Math Facts / Drill - More ideas!

1974girl
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 am

Educational apps

Unread post by 1974girl » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:50 pm

"Mom....I am going to take my bath and then when I come back, I am playing that multiplication game all night." Yes...this came from my child that I just posted about LAST WEEK crying over math. My husband downloaded her an Ipad app for 99 cents called Math Bingo. You pick the type (add-sub-multiply-divide) and the level (easy, med, hard). They play and win "bugs". At the end, they can play with their bugs by touching them. I am pretty sure they have it for the Iphone, Ipod Touch, too. It was rated the top educational game 3 weeks in a row (but I don't know when that was!)

I told my husband that there was no way he was taking that thing to work now. I need it at home more! Sorry-we are having a "savory this moment" night at our house as she is back on the couch, hair in a towel, playing multiplication games!
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

Cyndi (AZ)
Posts: 543
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:22 pm

Re: Educational apps

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Computer games can be so awesome at helping teach skills. We've used the Leapster, WebKinz and various computer games to do that, too. It's great when they're having so much fun learning! Great story!
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

TriciaMR
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am

Re: Educational apps

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:45 am

Yeah, we use a basic math facts drill on the iTouch - all the kids think it is cool to get to play with mom's iTouch. We also use quarter mile math, too.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

jasntas
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Educational apps

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:39 am

annaz wrote:I knew what Webkinz were, but I never did the online thing...just curious if they had a specific Webkinz math thing or if it was just a basic game. :-)
Yes, there are a lot of Webkinz games related to math/problem solving. My dc's favorite is probably the Pizza making game. (If I remember correctly it deals with fractions)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

cbollin

Singapore vs Math-U-See

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:25 am

mamacastle2 wrote:
RachelT wrote:We do add in math drill games with the computer, flash cards, or other games that we have
This is an important part of any math program, at least in my opinion. I've used 4 different programs with one child, and we had to add math drill to each of them. Singapore has worked wonders with us, but we add in some drill component every day. (I remember in the ECC TM manual it even reminded me to do it.) My dc's math facts are solid and quick, and what's nice about Singapore is that they use them to solve an everyday problem right away, so their learning is reinforced immediately.

Just wanted to point out the wisdom of doing math drills no matter which program you use.
I agree. Reminders about the importance of daily drills with number bonds are added in the MFW lesson plans for Singapore 1A and 1B. then, we have little reminders even in ECC manuals and such.

I've heard that in the country of Singapore, they start all math lessons with out loud classroom drills, so that is part of the reason it isn't in the textbook as such.

Anyway, for those looking for ideas for math drills:
Here's a multi page thread in the Math archives
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1141
and another one
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8429

One idea on flashcards and Singapore users:
triangular flash cards help with "number bonds"

here is one example
http://donnayoung.org/math/tricards.htm
HeyChelle wrote:Crystal, those triangle cards are great. Is there a place where you can buy them already printed on card stock and/or laminated?
uh.. I got mine at a local teacher supply chain store (knowledge tree) and I think Rainbow Resource might carry them?
I think I saw them once online while browsing one of the office supply chains (office ..... max/depot whatever) staples?
someone else? my brain doesn't remember now? but they are cool!


the other thing I noted in 1a/1b, make sure you drill how to make 10, and 10 plus what makes teens. This will help a lot with 1a p. 66 with the beginnings of subtraction with regrouping. somewhere around here I have more helps for that page/lesson/concept specifically..... I think this is it. I haven't proof read it in a few years (originally written in 2006! gads!
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 325#p12655

let's try this one from 2009 when I stopped adding up from the bottom
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 325#p55392
and I'm laughing at the last post on that thread with the children of RBS... heee heeee heee.. it is still funny all these years later. LOL LOL

hope some of those help no matter what math program anyone uses.

-crystal

AnnieMarie
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2005 9:47 am
Location: Kansas

Kindles/Nooks - are they useful in your school?

