General Ideas for Adventures

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
meagabby

Re: Animated Hero Classics for ADV

Unread post by meagabby » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 pm

We were able to buy the Nest set at our first homeschool convention. It was even our Adventures year! That was only in 2007, though.

The rep was so informative. I liked knowing that accurate information is put onto the video and not fluff tacked on.

Our children have watched them many times and I think we have already gotten our money's worth out of just the videos. We didn't use the Resource Books that come along with them, and actually they have all been packed with our various moves, until just recently as we unpacked again.

We will be using EXP1850 for the next year and I suppose we'll be watching more
Loving learning with MFW!

BHelf

Fun idea for Adventures - License plates

Unread post by BHelf » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:55 pm

I decided that we would start paying attention to the license plates we see as we drive and talk about which states they are from with my DD. Then we decided to start keeping a running list of the states we've seen to see how many states we can get this year. Well, then that evolved into taking a blank US map and coloring in each state that we've seen (she has to look up on the map where the state is and then find the corresponding state on her blank map to color) and see if we can get all 50!

I thought it would be impossible because of Alaska and Hawaii (I've never seen those before in my life--we live in GA, BTW) and strangely enough those were some of the first 2 we saw!!!!! I was shocked and amazed (especially the Hawaii one.) Well, we've been doing this for 2 weeks--have only traveled within 100 miles of our home, haven't left the state of Georgia and have seen 34 states!!! I will be posting about this on my blog later with a picture of her map all colored in when she finishes updating the states we saw this weekend if you're interested to see it. :) Thought some of you might like to do this and see how many states you can get or how fast you can get all 50 of them! My DD is really enjoying this! (And so are Mom and Dad!)

Brooke
Wife to DH for almost 13 years
Mommy to Eileen-9, Merrick-6, Adalynn-5 and Karis--19 months
http://www.asimplewalk.wordpress.com

Julie - Staff

American Flag

Unread post by Julie - Staff » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am

Postby DianeR » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:54 am
Hi. We are going to start Adventures in My Father's World in a couple of weeks. I see we look at the Pledge of Allegiance (to the flag) on that first week and I have a flag craft/activity I would like to do. I realize that there were quite a few flags before our current flag that was designed in 1960 (1775, 1777, 1795, 1818, 1912). Does anyone remember learning about any of the flags later in the material or should I just go ahead and incorporate my flag activity that first week? Thanks.

Postby mgardenh » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:00 am
When I did Adventures there was a book all about the flag how it was made, and how it was decided on the form of the flag. It came with the package. [Red, White, and Blue]

Postby baileymom » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:26 pm
We are starting ADV in a few weeks, and we're really going to stress the importance of Flag Etiquette throughout the entire year. DH is Military, so the American Flag is extremely important to our family. The Boy Scouts website has a lot of resources. And, you're right, you can also stress how the Flag has changed over the history of America (if I remember correctly RW&B gives this info).

baileymom

ADV Names of Jesus Garland Craft

Unread post by baileymom » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:36 pm

I received this Names of Jesus garland last winter, and remembered it last night. I'm going to dig it out to display this year for the Bible in ADV.

I'm pretty sure Monica uses MFW (1st this year), here is a link to her lovely blog:

http://thehomespunheart.blogspot.com/20 ... orial.html

...where she gives a Tutorial on how to make them (or maybe she is taking orders).
jasntas wrote:This is a really cute idea. Even though we did ADV last year, I may just make them anyway to help decorate our school room and use them as a reminder of the names of Jesus. :)
Kathi - graduated 1, homeschooling 6, preschooling 2, growing 1

Freckleface78

Re: General Ideas for Adventures

Unread post by Freckleface78 » Tue May 03, 2011 2:12 pm

Music often sticks thoughts into my son's head that won't stay otherwise. We found a series that we absolutely love and it covers many of the people we study in Adventures. Check out Jonathon Sprout: American Heroes, More American Heroes and American Heroes #3 (three separate CDs).

[for samples, limit your search to MP3 Music and search for Jonathan Sprout]

Gma1

ADV, Ready to start the states!

