Field Trip Ideas for Adventures

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
wifeof1mom25

Re: Travel Advice

Unread post by wifeof1mom25 » Wed May 13, 2009 10:52 am

That's a great idea -- I hope you have a great trip! Since you're asking about my area of the country, I thought I'd throw a few in:

-- National Air Force Museum, Dayton: this is FREE and a fun walk-through, even with little ones (not sure of your ages). Big planes, good displays, picnic area. http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/

-- Boonshoft Museum of Discovery: also in Dayton, good interactive displays -- we like the Indy Children's Museum but we like this little gem even more. And, it's right beside the...

-- SunWatch, original site of an 800-year-old Native American village. Would go great with Adventures. If you hit it right in June, there's a traditional gathering with storytelling, etc. More info here: http://www.boonshoftmuseum.org/index.ph ... view&id=66

-- Splurge and take them on a real riverboat ride on the Ohio River. Kentucky side is Covington, Ohio side is Cincinnati. (http://www.nkytourism.com/attractions/riverboats.aspx) The whole area is just great. You could then hit the wonderful Newport Aquarium (http://www.newportaquarium.com/) and fun restaurants/shops around it.

Hope this helps!

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Wed May 13, 2009 8:57 pm

I'm an Indiana girl, and let me tell you, there's more than corn in Indiana! :)

The Children's Museum of Indianapolis is an ABSOLUTE MUST!! Children of ALL ages will love it. You can easily spend a whole day there! It is actually the largest children's museum in the world. It is very hands on and educational. Anyone who visits loves it.

Someone mentioned Conner Prairie. That is another fun place. It would perhaps compliment your trip to the Wilder's home. It is actually in Noblesville, IN - about a 30 minute drive from the Children's Museum of Indianapolis. Noblesville is basically a suburb of Indy.

Indianapolis itself is a terrific city to explore. They have a wonderful zoo (Indianapolis Zoo). The downtown is clean and safe. There is a 4 level mall downtown, if you're up for shopping.

I have heard that the Creation Museum is terrific, too! We hope to visit it later this year.

Hope your trip is great!
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

LA in Baltimore

VIRGINIA - THOMAS JEFFERSON

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Mon May 25, 2009 1:32 pm

We just visited Thomas Jefferson's Monticello in Charlottesville, VA.
They opened a new visitor's center this past April.
It is wonderful! They have added a Children's Discovery Museum where you can touch and play with many duplications of what they will see in the main house and on the grounds tour. It really helped them to read about and play with the information before the formal tour.

DS4home

Historic places to visit for ADV?

Unread post by DS4home » Wed May 27, 2009 5:47 pm

amana_seeker wrote:We will be moving from Texas to Wisconsin for 3 months. Since we will be studying the U.S. and its history this year, it seem like a golden opportunity to stir up the boys' interest. I will be ordering my materials before we leave, so the boys can trace our route on their laminated maps, and we have some state games to play on the way, as well as many old radio programs with an American history theme.

Do you any of you have any tips/ideas of historical places we could stop and see on the way? We will be driving from Austin, TX through Oklahoma, Missouri, and up through Illinois, to Milwaukee. Anything along that route? Springfield Ill is the only one on my list, so far. I think one or at the most 2 big ones will be plenty. But any little ones that just involve pulling over to look at a major battlefield or the signing of a treaty, etc would be nice too.

Thanks!
Michelleamana_seeker
You might want to take in The Gateway Arch in St.Louis. That might be considered a big one!

Dawn
Celebrating our 29th Anniversary <3
Amber(HS Grad, Married), Carmen(HS+Col Grad, Married), Nathan(HS Grad, College), & Bethany(10th).

2019: WHL for the 3rd time!
Completed the MFW cycle: Pre K-yr.5, AHL(pilot), WHL, US Hist.1

Julie in MN

Re: Historic places to visit for ADV?

Unread post by Julie in MN » Wed May 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Michelle,
How fun!

