Math Facts - Flashcards & Math Windows - helps, alternatives

nehschooler2three

Math Facts - Flashcards & Math Windows - helps, alternatives

Unread post by nehschooler2three » Sat May 03, 2008 10:58 pm

Math Windows & Time
Homeschooling6 wrote:Math Windows & Time - How many minutes do you give for the sub. & add. ones? I have been giving them 2 minutes. I have a 1st, 2nd & 4th grader. Should I give them all the same time? After they complete them in a certain time, are they supposed to complete them in less time? We usually use Calculadder drills but the kiddos want to use the windows right now.

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:16 pm

We do 5 minutes for our 4th grader. I can't remember if it's in the book or if I pulled it from somewhere else, but that's what we use.

LizCT

Re: Math Windows & Time

Unread post by LizCT » Sat May 03, 2008 10:59 pm

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:47 pm

Linda, last year when my dd was 7, I called the MFW office and spoke with David about timed drills. I was concerned that my dd was not doing math drills within 2 minutes on paper.

He mentioned that it is one thing to know the answers to math facts and another thing entirely to get that information from your brain down to your arm and onto paper quickly. He said that for her age, doing a page in five minutes would be great!

Since then, I have backed off - my daughter does not do well when timed, and she is doing much better. We are doing more with flashcards now too. Sometimes I will run a timer just to see how long the drills take her, and she is improving!
Liz

Julie - Staff

Re: Math Windows & Time

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Sat May 03, 2008 11:01 pm

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:49 am

I give 5 minutes also. I give a reward occasionally if they can get a certain amount correct in that time. To make sure there is a challenge and reward. DD is ready to move to a shorter amount of time as she has been completing them (add and sub) before the timer. My kiddies Love these.

dhudson

Math Facts - Flashcard helps & alternatives

Unread post by dhudson » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Cyndi (WA) wrote:My dd is driving me crazy. Yep - I admitted it. She has never liked doing flash cards, but today was a true adventure. Here's what happened -

After about three cards, she's too hot, so I agree to sitting on the floor. Then she starts rolling around on the floor. (I'm used to that kind of constant movement behavior, so I'm OK.) Then about half-way through the cards, she starts writing the answer in the carpet with her finger in about 10" size numbers instead of speaking. I decided to just accept that as an answer because she was actually answering them quickly doing it that way. Then, when we had about 10 cards left, she started jumping up off the floor and running to write the answer on the white board. I let her finish it out that way because I was practicing slow breathing.

So my question is -- how do you "do flash cards" with such a kinesthetic learner? Are they necessary at age 7? Would playing music while doing them help? I really need some pointers! My dh thinks it's hilarious, which helps me laugh about it instead of scream, but he's no help because he's as active as she is! :-) Is there anything I can do besides pray for patience?
I can tell you what I do with my wiggly 7 yr olds and flash cards. For every 2 cards they get right they get a m&m, for every 2 cards they get wrong they get one taken away. A pile of candy is a powerful motivator. :-) Mine also enjoy practicing math with Leapster games.
God Bless,
Dawn
http://www.shiningexamples.blogspot.com
blessed Mom of three - 16, 13 & 13
happy user of MFW since 2002

Jenn in NC

Re: Flash card help . . . Trish? . . . anyone? please?

Unread post by Jenn in NC » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:11 pm

Cyndi (WA) wrote:She has never liked doing flash cards, but today was a true adventure.
Sorry, not Trish. Just Jenn. But this made me laugh. :)

I have no help to offer you as flashcards have always been considered by most of my children to be torture devices. We just use various games, and computer programs like Quarter Mile Math.

Hope you get some good advice. Jumping jacks while doing the flashcards, maybe? The m&m's sound like a good idea to me...
mommy to four boys & two girls... and another boy on the way :)
completed K, 1st, ADV, ECC, CTG and RTR
2009--2010 Enjoying Exploration to 1850

mamaofredheads

Unread post by mamaofredheads » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:20 pm

I feel your pain. :-) Maybe you could choose ONE moving activity per day to do along with flash cards...i.e. today you can jump on the trampoline while you tell me the answers...today you can do jumping jacks while you give me the answers, etc. We switched to math copywork, which worked for one, and now we're doing Right Start math games. They are really fun & so worth the $ in my opinion.