Unread post by Gma1 » Wed May 11, 2011 9:55 am

Here is a nice website that has everything you would want to know about each of the fifty states - free!

http://www.factmonster.com/states.html

GMA1

gclan

Unread post by gclan » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 am

We found a great book at Cracker Barrel called "The Fifty States" It says it is a Readers Digest book written by Creative Media Applications Inc. It has a fact book about all the states and comes with a great magnetic puzzle map. We love to use it while watching How the States Got Their Shapes on the History channel.

Mamto2PeasinaPod

Unread post by Mamto2PeasinaPod » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:47 pm

We found some state goodies at Dollar Tree this past week.
A neat little wheel that turns to point at each state and shows the capital and bird and state tree for each, plus a map on it and abbreviations.
Also the state cards and capital cards to put in a pocket chart if you have one on hand.

kacairo1

Unread post by kacairo1 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:59 am

We LOVE all of the book basket suggestions in Adventures, but one that we are currently enjoying is, "Skippack School." We highly recommend it!
~Kelly~
Married to my high school sweetheart for 12 years!
Four beautiful gifts later:
Rachel (7.5)--ECC; CC; M-U-S
Joshua (6)--1st; CC; M-U-S
Luke (4.5)--MFW preschool; Liberty Press K book; ABC Bible Verses
Lydia (2.5)--dress-up queen

samandsawyersmom

For all you Adventures families

Unread post by samandsawyersmom » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:51 pm

Just saw this and thought you might be able to use this. . . .

http://www.animatedatlas.com/movie.html
Wife to my wonderful husband 8yrs
Mom to 2 wonderful sons 6yrs and 4yrs
2012 pre-school and MFW 1st
2011 K

laurelmarie

Adventure state study

Unread post by laurelmarie » Mon May 14, 2012 7:19 am

We are starting week 12 and the state study in Adventures. I wanted to share a neat map I found on Amazon...it is a sticker map of the US using reusable stickers.
[search for: Map of the United States Sticker Picture (Dover Sticker Books) ]
Laurel, HS since 1992, graduated 2 sons both in the military
Ds 15: MOH , Latin Alive, BJU Algebra, Lightning Lit, Apologia Phys. Science, Piano, Fencing
Dd 7: Adventures, Math Journal, Elemental Science, spelling Journal, FLL 2, SS Latin, Piano

Buttercup78

Re: Adventure state study

Unread post by Buttercup78 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:10 pm

That looks great!

When we did ADV, I got a magnetic map puzzle with each state (or a few small states) being a piece of the puzzle. Well the magnets weren't very strong and we ended up losing some states :(

This would have been much better! Plus the kiddos wouldn't have fought over who would add the new state!
Nikki, Mom to:
R (24) 2012 Graduate
J (12)

S (10)
E (8)
J (5)

S (2)
E (born 11/14)

We have used K, 1st, Adventures, ECC and CTG
http://myfathersworldinpa.blogspot.com

laurelmarie

Unread post by laurelmarie » Tue May 15, 2012 7:10 am

Draw Write Now books have step by step instructions on drawing pictures from American History and more. They are extremely easy to follow and the results are impressive. Dd is using them to add extra pages to her notebook. So far we have found pictures to draw for most of the topics covered in Adventures (we are in week 12) and looking ahead it looks like we will have much more to draw from these books.
Laurel, HS since 1992, graduated 2 sons both in the military
Ds 15: MOH , Latin Alive, BJU Algebra, Lightning Lit, Apologia Phys. Science, Piano, Fencing
Dd 7: Adventures, Math Journal, Elemental Science, spelling Journal, FLL 2, SS Latin, Piano

nikki44

Unread post by nikki44 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:00 am

I taught Adventures this year to my 3rd grader & advanced 1st grader. It was wonderful & they learned so much about our country & every state too! Because I had an older child doing this curriculum, I did add a few things &, in hindsight, would have done a few other things as well.

(1) A neighbor gave me the CD where you learn the states by the Southern, Eastern, Western & Northern borders & then In the Middle. In about 3 weeks, my boys (& even my 3 year old daughter) learned all of the states & could sing the songs & point to all of the states on a map. This was an amazing addition to the year, gave them a sense of accomplishment & will be something they use their entire lives. Now I can tell you which one is New Hampshire & which one is Vermont :). I noticed that this same CD is used later in the 5-year cycle, but would definitely recommend using it with Adventures.

