Singapore - Schedule and moving faster

Karen in TN

Singapore - Schedule and moving faster

Unread post by Karen in TN » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:32 pm

Can more than one book be done in a Semester?
tiffany wrote:Do you think you would be able to get through more than one book a semester? I am certain my 10 year old will probably test at lower level than where I would like to see her. Mostly because of the sequence of the Math curriculum we use. I don't want to bog her down, but I would like to make up some time. She's already used to having a daily Math Drill and actually her curriculum now already requires quite a bit of workbook time. So, a little extra work probably wouldn't be noticeable. I'm a little hesitant to make the switch if you guys think its tough to speed up a bit. Of course we could do some work during summer, but I would like her to get a break from Math once in a while. ( Not her favorite subject.) Any input would be great! Thanks.
Tiffany,
I have just started Singapore, so I hesitate to answer your question, but since I had the same question, I do have a little good news to share.

We just switched to Singapore with my children, who are in K and 2nd (mid-year, since we schooled through last summer). I started both my children at a lower level, so they could learn the "Singapore way" of doing math. I was concerned about either being behind with math, or else boring them. Last week, as I was setting the school books out on the shelves for this fall, each of them grabbed their new math books. That morning alone, they did 27 and 34 pages, respectively! I know that won't be an everyday occurrence, but I thought it was encouraging that they so enjoyed the "work" and that it went so quickly. When they get to concepts that they haven't covered yet, I am sure it will slow down. Hope that helps!
Karen

Lucy

Unread post by Lucy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:49 pm

I switched my kids last year and wondered the same thing. Since it was our first year I hesitated to do too much but this year we are moving at 2 lessons a day sometimes. Mind you this is with an older child so working for 45 minutes is not too long for her most days. Some of the lessons are short and can easily be done with another lesson that day.

I think if your moving from another program you will find as I did that they know some of the information and do not need to spend too much time learning because they already know it. So I think it is possible to get through 3 possibley depending on the child. Some days one lesson is definitely enough so we just take our time but I set a time that she will work so if one only took her 15 or 20 minutes I just do the next lesson with her.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Julie in MN

Is it okay to skip over things?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:23 am

hsmomto3 wrote:Is it ok to skip over things in Singapore if your child is flying through it with no problems? My 9yo is working on 2a..... we started at the beginning at 1a when we began because I didn't want to "miss anything" that might be important.

He is really needing a challenge at this point in math so I was wondering if it would be ok to skip over some things that seem too easy. We have been trying to move pretty rapidly through the book but I can only get him to do so many pages a day..KWIM?

What book is typically 4th grade?
Debbie
Hi Debbie,
My 6th grader is flying thru 5A. We started in 2A or 2B when ds was in 3rd grade. We spent extra time on drill & absorbing some of the basics. Now, he's flying.

I don't make him do everything at all. We do look over the text. We discuss. Sometimes he "shows" me that he knows the material, sometimes he "tells" me. We see if Singapore has some new ideas about doing things.

However, we do do all the word problems. They are so great in Singapore that I can't imagine having those down already from another program. And they really build on one another, so you might miss something if you skipped a section.

In 5a, we are getting used to word problems where you only know one real number, and need to figure out what 3 different people had. For me, it's fun :o) For ds, he needs to "see it" and do it a bunch of times & slowly absorb the concept.

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Re: Is it okay to skip over things?

Unread post by cbollin » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:44 am

hsmomto3 wrote: What book is typically 4th grade?
That's a tough question to answer about which book is typically 4th grade. The scope and sequence of Singapore Primary Math just doesn't really line up with US grade levels and even within various states in the US there isn't a national standard to base it on. But with that said, it is typical of students in the US to be 1 book number less than their US grade level.

A couple of ideas to consider (I don't know if they are good ideas or just what happened to have worked for us):

What about just doing the Review and Practice problem sections for the Units that you know that he knows? I did it that way with my oldest when she switched from another program to Singapore. She was mid way through 5th grade and testing late in book 4B of Singapore. But we started at the beginning of 4B and zipped through it. We slowed down when it wasn't review.

Look ahead into 2A and 2B and figure out what you have not covered and/or feel your student doesn't have a good grasp on: what about metric and US measurements in length and weight. What about multiplication/division parts? It might work to not do every single textbook page and/or workbook page and just use the practice and review sections and do those and slow down when it is new.

I don't know if any of that helps. It's just what we did with the early part of 4B when it was review and easy for us.

-crystal

Lucy

Re: Is it okay to skip over things?

Unread post by Lucy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:39 am

Hi Debbie,

Generally when starting Singapore you test the kids to see where they need to be placed. Most kids who are 4th and above tend to test into 3B because this is the point at which other programs a child has been in has not covered, particularly metric conversions.

So, I would expect that 2A would be very easy for him unless he has learning difficulties. You could skip to the practice pages and if he does not have problems then move on and go back to the lessons that he struggles with. You could do the same with the review pages although at the lower levels I am not as familiar with how many of these there are.

