Completed MFWK, MFW1, ADV, ECC, CtoG, RtR, and currently in EX1850
Andrew (6) Completed MFWK, and currently in 1st
Isaac (4) Currently enjoying MFW preschool toys

dhudson

Unread post by dhudson » Tue May 20, 2008 10:33 am

I had my 2nd grade twins in 1B/2A this year and it went very well. We did have to slow down when we came to 3 digit borrowing and carrying so we just split the lessons and did them in two days instead of one.

I think memorizing the skip counting in the beginning of the year was crucial as well as having them do math windows every week to make sure that they knew their addition and subtraction facts. Having them have all their addition and subtraction facts memorized for the longer addition and subtraction problems made it not seem so daunting for them.

I also tried to make it fun by using m&m's, marshmellows, and fruit chewies as manipulatives. Math time was looked forward to!

God Bless,
Dawn
www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue May 20, 2008 11:15 am

I hope Paige chimes in here! I'm following Paige's and Crystal's advice for my dd, and starting her in 1A even though she places easily into 1B. Note, she will be a young 2nd grader. We're going to take the extra time to improve speed and accuracy on math facts and build a solid base. I also think it will be a good intro to Singapore's method to start in 1A. If she still rushes through it, she can always start 2A before the end of ADV. IMHO, it won't hurt for her to think "Math is easy!"

3chickadeesandme

Unread post by 3chickadeesandme » Tue May 20, 2008 11:24 am

I have a second grader going into Adventures. I chose to start with 1A because Singapore seems to be a different way of thinking in math, and I thought it best to allow her the easier exercises to change her way of thinking. It is a lot of mental math which I think is great! We aced the 1A test, but I still see the difference in the process. We have been doing ABEKA.

Poohbee

Unread post by Poohbee » Tue May 20, 2008 2:05 pm

Thank you all so much for taking time to reply! I appreciate the experiences each of you shared. It gives me much to think and pray about. It probably seems like such a small thing...which book to start my dd in in math...goodness, there certainly are more pressing issues. However, I am learning to seek God in all things...the big and the small...and things generally go much better when I do. So, I will continue to pray for his guidance in this and I will take into consideration all that you've shared.

Thanks so much!
Jen
happily married to Vince (19 yrs)
blessed by MFW since 2006
have used every year K-1850MOD
2018-2019: Adventures with 9yo boy

TriciaMR

2nd grade math

Unread post by TriciaMR » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:51 pm

karlafoisy wrote:Hi,
My kids are in 1st grade right now, but I have recently started looking at the 2nd grade curriculum. As of right now, it looks like our kids MIGHT be able to pass the 1A placement test...
Is that where most 2nd graders start or should I be better preparing them? I'm just a little concerned that I am not stretching their math skills enough now, and I am hoping that doesn't hurt them later when they aren't as well prepared as they should be.
Singapore book numbers are not "grade levels." It is perfectly okay to start 1A/1B in 2nd grade. So, your kids aren't behind :)

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

beastgal

Re: 2nd grade math

Unread post by beastgal » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:47 pm

My ds is in 2nd this year. He was in private for kinder and first. I started him in 1A just so we could get the hang of singapore. It was super easy for him so we just did more lessons each day. He finished 1A and 1B before Christmas. We are now half way thru 2A. Even though a lot of it was easy I am very happy we started there, it has given him confidence and he really has an understanding of the concepts.

Oh and I didn't even make him do the pretest, we just started 1A.

Best wishes,

Wendy

jhagberg

Re: 2nd grade math

Unread post by jhagberg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:48 am

Remember, the 1A placement test is used for testing OUT of 1A. The concepts shown on the 1A test are things they will learn in that level. My son scored 96% on the 1A placement test, so I started him at 1B.

There were three reasons we did the placement test: 1. We were already part way through another 2nd grade math book, 2. I wanted to see if my son "connected" with the Singapore method, and 3. I wanted to be sure he was ready for 1B.

I think starting 2nd grade with Singapore 1A is a good match. It might start out simple, but that's a good thing for youngsters! They enjoy the colorful books and they love showing you how smart they are!
Joyce

Cyndi (AZ)

Math placement after 1st grade

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Fri May 10, 2013 1:51 pm

HTCWW2K wrote:Where/how did your child place after completing the 1st grade curriculum? Do most people go to Singapore after 1st grade?
I would say that "most" people around here go on to Singapore after 1st grade, because that is what MFW recommends and it is an excellent math program. You have (2) options for starting Singapore - have your child take the placement test to determine where to place them, or just start at 1A to get the foundation down for how to think about math. Your child may very well place into 1B or 2A after 1st grade, but I personally recommend going with 1A even if they are able to go through it quickly and do more than (1) lesson per day.

Here's a link with a lot more info about that:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9431

froggiemomof3

Re: Math placement after 1st grade

Unread post by froggiemomof3 » Sat May 11, 2013 8:36 am

We will be going to Saxon Math 2 after 1st grade. It just seems like a better fit for our family.
Ayrielle - Mom of 3; DS5, DD3, DD15months

2012-2013 - MFWK
2013-2014 - MFW1(Learning God's Story)

kw4blessings

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sat May 11, 2013 3:27 pm

I agree with Cyndi that 1A is a good place to start with Singapore to learn the way math is presented with that program. You can always speed it up. We are finishing 1st right now and just began 1A with my dd. It is going well, but I am planning to look into Math U See at our local convention in June. My dd struggles with math concepts and I think I would have trouble teaching Singapore once we got past the lower levels.
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Mom2theteam

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Sat May 11, 2013 8:53 pm

We use Singapore. But, we stared with 1A about 3 months after starting first. He will finish 1B before the summer is over. He will start with 2A either with Adv for 2nd grade or shortly after starting. (We school year round. So, we'll start Adv around mid-June even if we aren't done with 1B yet.)

