Retention of different skills

kellybell

Retention of different skills

Unread post by kellybell »

mgardenh wrote:DD knows her math facts and is learning the math just fine. But when we do the review pages of the math when it switches from one type of problem to another dd starts missing the problems until I point out to her what she is doing. When it is the same problem type on the page she does just fine. I know she knows how to do the review stuff.

DD is on the Autism spectrum (very high) I'm thinking that it is the transition from one type of problem to the next. I ask her is it hard to move from one problem type to another and she says yes it is. Any ideas on how to help her?
Here's what I would do in your case:

1. Before doing a review sheet, have her sit down with a highlighter (or a set of them) and look at each problem. Have her highlight each operation (such as a plus sign or divide sign). Have her answer the question: "What do you do to that problem?" You might want to go as far as highlighting the addition problems pink and the subtraction green. Whatever works.

2. When she does the review sheet, have her say things out loud if that helps. If she is embarrassed saying things out loud, have her read them to her teddy bear.

3. Make a cheat sheet of words like "more than" or "altogether" to help her figure out word problems.

4. Sit next to her as she does the math. Watch what she does or require her to talk her way through them.

5. If she misses some, have her redo them. Not as punishment but to remind her to look first.

6. Have her do just a few at a time. Maybe 3 math problems, then do some spelling, three more problems, and write a letter to grandma, three more, and eat lunch, etc.

7. Have a goal for review sheets. Maybe not a perfect sheet but only miss 1 or 2 problems. No punishment if she doesn't meet the goal but a nice reward if she does (walk to the park, having a friend over, choosing a new sticker book, etc.) Maybe double the reward if she can have perfect review sheet. Some kids do well with this, some don't.

8. Try math at a different time of day when she is "fresher."

9. Try math in a quieter room. Or if quiet is stressful, in a nice room with background music.

10. Create a little sheet with windows in it. Position the window so that only the current problem is showing. Maybe the other problems on the page are a distraction. Or maybe write down each problem in a small memo book, one problem per page.

Just some ideas.
Kelly, wife to Jim since 1988, mom to Jamie (a girl, 1994), Mary (1996), Brian (1998) and Stephanie (2001).
HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine »

Some of it is just sitting with them and reminding them to look at the sign on the problem. It will get better with time and practice. How about a little note-card that tells her to identify the operation before beginning the problem. Make it bright and be prepared to sit with her and walk her though the review sections.

I know with my kids I get frustrated. I think "this child is _____ years old they should be able to do xyz!" The reality is that I have to meet my kids where they are, not where they should be. This may not be a problem for you at all but it sure is for me.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids
TriciaMR

Unread post by TriciaMR »

Just agreeing with Kelly here. I go over the Review Sheets, and say, "Look it says 'Add or subtract,' so pay attention to the sign when you get to these problems." She still misses that on tests, but I forget to do that with her on tests.

I like the highlighter idea - highlighting the sign before doing the problems. I think it will get better as she gets older.

My other idea, if you highlight the signs, have her do all the addition problems first, and then go back and do the subtraction problems, etc. Unless that causes more problems.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog
RachelT

Unread post by RachelT »

I am thinking that your daughter is about the same age as my son, in 2nd grade? Is that correct? Well, for us I usually have him work on 1 section of the worksheet at a time. So, I will tell him, "Go do number 1-12 and then let me check your work". While he does that, I help my other child with her math work. Then, if there is another section, like on a review page, we can go over the next set of instructions and do that part, and so forth until it's done.

In other words, I know some people may have their child sit down and do the whole worksheet alone, but my son would never finish if he didn't have smaller goals where he could "check in" with me, so we take it a section at a time. Maybe that would help? I still have to help him read the story problems, too, but he won't be able to do it all alone until his reading level is higher and he can really read them and comprehend. Right now, I will read them to him, so he can do the thinking. I guess what I'm saying is don't feel bad if you have to sit and help her understand the instructions. I hope that helps!

Rachel
Rachel, wife to Doug ~ 1995, mom to J (17) and B (15)
MFW K (twice), 1st (twice), Adv., ECC, & CtG 2006-2010,
Classical Conversations 2010-2016,
ECC/AHL 2016-17, eclectic 2017-18, WHL & US1 2018-19

http://rachelsreflections-rachelt.blogspot.com/