Another thought would be to print out the test from the MFW website and see where he places. Then you could move him into the book that will be the best starting place for him.

Let us know if we can help you anymore on this. I know it can be frustrating when you are not sure if you have your child at the right place in a subject.

Lucy
wife to Lee and mom to Twila 18 (girl) and Noel 16(boy). Happy MFW user since 2002.

Julie in MN

Singapore - Skipping lessons

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:38 pm

Homeschooling6 wrote:1st question; would it be okay to skip some of the lessons that I know would be boring for him? I wouldn't skip them all because there are some pretty good word problems that I know would be a challenge for him.

2nd question: again since he knows the adding & subt. can I skip the textbook for those lessons and go straight to the lesson in his workbook?
Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:38 am
Yes, we have often skipped over sections in Singapore, such as the money ones, which ds knows only too well :o)

For many lessons, a better option is to discuss the textbook lesson orally and notice the different ways to look at a problem. Even though he already knows how to do in one way, he probably doesn't realize there are different ways to think about it. My son may think he already knows, but doesn't balk when it's just oral discussion and no monotonous problems to do. I look at it like planting a little seed that might be useful later.

Also, sometimes it sparks an interesting discussion about how *he* may be doing the problem in his head.

Julie

cbollin

Re: Singapore - Skipping lessons

Unread post by cbollin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:39 pm

Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:35 am
I'd use the textbook as Julie described. Maybe as you see the need to review and/or drill, you could use the review pages in textbook and/or workbook alongside of the other parts. I did something like that with my oldest when she switched mid year to Singapore. she had placed borderline between 4B/5A. we got 4B, and zipped quickly in the first sections.

the textbook is where "the singapore" methods/ideas are. So, don't overlook that part of it.

-crystal

purepraisemom

How to handle being "behind" with Singapore Math?

Unread post by purepraisemom » Tue May 03, 2011 10:37 pm

far above rubies wrote:Oh how I now wish I'd kept my oldest dd in Singapore a couple of years ago. Ah well. Anyway....according to MFW's suggestions, it's recommended that a child complete at least 5B by the end of 6th grade. My dd would've been right on schedule if we hadn't switched, but alas, we did. ;)

Now she is testing into 2A, going into the 4th grade. When I read through the intro on the MFW site, I read that the child should do an increased load until he/she is on target. So, does this mean that she needs to strive for two lessons a day next year? In which case, she would do 2A/2B in the first semester and then hopefully onto 3A/3B in the second semester? That'll put her in 4A starting her 5th grade year (wow! I can't believe that year is right around the corner), but will then put her on schedule.

Or is there another way to get her back on track? Possibly just working through the summers, both in a row? I think that may frustrate her more? She likes to have a definite end of a school year, KWIM? If your sweet darling was "behind" with Singapore and you wanted them to get back on track, how did you go about it?
It sounds good on paper, but you are concerned that it wouldn't work in practice? Most of the time a student that is older than the typical age for a curriculum will easily go through it faster than a younger child so you might be able to double up with little effort.

You're asking what I would do - I guess I would follow the suggestion and try another option if that's not working well.

It could be fun to play catch up if she's really ready for the concepts and is up for the challenge. You can have 2 math sessions per day by setting a timer for 20 minutes and seeing how much she can accomplish in a week or whatever. If she needs time to understand the concepts, I would set aside a little more time for that even if it feels like she's behind.
I have 3 in high school and at one time or another they were either ahead or behind in elementary math but have all made it to high school ready for Algebra. Our main focus has been understanding and that way they are really ready for upper level math.
new to MFW 2011
homeschooling since 1999

Julie in MN

Re: How to handle being "behind" with Singapore Math?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Tue May 03, 2011 10:52 pm

I agree with trying the suggestion and adapting as needed.

I think at 2A, you may find some units go so quickly that you can skim over them. And in 2B, I think there are some measuring units you may not even really need to do the workbook on (clocks, measuring height, etc.), especially if you think you'll get to 3B that year and do those measuring units. I would try to always present the textbook lesson, but she may respond quickly and show you that she doesn't need to do two workbook lessons, or doesn't need to do all of the problems in both. (Not that there are a ton of problems.) You might compare the two tables of contents, to see where you need to spend the most time.

But I wouldn't worry or plan ahead too much. Singapore isn't hard to adapt as you go. And you really need to see how she does before making the final decision. If she needs it, then it's time well spent.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

cbollin

Unread post by cbollin » Wed May 04, 2011 7:27 am

One idea in my head is that you can go at the pace needed during 4th grade and see where that ends up. Then in 5th and 6th grades, you might go longer each day and cover more, and do math 5 days a week. You'd still be "on track" with less stress in this coming year. I wouldn't necessarily try to get 4 semesters done in 4th grade. Maybe 3 semesters in 4th and 3 semesters in 5th and you're caught up. Take it at normal pace and if the first parts of 2A are easy, be encouraged to work longer than day and adjust as you go. You might do math in summers.
There are lots of ways to go about it.