Unread post by AnnieMarie » Thu May 12, 2011 4:22 pm

I have a Nook Color. I also have my eleven year old do her math drills, suduko(used for logic), reading and book basket on the nook. I order my book basket books from my library on the nook also. I have been able to get almost every classic that I have ever wanted @ http://www.books.google.com or http://www.gutenberg.com. If you have little ones, the color screen is awesome. Plus you can get magazine subscriptions on it. I used to have shelves of National Geographic, Family Fun, etc. Now I have those on the nook. I also have my planner, email, facebook all on it. Love my nook!
RachelT wrote: I want to know how you use it for math drills? I can't wait to start downloading book basket books! That sounds great!
It has apps now! I have gotten Geography, math drills, tangrams, Spanish apps that have come in handy this spring when we are not close to a computer. You can also use your standard websites for math drills on the nook if you are near a WiFi site.

You can also now use sites that have videos embedded in. For instance, we were at the dr's the other day and the girls wanted to sing the Fruits of the Spirit song, but since I can only sing like a off-key frog :-) I found it on one of the sites and they were able to sing along beautifully.
AnnieMarie

DD 14 MFWK-1850Mod 2nd cycle ECC CTG AHL
DD 10 MFWK, MFW1, 1850Mod-RTR
DD 5 MFWK, MFW1 ECC-RTR

jasntas
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Math Fact Sheet

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:28 pm

I have been looking online for a math facts sheet that give the equations and the answers in order. For instance 1+1=2, 1+2=3, etc. I have seen these in the past but can't seem to find one now. I have the grid type where you have to follow your fingers to find the answer but those are just too confusing for my dyslexic ds. He is still struggling with his math facts and I was recently advised by his dyslexic tester to allow him to use this type of facts sheet while he still works on learning to memorize them.
Julie in MN wrote:Just took a brief look around the web and thought maybe this is what you are looking for?
http://www.aaastudy.com/addk7cx1.htm
Thank you Julie and Trish. That is what I'm looking for. I knew I came to the right place. :-)
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

TriciaMR
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am

math drills for ECC

Unread post by TriciaMR » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

SarahP wrote:Does anyone have suggestions for resources for math drills for ECC? The book suggests a period each day to drill basic math facts (ex: addition on Mondays, Subtraction on Tuesdays, Multiplication on Wed. and Division on Thursdays etc. ). Do most people just get some books from discount stores, do free printables, make your own.....? Thanks
I use the following (Rotating weekly):

Math Wrap-Ups
math-u-see's online drill
Quarter Mile Math
a Math Drill game on my iTouch
Math Windows (I think these are out of print, though) - these are cardstock with math problems with a hole cut out below the math problem. You attach a piece of paper behind them and the kids write their answers in the hole. Rainbow Resource has some dry-erase things called "Math Windows" now, but the originals are discontinued. Be sure to check the $1 bins at Target and the teacher/school supply aisle at the Dollar Tree - I've seen dry-erase things there, too.

And this year I've added in Calculadders (those dyslexic kids of mine need the extra drill). And a google search will bring you to many online games.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

cbollin

Re: math drills for ECC

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Lots and lots of ideas and information overload on this thread
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1141
and just look on the math ideas.

Various things over the years that I've done:
Math Windows (in teacher stores... you tape it to paper, or dry erase board and student writes the answer in the window. it's an 8.5 x 11 or thereabouts size paper with problems) Some of them are called "holey cards". I think Rainbow Resource still carries the "holey cards" but you can look on their site to see what I mean :)

just a bunch of drills on dry erase board with markers.

Right now, my youngest child, who has special needs, is using an expensive, but wow!I'm impressed with results Math Facts drill called Rapid Recall - it's from Little Giant Steps.

I've done some music. Some online fun games. some various computer games. my middle child is addicted (I mean addicted) to hoodamath website

Then, there's the old fashioned call them out loud.