(2) We would color the state sheets & then read the backs. I would try to have them write a summary about each state (at first) but it was just too much. Looking back, I would make a spreadsheet on the computer where they would have typed in one or two sentences about the state after we read about it. At the end of the year, you can then look back & read all of your favorite/most interesting things about each state. We tried to do this at the end of the year & it was amazing that they could remember something, even if it was just the crops or animals, for 35-40 states.

(3) We live on a farm & my boys have been stacking wood, riding 4-wheelers, building forts, etc since they were 3-4 years old. The read alouds were okay but a few just weren't keeping their interest. We ended up reading a bio, that reads as a short adventure story, on Buffalo Bill Cody as a child, when we were learning about the great plains, the railroad & westward expansion. I would also strongly recommend Owls in the Family (no relation to our curriculum) by Farley Mowatt, Fantastic Mr. Fox, the BFG, James & the Giant Peach & pretty much anything else by Roald Dahl. My first grader especially loves Roald Dahl books!

(4) It was recommended that I purchase the 1st grade curriculum for my son, but I chose to teach him handwriting with a dry erase book, phonics with an online program (he thought it was a game for 1/2 the year), and I did use the math curriculum recommended until he finished the book & then he started Singapore 2A. He made amazing strides in all subjects!

(5) The science curriculum for this year was a good overview of pretty much every science topic I can think of :). We were able to explore some things more in-depth when they were really interested in a topic. They loved the experiments. We added an experiment growing different types of field grass that related to or farming & then started lots of vegetables in the spring. We also kept our 2-liter bottle bird feeders filled all winter/spring. I would have them make spreadsheets on the computer to chart their findings, including a bird count in February/March when winter feels like it is dragging on forever. Gave them something to look forward to & be excited about.

(6) Language Arts - We did the recommended program for my 3rd grader until we got to January & realized that we had testing in March. The copywork, dictation, narration approach is wonderful but it is completely different than what is taught in schools. We switched to a vocab workbook curriculum for a few months so that they would be able to do well on the school testing. It took a few weeks before they understood the questions/layout, but I am glad we switched, as they would never have passed the tests without some experience with the similar format of reading comprehension, word comparisons, etc.

My compromise between the more classical copywork, dictation, narration approach & the teaching to the test approach, is to do both so that we don't sacrifice our freedom to teach whatever we want. We now have vocab workbooks for the boys & they do some type of copywork, dictation, writing, grammar or narration activity as well. This does add about 15 minutes to our day, but it is definitely proving to be worthwhile. I can see in their writing & comprehension that it is starting to payoff. I make this cover handwriting too, so that it doesn't add even more time to our schedule. My 3rd grader would write part of his assignments in cursive & I would be checking handwriting for the 1st grader as well.

(7) Bible - We really enjoyed having our daily Bible study. If nothing was assigned on a day, I at least had them copy the memory verse. Looking back, we learned so much about the nature of Jesus, without them really realizing how many verses they were memorizing. I know we could have done 1 every week, but I think the 1 every 2 weeks approach is just right. They have time to really understand the concept & not just memorize the words. I absolutely love how the historical journey that we went on included our faith! This made our entire year special & is what truly set it aside from public schooling. When kids read about other kids with similar faith in their books, it is encouraging & they can relate more easily.

** This was my first year homeschooling. We belong to our school district's homeschooling program, so we get $750 per child for extra-curricular activities & we also get reimbursed for our internet access. I have to pay for MFW because I choose not to use the school district's curriculum, but it is well worth the cost. We do have to test every year instead of just every 2-3 years, but we receive the benefit of being able to go to field trips & a few classes a week as an additional resource. We chose to do our own thing with MFW & then just be involved in very few activities this year. We really needed to establish our own program & have a year by ourselves. The $750 for each boy enabled us to do swimming lessons at lunch time 2x a week for about 4 months, to have a membership at our local science museum, to travel to other cities to see museums, etc & it also paid for soccer, baseball, self-defense, gymnastics, etc. That definitely got us out of the house & gave everyone something exciting to look forward to. Because our kids went to public school until 2nd grade & Kindergarten (plus preschool), this helped make the transition to just being at home a lot easier.