-crystal

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Wed May 04, 2011 9:11 am

Ah! Actually she is an extremely mathy child. I forgot about that! LOL At the moment, she is choosing to work through 5 lessons of math a day in her current curriculum. She always finishes in about an hour and asks if she can move on.

And yes, I forgot how simple and straightforward Singapore is. I love the no-fluff and quick lessons. We'll just see how this goes. :)
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

HSmommi2mine

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Thu May 05, 2011 9:48 am

It depends on her tolerance for it and if she really can absorbe multiple lessons a day. At the beginning you may be able to do even more than 2 lessons a day and as you get closer to her actual level you will need to cut back. My middle kid has always done multiple lessons at a time because she loves it, but she doesn't always need much practice either, so I am able to cut down on the number of practice problems as well. Some lessons lend themselves to combining. We also work through the Summers.

Anytime I have changed a child's math program they have had to go backwards and pick things up, simply because programs work differently or have a different S&S.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

far above rubies

Unread post by far above rubies » Thu May 05, 2011 10:07 am

Ah! Actually she is an extremely mathy child. I forgot about that! LOL At the moment, she is choosing to work through 5 lessons of math a day in her current curriculum. She always finishes in about an hour and asks if she can move on. And yes, I forgot how simple and straightforward Singapore is. I love the no-fluff and quick lessons. We'll just see how this goes. :)

Thank you for all the suggestions and support! I really appreciate it.

I've talked to other folks who felt it wasn't that important for her to be "on track," and "who cares if she doesn't make it to Algebra by such and such grade." I had to do some catching up in school to get back on track myself and while it was tough and I had no intentions then of going to college to get a degree, I am thankful that my parents stepped in to get me "on track" for a collegiate plan. At first, I earned a certificate in cosmetology. But later, I went back to school when I was 24 and graduated from a private university at 26 with my B.A. I was so glad I'd taken those advanced maths when I did (even though math isn't my subject at all), because the background helped me get into the school I wanted to.

Anyway.....point is, it is important to us to ensure that our children are "on track" for a solid high school education because we do want them to have as many options as possible. And even now, though I'm a Homemaker/Homeschooling Mama and believe that this is where God has Called me to be, but I'm still thankful that my parents stepped in at some point to get me on track. I just wish they'd stepped in earlier. LOL

I hope none of the above is offensive to anyone--I don't intend it to be at all. I was just really thankful for the supportive replies I received here, because I'm not really getting them elsewhere.
K (2007-2008, 2011-2012), ADV (2010-2011), ECC (2011-2012)
2012-2013: CtG [dd (5th), ds (3rd), dd (1st), ds (3), and ds (1) ]

Amy C.

Moving on with Singapore going better than expected. Inp

Unread post by Amy C. » Fri May 06, 2011 10:29 am

far above rubies wrote:So I announced to the children that they are DONE with this year's math and that we're gonna move on to next year's and just try out a lesson and see what they think.

I forgot how much I really do like Singapore and they're loving it! My daughter says it's great and she loves the short lessons without pages and pages of problems to work out.

My question now is: Do I continue with the original plan of 2 lessons a day this summer to get her on into next year's materials? I've read that a lot of families continue to work through Singapore during the summer. This made me wonder--if we do math year round, should we still be concerned about getting her caught up so much? But if she loves it so much, should I continue to move her forward as I'm certain there's gonna come a point when she hits a wall.
I just wanted to say that if you have not already, a call to the MFW office probably would be a good thing. When we switched to Singapore with my older dss 2 years ago, they were very helpful in laying out a plan for us over the next few years so that they both would be up to speed before Saxon in 7th grade. They gave me a plan based on length of time each of my boys would need to work every day to get to where they need to be. They were very helpful.

Amy C.

HSmommi2mine

Re: Moving on with Singapore going better than expected. Inp

Unread post by HSmommi2mine » Fri May 06, 2011 10:04 pm

If they want to do more, don't stop them. From experience I will tell you that holding back a child who wants to inhale the information is futile and annoys everyone. Let them fly.
~Christina

Wife to my favorite guy
Mom to 3 great kids

gratitude

Re: Moving on with Singapore going better than expected. Inp

Unread post by gratitude » Fri May 06, 2011 10:52 pm

I think if he & you want to take the summer off and you certainly could, and still be on track. On the other side of the coin if they & you want to keep doing math this summer and you could do that as well.

My ds7 is currently about 3/4 done with the 2nd half of 2A. We still need to do the first half of the 2A book. He LOVES multiplication, so I have allowed him to do the multiplication first, at his request (2nd half of the book). I know it will slow down with the double/triple digit addition in the first half of the book. We are a little ahead, but I am assuming it will slow down at some difficult part and that it will all even out.

I hope this helps. We really enjoy Singapore as well. Not too much work, and my son really learns the math and understands it. I find it highly effective.