ADV Weeks 28-29

If you are using Adventures in U.S. History, please share your ideas with us.
Marie

ADV Weeks 28-29

Unread post by Marie »

Adventures in MFW Weeks 28-29

Additional ideas on President LIncoln might be found on the EX1850 Ideas board:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 37&start=0
Or the 1850MOD Ideas board:
http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=5009

Additional ideas on Jesus as The Good Shepherd might be found on the CTG board,
for example: http://board.mfwbooks.com/viewtopic.php ... 252#p55252
TurnOurHearts

Link to video ~ Sleeping Beauty ballet

Unread post by TurnOurHearts »

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:46 am
We're catching up on a bit of our music lessons this fine Friday, and I ran across this great video on Youtube of the last scene of The Sleeping Beauty. This scene contains the wedding dance, the complete pas de deux. There were several more ballet videos that came up with this one, in case anyone's interested (for Swan Lake or The Nutcracker). We thoroughly enjoyed this clip!

HTH!
Paige in NC

Wife to Josh (10 years),
Mom to Max (8-ECC), and Halle (6-MFW1)
JenniferF

Unread post by JenniferF »

Posted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:05 pm

Thanks Paige! My girls are much more interested in watching videos of it instead of just listening to the music.

OK- I admit, they would much rather watch the *Barbie* videos of the Nutcracker and Swan Lake! LOL

Jennifer
mom to My Three Girls
8yo--Enjoying ECC
6yo-- MFWK/ 1st and
2yo-- loving life
MFW all the way!
LA in Baltimore

Re: Weeks 28-29

Unread post by LA in Baltimore »

Week 28: Abraham Lincoln
The Nest DVD on Abraham Lincoln fit in really well this week.
mandkhowell

Re: Weeks 28-29

Unread post by mandkhowell »

I just had to post this to say how amazed I was at my 8 yr. old son's re-cap on Kansas in Week 29. The history Channel had a show on called, "The States", where they do about 5 states in a hour. It hits the highlights of that state historically speaking, so I taped a few. I've had my son watch the state we are studing and yesterday's was Kansas. After watching the portion on Kansas, we went and did our state sheet. As I read the back of the sheet my son started telling me how the warm weather from the surrounding states helps to form the tornadoes, etc. I was amazed at all he had retained from this 10 minute piece he watched! He's even asked to take the tapes in his room, so he can watch them in his free time - WOW!!!!

PS - FYI...I will say that I caught a quick clip of California and it did talk about the gay movment. We've skipped that one for the moment.
Rox

Re: ADV Weeks 28-29

Unread post by Rox »

The book Farmer Brown Shears His Sheep: A Yarn About Wool by Teri Sloat is a fun picture book that fits this week.
Also, I feel is beautiful how Mountain Born follows the Bible theme of Jesus the Good Shepherd.
Rox, wife of a Godly man and mother of two boys.
We are thrilled to have used MFW for many years. Thanks to God for blessing our family through homeschooling with MFW!!!
Dusenkids

Science explanation needed! (air resistance)

Unread post by Dusenkids »

beaglemamma2008 wrote:(My favorite thing about homeschooling: Learning right along with my girls! My least favorite thing about homeschooling: Learning right along with my girls! :-) )

DD just completed an experiment in Adventures (Week 28), and I explained it the best I knew how, but I'm still mulling it over in my head. We cut out a piece of tissue paper exactly the same size as a quarter, and dd dropped both the quarter and the tissue paper at the same time. Obviously, the quarter landed first. That made sense to all of us.

Then we put both objects in identical boxes and released them, and they landed at the same time, even though the box with the quarter was heavier. We even repeated it with 8 quarters in the coin box, and they still landed at the same time. The book said (my paraphrase here) that this is because of air resistance: both boxes are the same size and the same shape and therefore push the same amount of air out of the way as they fall, regardless of the weight.

That made sense until I started to think that the quarter and the tissue paper were also the same size and the same shape even though they didn't weigh the same. :~ So who can explain this to a self-professed science dimwit? ;) Is it because the quarter falls more on its side and doesn't catch as much air resistance, while the tissue paper falls more "flat" and therefore catches lots of resistance???
As I remember, how many years ago :~ , everything falls at the same rate of speed, gravity is pushing the objects down with the same force. There is a terminal speed where the force of gravity and the air resistance equal out, max falling speed. The tissue paper reached that speed really quickly (same with feathers, parachutes, etc...) Most things don't reach max speed in that short of distance. Science was one of my favorite subjects but it was a long time ago so I hope this helps.
Martie
Married to Nathan 15 years
Mom to 8 boys ages 12 to newborn
Have used Kindergarten to Modern
Julie in MN

Re: Science explanation needed! (air resistance)

Unread post by Julie in MN »

Really, your kids don't have to understand yet. Observing is learning at this stage. But for those who really wanna know...