We also got kittens in August, a puppy in February & then 6 chickens & 2 turkeys in March. We are possibly going to raise pigs next year. This has also added a fun element to our schooling. Of course, we can't get new animals every year, but it did make this year very enjoyable.

Our school district's coordinator comes out one time per month to read or do math with the kids. This has been an invaluable resource for me, as a first year teacher :), because then I have some feedback as to our progress. She would notice things that I would over look because that's just how my son had always read or written his letters, etc. Plus it gave the kids someone to "present" their accomplishments/activities to, who was very interested. It also gave me someone to ask for help on how to teach certain math concepts.

Anyway, this post got very long I am afraid, but I hope that it is helpful to others. I have learned so much about myself & my own shortcomings this year, that I am realizing home schooling is another one of God's blessings that will help to refine me in the fire so that I am ready for the amazing future He has in store for us in heaven :).

gratitude

Fun Summer Idea for an ADV Follow-up...

Unread post by gratitude » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:40 am

We aren't doing school this summer, but I found a great book to do in the morning before swim lessons to keep the morning Bible routine going. It is a fun follow up to the names of Jesus in ADV.

God's Names by Sally Michael.

It goes through 26 Names of God that are found in the OT and NT and their meanings. Some of these of course include some of the names we did in ADV for the names of Jesus. Each name is a one day lesson; so it has 26 lessons. Each lesson is about 3 pages of reading, a simple activity (if desired, fun so far) and a scripture verse or two.

I thought I would share since it ties so well into the names of Jesus study that we did this year and is a nice start to a summer day.

Enjoy summer! :-)

Sweetiemommy

Unread post by Sweetiemommy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:59 pm

Just getting started with Adventures for the 2012-2013 school year with my 2nd grader, Kindergartner and 2 1/2 year old. I enjoyed the "Come Look With Me" art history series from 1st grade and decided to order "Come Look With Me: Exploring Native American Art with Children" and "Come Look With Me: Art in Early America" from Amazon for Adventures. Thought it was a nice way to continue with art history! They also have some books that would be appropriate for Exploring Countries and Cultures, but I haven't gotten there yet!

I am pretty excited about the endless possibilities for field trips. We live near Philadelphia, so we will probably do a field trip to see the Liberty Bell. Also, they have the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Franklin Institute, so we'll have to check that out while we're there. We're also thinking about going to see The Virginia Museum of Frontier Culture, which might be closer than Jamestown to some of you, and is really cool.

In general, I stocked up on all sorts of patriotic stuff after 4th of July, so we have some fun decorations, pencils, etc. Once we get about a month of work under our belt I am going to have a "grandparent's day" and invite the grandparents to an open house where we showcase some of our work and walk them through our "schooling area," which is really just our normal kitchen and living room, but I'll kind of open up the desks and lay our materials and things out on the table so that it looks very impressive. Hopefully this will help with some of the misgivings my in-laws are having about homeschooling. I taught in a private school before having children and having an open house with a confident teacher and a beautiful, neat classroom was essential for getting the parents to "believe" in us and trust us with their children. I want the grandparents to have the same confidence.

Thanks for all the great ideas!

shara1

Unread post by shara1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:43 pm

I am recording each week in Adventures on my blog to make things easier for others and hopefully bring some new ideas. We hold fairly close to the curriculum with a few additions here and there. http://blogging-mama.com/category/homeschool-in-review/ We used MFW last year too and we are loving it even more this year!

homespun

period costumes

Unread post by homespun » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:44 am

How many of you do period costumes for your studies? It is so fun for our dc. Ds learned lashing in Royal Rangers and so he lashed together several teepees in our woods. Next dc decided they wanted Native American costumes. From there ds has turned his into a trapper costume with the coon skin cap and leather projects he began making himself from scraps - pouches, satchels, knife sheaths, etc.