One thing I've learned: if a child "struggles" or isn't sure... it's ok to tell the right answer as input. The program I use right now believes a similar idea that I do... give the input at least 3 times before asking for output. I give the flash card with answer showing, we say it together.. we hear the audio CD, we play a game with the flash card where I set 5 flashcards (with answers showing) and say them in random order. She picks up the card after finding it. Then, later in the day, I cover the answer and do flash cards.

Some people like to use "3 corner" flashcards such as
http://donnayoung.org/math/tricards.htm

too much Info!
-crystal

jasntas
Posts: 469
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: math drills for ECC

Unread post by jasntas » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:39 pm

I thought I'd add my newest discoveries. I haven't tried these yet but have them on order.

For addition:
Addition the Fun Way Book for Kids: A Picture Method of Learning the Addition Facts by Judy Liautaud

For Multiplication:
Times Tales by Jennie Von Eggers
Also available on DVD
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

1974girl
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:09 am

Great Website!!

Unread post by 1974girl » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:43 pm

I found the coolest website today. You may already know all about it. It is http://www.bigiqkids.com They have free programs and then an upgrade for $10 a year. You can use the free without having to give any info at all. If you are in Adventures...they have a cool US MAP drill. They also have a spelling and vocabulary program. I have heard if you register, they will email you the results.

They also have math drills. You can set what % you want to be addition/multiplication/division etc. Then you can pick the certain number you need, for example you were working on "8" multiplication facts, it would give only those. Then....they earn coins to play games with after their drill! (mouse trap drove me crazy until my daughter finally beat it) They had a cool dress up doll for girls and race cars for boys.

Anyway, sometimes our Saxon math drills get to be a drag looking the same every single day. So this was a welcome break plus I could set what I wanted it to drill. (You can pick random for various numbers)

It looks a little confusing at first for the parents to set the parameters but it really isn't. Just thought I'd share my find for the day!
LeAnn-married to dh 17 yrs
Mama to Leah (14) and Annalise (11)
Used from Adventures on and finishing final year (1850-modern) this year
"When you teach your children...you teach your children's children."

TriciaMR
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:43 am

What do you use with Singapore math?

Unread post by TriciaMR » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:44 am

gratitude wrote:We are currently on a break from the end of Singapore 2A. I have been having ds8 do some review by doing level 1A cumulative tests that I have and he never did. He likes the ease of this.

I noticed on another thread of mine that some moms use another curriculum as a break on occasion from Singapore. Do you mind me asking what book it is?

I am also wondering if anyone uses anything to do occasional drills? Or just a more rote approach as a break from all the thinking? I love the fact Singapore encourages thinking mathematically. I know my ds8 though recently needed a break from all the thinking! So the break is good. It just made me start wondering what other moms use, or if they even routinely add in some rote drills to reinforce the skills being learned. Singapore doesn't have a lot of review, and I was wondering what others did to reinforce concepts as they learn them. Do you review at all with Singapore by adding in something else?

I look forward to reading your answers.
Carin,

I let the kids play at fun4thebrain dot com. There are math drill games there for the four main math facts.

I have one child that has really been struggling with math facts, so I'm adding a program for that. But, other than that, I'm not "adding" anything.

-Trish
Trish - Wife to Phil, Mom to Toni(18), Charlie(14), and Trent(14)
2014-2015 - AHL, CTG
2015-2016 - WHL, RTR
2016-2017 - EXP1850, US1877
2017-2018 - DE, 1850MOD
2018-2019 - College, AHL
My blog

G'smom
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: What do you use with Singapore math?

Unread post by G'smom » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:34 am

I don't normally add anything either except calculadders for drill or we use the math shark and flash cards. When we get to a section that he's struggling with or I need a different way to teach something I take out Mastering Mathematics and let him work with it for a bit and then we move back to Singapore.