Missouri is full of amazing places. There are some links here: http://www.mostateparks.com/places.htm
Oregon trail
Lewis & Clark trail
Trail of Tears
Pres. Truman site
George Washington Carver site

Some of these continue in Illinois, but the biggest things in Illinois are probably Lincoln & Chicago/Great Lakes.

Wisconsin is where Laura Ingalls Wilder was born (right on the border of Minnesota). Here are links to Laura sites:
http://lauraingallswilder.com/homesites.asp

National Parks are great places to explore, where you can be sure there'll be "something" to look at:
http://www.nps.gov/

We cherish our travel memories! And what a great way to just be a family together.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

schelean

Re: Historic places to visit for ADV?

Unread post by schelean » Wed May 27, 2009 10:17 pm

Michelle
We just returned from a similiar trip - got home late last night. We have just finished up Adventures and wanted to see some of the wonderful places we had read about. We enjoyed the following:
Missouri
Laura Ingalls Wilder's home in Mansfield, MO near Springfield
George Washington Carver National Park (I believe it is just north of Springfield, MO)
Merramac (sp?) Caverns off of I-44 (you will see signs) was also used as a hide out for Jesse James. Sluicing and river boat rides are aslo available here. We didn't get to because they were only offered on weekends until their summer started. The caverns are nothing like Carlsbad in NM but were fun for the kids and a nice break in our drive.
The Arch in St. Louis and the Westward Expansion Museum at the base .
Riverboat ride on the Mississippi River (river was flooded while we were there so we didn't get to ride boat but really wanted to).
Ilinois
Lincoln's Home/Museum in Springfield
Lincoln's Log Cabin Village just a few miles outside of Springfield

Hope that helps a little!
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

schelean

Unread post by schelean » Wed May 27, 2009 11:15 pm

I wanted to thank you ladies again for all of your great travel advice. God blessed us with a safe and wonderul family trip. Here is a summary of what we ended up visiting:
Laura Ingalls Wilder home in Mansfield, MO
George Washington Carven National Park (north of Springfield, MO - I think)
Meramec (sp?) Caverns (off I-44 on the way to St. Louis, MO) - sluicing and river boat rides are also available daily during the summer. They were not as good as the caverns in Carlsbad, NM but were a nice break in the drive.
The Arch in St. Louise and the Westward Expansion Museum at the base - excellent museum
Mississippi River - river was flooded so we missed the river boat ride
St. Louis Zoo - very crowded. It wasn't quite what we were expecting.
Lincoln's home in Springfield, IL
Lincoln's New Salem Log Cabin Village just outside of Springfield, IL - great for younger children; people in period dress to talk about each cabin
Indiana Dunes Park on Lake Michigan
Niagara Falls in NY - very crowded but incredible!
Erie Canal and locks in Locksport, NY
We then headed home and passed through PA, VA, TN, AR. We saw so many places we wanted to visited but just couldn't stop. Maybe next time...

Thanks again to all of you for the great ideas. I will be saving them for another trip.
Schelean in Texas
MFW user since 2006
Exp-1850 w/dd 11& K w/ds 6

trinabambina

Re: Field Trips - Ideas for Adventures

Unread post by trinabambina » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Here in Denver, we have a historical marker in honor of Christopher Columbus downtown...we are going to find a map, and figure out how to get there, and maybe we will take the light rail. Thought it would be a fun way to go "exploring" and if we end up somewhere other than where we planned to go...I think that will highlight what happened to Columbus, don't you think? We will of course have to pack provisions for the journey, and make sure that we have the proper clothing, etc...I can't wait to go!! I will try and remember to let you know how it turns out!
Trina
Wife to Steve for over 23 years
Mom to Sweet Girl 10, Jalapeno 8 & Pineapple 7.

CtG 2011-2012++
ECC - 2010-2011
Adventures - 2009-2010
MFW 1st Grade - 2008-2009
MFW K - 2007-2008

Amy C.

