Hands-on - Will Singapore have enough for my child?

Lucy

Hands-on - Will Singapore have enough for my child?

Unread post by Lucy » Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 am

Hi Irma,

I am not sure what is the right decision for you but I do know after using another program that was quite hands-on that moving to Singapore was a good decision for us. I have also come to trust MFW's decision as I know that they looked at many programs before choosing Singapore.

I have found that Singapore does have quite a bit of hands-on activities in the book which can be done with your on manipulitives(there is a current disscussion about that on another thread). In the upper level books they actually have a few hands-on activities that they have the child do from the textbook.

I do not know anything about the program you are considering, but if you have 2 programs that teach in a similar way but one takes less time each day I would choose that one. You can always spend more time by doing another lesson for that day but it is hard if a lesson is taking along time to shorten it. Also consider that at age 7 you may not mind spending more time on math but your daughter may. What I mean by this is you do not want to burn her out because you can spend more time. Here attention to learn a concept each day may only be 20-30 mins. I hope that makes sense.

You also mentioned your K child. Will you be using MFW K? If so it will include math which is very hands-on and you will not need another program.

I hope these thoughts are helpful as you think about what is best for your family.
Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

TurnOurHearts

Unread post by TurnOurHearts » Thu May 08, 2008 7:00 am

I'll just tag on a couple of thoughts:

My son is a very visual learner & Singapore has been great for him. He literally begs to do more math each day. Better to have begging for more, saying no & anticipation for the next day's lesson than any level or form of dread, right? ;)

Also, if you can start with a program that is fun, short & inexpensive, why not start there? If something isn't working, you can certainly change, but I would be less likely to change if I'd invested a lot of money in another math program, KWIM?

HTH :)