Julie in MN
Posts: 2925
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: What do you use with Singapore math?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

gratitude wrote:I am also wondering if anyone uses anything to do occasional drills? Or just a more rote approach as a break from all the thinking?
Carin,
Drills aren't really occasional but a basic with Singapore. Here are some more drill ideas:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1141
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8429

I agree that a break in math helped my son. It wasn't really a Singapore issue, but just a math issue. Every so often, there's a plateau, or an insurmountable mountain. Using something else for a while can let the new skill slowly sink in. At least that's the way it worked at my house.

What you use during that break might depend on what you have around the house that you'd like to use, and also on how comfortable you are with possibly getting behind in your Singapore and not finishing the book in a year. It could be math games or even a whole different curriculum.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

lotsuvlittles
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 4:49 pm

Re: What do you use with Singapore math?

Unread post by lotsuvlittles » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:24 pm

I use mathfactcafe.com to print off all different kinds of drill sheets.
I found that some of my kids needed them every day and some just once or twice a week.
WHL...10th
EX-1850...8th, 6th, 4th
ACE PACEs...5th
Doing their own thing...1st, K

asheslawson
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:37 am
Contact:

Re: What do you use with Singapore math?

Unread post by asheslawson » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:58 pm

lotsuvlittles wrote:I use mathfactcafe.com to print off all different kinds of drill sheets.
I found that some of my kids needed them every day and some just once or twice a week.
I second that - I really like mathfactcafe.com too. I use it for extra practice - or recently - we took a break for a few weeks because he just didn't know his upper multiplication facts (like 6's & above) and we drilled for a couple of weeks to help him learn them.

I have a website that I have added lots of links to that have free printables - I use this site to encourage parents in our school district to work with their children at home after school because our district is struggling with test scores (I home school - but I tutor some kiddos after school). I have found tons of great free links and sometimes when I just need something extra - or something I can use with a group of kids that show up and need something to do instead of going home to their video games. In the summer I host 'mini camps' to help the kids that come by keep from broiling their brains in the texas heat. I have math and language arts 'clinics' in my dining room and set goals for the kids that want to come down. I offer little perks like ice cream cones at Sonic or something when they meet their goals. I use these links for materials when these kiddos come down to play & learn with my kids. If you are interested in the links feel free to check out the links for free sites that I have found (please ignore the obnoxious ads...I get the website free - but as a result they put an annoying ad banner at the top of my page)...you can check out the links page at: http://teamvenus.webs.com/

(additionally - if you know of any great sites that offer free printable materials or online educational games - please let me know - I try to add new materials that I think are helpful for the parents of our community - thanks in advance!)
"So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him" Colossians 2:6
dd-28, ds-25, ds-24, ds-22, ds-14, dd-10, student 13, granddaughter 3
MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, EX1850, 1850-MOD
http://texashomeschooler.blogspot.com/

Julie in MN
Posts: 2925
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:44 pm
Location: Minnesota

Re: What do you use with Singapore math?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:08 am

gratitude wrote:Hi Julie,
These links are very helpful. I noticed in one of them you mentioned that math drills need to be done through the drill years. I am assuming the drill years are until math facts are well memorized. What grade do students usually do drills through?

I could also tell by the threads that this isn't a student's favorite activity. We were doing Calculadder until 3 weeks ago. It started becoming quite difficult for him to complete more than 1/2 a page in the 2 minutes, and I think it discouraged him. So it has been part of our math break for soak time. I am very open though to other ideas for drills that my children might enjoy more.

Thank you ladies for the great ideas.
Oh, I'm glad somebody bumped this thread up, because I see I didn't reply to part of your question, What grade do students usually do drills through?

Drill can vary a lot. I think the public schools do a ton around 3-4th grades. Sometimes teachers create a chart for each student with different levels of drill, and check off when each level is mastered. It's my guess that most kids could use more drill but it falls off the teacher agenda after that.

