ADV Weeks 32-33

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 32-33

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:02 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 32-33

JenniferF

Week 32: Adventures

Unread post by JenniferF » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:06 pm

Posted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:33 am

Today is a Very Special Day!! Sunday July 1st at 2pm Katie, my oldest, is getting baptized!! She has been thinking and talking about it for quite a few months now but just wasn't quite ready.

The other day we were discussing John 1:1 "In the beginning was the Word and the Word was with God and the Word was God."

I was telling her about a girl named Sonja, who likes to read and play outside and eat pizza. Now you know a bit about Sonja, but if she could come to your house, you could talk with her and play with her and really get to know her. You would begin to recognize her voice.

God gave his people the Old Testament to know about him and gave them laws but then he sent His Son so we could really get to know him. Everything he is about. And to talk with him, to hear his voice.

Katie said she hasn't heard Jesus' voice yet...."maybe you have to be baptized to hear his voice!" So we started discussing the Holy Spirit. While she believes in Jesus and loves and knows Him, there is one part missing, you don't have the Holy Spirit yet. She decided then, "I want to be baptized!! I want to hear his voice!!"

And so we talked and prayed and soon she will have her daddy baptize her....on her daddy's birthday. And she will be my Sister in Christ.

P.S. The talk about Sonja and God had the OT for us then sent Jesus came from a very wonderful source!! It is from Week 32 in Adventures!! Thank you David, Marie and family!!

Jennifer
mom to My Three Girls
8yo--Enjoying ECC
6yo-- MFWK/ 1st and
2yo-- loving life
MFW all the way!

lofgrenhomeschool

Week 33: Place of Geronimo's birth?

Unread post by lofgrenhomeschool » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:25 am

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:32 pm
Brenda in PA wrote:We are working on week 33 of Adventures and the birthplace of Geronimo is shown in both New Mexico and Arizona. I have looked on the Internet and, depending on the website, it could be either place.

I like to skim the information about each state and find images of interesting places or people associated with the state we are working on, for the kids to put in their state notebooks. I found some great images of him, by the way. Then, when I got to Arizona I saw him mentioned, along with a drawing of him, on the Arizona page of the Dover coloring books. So...that got me to wondering :-)

Does anyone know, definitively, where he was born? ]
When I google it I find more mention of him being born in Clifton, AZ. However, there are some sites that mention Silver City, NM.

Both of these places are fairly close to the AZ/NM border and each other and both places would have been Mexico back then and not either AZ or NM, which may account for the uncertainty.

So, in other words, we may never know and it seems from the websites that mentioned one place or another had disclaimers saying that his birth place is unsure and that it most likely is Clifton, AZ, or Silver City, NM.
Christa

cbollin

Week 33: Place of Geronimo's birth?

Unread post by cbollin » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:26 am

Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:44 pm

You're right. we're never going to know.

On the NM state sheet it says he was born in 1829 in (what is now called) New Mexico. At first I was consistently finding the following information.
He was born near the headwaters of the Gila River about 1829. That would put it somewhere near the area of New Mexico's Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument.

However, I just googled it again and this time I'm finding the Arizona connection. And seeing all of these tourist towns that lay the claim that he was born there or lived there or whatever.

You know what this reminds me of --- driving through Missouri and seeing all the signs for all of Jesse James' "favorite" hideouts.

We'll never know. Sure did make for fun researching this afternoon. Makes me wonder how all of these genealogy people do their research.

--crystal

Renai

Books for New Mexico

Unread post by Renai » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:15 am

Since there aren't many book suggestions for New Mexico, I thought I'd post a series. We just call it the "Carlos series." It's based on a boy that lives in La Espanola Valley in northern NM (about a 20-30 minute drive from me :) ). They are bilingual picture books by Jan Romero Stevens. The titles are: Carlos and the Squash Plant, Carlos and the Cornfield, Carlos and the Skunk, Carlos Digs to China, Carlos and the Carnival.

Carlos and the Squash Plant is the first in the series, but the books can be read in any order. In the first book, he repeatedly lies telling his mom that, yes, he has washed his ears. His mom warns him what will happen if he does not clean them everyday, "A squash plant will grow out of it." There is a consequence for sin.

All the books are equally funny, and uphold family values.
Renai
Wife to Enrique
Mom of two dd- 9/99 & 1/11

Bilingual homeschool
2004-05 SL
2005-2012 MFW
2012-2013 K12
2013-2014 dual-language charter
2014-2015 MFW Ancients/young'un- MFW preschool, reading books

http://creativeplaybilingual.blogspot.com/

Ariasarias

Picture Book for Montana

Unread post by Ariasarias » Tue May 06, 2008 7:54 pm

We just read a great book about a very loyal sheepdog in Montana. He is actually very famous. The book is called Shep: Our Most Loyal Dog by Snee B. Collard III. We highly recommend it.
Nicole, wife to Claudio since 1996, and mom to dd (2000), dd (2003), dd (2005), and ds (2009).

hsmom

Book recommendation for Adv week 33 or 34 Wright Brothers

Unread post by hsmom » Sat May 30, 2009 1:13 am

We've been enjoying the book The Wright Brothers: Pioneers of American Aviation (Landmark Books) By Quentin Reynolds. I almost did not read it to them because some of the other Landmark books I've picked up seemed better for older kids. We've been doing this one as a read aloud.

We've actually been done with adv. for a wk or 2, but I decided to read this to my boys. (age 8 and 4) The 8 yr old seems to really enjoy it and always wants me to read another chapter(maybe he just doesn't want to go to bed though! lol). 4 yr old seems to be following along pretty well too, though I wouldn't read it just to someone his age... He's a tag-a-long at this point. My 8 yr old says it's better than the video ( the Nest one, which I liked, and they seemed to like, too). Oh, you might want to know that it does mention the death of their mom. Hope someone else will enjoy it like we have.

cherryfruit

Re: ADV Weeks 32-33

Unread post by cherryfruit » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:50 pm

We happened to be doing these weeks in the middle of April, so I used a notebooking page from Activity Kids with a picture of the Titanic. I read them a book about it and let them write a synopsis and color the picture. We added it to our binders. FYI, the Titanic sank on April 15th, 1912.

While making the Navajo fry bread, I realized I should have gone over fractions before beginning. I was letting my 7yo measure the water and I explained to her what 1 and a half meant. So when she got to the half cup of milk, guess what happened...yep, 1 and a half! So we had to add more of the dry ingredients. It was a good lesson. So have a talk about fractions BEFORE you start if you are letting your students do the measuring.

And another tip...before or after The Miracle Worker is a good time to discuss the passage in the Bible that Jesus explains why a man was born blind (John 9).

So sad this year's adventure is almost over.