Field trip idea for those near Holly Springs, MS

Unread post by Amy C. » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:51 pm

The 10th Annual Hummingbird Migration Celebration is this weekend, Sept. 11-13, at Strawberry Plains in Holly Springs, MS. Ruby-throated hummingbirds migrate from Canada through MS to their winter home in Mexico and Central America. This festival is a time to celebrate this migration and see the thousands of hummingbirds on their migration. They also band the hummingbirds. I have heard that they sometimes choose children to help in this process and release the birds after binding. They have a Kid's Nature Activities Tent, guided wagon rides, guided nature walks, a wildlife wonders tent as well as several special programs tents. We have never been to this but have wanted to. I hope to get to go sometime this weekend. I wanted to pass this along to anyone who might be in this area. Their website is http://strawberryplains.audubon.org/ or you can google it. I have heard really good things about it. Just wanted to pass the info along. :)

Amy C.

cbollin

Re: Field trip idea for those near Holly Springs, MS

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:49 pm

Amy,

An out loud thank you from my middle daughter and me. It wasn't just hummingbirds. They had all kinds of displays: snake guy, bat guy, guide nature walks. frog lady, a pond to let you get near the edge and look for cool critters. we saw tadpoles, cricket frogs, dragonfly larvae. it was great.

WOW! Thank you for posting about this. I wouldn't have known about it and I live really close like you said. I'm glad I was able to take my dd and let her enjoy it. I did too.

Postby cbollin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:09 am
I realize this is a really old thread...
But this same place has lots of summer programs too with ecology and nature journaling.....
http://strawberryplains.audubon.org/events/1305
and including an elementary summer ecology camp... I just thought if anyone lived in that area and didn't know about it..

-crystal

hsmomof5

Unread post by hsmomof5 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:22 pm

I've been there with my gang and it's beautiful! I can't go this time but for anyone who does, it's really a great experience.
~Kysha
ds 19 (college freshman), ds 12, ds 12, and ds 10 (ECC '08) (CTG '09), dd 3 (Preschool)

Amy C.

Unread post by Amy C. » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:08 pm

It was great! My boys had so much fun, and we all learned so much. I have to admit that I have been of the mindset that a good snake is a dead snake. I can hear all you nature conservationists screaming, "Shame on you!", but I really learned a lot about snakes that I did not know, like the fact that many snakes are not venomous and actually help control the venomous snake population. Okay, maybe I vaguely remember knowing that at some point. And how they can be beneficial to the ecosystem in other ways. I learned from a homeschooling boy and his mother who made one of the snake presentations (and did a remarkable job, BTW) how to tell the difference between venomous and nonvenomous snakes. But the most memorable thing I learned was from the herpotologist (I even learned that that was a word and what it means) that many snake venoms are used for pharmaceuticals and not just anti-venom. Things like high blood pressure medicine and anti-rejection drugs for people who have had a heart transplant and that the venom from the MS Copperhead is being used to make a drug that is used to treat breast cancer. This is the only snake whose venom is being used for this purpose. Wow! What an eye opener! I still do not love snakes to have one as a pet (which my oldest son would love to have), and my heart about stopped when we saw a Copperhead in the wild on the nature trail heading back to the vehicle 8O (we walked very carefully way away from it), but I did get a different perspective on these creatures. Snake lover? No, but I can see where they can be beneficial....just not in my yard! ;) :)

My boys loved searching for frogs and anything else they could find in the pond. They were absolutely filthy and wet from just about head to toe, but then it rained and what the rain did not wash off, my husband washed off with the water hose. My youngest had to go without his shirt the rest of the day. What a blast! Especially for boys who eat that sort of thing up.

While it was raining and they were getting soaking wet, I had walked to the Davis house (the plantation house) and sat watching hummingbirds out a big glass window. It was a very welcome, calm and peaceful rest. I really enjoyed watching the birds.

We had a wonderful time! Oh, and back to the snakes: I have been thinking how truly amazing God is. I mean who but God could create such a creature, a creature who is depicted in the Bible as the serpent cursed by God to slither on his belly after he tempts man to disobey God. As a result of that first sin, the earth was cursed and sickness and disease entered into it, and to think that the serpent's venom (that can also be so deadly) is being used today to help treat illnesses and disease. Who but God? I am in awe of Him!