If you have a child who is strong in math, I would take the placement test and place them there. If you have a child who isn't as confident in their math skills, I would probably start at 1a. Looking back, my son could have started at 1B (in early 1st grade) and I probably should have done that. So far, I haven't taught him anything he didn't already figure out on his own before me teaching it. We are staring multiplication on Monday and he already knows and understands it. He even looked ahead and mentally did a couple of the workbook pages already. Out of curiosity, I asked him if I had 9 cookies, how many would would 3 kids get each. He looked at me and said, "Mom...that's easy. 3" and smiled. We already do a couple lessons a day. We need to move faster because I know he is a bit bored. *sigh*
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

TriciaMR

What level do kids typically place in 2nd grade singapor

Unread post by TriciaMR » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:43 pm

disneymommy wrote:All I could find on the MFW website was that parents are typically pleased at the level their child places after completing MFW K and first. Do most kids who do well with MFW first begin in singapore 2A the following year? Thanks!
After 1st grade I started my twins in 1A without testing. The numbers on the Singapore books do NOT correspond to grade levels. It is expected that you will complete 5B by the end of 6th grade. There is a placement test. Some people like to go back to 1A or 1B so they get the "Singapore method" before going on to higher levels.
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

gratitude

Re: What level do kids typically place in 2nd grade singapor

Unread post by gratitude » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:59 pm

My oldest started 2A in the beginning of 2nd grade with ADV. He did 1A / 1B with MFW1 math for first; not MFW's recommendation.

My second did MFWK and MFW1 math without Singapore until the last half of first when he did 1A with MFW1 math. He started second grade with 1B.

My third did MFWK with its math and is currently finishing MFW1 Bible note book, but didn't use MFW1 math. She is about half through 1A and is in first grade. She has had a variety of math for first grade, and Singapore 1A has been part of that. She will be doing 1B for the first part of second.

It is a very advanced program, and really depends on individual children. I have seen concepts in 3A / 3B not typically taught until 5th or 6th grades with other programs; so it depends when a child is ready for that type of thinking and can work through the books. Where your younger children will place with the placement test after first grade for second grade will depend on what concepts they grasp in math, and how much they understand.

MFW recommends 5B by the end of 6th for every student, and 6B by the end of 6th if they can.

disneymommy

Unread post by disneymommy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:08 pm

Thanks! I suppose more background for my question may help :)

My current third grader is in 4A right now and my current first grader is in 1B. This was our first year with Singapore and they both tested right into the levels that corresponded with their grades in the fall . So I suppose my expectation is that my younger kids would be similar.

My 5 year old, who will be in K next year, is very bright but very, very active. He doesn't like to sit and do seat work. In fact, I've never sat with him and done any kind of addition or subtraction, yet somehow he's picked it up. In just the past couple of weeks, he's said the following:
"Sure, I can clean up 10 toys in the living room. That's only 2 and 3 and 2 and 3."
"Eight is one less than Nine."
"Seven plus five is twelve."

All without any prompting. So I guess I fear holding him back. However, since he doesn't like to sit still or focus on workbooks, I'm hoping the more hands on approach of MFW is really appealing to me for K and first.

I suppose the flip side of him just picking things up that way is that maybe I really don't need to worry about holding him back. No matter where he places in Singapore, he probably will continue to catch onto new concepts quickly.

Thanks for the answers, and the encouragement!

HSMom03

Unread post by HSMom03 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:04 pm

I think I remember reading somewhere that many kids easily place into Singapore 2A after MFW's 1st grade math. I'm new here though :P .

I wouldn't worry about holding him back though, like you said they pick up so much in real life. Math is everywhere! My oldest is that way, always teaching himself new math concepts! I am going to purchase MFW 1st grade for him soon, I can't wait! I am so excited about the math, I am not planning to supplement it at all. I think it sounds very strong. He will love it, and I know it will be perfect for him bc he is um... ALLERGIC to workbooks :D. Have you seen the math activities in the teacher's manual sample? I think you will be pleased with the simple approach (at least that's how I'd describe it!). MFW is so age-appropriate!! Oh and we are also ordering Pre-K plus enrichment items for both grades/packages (those DO look so fun!). Everyone is ordering lately, I'm thinking I should go ahead and order as well! Wish you the best.

gratitude

Unread post by gratitude » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:21 pm

disneymommy wrote:So I guess I fear holding him back. However, since he doesn't like to sit still or focus on workbooks, I'm hoping the more hands on approach of MFW is really appealing to me for K and first.
I wouldn't worry about holding him back. I don't know your son, but he sounds a lot like my oldest was at age 5. I actually didn't start my oldest until 6 1/2 due to his activity level and the fact that sitting with a pencil was honestly not an option. He started with MFW1 as his first real curriculum at 6 1/2, after being read aloud to a lot and learning much on his own (including reading). He still figures out a lot on his own. He has figured out math we aren't to yet, and still has plenty of math to learn that he needs to learn from his current book. He loves to read history and knows more than I do, and yet still has a lot to learn that he does not know from MFW history programs that tie things together. He knows a lot of Bible, but can never learn all there is to know about it in a single life time; so always much to learn there! He still needs 'school time', but I cannot possibly keep up with everything he teaches himself. Sometimes school repeats what he already learned on his own and he adds knowledge to the lesson we are doing. Sometimes he learns things he never knew before. I don't honestly think writing is something he ever would have learned without me.

So I wouldn't worry about holding him back. I would say just enjoy K while he is young; there is plenty of time as he figures things out. If you really wanted a work book for him though my second and third did Singapore Essentials A and B with MFWK math. The hands on math though in MFWK and MFW1 really is great for young kids. You might be surprised the number sense they gain from it; even when number sense is already there. :-)