Placement - Need reassurance/advice (David Hazell reply)

lyntley

Placement - Need reassurance/advice (David Hazell reply)

Unread post by lyntley » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 pm

microcarter wrote:This will be the first year I'm homeschooling my dd. She will be in 4th grade. I've decided to use all of MFW's recommendations since she's been in public school up to this point. She just finished the placement tests for Singapore Math and tested at 2A. This means that she tested basically a whole year behind in order for her to finish 5B (or higher) by the end of 6th grade as MFW recommends. Is this normal?

I spoke with MFW on the phone before the placement tests and they mentioned that if she was behind that we would need to spend more time in math in order to catch up. I'm considering having her do some math this summer so we wouldn't have to do quite so much during the school year to catch up. Any opinions?

Also, I know she has a difficult time with mental math - she still has a tendency to count on her fingers - so I'm wondering if I should start her in 1B (since it should be easier for her) instead of 2A in order to help her work on the mental math. I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not. Maybe starting in 2A will be sufficient to help her with the mental math.

This year she has begun to really dislike math and feel that she isn't good at it. Most of her struggles were with specific things though - time and measurement. No problem with multiplication or basic fractions.

I would love any input from Singapore users. Thanks!
My DD (going into 4th) placed 2A at the beginning of the year also. She hated math and we have always had lots of tears. I started her in 1A so she could get the feel of how Singapore works and also to give her confidence.

It was very easy for her but was also fun as she was able to do many lessons a day. I let her do as much as she wanted but at least 2 lessons a day. (The lessons are very short) She moved quickly through 1A, 1B, 2A and 2B this year. And now says she really likes math!!! yay! She will be going into 5th grade this fall and will be working through 3A and 3B. Now that she is understanding the mental math and 2A and 2B have also gone quickly I am thinking she may be able to move through to 4A and B next year as well.

The nice thing about Homeschooling is that you are able to work at the child's level. And the object is that they learn it not the speed at which they learn it. I'm just happy DD is learning and finally enjoying it. You would probably be fine starting where your little one placed, it was just my personal preference to go all the way back. I loved the MFW lesson plans and the math windows for drills. MFW has wonderful suggestions.
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

ChristyH

Unread post by ChristyH » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:22 am

My dd is starting fifth and last Jan. placed in 2a but we have been going faster as long as she understands it. I am hoping to finish 2b before the end of the summer. Math is not her strong suit. We love singapore though. It's not nearly as time consuming as our last program.
Married Scott, 1992
Erin, 13
Connor, 10
Gavin, 10
ECC 2007-2008
CTG 2008-2009
RTR 2009-2010
1850 to modern times 2011

lyntley

Unread post by lyntley » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:29 am

I personally think fingers are a great manipulative. They don't get lost and toddlers cant swallow them...
Lynnette: Wife and Mother by the will of God.
ECC 07/08 with 9,7, and 2
CTG 08/09 with 10,8, and 3
www.homeschoolblogger.com/lyntley

mamanamadee

Unread post by mamanamadee » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:43 am

I always did very well in math and tested high on standardized tests (public school) and I still sometimes count on my fingers, out loud, or with little patterns of dots on my paper. I don't find that it causes me any problems.
2010-2011 preparing for MFW CTG in the fall
2009-2010 MFW 1st and pre-K/toddler toys
2008-2009 MFW ECC, K, and pre-K/toddler toys
dd12, dd7, ds3

microcarter

Thanks everyone!

Unread post by microcarter » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:32 pm

The replies from everyone has helped me clarify in my mind where my daughter is really at with math and what is most important. I also went to the Singapore web site and looked at the samples in the textbooks and workbooks.

Also, my son (who I homeschooled this year for kindergarten) tested at an almost 2nd grade level for math and I realize two big reasons for that was because I did so much verbal math with him this year AND if he didn't get something when I explained it one way then I would find a different way until he had an "AH-HAH!" moment. My dd has never had that advantage since she has been in public school up to this point - major time issues involved with public! Since that will change this year, I believe (and pray) we will see a difference.

Thanks for the input and helping me to think this through. I feel much better about what is to come. I'm not even an official MFW user yet and I already appreciate this board.

Also, since my husband and I decided what to do with the math issue, we put in our very first order with MFW!!! Yea!
Angie

dh of 22 years Danny
dd Sage 11
ds Knox 7
ds Kase 4

Julie in MN

Re: Need reassurance/advice

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm

microcarter wrote:This year she has begun to really dislike math and feel that she isn't good at it. Most of her struggles were with specific things though - time and measurement. No problem with multiplication or basic fractions.
If there's no problem with multiplication or basic fractions, you've got it made! However, if you are just bringing her home, and she is already disliking math, I would make math fun for a good solid month or so. Starting at an easy level is a great idea. You could also:

* play math games
* do the measurement activities in the B Singapore books using hands-on things like water
* reinforce basic math facts in simple ways that appeal to her -- make her own flashcards with pictures of items, make a game of war or lotto, race a timer for 50 problems, play an online math facts game, etc

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

BostonMom

Unread post by BostonMom » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi--Singapore is a great program. My kids just finished 3A at the end of 3rd grade, and so will begin 4th with 3B. I don't think of them as behind at all. In fact, they both scored in the highest percentiles on their standardized tests in April (94th and 99th), and we hadn't even finished 3A. One of my kids is a girl who is convinced she's "bad" at math. When I showed her her math score, she grinned. Priceless!

I wouldn't worry at all about starting with 2A. She'll probably fly through the book and really enjoy it. Lots of days we would do 2 and 3 lessons a day if they were easy, then we would slow down on the harder stuff.

Blessings to your year!

david

Unread post by david » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:52 pm

Quick testimony.

Today at the Ohio Convention I met a mom and her now 6th grader. Last year the child was in 5th grade and hated math. Everything they did was stressful. He made the switch to Singapore and tested back in 2A. Now in 18 months the child is finishing up 6a and 6b. He loves math and they are moving on Saxon 87.

FYI. Singapore works best when children are placed properly. Backing up can be the best thing that one can do the help a child move forward.

Blessings David
Have a Great Day in OUR Father's World,

David Hazell

Julie in MN

How to catch up w/ Singapore

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:36 am

joy2BAMom wrote:We switched to Singapore last year. When he took the placement tests he placed in 1A so we started there. It was more important to me for him to not have any gaps or not to start it at a too difficult level for him. So here we are nearing the end of his '4th' grade year and he just completed 2B. Looking back I wish we had hurried through 1A and 1B to make up some of that time. But we didn't.

Finishing 5B by end of 6th seems doable (though difficult). I know my only option is to just keep plugging along and not taking any math breaks. Ho hum... :~ Doesn't seem like a plan that will foster much love and enthusiasm for math, however! This too shall pass...
Sherrie,
Just to encourage you, I did feel like the older my son got, the more readily he absorbed the abstractness of new math concepts. Borrowing and carrying, up through long division, was a bear for him to wrap his brain around as a youngster, and we also spent lots of extra time. But by around 5th grade, new math concepts were not totally brain-splitting -- for him, at least! Plus, in levels 5 & 6, Singapore definitely spent more time on review, so maybe there just wasn't as much "new" stuff, either.

Julie

cbollin

Re: How to catch up w/ Singapore

Unread post by cbollin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:06 am

just a bit more encouragement too....

Your older child might find that as the Singapore books continue, some sections will be easier to work on for several lessons per day. I know my current 5th grader (my middle child) was finding the last sections of 4B as zipping through stuff with ease. volume of solids section. I know at the end of her 4th grade year she was at the end of 3B.

I know my oldest was able from middle of 5th grade-end of 6th grade do a lot of the books. She didn't start Singapore until middle of 5th grade and got through 4B-6B.

praying for the light to click on with 3A/3B with multiplication and division stuff. Even with 2 lessons a day in summer, you might find you get more ground without too much work. take it a summer and semester at at time. Some parts of the B books will go faster. hang in there...((hugs))

and here's a very encouraging testimony that David Hazell shared a while back on this thread....
[above]

-crystal

hsmom

Unread post by hsmom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:35 am

another idea. We do math year round. Also I think on some of the practices they are repetetive. So, if he does great on 2a, you might be able to skip most sections of 2b if it follows right behind 2a.