Amy C.

jasntas

Adventures and the Civl War (Field Trip)

Unread post by jasntas » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:51 pm

I just wanted to share the neat experience we had recently.

On Saturday, October 3rd we went to a Civil War Reenactment in a nearby city. I wanted to take my kids since we are going to touch on it this year in Adventures but was reluctant because we hadn't covered it yet. I also didn't know if they would really even be interested. I was so surprised at how much my ds actually got out of it. He absolutely loved it.

When we watched one of the battles and the cannons all went off in succession my ds yelled out, "That was awesome!" A mom standing near us said, "That's what I'm talking about". She and I had just been discussing how we weren't sure if our kids were old enough to really get anything out of it. The Calvary also "reenacted" a battle right in front of us, horses and all. (We are studying horses this week in K).

After the battle, we walked through the demonstrations, shops and displays. My 5 yo dd was fascinated with the ladies working the looms. We saw people making candles, a blacksmith, walked through the military camps, saw lots of quill pens (we will be making our own in a week or so) and so much more that I can't even remember. We purchased my ds a Union Civil War cap and my dd a bonnet. My ds bought himself a pop gun pistol.

As we were ready to leave we saw an actor playing Abe Lincoln. My ds eagerly went up to him and we were able to take his picture with him. (My dd wasn't so eager but she isn't crazy about any stranger.) The actor was very much in character and acted much the way I would have expected Mr. Lincoln to have acted. He acted very kind and was soft spoken. When we prepared to leave he asked us to wait a minute as someone else was approaching him. When he could get back over to us he gave each of my kids a new penny. He said these pennies were a special edition and were only minted for this year. (The back of the penny is different. It looks like Abe sitting on a log reading a book, I believe.) My ds asked if they would be worth something one day. He said he didn't know but that he paid ten cents a piece for his but that it was worth it to be able to give them to the kids.

On the way home my ds asked if the Civil War was part of "his timeline". I told him yes and he was ecstatic.

I am curious as to how much they will both remember when we actually study Abe Lincoln and the Civil War.

I just wanted to share and to tell all of you that if you get the chance to go on a field trip that pertains to your studies, take the opportunity if you can.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

jasntas

Revisiting past field trips

Unread post by jasntas » Sat May 15, 2010 9:28 pm

Last fall we visited a Civil War Reenactment where I took lots of pictures. When we 'visited' the Civil War during our ADV study I put the pictures in a small album and had my dc relive their experience. It was really neat to hear, "Remember when I met the actor playing Abraham Lincoln." And, "Remember how loud the big cannons were." Etc.
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Kelly1730

Williamsburg trip questions

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:04 pm

ruthie5573 wrote:I am hoping to plan a trip to Williamsburg for sometime this Fall. I'm trying to figure out the most economical way to do it & I'm a little confused by the ticket prices online. My kids will be 7, 5, 4 at the time of the trip & I know we won't be able to spend the entire time on tours, etc. I'm just wondering how economical & practical the flex tickets are (tickets that include colonial Williamsburg, Busch Gardens, Jamestown, Yorktown, etc.)...should we just wait & buy tickets as we go once we are there or purchase ahead of time? Just trying to figure out our budget. Thanks in advance!
Melanie,
We went to Williamsburg two years ago and had a wonderful time! I'm looking forward to my boys fifth grade year when our studies will tie in to make another trip. They have a "homeschool" week, I think in September. That's when we went. The tickets are discounted for homeschoolers and a lot of the events and activities are directed to them that week. Just a thought.
ruthie5573 wrote:Hey Kelly-
I looked on their site & saw they have a homeschool week. Is it crazy busy during those weeks? I'm not sure if my hubby could swing it to be off during Sept & we were thinking closer to T'giving....but, the discounted homeschool week would be definitely worth it if we could do it! Thanks!
We didn't find it to be too busy for us. The line to get registered was long the first day but since we pre-payed and registered online we went right through. It was HOT though, even for September. We had a great time, well worth it. Looking forward to returning:)
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

courthart246

Re: Williamsburg trip questions

Unread post by courthart246 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:44 pm

We just took a trip to Williamsburg a couple of weeks ago. It was fantastic! You will really enjoy it. As far as pricing goes, I did not find the flex ticket to be very worth the cost, as some places were free for my youngest to get in. She is 4. Plus only my husband and 2 boys did Busch Gardens. They have special tickets you can buy in Williamsburg that combine Jamestown and Yorktown or all three historic sites for a discount. We ended up only doing Jamestown and Colonial Williamsburg. Just a word of advice: I don't know your kiddos or how much history they can handle at once, but we found that doing a half day of history and a half-day of fun in the pool or relaxing back at our resort worked the best. There are tickets you can buy that are 2 or 3 day tickets, so you can go back over the course of a few days and not have to see everything in one day. Given the ages of your kids, I would highly recommend doing that. I have a 10, 7 and 4 year old, and they really enjoyed the history sites, but were ready to relax after awhile. If you go later in the fall, you might find the weather more agreeable. When we were there it was in the high 90's everyday. That also makes it hard for little ones. If you have a chance, sneak into the big Yankee Candle store. My daughter and I went in there and had a fantastic time. It is really something to see. You can even dip your own candles. Very cool! We also took a day and went to Virginia Beach (about an hour away) to walk up in a lighthouse and see the ocean. My kids and I had never seen the ocean. There is a fantastic aquarium there, but it's a little pricey. We saved in other areas so that we could do the aquarium. They have a neat touch pool and imax theater. If you stay in a hotel or go somewhere for "tourism" advice, they have a book that has tons of coupons in it. We were able to save considerably on meals and souvenirs this way. I hope you have a fantastic time. There is so much to do in Williamsburg! We made some wonderful family memories that we will never forget.
Courtney
Married 20 Years to Jamie
Loving MFW along with my three kids:
ds - 16 (World History and Literature)
ds - 13 (Exploration to 1850)
dd - 10 (Exploration to 1850)

Pylegang

Unread post by Pylegang » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:18 pm

We took our boys to homeschool week at Wiliamsburg last year. The weather was milds, there were lots of "special" educational activities planned, and I honestly do not ever remember thinking that it was too crowded. You can get tickets as low as $5!! You can't beat the price. We had lots of fun and plan to return this fall during homeschool week.
--Angela
Homeschooling classically since 2000--DS grade 6 and DS grade 4.

Kelly1730

Unread post by Kelly1730 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:32 pm

If we lived closer I think we would go every year too. We have close friends who are going during homeschool week this year. We also went to VA beach one day, it wasn't a bad drive at all from Williamsburg.
Blessings,
Kelly
Mom to 6
Mimi to 8
MFW K, MFW 1st, Adventures, ECC, CTG, RTR ,EXP-1850, 1850-MOD, Ancient History and Lit 2016-17

SandKsmama

Unread post by SandKsmama » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:58 am

We've been to the homeschool week twice in September, and I don't think it was crowded at all. That is a GREAT time to visit!! Plus, Jamestown Settlement/Yorktown Victory Center coordinates their homeschool week with Colonial Williamsburg, so you can do all of them for a very low price. The special tours and things they have for homeschoolers make it more special as well. I *highly* recommend going during the homeschool weeks, if you can swing it!!
Amanda, Wife to a great guy since '99, SAHM to 4 fabulous kids! DD(7/96), DS(1/01), DD(8/03), and baby DS (3/09)!
Used MFW K, 1st, ECC, CTG, RTR, Ex1850, and currently using 1850-Modern!

sojen

Unread post by sojen » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:12 am