We slowed down on drill in 6th with just some occasional Quarter Mile or something. Then we actually spent 7th grade drilling fractions daily (he was still doing Singapore 6A/B, so we had time, and the place where I tutored did it for me :) ), and I'm glad we did that. My son now just automatically knows how some of the fractions reduce down, or have common denominators.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

DaniWestRN
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:41 pm

Math question again

Unread post by DaniWestRN » Thu May 31, 2012 7:20 pm

https://www.xtramath.org/

It's free and my kids love it.
Danielle, Mommy to DD#1- 3rd/ECC, DS#1 -2nd/ECC, DD#2- K, DS#2- pre-K, and DD#3- learning to toddle

Leah OH
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:51 am

looking for math drill ideas

Unread post by Leah OH » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:55 pm

robertb10502 wrote:We are starting ECC on Monday and I am trying to get everything ready. I know that flash cards all the time will never go over well. I am looking for other ideas that I can get ready now. SO what all does everyone use for math drills?? THanks!!
I use this website and print off drills for my kids. There are tons to choose from....and they're FREE!!!! :)

http://www.math-drills.com/
Leah in NC, married to Jeremiah
MFW ECC with dd10
MFW ECC with ds8

Erna
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:48 pm

Re: looking for math drill ideas

Unread post by Erna » Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:59 pm

We use the Math-U-See website's on-line drills. There are also some other on-line drill programs we have used but the Math-U-See one has everything we need.

I guess one could also buy one of those handheld drilling games. I've considered it for road trips.

Erna

albanyaloe
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:17 am

Re: looking for math drill ideas

Unread post by albanyaloe » Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:16 pm

Hi Samantha

I am not too sure if my ideas would count for a serious definition of Math drill, but you asked what we do, so here is my answer;-)
Yes, most days we do flash cards, but as you say, it would bore a child to tears to do them daily so we add the following things, depending on the age/grade of the child. And I'm always looking for more ideas so I'll be watching your post.
  • A Maths game such as Spider Maths
    Using dice instead of flash cards eg: add the numbers or subtract. You could use two or more dice for higher numbers to practice subtraction, or I made my own dice for higher numbers, with numerals not dots and cubes of wood.
    Skip counting
    A printed off worksheet, focusing on whatever facts we're currently drilling
    A hand drawn worksheet, such as the "House of ten" I draw a house and 2 columns and they must fill in all the combinations that make ten
    Work with counters or any kind of manipulative they can count - count out 50, put them in groups of 5, how many groups etc
    Work with a hundreds chart and a wipe off marker - such as circle all the odd numbers, skip count
    Using an audio recording to learn the times tables
    In South africa we have something called Edupeg, which offers a fun variety, but if I was in the US I would love to get Learning ladders.
Look forward to learning more,
Lindy
Lindy,
Our first year with MFW, doing ECC 2012, Our 7th year of HS'ing
Joel 11 yo, Emma-lee 8 yo and Shelley 6 yo
We're from Sunny South Africa!

MorningSong
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:30 pm

Re: looking for math drill ideas

Unread post by MorningSong » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 pm

We use flash cards during the week, but my children ask to play math bingo.
There's also a new website for drills that's free here:
https://www.xtramath.org/

cefcdana
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: looking for math drill ideas

Unread post by cefcdana » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Love xtramath.org !! It keeps track of their progress for you and sends you updates- yipee!

Joyhomeschool
Posts: 138
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:11 am

Re: looking for math drill ideas

Unread post by Joyhomeschool » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:31 pm

When we did ECC we used good old flash cards and shouting the answers. Now I use Math U See's drill page after they finish their math lesson each day.

Sometimes I pull out the flash cards and we make a game of it. :)
Vicki
Homeschooling my 7,
2018/2019 1st, EXP, AHL, US 2

Kelly1730
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: looking for math drill ideas

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:28 am

MorningSong wrote:We use flash cards during the week, but my children ask to play math bingo.
There's also a new website for drills that's free here:
https://www.xtramath.org/

We use this also.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests