Field Trip Ideas for Adventures

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
lea_lpz

Chicago Field Trips for Adventures?

Unread post by lea_lpz » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:20 pm

cefcdana wrote:Anyone have any suggestions for field trips in Chicago to go along with Adventures?
Thanks
Dana
American Girls store pops into my head. Girls or boys?
ds14, dd11,ds9, dd4.5, dd2.5, dd2.5 (yep twins)

cbollin

Re: Chicago Field Trips for Adventures?

Unread post by cbollin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:48 am

It's been a long time since I lived there...

Adler Planetarium.. (goes with some science units in ADV... of course it might or might not agree with your preference on age of earth issues. it's old)
also in that area is MSI - Museum of Science and Industry.

drawing a blank on history stuff that would appeal to that age range. baseball history is certainly part of that... if you like baseball... tour wrigley field....

hmmm... tall buildings... enjoy the lake. Hoping others who have visited with younger children or live there will chime in with where they go on field trips for history stuff with that age. When I lived in Chicago, I didn't have children. The few things I know wouldn't appeal to field trip while on vacation with children in that age. I'd think in terms of science field trips. zoo's. children museums... etc.... but really I'm bumping this up for you....

also... Chicagoland is really big area... do you have a preference of what part or what 'burb, or do you mean in the city itself? (I never liked living there)
cefcdana wrote:All girls ages 5, 6, and 7. We live in St. Louis and just got an American Girl doll store- my girls are sure happy about that! Adventures is early American history this year and I think in terms of science it is Science in the Kitchen, Science in Air, Magnets--- any other big topics that I am missing? I think I would be most interested in visiting places that tie in with the history though.
ok.. so you're from st. louis... going to Chicago... scratch the idea of the visit to Wrigley field. too much Cards-Cubs rivalry. giggle... but it is history! giggle.. My dh's family use to tease us when we live in Chicago.

and your oldest child is 7. history... uhm.. let me ask it this way.. uhmm... if you were doing field trip locally for "history" what places in STL would you visit that would be doable for your family and their interest level? and is there anything like that in Chicagoland as part of your vacation time.....

ok.. at home you'd do the Arch and the Lewis and Clark museum there.
so that's western expansion.... nah...

uhmm..
you might consider Chicago Union Station. railroad issue.. and maybe they'd compare it to St. Louis Union Station...

how about this.... as a starting place to look around.
http://www.chicagohistory.org/kidsfamil ... isit/index

You'll want something that is more hands on and family friendly.

it's a start. also check the explore chicago visitor's center website for other things. keep in mind... they are very young... make it fun... and it's vacation. maybe I can reach my BIL and his wife. they have a child going into 1st grade.... st. louis natives who just moved from chicago after he finished law school... maybe they have some tips of what their princess liked to do.

-crystal

cbollin

Bakery Field Trip??

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:37 pm

4monkeyz wrote:We are on week 7 of Adventures and I thought it was a fun idea to visit a bakery. I know kind of last minute, but hey, we have been sick! ;) Anyways, I called a few places and didn't get anywhere (hung up on) and was wondering what other moms did? Should I just take them to a grocery store bakery?? Sights, smells, maybe buy a donut?

And looking ahead...next week is B. Franklin and printing. Any suggestions for calling a newspaper and not getting hung up on? :)
for bakery... it helps to go in person and be a regular customer and ask a manager in person. "hey... I'd love for the kids to see what your job is like? is there a time that we could get a quick tour? or can I ask the manager of the store?

go in person to your favorite store..... I've found they get to know me.. I know them and stop and talk and chat... it helps to get quick tours and things like that...

newspaper..... the only time I got to do that was when oldest was in group preschool and the mom of one of the students was married to a writer and arranged it...

??consider video field trips. wasn't there a reading rainbow episode? hmm.... I don't know without more research....

-crystal

tabby

Re: Bakery Field Trip??

Unread post by tabby » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I know that Krispy Kreme gives tours in our area. They also have a glass wall that allows you to see the donuts being made f you don't have the tour option. Would that work? I know they are not located everywhere, though.

We did not have success with trying to schedule a newspaper tour. Our local newspaper only allows kids over 8 or 10 yrs. old (I can't remember), which would have left out younger siblings. I am with Crystal on doing a video field trip if it doesn't work out for you. Do you have a local museum? Sometimes they have displays that may include a printing section.