I was planning a trip to Williamsburg last summer and I requested their travel planner. We immediately got offers for tickets, hotels, etc. We did the same thing before we went to Disney. They still send us codes for unpublished, very low hotel rates and ticket packages. We never made it to Williamsburg, but it is on my list of something I want to do before the kids grow up. Hope you have fun!
Jen in GA
mom to dd 11, dd 8, and ds 5
traveling through the medieval world with RTR.
Slowly starting kindergarten with my little guy.

trinabambina

Re: Field Trip Ideas for Adventures

Unread post by trinabambina » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Today we went to the greatest place - Hiwan Homestead Museum - in Evergreen, Colorado, which is just into the foothills outside Denver. It is a great tie-in with Adventures, with two covered wagons, several out buildings that you can tour (a print shop, tools, a mercantile, and the home place which you can tour with a docent. They also offer lots of classes and I think they may work with homeschoolers too - all of that, and it is FREE!!! If you live nearby, or are going to be in the Front Range area, it is worth checking out!

http://www.jeffco.us/openspace/openspace_T56_R10.htm

Have fun!
Trina
Wife to Steve for over 23 years
Mom to Sweet Girl 10, Jalapeno 8 & Pineapple 7.

CtG 2011-2012++
ECC - 2010-2011
Adventures - 2009-2010
MFW 1st Grade - 2008-2009
MFW K - 2007-2008

jafrajewels

Re: ADV Weeks 4-5

Unread post by jafrajewels » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:38 pm

I wanted to share a field trip we are planning for next week. I really wanted to attend the homeschool days at Jamestown a few weeks ago, but the timing just didn't work out for us. Since we are going to visit family next week in PA, I was looking for field trip opportunities that we could do while we are there. I came across a place called Naeskahoni Town in Black Lick, PA. We can't wait to go there! It fits in perfectly with what we are studying about Native Americans, with lots of hands on learning & experiences. (We are also planning to visit Old Bedford Village http://www.oldbedfordvillage.com/ on the way for a look into Colonial Life as well since the two are located just over an hour from each other. It's off season, but they've assured me there will still be plenty to do on the day we are going...exploring the buildings, crafts, costumed characters, and a fun scavenger hunt they give each student when they enter)

Here's a little of what Naeskahoni Town has to offer. I love that they'll customize your visit to meet your needs and don't mind having a group as small as one family. I can't believe I was raised in PA, have family very close by, & never knew it existed until now! Thank you, Lord, for bringing it to my attention at just the right time!! :-)

Objectives:During and after touring Naeskahoni Town the student/participant will be able to:

-Identify five Native America cultures.
-View structures from five cultures and to be able to compare and contrast cultural differences.
-Listen to discussion and observe Native American cooking, tool making, fur tanning, and hunting/fishing techniques. Through these observations and discussions the students will gain insight into the skills people within the village possesed, promoting greater knowledge of the various cultures and their way of life.
-Grind corn into meal using Native skills.
-Use a primitive bow drill to bore a hole through stone.
-See and touch a tanned beaver, raccoon, skunk, and gray fox hide and will be able to note difference in texture and appearance.
-Listen to discussion and observe hunting and fishing techniques. (traps and fishing nets)
-Listen to discussion of how furs were traded. He or she will then be able to trade with the fur trader.
-Observe and identify two Native American games.
-Listen to achieve insight into community living as cultures live as one.
-Observe how natural dyes were made and used.

Activities

-Tour Naeskahoni Town. During the tour, the guide will share information about 5 Native American cultures, focusing on the type of structures each culture built and providing basic information on the way each culture lived.
-The guide will demonstrate and discuss skill various people within the village would have possesed. Demonstrations included: grinding corn into meal, cooking corn meal into mush, primitive tool making/ use, fur tanning, hunting techniques(traps used for catching game and fishing equipment-poles and nets).
-The guide will discuss how furs were traded for household items, such as, mirrors, blankets, pots, and peices of colorful cloth.
-The guide will discuss and demonstrate two Native American games including: Hoop Snake (roll a hoop and try to throw a stick through it) and Gaming Stones (Stone Age bowling).
-The guide will discuss community living, emphasizing how the cultures lived together as one.
-The guide will demonstrate how natural dyes were made and used.

