ADV Weeks 30-31

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 30-31

Unread post by Marie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:02 am

Adventures in MFW Weeks 30-31

Toni@homezcool4us

Ah! Resurrection cookies and their impact on my dd.

Unread post by Toni@homezcool4us » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:56 pm

Posted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:55 am

We made our Resurrection cookies in Adventures last night. DO NOT skip this activity. It's awesome (and the cookies are delish too). Anyway, what a blessing the evening was. I posted about it over at my blog...
  • FAITH LIKE A CHILD
    Our evening was planned out. I realize they weren't hot plans that would make the next person oooh, aaah and covet. But as for me, the evening was glass half full.

Simply stated, we had dinner together, took the kids for an evening walk through the neighborhood, then planned to make some special cookies we've all been looking forward to. And baths would end the day.

The cookies were scheduled as an activity for homeschool. They're called Resurrection cookies and they serve as a tool to help children better grasp the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. We enjoyed sharing this experience with our kids and they really responded well to the kinesthetic message.

But it wasn't the family time that made my day great (though I did fully enjoy it). And it wasn't the really cool activity with the all important message. Rather, it was the response that was stirred in my 7½ year old daughter's heart. As we taped the oven door shut (to symbolize sealing the tomb), she dashed upstairs, quickly asserting, "I'll be right back!"

Several minutes later, she returned with a piece of journaling paper in her hand.
    "I made this. I thought we could tape it to the oven door too, for Jesus."

Dear Jesus
    thank you for diying on the crooss.
    Thank you.
    we made cookies
    for you.

Faith like a child. I'm always blown away by what my God can teach me through the eyes and hearts of my own children. And by the way, Olivia's own attempt at learning cursive was noted as she penned, "on the cross." I haven't taught cursive yet (this summer), but she's chomping at the bit to learn it so she's attempting to teach herself without me. Oy vey.

I praised God for her heart response this evening. As Tedd Tripp so clearly points out in his book Shepherding A Child's Heart, providing the best possible shaping influences is important. But we are not merely molding passive clay. And children are not merely passive receivers of the shaping influences they encounter. They are active responders who will either accept or reject the shaping and molding that occurs in all families. So again I say, praise God for Olivia's tender heart response this evening. Oh and by the way? The cookies are delish.

Mark 10:13-16
    13People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. 14When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. 15I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." 16And he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them.
UPDATE: Carl and I sampled a few cookies after they baked last night. Reece is our early riser. He came downstairs first today and immediately recalled the cookies that were placed in the oven when he went to bed last night.
"Momma, can I see the cookies?"
"Sure, bud. Let's do it."
I explained that the tape over the oven was now cut away, just like the stone over the tomb had been rolled away. I opened the oven and he peeked inside.
Astonished, he exclaimed, "Jesus ate some!"

Toni

http://inthemidstofthisseason.blogspot. ... child.html
I invite you to join me IN THE MIDST OF THIS SEASON

tabby

Re: Adventures week 31 recipe

Unread post by tabby » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:08 am

henryteachers wrote:For adventures, week 31, there is a recipe to make honey peanut butter balls. Does the recipe mean to use cocoa (unsweetened) or cocoa you use to make hot chocolate? Wasn't sure. Thanks!
I took it to mean the unsweetened cocoa and used that. They turned out good...kind of a toned down Reeses' Peanut Butter Cup. We are planning on making some more soon because we enjoyed them that much.
HTH! :-)
Tabatha :)
2011-2012: RTR - dd 10, ds 7
Enjoying our 6th year with MFW

RBS in OH

Re: Resurrection Cookies -oven instructions?

Unread post by RBS in OH » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:27 pm

doubleportion wrote:We have made these every Easter for the past few years. This is the first year to use the ADV variation. I noticed my original recipe (which I have used with success) calls for a 300 degree oven and then you place the cookies in the oven and then turn it OFF. The ADV recipe says to cook at 200 for 2 hours. Have any of the you done it both ways? Just wondering what the difference is?

Thanks,
Edie
Can't find my old recipe, but I do remember turning the oven off when cookies go in (so maybe it was 300 also?) I only did it once and they didn't turn out that great. This time (at 200 for 2 hours) was better. I wondered if beating the mixture longer made the difference. The stiffer the batter gets, the more likely it will keep it's shape and the weight of it won't sink in as much--leaving bigger air pockets?? But sounds like you've done well as far as that goes. :)
Rachel

ds(14) 8) and dd(14) ;)
We've enjoyed ADV, ECC (2 times), CTG, RTR, EX-1850, 1850-MOD--and now AHL this year!

mom2h

Re: Resurrection Cookies -oven instructions?

Unread post by mom2h » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:10 am

Renai wrote:Anyone know of a high altitude recipe for this cookie?
Thanks!
I think there is a recipe on Annie's website...

LA in Baltimore

Re: Weeks 30-31

Unread post by LA in Baltimore » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:36 pm

Week 30: Transcontinental Railroad
We noticed on our map, after reading about the completion of the railroad, that the men working westward appeared to lay many more miles of track. The story had been thorough enough that the children were able to remember the people working eastward had to dig through and/or skirt around the sides of mountains! That takes lots of time! Also, much of the track was already completed in the eastern section of the country. We tied that in with the fact that Abraham Lincoln had previously travelled by train to Washington, DC when he became president of the U.S.A.

akoldenhoven

Re: Fun with Magnets - Warning for Card 8

Unread post by akoldenhoven » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:37 pm

We adored using the Fun with Magnets kit and frequently took hours to finish science each day during the lessons as the kids would spend so much time trying other ideas.

One word of warning on card 8, though. Electromagnets with a D battery create a LOT of heat. We were attempting to magnetize the metal rod so that it would remain a temporary magnet for a period of time. We left the battery hooked up to the coil with the rod inside for about 10 minutes. The battery was so hot it could have melted the carpet! However, the rod was magnetized and it was a good additional experiment! Next time, we will place it on the concrete and for a shorter duration of time :)
Amanda K.
4th Grade son in CTG
Kindergarten daughter in A to Z