Teresa in TX

Unread post by Teresa in TX » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:55 am

If it is any comfort to you, we started 3b in about November of my ds' 5th grade year. He is at the end of 6th right now and is finishing 5b at the moment. He was able to do 3b, 4a, 4b, 5a, and almost done with 5b in a year and a half, taking off for the full summer. You can pick up the pace on those if need be. I think ds finished 3b in about 6 weeks. 5b has taken us the longest so far. I'd go ahead and work through the summer. You can do 45 minutes of math per day and probably get through them more quickly. You could even go through, say, the month of June then get one of the practice books on the level he just finished and let him work on that for July to make sure he has all the concepts down. If you were able to start 3a by the beginning of the school year, you could do 3 levels throughout this coming school year then 3 levels the next. I would recommend, though, supplying more time for 5b. The math does take more time at that level. We quit being able to speed through them at that point. ;) It is very doable, IMO.
Teresa, Mom of 5: 15yo dd, 12yo ds, 7yo ds, 5yo ds, and 1yo ds

4th year with MFW
Using:
MFW 1st w/ 7yo ds
MFW RtR w/ 7th grade ds
MFW World History with 10th grade dd
So far we have used: ECC, 1850-Present, CTG, RtR, High School Ancients and MFW K

joy2BAMom

Unread post by joy2BAMom » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:01 am

hsmom: Thank you! I have given in to the idea that we will have to do math all summer! Now I am going to have a GREAT attitude about it. :-) Thank you for your encouragement!

Teresa: Thank you so much. It is good to hear from someone who was able to accomplish this. Thanks for responding!
Sherrie- wife to Jay for 10 years
Mom to 10 yo boy, 7 yo girl, 3 yo girl, and new baby on the way (due April Fool's Day 2011)

cbollin

1st grade math/phonics

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:27 pm

extrafor6 wrote:This fall will be our first year to use MFW 1st grade. I have used Abeka Phonics and Singapore math, with great success, with my first two daughters. Will using the MFW program as written provide a similar scope and sequence? Will my dd be ready to go into Singapore 2A after using MFW 1st for math?
This pariticular dd is young for her grade as she has a September birthday (will be 6), but she's done well with Abeka/Singapore K. I wouldn't really think of changing at this point, but after hearing David Hazell and looking at the math activities, the MFW math appeals to me. I have a hard time making changes that lead to unknown outcomes...but such is life! :)
Just hoping to get some feedback from those who have gone before me.
Thanks,
Stephanie
If you use MFW 1st grade for math, you will want to take placement test before they start Singapore Primary Mathematics in 2nd grade. Some students will place into 2A; some will place in 1B; some start in 1A. It's more about what the student is ready for and learned. Some students do place into 2A. My middle gal (not a super advanced academic.. just average, placed into 1B, but I decided to start in 1A from the beginning. we went a little faster in 1A and it all worked out.

The 2A and 2B books are not necessarily "2nd grade". A student who finishes Singapore 5B at the end of 6th grade is prepared for SAxon 87 prealgebra.

hmm... where o where is it...... somewhere is a list of goals in math in mfw first grade....

phonics wise? MFW covers all necessary phonics for independent reading by two-thirds of the way through first grade... I think(?) Abeka sequence in phonics compared to MFW is faster in K, slower in 1st, and finally finishes in 2nd.
Again.. if you hit a plateau in learning to read with mfw 1st... check out this archived thread from david hazell. classic thread
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3313
extrafor6 wrote:Thanks for this...all my dc use Singapore and I "know" they don't have to be in their number for their grade, but it's that public school mindset :)
even in the public school mindset..... if you go to teacher supply stores and get the "frank shaffer publications" that model themselves to go with Singapore Math... it says on the cover 4B - for use in 3rd grade.

gratitude

Re: 1st grade math/phonics

Unread post by gratitude » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:32 pm

From my understanding most people who use MFW1 math start with 1A, but usually test into 1B. Correct? That is what I remember reading on the board the most over the past two years.

My first son did Horizon K for Kindergarten math and Singapore 1A/1B for first grade math with the MFW1 program, we did not use the MFW1 math.
My second son did Singapore 1A with MFW1 math for first grade math this year; I took the Singapore slowly since he was also doing MFW1 math. He also had done MFWK math.
My third child, dd, is doing Early bird Singapore A and B with MFWK; we will not be doing MFWK math.

I love and enjoy teaching Singapore math.

If you are interested though in teaching MFW1 math you could do it alone and start Singapore in second or do both as I did this year; but I slowed Singapore way down to do it.

I hope this doesn't confuse you. The math in MFW is great, I just wanted to give you different ideas of how it can be done and has worked for us.
Last edited by gratitude on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:37 pm

gratitude wrote: From my understanding most people who use MFW1 math start with 1A, but usually test into 1B. Correct? That is from reading on the board.
I think mfw 's recommendation is to take placement test with Singapore no matter what you used the year before..... and that proper placement in levels is a good thing. In my case, I just knew my child was going to be better served by letting me learn the program with her and not rush it.....

"Most mfw users" never chime in. I think dhudson's children actually placed into 2A after doing MFW 1st.... (reserving the right to be wrong)

afelton

Unread post by afelton » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:33 pm

I used MFW 1st with my son 6 this year and used Saxon 1 for math. He tested into 1B in Singapore. I am still going to start with 1A to make sure he really gets the Singapore style before we move on. I am going to use MFW 1 math this next year with my daughter. I am just coming to really trust MFW recommendations. I love the hands-on approach to the MFW math. Wish I had used it with my son.
Using MFW since 2010.
Wife of Terry since 2002.
M (12) Exp to 1850
H(10) Exp to 1850
E (10) Learning God's Story(recently adopted)
C(8) Exp to 1850
J(6) Learning God's Story

DaniWestRN

Unread post by DaniWestRN » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:36 am

I belong to many forums for other topics which include families all over the US with kids in public school and recently the subject of 1st grade math came up on one of these groups. From that sample group, it quickly became clear to me that Singapore Math is NOT ahead in it's numbering. There may have been a time that it was, but in my state the scope and sequence was recently upped for math and again Singapore is no longer "ahead".

In any case, I realized midway through 1st grade that my eldest was "behind" in math. Now some of that is my fault because the way MFW 1 recommends math to be done just doesn't work for me. I'm sure there are many for whom it works great. I just need a workbook with a set amount to cover and then add stuff. We switched to Singapore 1A and made great strides. She will start 2nd grade in Singapore 1B. I realize public school is not really a marker and we will have a much easier time making up ground. But I do care that were my child to enter public school with any of my friends' children she would most definitely be behind.
Obviously, this is my experience and reflects what is important to me so your mileage may vary. :)

As far as phonics goes I found this to be correct.
cbollin wrote: phonics wise? MFW covers all necessary phonics for independent reading by two-thirds of the way through first grade... I think(?) Abeka sequence in phonics compared to MFW is faster in K, slower in 1st, and finally finishes in 2nd.
Danielle, Mommy to DD#1- 3rd/ECC, DS#1 -2nd/ECC, DD#2- K, DS#2- pre-K, and DD#3- learning to toddle

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:58 am

While I probably agree that 1a and 1B can be topics covered in most first grade.....
I do still strongly think that by 3A and 3B... Singapore pulls ahead of the game. The way it goes more in depth with how to solve problems, versus setting them up... carries a longer way.

All of that to say.. that a student who finishes 5B in 6th grade is not behind at all. They are ready for Saxon 87 prealgebra and have covered plenty of topics and material in that book.
A student who finishes 6B in 6th grade might end up like my child and place into Algebra I... not a good plan to use algebra I in 7th grade in many cases...

So if one is basing it only on 1st grade... eh? the way topics are covered in later years, Singapore really shines ahead.

The Complete Book of Math is also 1st and 2nd grade material.

all of that to say... if structured approach is important... lots of options.....

hopefully to encourage Dani..... you might be surprised at how your child catches up and gets ahead. nothign wrong with doing singapore 1B with 2nd grader... my middle gal is the one who (has delays) finished Singapore 5B in 6th grade and did awesome in Saxon 87.

My oldest did MUS from Kindy through Zeta and finished their sequence in middle of 5th grade. She placed into Singapore 4B. Did 4b-6b in the next year and a half. saxon 87, alge I, Jacobs Geometry and Saxon Alg II. starts Advanced in the fall...
Singapore's strong sequence really helped a lot. I may not have every text out there to compare it to.. but Singapore just is among the strong stuff out there.