Glenna

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:02 pm

I'd pick your battles & ditch the flashcards. There are lots of other ways to practice math facts. Just be sure she knows that one method or other will be done. Who knows, maybe she'll decide flashcards are the better evil :~

Here are some ideas for math facts:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1141

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

Mommyto2

Unread post by Mommyto2 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:20 pm

If you're able to go outside, try writing the numbers in chalk on the driveway and she can run to the answer....

TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:33 pm

Your frustration is she changed activities every 10 cards... But, she gave you some great ideas with what to do next time ;)

With my dd, I tried to limit it to one activity - but perhaps reduce the cards to a set of 10 or 20 - ones she tends to have trouble with. Say, "Today when we do flashcards, you get to jump on the mini-tramp. But, you have to do all 10 cards on the mini-tramp, no changing." Then, the next day, do the next 10 at the white board, etc.

But, if she really hates them, drill another way. Play CandyLand math, using the flashcards. If she gets the answer right, she gets to move that many spaces (or Chutes -n- Ladders with flashcards instead of the spinner). Or, play Math war - you each get half a deck, each lay out a card, if she can tell you what they add to, she wins.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Ariasarias

Unread post by Ariasarias » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:56 pm

Just to add to your options -- flashcards haven't been a real winner here :)
My dd rolls 2 dice and writes the answer on the dry erase board.
We also have used the math sense blocks in the same way.
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

gressman9

Unread post by gressman9 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:31 pm

We actually never use flashcards (gasp!). We do our drill on the mathusee website half of the time. My children like that better. We also found a free online downloadable game called Times Attack for multiplication practice. We just used the free edition and my 7 yr old went from barely knowing his 2's to passing all the way through 12s this year!

There is really no reason to use flash cards themselves if your child views them as torture. Just look for a more fun way to review the facts.

Carylee
mom2seven

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 pm

TriciaMR wrote:Your frustration is she changed activities every 10 cards... But, she gave you some great ideas with what to do next time ;)
HA! I guess you're right! :) And, limiting the cards to 10-20 a day would be easier on both of us. I can see letting her do something active for 10 cards. (Hope you feel better soon, too!)

Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas! That was also a very good link that Julie listed! The Lesson Plan book says, "use flash cards" and I read it as "EVERY CHILD MUST USE FLASH CARDS FOR EVERY NUMBER EVERYDAY." Silly mommy. I feel so relieved now, though. My dd loves the leapster games, and would probably really like the board game ideas, too. She loved Math Windows last year and I haven't pulled them out since. I'll have her get on the MUS website tomorrow and see how that goes.

Thanks again!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

niki

Unread post by niki » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:22 pm

I had the lauri number's from the preschool MFW set. I'd have a kid run and pick up the numbers for the answers or just pull the numbers out of the pile...it was fun for a while.
Niki

Strong Tower Academy
EX1850
DD 6th DS 5th DD 3rd

DS4home

need additional help with multiplication tables

Unread post by DS4home » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 am

Kelly1730 wrote:My fourth grade sons are still struggling with multiplication tables. My goodness, we have been working on these since 2nd grade, no wonder they are getting discouraged! We've done flash cards, the wrap-up thing (forgetting it's official name;), computer games, worksheets etc. I know it's something they just have to memorize but it's not coming easily. Any suggestions? Any games (I'm thinking more like card or board games than computer, unless something really helped than that's good too!)? I appreciate your input.
I've been in the same boat. If they are like my son, they probably know most of them but trip up on the hard ones.

If you can, pinpoint exactly which ones they don't know, typically some of the 6x, 7x, and 8x. Pick one a week to master. Write it on the bathroom mirror with dry erase marker, have him write it out several times for copywork time one day, recite it orally after doing the memory verse, incorporate it throughout your day all day long. They will know it by the end of the week, if not within a couple of days :) Next week do it again with a different times problem.