Dd and friend have pioneer costumes that they use periodically. The friend had a birthday party that was a pioneer days theme. They borrowed the RR cabin, played blind mans bluff, hung apples from the rafters to bite into, did embrodiary around the wood stove, cooked a stew on the wood stove, held a spelling bee etc.

For school we did a pioneer day with some old books we had. McGuffeys reader, an early 1900 arithmetic, and a new blue back speller. That day of school was fun for the kids.

Dc do have wonderful imaginations.
MFW user since 2006 beginning in K. Doing ECC synergy group this year for our second time with ECC.
dd grade 8, ds grade 6

Julie in MN

Re: period costumes

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:50 am

Fun to hear about those great imaginations! I remember having fun with the "paddle book" or whatever that was called in EX1850, and my son did some leather crafts that year, too. Isn't it great having some of the ideas for our school day, and time to act them out in the afternoons?

The only costume we "made" during our MFW years was in CTG, but I was glad we id it that once:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 1%2A#p5461

But we've always had a dress-up box at our house, and it's gotten much use over the years. When my youngest was about 14 or 15, I donated a lot to church, but I kept enough to keep grandson busy here. He likes to dress me up, too :) I've never thought of having a period-costume birthday, but that's an excellent idea!

Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

larkeeler

Unread post by larkeeler » Wed May 15, 2013 9:53 pm

I have asked my family and friends from all over the country to send a postcard with a place, historical figure, or other memorable item of significance from their state. We use pinmaps.com to pin where the card came from and we write a few sentences about the state, the item on the postcard, and/or the person who sent it. We take the time to review other things that we have learned about the state. We have purchased a scrapbook to put it all in, along with the beautiful MFW bird and flower cards.

I am trying to locate a good online mileage pinmap program so we can track how many miles we go on our postcard adventure as well. Each day we go to between one and four places. We have some duplicate states and some people who were thoughtful enough to send maps and other stuff. The bonus is that the kids are getting mail and sending thank yous too! On one hand, I wish I had done this as we began the year, but I am using it as a summer time project instead. This makes a little formal learning during the summer, a lot of fun and reviews what we learned during the year.

kw4blessings

Great books for Adv/ECC

Unread post by kw4blessings » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:30 pm

I wanted to mention two great books that our family has been loving this year. I found them as suggestions on this board somewhere but wanted to re post because I feel that they are too good to be missed! The first is "The United States of America: A State-by-State Guide" by Millie Miller and Cyndi Nelson, published by Scholastic. This one has a full colorful page for each state, including a topical map, info on the state bird/flower, and tons of other fun facts about each state. The second book is the similar "Our World: A Country-by-Country Guide" also by Millie Miller and published by Scholastic. This one is a similar format, only with the countries of the world. It groups the countries by regions and includes maps, atlas info, as well as fun facts about each country with awesome illustrations.

My dd spends hours pouring over these two books, reading and re-reading, and I often hear an excited voice say, "Mommy, did you know.....?!" These books are so worth purchasing and just leaving in the book basket! Maybe they are mentioned in some of the MFW manuals we haven't gotten to yet? But, in case they're not, I had to mention it!! Happy reading :-)
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

akoldenhoven

Transportation through U.S. History

Unread post by akoldenhoven » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:06 pm

I try to encourage my children to try new things, even if it doesn't come naturally. As we were studying Adventures, I found a wonderful book called "Make a World" by Ed Emberley. It shows you how to draw all sorts of pictures with simple geometric shapes (i.e. lines, circles, squares, triangles, etc.) I would draw it step by step and have my children (8 and 4 yrs) just follow along on their own paper. We chose to make a set of drawings throughout the year of transportation methods (viking ship, the Santa Maria, steam ship, covered wagon, steam train, Model T, and finally the Wright Airplane). We put them up as we worked our way through the timeline on the opposing wall and it really helped my son think through U.S. History in terms of how people could (or couldn't) move around the nation. Such a fun book!
Attachments
Transportation through US History.JPG
Picture of the drawings - coloring them was as much fun as drawing them!
Transportation through US History.JPG (33.09 KiB) Viewed 17639 times
Amanda K.
4th Grade son in CTG
Kindergarten daughter in A to Z