The foundation with mental math approach for learning how to think about a problem like 72-16 without having to stack it and regroup.. not sure that is in all first grade programs. that still scares me in that 1A book p. 66.... so, it's not really so much about topics.. but how it is approached that goes into part of my answer about the program being a little more advanced and that you shouldn't feel bad if the placement test starts you at a book number lower than your USA grade level age.

Middle gal - has some delays. She finished 5B at end of 6th grade. She did great in Saxon 87 with no trouble. She places way ahead on standardized tests than grade level.

but, that's just my limited experiences with my kiddos over long term.
-crystal

Julie in MN

Singapore Math

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm

mothermayi wrote:Are you using Singapore Math? If you didn't begin SM in kindy, how was it switching an older child to the SM method? I have a child that use to love math but hate the different curriculum choices (Saxon, Rod and Staff, MUS). I'm wondering if SM would work but I hear the methodology takes some getting use to. Ideas?
My son started homeschooling in 3rd grade and, after trying a few things, we settled on Singapore (before MFW carried a math program). So, he was "transitioning" from whatever he used in public school, over to Singapore. He went from saying nothing I tried would ever convince him to like math, to math being his favorite even today (rising 12th grader). Of course, he has his regularly-scheduled bumps-in-the-road, but I feel Singapore was a major contribution to his liking math, understanding math, and doing very well in higher maths.

I'm not sure what age you are wondering about, but here are a couple of fun posts about successfully switching in older elementary:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... =25#p86625
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 931#p81161
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 931#p45789

Keep asking if you have more questions,
Julie
mothermayi wrote:Thanks, Julie! My son is 9 1/2. He is beginning 5th grade. Off to read the links! Thanks :-).

hsm

Re: Singapore Math

Unread post by hsm » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:55 pm

I started both of my girls on Singapore in March of this year. They were public schooled until November of last year (2012). I pulled them out as 2nd and 5th graders. We started our hs journey using Horizons for the younger and Teaching Textbooks for the older. I decided to make the switch in March when I knew I was going to be going with MFW this school year. I wanted the girls to have a better understanding of math concepts instead of just the plug and solve techniques.

My daughters hated math but they like Singapore a lot. I won't say love because math is not their favorite but the like it as much as they can ;) And, I will say that it is a different method but they have both adjusted nicely and my older daughter really appreciates the new method and how things are clicking with her now. I started her in 2B and we are working hard to get her through 5B by the end of this school year when she finishes 6th grade. She works for 2 half hour increments in the day and gets a whole lot done in that time. I did let her take a break this summer which was not my intention but the time just got away from me :~ so she may have to spend a little more time on math each day or do some on a Saturday morning. We will see how it goes. I am very glad we made the switch (so far).

Hope that helps!
mothermayi wrote:I'm not sure where my son will place. We completed the test for 2A and he passed so we will the test for 2B tomorrow. He is going into 5th grade and I cringe at the idea of having him math on Saturdays (we already do math during the summer). I don't want him to burned out. How has your dd handled it thus far? Is there any other way to help kids caught up while minimizing burnout? Also, if the child finishes 6B, what skills will they have? Will they ready for Algebra 1?
My daughter could have done 3A or *maybe* even 3B from the start, but I started her back a bit just to get the hang of the method and because she disliked math so much I was afraid to start her at a higher level and have the method be too difficult to grasp. So far she has not had to do Saturdays and honestly I don't know if she will need to. She gets a LOT done in the hour she works. I have to break it up into 2 periods because she loses focus easily (her weakness). She has been quite a trooper. I had talked to her upfront about our goal and that she needed to be committed to this goal. It is "our" goal and if she wasn't on board I wouldn't have done it because I didn't want math to be a point of contention for us. She "enjoys" Singapore (as much as she can enjoy math that is). She likes learning the new method and has stated that she actually understands math better. She was always good at math but she has a stellar memory. Now, she is not just memorizing and plugging, but really "getting it". I only plan to get through 5B at which point we will attempt Saxon which you said your son hated, so I don't know what you would do. I believe MFW recommends Saxon 8/7 after Singapore 5B.