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

TriciaMR

Re: need additional help with multiplication tables

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:29 am

This sounds bad... But when I was in 4th I hadn't mastered my multiplication facts either. I was staying with my grandmother for the summer, and before I could go play everyday I had to copy them from the encyclopedia. I hated it, but I learned them.

2 of my kids are dyslexic, and it just takes them longer to learn those math facts. I let them do games at fun4thebrain dot com, do flash cards, and have now added them to their copy work.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:00 am

Yes, games! The Singapore Home Instructor Guides have one that's like the card game War. You take a dice and a little masking tape to make the dice only have the numbers you are working with - say 6, 7, 8, and 9. Then I think you multiply your card by the number you roll? You can also take the face cards out and when you each turn over a card, see who can multiply the two cards fastest (accurately), like War -- or have each person lay down two cards instead of just one and multiply them, and the winner is fastest or has the greatest product. Uno cards work well for these kinds of games, too.

You can really make most simple board games around your house into multiplication practice by just requiring that everyone multiply their number by another number before they can move, and playing fast.

Simple bingo sheets can be found online and you can fill in math equations or products, and call out the opposite, or shake 2 dice & find that product on the bingo board.

You can also play "memory" by turning up two cards that multiply to make a certain number, or make index cards to match the problem (e.g. 5x6) and the solution (e.g. 30).

Or you can adapt Go Fish rules to number cards and ask for two cards that "equal" your card (do you have a 5 and a 6, or do you have a 5x6, depending on what kinds of cards you have or make).

Games were fun at our house. If you aren't good at winging it or following vague instructions like mine :~ then you can also buy pre-made card games that are fairly inexpensive like Multiplication War & Math War (where the cards have the equation & you call out answer), Snap It Up, Math Smart, or the 24 Game. You can also find a few board games like Multiplication Bingo, S'Math, Multifactor, etc.
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

sewgirlie

Unread post by sewgirlie » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:55 pm

We have fought with this at our house too. We were able to get Times Tales from our library and that helped some. I see they have a dvd and we're excited to try it with our next child.

We have also used an on-line game called Times Attack.

Right now we're using The Complete Book of Math Timed Tests. Instead of using it the way you're 'sposed to we have our DD race against her little brother. He (6 year old) does addition facts up to 6 and she does multiplication or division. It puts them on a level playing field.

Take heart, my daughter's public school friends couldn't believe she was still working on these, because they're not. But- they don't know them either!!! ;)

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 am

Thanks for all the suggestions:) My plan is to continue working on them through the summer and maybe we can get this accompished. I know the boys will be happier and so will I!
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

terick89

Unread post by terick89 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:14 pm

I have a 6th grade girl who has struggled with the times tables since 3rd grade! Last week I started Times Tales with her and I already see an improvement! I can actually see her brain working these things out by the stories that go along with those harder facts. I'm amazed at this program. I am not having her do any Math right now...only these. She hit a wall with dividing by double digit divisors, so we're on a break from her regular Math and only doing the Times Tales every day! I have been at my wits end trying to find something for her that would make the multiplication facts finally stick and be meaningful for her. Obviously, she needed these memory devices to help her! Times Tales has a website or you can Google it. Hope this encourages you.

Teri
DD, 12
DS, 12
DS, 12
CtG 2010-11
RtR 2011-12
Teri
DD, 13
DS, 13
DS, 13
CtG 2010-11, RtR 2011-12, Exp. to 1850 2012-13

Ohmomjacquie

Unread post by Ohmomjacquie » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:40 am

Queen homeschool sells math facts copy work. The idea being that you have them copy instead of drill sheets because if they see it wrong they may remember the wrong way. I'm thinking about getting it for my daughter for addition/subtraction.
Jacquie
2012-13 Adventures
2013-2014 ECC & K
Mom to:
Chelsea (9) Hunter (5) Natalie (4) & Alison July 2013
See MFW in action @ http://www.myblessingshomeschool.com