Pricing and Criteria Admission Price
Children: $6.00 per person
Seniors: $8.00 per person
Adults: $10.00 per person
Groups: $6.00 per person

Group tours with every 20 children are granted 1 adult free admission.

Criteria
Length of time-2-2 1/2 hours(can be adapted to meet your needs)
Maximum number of participants-4 Bus Loads of People.
Call (724)248-0114 or http://www.naeskahonitown.com/
Open All Year for Bookings & Reservations!
For school tours - April 1 to November 15.

Hope this helps someone!
Julie
Happily married to dh since 1993
Thrilled to be mom to two HUGE blessings - ds (2003) & dd (2009)

MFW 1st 2009-2010
Adventures 2010-2011

Renee413

Rhode Island visit

Unread post by Renee413 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:58 pm

kacairo1 wrote:We'll be heading to Rhode Island this summer and I'd like to cover some famous spots along the way. Does anyone have any suggestions of field trips? We're planning to see the Falls, but I would love some other suggestions that won't be too far out of our way...especially since we'll be doing ADV next school year. Thanks!
How about Plimouth Plantation? We live in CT and will be heading out there next week, weather permitting. It's about an hour from Providence. We're doing ADV for next year so I think this will be wonderful for us!!

Another nice place is Newport. Lots of beautiful old mansions to tour.

And Old Sturbridge Village in Mass is really great. Not sure how far that will be from you in R.I. You can pull up their web-site.

Everything is pretty packed in here in New England-- you can pass through 3 states in an hour!
~Renee
Colin - age 8: ECC, TT 4, PLL, Spelling Power
Analise - age 7: ECC, MUS Beta, PLL, SS & S

Completed: K, 1st, ADV

navywifecvn68

Re: Field Trip Ideas for Adventures - week 18 - cotton gin

Unread post by navywifecvn68 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:08 pm

In studying week 18 in Adventures with our children, we went on a field trip to learn more about cotton farming & ginning. We went to the "Southern Kansas Cotton Growers Co-Op Inc. in Winfield, KS (1 hour South of Wichita). We were given a hands-on lecture and tour of the facility and learned how cotton grows, is harvested, ginned, packaged, and sold in addition to the many uses of its bi-products. If you are in the area and would like a tour as well, the person who gave us the tour and lecture is in charge of Consulting & Public Relations and is: Rex Friesen, Ph.D. His email address is: southern.kansas.2@pcca.com. Or his cell is area code 620-222-4818. Cotton ginning and harvesting occurs at this facility in the fall through early winter though so you will need to make sure you coincide your week 18 lesson on Eli Whitney & the cotton gin during these seasons. Have fun & God Bless! - The Casteel Family P.S. the warehouse has very graphic pictures posted of what can happen to hands that are not careful (for the workers). Also, when ginning is under way the warehouse is so loud that you cannot hear the facilitator explain things, but he uses his hands. We went at a time that the equipment had just broke down so it wasn't running - which made it great for us as our children were young - 2, 4, 8, 9.5 & 11. It would have been way too loud for us all. The lecture taught us how it all works and the walk through taught us even more. With explainations we were all able to understand the process. If you have little ears going, I would suggest scheduling a time with Rex when the ginning equipment is not running. ;) Enjoy!
Melanie 3/10/74 - The Homemaker
Kevin 7/11/63 - The USN (Ret) Air Traffic Controller
Vince 12/21/00 - The Artist
Roman 8/10/02 - The Comedian
Carmen 2/12/04 - The All American Girl
Ciera 1/12/08 - The Well-Rounded One
Max 12/11/09 - The Engineer

Sweetiemommy

Re: Field Trip Ideas for Adventures

Unread post by Sweetiemommy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:04 pm

If Jamestown is too far for some of you, The Virigina Museum of Frontier Culture is very interesting and located in Northwest Virginia. Same kind of living history as Jamestown.