I hope you can find something that works for your family. Field trip are always fun! :-)
Tabatha :)
2011-2012: RTR - dd 10, ds 7
Enjoying our 6th year with MFW

Julie in MN

Unread post by Julie in MN » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:30 pm

Since 9/11, it's been harder to schedule children's field trips at places like the newspaper around here. Sometimes little museums have old printing press things they can talk about.

However, our large grocery store chain was happy to give our co-op a tour, including their own little baker's hats and apple bags. I imagine it's considered good advertising. Our local Baker's Square restaurant also has monthly pie-making workshops for kids. And we've toured a potato chip factory as well as a bread outlet (we didn't go, but the rest of the group did).

I wouldn't be afraid to ask, and I wouldn't put too much stock in getting hung-up on along the way. I might ask for a manager, though.
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

4monkeyz

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks ladies! We ended up just walking through our local grocery store which has a bakery section - smelled wonderful! I was surprised how much baked goods they actually have! We bought some little mini apple kringle and the older two had a little quiz - name 2 things the bakery makes. Heehee. My oldest dd even noticed the ovens and freezer doors from our little walk through. It gave them the feel and an idea.

On the newspaper thing, one of the men at church is a cartoonist so I might ask him or we might just pass.... ;)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Cyndi (AZ)

Unread post by Cyndi (AZ) » Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:50 pm

Our local Basha's gave an excellent tour a very small homeschool group - with preK kids included. It was really fun.

The Boston Globe has a 4 minute you tube video out called "The Printed Page: A look inside the newspaper printing process" that gives a modern factory view of printing a newspaper (with a Bostonian accent).

eta: standard disclaimer - be careful of searching for anything on you tube when little eyes and ears are around
2018/19: US1877
used MFW from K through WHL

amelasky

Unread post by amelasky » Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:46 am

Ummm.... :~ we watched the Magic School Bus gets Baked into a Cake.....LOL Must have been a rough week at our house.
Annie
Married to my best friend and high school sweetheart for 18years. Blessed momma to my princess (14) and little warrior (10).
Exploration to 1850

4monkeyz

Nutcracker!!!

Unread post by 4monkeyz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:12 am

I'm so excited I had to share!! :-) We are going to take our older two to see the Ballet of Nutcracker!!! It fits in with our music listening for Adventures perfectly and I have been wanting to take my oldest daughter (who is 6) to see it. She has been loving our music listening for school. Yay!!! (they had children's price tickets which is also quite fabulous)
Andrea ~ Christ-Follower, Blessed Wife, Mama of 4
  • Adventures & First 2012
    ECC & K 2013
    CtG, First & K 2014
    RtR & First 2015
    American History detour
    Returning CtG 2019!

Julie in MN

Re: Nutcracker!!!

Unread post by Julie in MN » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:32 am

Oh, how fun! Wish my 16yo son would go with me :)

For any Minnesotans reading this thread, the Nutcracker is big in Minnesota. There's even a web page of Minnesota Nutcracker performances:
http://www.nutcrackerballet.net/html/minnesota.html

The one we used to go to was a good one for kids because they would sort of narrate the story at the beginning, explaining the ballet (which has no words), so that's something to look for. Of course, MFW-1st kids may know the story very well :)

Enjoy!
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs

♥nbamaboyz

Re: Nutcracker!!!

Unread post by ♥nbamaboyz » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:45 pm

We are in ADV so listening to Chocolate & drinking hot chocolate was an assignment the kids loved!
Our Geo. Club was on Russia last week so ds did a report on Tchaikovsky & played Trepak from the Nutcracker Ballet & handed out candycanes while he told how the Russian dancers were dressed like candycanes in the Land of Sweets.

We really had FUN learning about Tchaikovsky & so many of his ballets we've heard before just didn't realize the story behind it. Would love to see this!

CaseyVG

Re: Field Trip Ideas for Adventures - South Dakota

Unread post by CaseyVG » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:11 pm

South Dakota
We went to Laura Ingalls Homestead in De Smet, South Dakota on a trip this past summer. The kids had a great time. Lot's of living history, crafts, horse and buggy ride, school house, etc. There are also a lot of other Laura places to visit in the town, but we didn't have time to see anything else. We stopped there on our way to Yellowstone!
Casey

Caleb: ECC (finished MFW Adventures, 1st & K)
Rebekah: 1st (finished K)
Joshua: 2 year old
Matthew: baby
I blogged MFW K, 1st & Adventures at http://www.simplejoycrafting.blogspot.com

kw4blessings

General Ideas for Adventures - Field trip to DC & more

Unread post by kw4blessings » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:57 pm

tuzor wrote:Question about field trips for Adventures.

I have looked at the Field Trip board for this year but I have a few other questions and I am wondering what other families have done. My boys are 8, 5, and 3. This summer our family vacation will be a trip to some of the places we are studying in Adventures.

Would it be better to have a road trip from TX to DC or fly to DC and then concentrate our trip in DC, MD, VA, PA area?
My vote would be to fly to DC and spend time in the surrounding states you mentioned. We live in VA and are SO excited to begin Adventures next fall as living in this area leads itself to so many field trip opportunities. There is so much to see and do with Am. History throughout VA, MD, PA, etc. that it seems like the best way to spend your time vs. driving from TX. Of course maybe there's some things you could stop and see on the way? Our kids are 6, 4, almost 3 (and overdue baby!) so I am always looking to avoid long car rides :-)

Enjoy your trip, that sounds like a fantastic time either way you go!
Kelly, blessed mama to
sweet girl 10, busy boys 8, 6, 3
Finished K, 1st, Adventures, ECC
2016-17 CTG, K, and All Aboard!

Mom2theteam

Re: General Ideas for Adventures - Field trip to DC & more

Unread post by Mom2theteam » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:33 am

I am in VA too. :-) I agree with Kelly. We are doing Adv next year too. Looking forward to it.
Heather
Wife to an amazing man
Mom to 6, ages 10, 7, 7, 5, 5, 3
Zack, 10 CtG
Samantha & Blake, twins, 7, CtG
Matthew & Joshua, twins, 5, MFW K
Nicholas, 3 derailing and tagging along

froggiemomof3

Unread post by froggiemomof3 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:59 am

I would fly to DC or the surrounding area and then take mini trips to all the wonderful historical places around here. We live in MD and I can't wait for Adventures so we can take all kinds of field trips.
Ayrielle - Mom of 3; DS5, DD3, DD15months

2012-2013 - MFWK
2013-2014 - MFW1(Learning God's Story)

tuzor

Unread post by tuzor » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:34 pm

Thanks I will start researching.

jasntas

Car trip activity

Unread post by jasntas » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:59 am

We drove from California to see family in Texas and Oklahoma. Before leaving, I printed blank copies of the U.S. on cardstock for each of the 'non-drivers' on the trip. Each time we would see a license plate from another state we would color in that state on each of our maps. My dh and dd really got into it. Especially when we were only one state away from home and we still hadn't found Idaho! Well, we finally found it as we were nearing Flagstaff, AZ. We found all but about 4 states. The states we didn't find were all on the East Coast, I think they were Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont. It was a lot of fun!
Tammie - Wife to James for 27 years
Mom to Justin (15) and Carissa (12)
ADV & K 2009-2010 . . . RTR (again) & WHL 2016-2017
http://tammiestime.blogspot.com/
The days of a mother are long but the years are short.

Yodergoat

fun field trip for Adventures (pics)

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:17 pm

Just wanted to share that last week we had an enjoyable field trip for Adventures. We were tent camping at Dauphin Island, Alabama for a week and during that time there was a special living history event called "Colonial Isle Dauphine" held at an old fort. There were folks in colonial style dress (including tricorn hats and such) and blacksmith demonstrations, etc. It was blazing hot but interesting. I learned lots, including the difference between a tricorn hat and a cocked hat (and why pirates liked cocked hats), how to use a quadrant and more. We counted it as a school day. ;)

While there, we found a shop run by two ladies in colonial dress and they were selling colonial costumes. I bought Gail one including the most adorable mop cap and will post the photo of her in it someday. She hasn't worn it yet but I imagine it will be very cute! Gail bought two colonial style doll dresses for her favorite doll... including a little "snood" hat which barely fits the doll but is really sweet. The ladies were tickled to see a little girl who liked to dress in period clothing. That was how they had begun their business... the daughter had wanted to dress up but they couldn't afford to buy the clothes, so the mother learned to make them and now it is just what they both do for fun and profit. And it was cheap... whole dress with vest type thing and mop cap for $25, doll dresses for $5. Great stuff!

The most interesting display to me was a man who was demonstrating writing implements. While we watched, he made a quill pen and let Gail use it (dipping into a real ink well). He gave it to her afterward and was interested to hear that we were about to make one for school. We had been putting off doing the quill pen activity until after our trip and I'm glad we did because he gave some good pointers for making one at home. He suggested cutting the slit BEFORE making your final angled cut, he said it made it much more smooth and even. And indeed, the pen he made wrote very well! He showed how different quill styles were used by different classes and occupations. He also showed graphite sticks and told about the history of pencils. As an artist I found that particularly fascinating. If you look closely in the photos you can see his wooden writing desk and a variety of implements and ink wells. You can also see from Gail's red face and sweaty hair that it was HOT. I got a migraine from the heat but it was worth it. :)

We found a nice feather on our trip and plan to make our pen from it.

The colonial event was an unexpected bonus to our trip, which was both for family fun and for birding... we're avid birders and Dauphin Island is a great place for birds. It's considered a "migrant trap" because it is a resting place for neotropical birds before migration in fall and also the first place some land after crossing the Gulf during spring migration. We attended a banding event at nearby Fort Morgan and Gail got to hold and release a Magnolia Warbler, a Common Yellowthroat and a Red-eyed Vireo. Gail got many "life birds" for her list during our week there, including several that can only be found along the coast and not in our area in Tennessee. She's probably up to about 135 species or more... we haven't counted yet. That's rather good for a seven year old! My husband and I have been birding since childhood and have about 315 I believe.

What a special blessing to have such an appropriate field trip for school when we didn't even plan it that way! God knew and provided and I am very thankful. :-)

Just had to share!
Attachments
IMG_3029.JPG
Smiling success! It wrote beautifully!
IMG_3029.JPG (97.75 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
IMG_3028.JPG
Trying out the quill pen that the man had just made.
IMG_3028.JPG (108.53 KiB) Viewed 6941 times
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

Yodergoat

Field trip idea for Adventures or Exp-1850 (pics)

Unread post by Yodergoat » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:47 pm

I wanted to let everyone know about a good field trip for either Adventures or Exploration to 1850. We had the chance earlier in the year to visit replicas of two of Columbus' ships. These are part of a tour which stops at ports in various parts of the US... we saw them in Kentucky!

It's a fun experience to go on board the ships and to see the actual size of them! On one hand they are huge and grand, but when you consider how many men worked and lived on the vessels you can see the hardships as well. The tour is for above decks only, because the crew have private quarters below. The crew members who actually sail these ships are on board to give explanations and answer questions. When we were there, we saw a crew member dressed as Columbus and Gail was glad to get her photo made with him.

These photos were a great addition to her Adventures US History notebook. :)

Here is a website with more information about the ships. Click on "Ports Schedule" at the top of the page to see the remainder of 2013 and ports for 2014. They say on the website that they make stops along the Gulf Coast, the East Coast, the Great Lakes, and the Midwestern River System. They will schedule a guided tour for school groups (including homeschool groups of enough participants), but otherwise the tours are self-guided. There is lots of other info on the website as well!

http://www.thenina.com/index.html

Just thought I would share!
Attachments
IMG_2891.JPG
IMG_2891.JPG (66.64 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
IMG_2889.JPG
IMG_2889.JPG (100.45 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
I'm Shawna...
... a forgiven child of God since 1994 (age 16)
... happily wed to William since 1996
... mother of our long-awaited Gail (3/15/2006)
... missing 6 little ones (4 miscarriages, 2 ectopics)
... starting Rome to the Reformation this fall!

MelissaB

Re: Field trip idea for Adventures or Exp-1850 (pics)

Unread post by MelissaB » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am

We were able to get on these ships two years ago when they came to Arkansas. (*If they haven't come to your area yet, hang in there! They're going all over the main area of the U.S. :) ) The children weren't tired or bored at the end, and didn't want to get off of the ships. It's a wonderful tour.

Btw, YWAM Publishing has a good biography on Christopher Columbus. It's isn't biased (for or against Christopher Columbus) like some biographies, but presents the facts and lets the reader decide. Great read.

P.S. Gail is a cutie-pie. What a sweet smile!
Melissa B. (Arkansas)
Girls ages 16 & 13
Completed K, 1st, and Investigate {ECC; CTG; RTR; Expl.-1850; and 1850-Mod. Times}
"That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,.." Titus 2:4