mothermayi wrote:Ds placed in 3A. I'm really hoping Singapore works for him because we can't keep switching. We'll never get out of 4th grade math if we switch every year ;) . Ds is technically a 4th grader doing 5th grade work this year so it gives us a little time to catch up using Singapore. Now, he HATES Saxon with a passion. So where would he go after Singapore? What are some other strong math programs that go throughout high school? Thanks!
I know what you mean about continually switching and I have only been homeschooling for a few months! I have only switched this one time but I am determined to stick with Singapore for the very reason you mention...moving forward and not sitting one grade level permanently. :) My daughter enjoyed Teaching Textbooks initially but she got tired of it. It just wasn't her style. I think it could be a good program if you stick through it. Some say it is "behind" and I think it may be somewhat. She did TT5 as a 5th grader and it was way too easy for her but she is advanced as well (as you said your son is). I think if you stick with one program all the way through you will eventually get everything. That is just my opinion but I am extremely new at this so take it for what it's worth. I have friends that LOVE Teaching Textbooks. I have no knowledge or experience with anything else. I have heard reviews that Rod and Staff math is nice but I don't really have any idea other than what I have read. I hope I helped a little?
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:29 am

You've been very helpful. Thank you!

Hey, do you find SM to be pretty abstract? If so, do you mind listing some examples? I can't find samples of the books online and I'd love to see some of the more abstract problems.

Thanks!
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

hsm

Unread post by hsm » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:36 am

I am not sure that it is abstract rather than more visual and requires thinking. It focuses on mental math. Let me try to explain what I mean. By visual, I mean, the book uses pictures to explain concepts. This works for my kids as they need to see it to understand it. I am afraid I can't explain this in words to give it justice. If you look at the Christianbook website and search for Singapore US editions (specify which level you want), they have a nice selection of samples for each book. The textbook is what you use to teach and the workbook is what the kids actually do the work in. Look at the samples and that might explain it better.

By extra thinking what I mean is the word problems are more challenging than I have seen in other curriculum. They make the child think. they don't give you 2 numbers and have you plug them together to get an answer. You actually have to think about how to solve the problem. Boy, I am really having a hard time finding an example. It is early and I have kids crawling on me. Let me do some more looking for some examples and I will post back. In the meantime, take a look at christianbook samples online. I will try to dig up an example to help explain what I mean.

I think there are some threads on here about the Singapore methods also. I have read some good ones. I will see if I can find some to help you. http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... ard#p92897
This one above was a good one. Can you copy and paste that?

I can give you an example of the mental math. 98 + 42 = ? Normally, a you would stack them up and add the 2 and 8, carrying the one over then adding to the 9 and 4. Mental math teaches them to take the 2 extra ones from the 42 and give them to the 98 to make 100. Now you have 100 plus 40 to get 140. Does that make sense? I am sorry, my brain is mush this morning and we haven't been doing math in awhile so the examples are not fresh on my mind.

Sorry this is so rambling...I need more coffee :-)
Lori-IL
K/ECC, CtG/Learning God's Story
dd-12, dd-9, ds-6

mothermayi

Unread post by mothermayi » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:53 pm

Hsm,
Thanks for the link. It was very helpful! I particularly liked cbollin's analogy of the stairs versus the elevator!
Returning to MFW for 2015!! :-)
ds13 (8th)--MFW EX1850, EG, WWS, PP Guides, TT 2.0 Pre-Algebra
ds11.5 (7th)--MFW EX1850, AOG, WWS, PP Guides, Singapore 5B-6B
dd7 (2nd)--MFW EX1850, LLFT2, Miquon, AAS1
dd5--MFW K

yvonneh

Unread post by yvonneh » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:43 am

What Lori is doing is pretty much my plan as well and for similar reasons. My dd, 4th grade, tested into 2B, but we're starting in 2A just to help her get the feel of Sngapore and to cover a few of the topics (like measurement) she missed totally on her test. I plan to have her work in two 20-minute sessions a day to help her along toward completing 5B. I also plan to have her work next summer, but we'll see. She is most resistnet to math, so I'm hoping she'll tolerate Singapore and go with it. :)
Yvonne
wife to Pete since 2002
born again believer since 2005
mom to 3 dd:
--elizabeth, 9
--abigail, 6
--faith, 3
ECC 2013-2014
Learning God's Story (1st) 2013-2014