ADV Week 34

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Week 34

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:01 am

Adventures in MFW Week 34

BostonMom

Adventures--President Bush Wrote Back!

Unread post by BostonMom » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:16 am

President Bush Wrote Back!

Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:52 pm

Just had to share how excited my daughter was when she heard back from the President. The last day of Adventures, the assignment was for the kids to write a letter to the President. She wrote and told him she was praying for him. He (or his letter writing secretary...wink, wink) wrote back and thanked her for her prayers. "He" also sent an 8x10 photo. Pretty neat! Thanks, MFW!

Linda, TX

response from President

Unread post by Linda, TX » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:17 am

Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:33 am

When my daughter wrote the President almost 3 years ago, she received trading cards_ one of the President, one of Air Force One, one of the President's dog etc.
Fun!!

courthart246

Unread post by courthart246 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:18 am

Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:52 pm

I'm so happy for you guys!

We just received a letter yesterday from the president as well after writing to him in May for Adventures. We were so excited. I think that it's great that someone takes the time to answer letters from the children in our country.

Courtney

Spinnaker1

Unread post by Spinnaker1 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:47 am

Spinnaker1 wrote:My son wrote his letter to the President at least two months ago. About how long did it take for you to receive a reply?

My son has stopped watching the mail for it.
Funny. We received our response from the White House the day after I posted the previous message!

We received a letter and an 8x10 glossy of Barney, the President's dog.

It took about 8-10 weeks.

mrsfields

Unread post by mrsfields » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:22 pm

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:06 pm

We did ADV last year and in May, my 7yr ds and 3yr dd sent a letter to President Bush. Well, today my dd received a letter back which also included a photo of Pres. Bush and a photo of the 1st dog. She really enjoyed the mail and I am hoping that my ds will receive one soon, also. ADV was a fun year!!

Winkie

Unread post by Winkie » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:23 pm

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:59 pm

We also recently received a letter "from" President Bush in response to ds's letter he wrote as part of ADV. My ds had mentioned that he would pray for the President and the letter reflected that he appreciated prayers on his behalf, I liked that. Ds also received a photo of Pres. Bush and one of the dog. :-)

LA in Baltimore

Re: Week 34

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:01 pm

We received a response from President Obama today.
Three of my children wrote individual letters.
At this point only one received a reply.
She received a general Thank You letter addressed to "Dear Student".
It was a kind, generic letter.
No photos or other items.

Edited to add: The other 2 letters (actually 3 because they wrote my son twice!) arrived one day later.
They received the same form letter with no additional information.

doubleportion

Re: ADV Week 34 - Alaska

Unread post by doubleportion » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:27 pm

My daughter found a nice picture book at the library called Swift by Robert J. Blake, Philomel Books published by Robert J Blake copyright 2007.

Nice adventurous story about a young boy and his dog who go hunting with his father and the father is attacked by a bear and they must go to get help. Beautiful oil paintings for the illustrations. It is set in Alaska.The author even has a post script which says that you can still stake a homestead claim for land in Alaska and that as research for his book writing he spent time with a homesteading family in Healy, Alaska.

This would be a good book for book basket for ECC in the United States weeks or for the Alaska week in ADV.

:)

Edie

Freckleface78

Re: ADV Week 34

Unread post by Freckleface78 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:18 pm

At the end of last year's school my son wrote a letter of encouragement to the President. I was concerned because the above poster said that all they'd recieved in return was 1 generic letter. In response, he got back a letter (yes, generic but my son was still trilled that it had the White House's seal on it), signed photographs of himself and his family, an interview with the president sheet, a trading-card style picture of their dog and a activity book about designing the White House. How fun!

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Wed May 23, 2012 10:30 am

MAKE A COPY OF THE LETTER YOUR CHILD WRITES...WHAT AN EXCITING ACTIVITY FOR MY SON! He wrote the sweetest letter. I wanted a copy to go into his binder for him to look at years down the road. Thanks Marie for incorporating such a simple but fun end of the year activity. I'll post later on how President Obama responds....
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)

klewfor3

Unread post by klewfor3 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:18 am

UPDATE:

President Obama responded....and my ds got a great packet! He received an encouraging letter from the President and a lot of other things. He also received a picture of the Obama family, a picture of the president, a picture of the White House, a picture of the layout of the White House and labeled rooms, a brochure about all the artwork displayed, a trading card for the Obama's dog, and an interview with the President with very kid friendly questions...like 'what is your favorite children's book?' and 'do you get nervous in front of crowds?'. My ds was so excited and proud.

While personally or politically I do not agree with the current President, it allowed us to discuss respecting our leaders and praying for them. I was very glad that the packet we received focused on the history of the position and didn't project any political agenda...it was very well done!

So glad that this exercise was included by the Hazel's.
Kathy
Mom of Tyler 13, Paige 10, Brooklyn 9 and Chase 3
God bless us!
We've used:
MFW-K
MFW 1st (both versions)
MFW ADV
ECC
CTG
RTR
Expl-1850
Currently using 1850-Modern Times (2016/2017)