The most famous experiment along these lines is when Galileo dropped different weight balls from the Leaning Tower of Pisa. You could look that up in Wikipedia or probably find a children's book about it.

You'll also find the same topic under Newton's second law, which is,
force = mass x acceleration,
or, acceleration = mass / force.
So in the case of the tissue & the quarter, each force and its mass are *both* similar -- smaller in the one case and larger in the other case -- canceling themselves out. You might find a clearer explanation than mine if you did a google search. A quick one I did came up with this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/mmedia/ ... s/efff.cfm

[Actually, the experiment you did used the boxes in order to get *rid* of any possible secondary force that could change the results -- friction or air resistance in this case.]

HTH,
Julie
Julie, married 29 yrs, finding our way without Shane
(http://www.CaringBridge.org/visit/ShaneHansell)
Reid (21) college student; used MFW 3rd-12th grades (2004-2014)
Alexandra (29) mother; hs from 10th grade (2002+)
Travis (32) engineer; never hs
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

Jennifer,

This experiment is on early elementary level to briefly show some effects of Gravity. That's the topic in the lesson. Not really about air resistance. So, the experiment isn't the most super precise experiment. But, it serves well to get you thinking about stuff. And that's a good thing in science.

so, I can't really provide a quick/easy air resistance lesson from this experiment. The way I read the text box on the experiment is that we already know that air resistance exists. And the boxes are there to reduce that effect. We can't do a vacuum tube experiment in the house easily. So the boxes help to "cancel" the air resistance and show that the gravity pulls on the objects.

So, don't get too tripped up on a quick and easy sub for vacuum. It isn't intended for laser precise details at this age.

ok... that means, that when you learn more about air resistance, you'll learn that weight/mass is a factor in air resistance. That's kinda why you do the quarter and tissue paper . Mass does come into part of the whole ability to resist air.

But the lesson is about gravity. And when air resistance is not a factor (such as with the pretend vacuum setting with the boxes), then the only force acting on the quarter and tissue paper is gravity. That is the actual thing that they are trying to get across with step #4 and the explanation. The boxes have virtually the same air resistance. Technically, they don't, but for close enough purposes, the air resistance between the boxes is so hard to detect that it doesn't become a factor.

If you really want higher level fun with it, NASA has some cool stuff
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/ffall.html
If you want some fun at elementary level, check our Science Jim's full gravity movie
http://www.sciencejim.com/fullgravitymovie.html

Does that help to explain the experiment's purpose? It's a gravity experiment that attempts to take away the factor of air resistance to show that when air resistance is not an issue, then the only force acting on the falling objects is gravity. When air resistance is an issue, mass (weight) does have a factor and role in the whole thing.

-crystal
cbollin

Unread post by cbollin »

and what gravity talk wouldn't be complete without everyone singing that favorite Physics/Christmas carol classic (not my original.. I can't take credit for this one. They've been around a long time:
http://www.haverford.edu/physics/songs/ ... carols.htm )

(to the tune of Jingle Bells)

Grav i ty Grav i ty
keeps us on the ground
apple fell on Newton
he said what goes up must come down

Grav i ty Grav i ty
mass times 9 point 8
remember travel very fast
if earth you must escape
:)

you're doing great. you're getting the experiments done. They are helping you to explore the world and observe. or as my hubby once wrote over here:
  • "Elementary science instruction and materials should not be expected to convey laser-precise scientific detail. The principal objectives of elementary-level science should be to teach students to be curious about the world around them, to train them to observe, and to provide an introduction to the scientific method. Teaching facts about the constitution and behavior of the physical world is secondary (but by no means negligible). "
so you, as teacher, also got to be curious about the world around you. You're doing great!!!!!!
-crystal
beaglemamma2008

Unread post by beaglemamma2008 »

cbollin wrote:Does that help to explain the experiment's purpose? It's a gravity experiment that attempts to take away the factor of air resistance to show that when air resistance is not an issue, then the only force acting on the falling objects is gravity. When air resistance is an issue, mass (weight) does have a factor and role in the whole thing.
Yes, yes, yes! Now I get it!

Thank you so much -- all three of you -- for taking the time to reply. Sooo ... which one of you wants to volunteer to be at my house once a week for science experiment time? :-)

And BTW, Crystal, cute gravity jingle. (Pun fully intended.) :-)
Jennifer, mom to:
Hannah, 8. Finished and loved K, 1st, & Adventures. Currently loving ECC.
Millie, 5. Finished Pre-K and K "lite." Currently playing her way through K "for real."

http://www.trainingthemup.blogspot.com
jhagberg

Unread post by jhagberg »

When we did this experiment I demonstrated the "air resistance" part this way: Lay both objects on the table (tissue paper and quarter) and gently blow on them. The tissue paper is blown away easily, and the quarter doesn't budge. The same is true when they are falling. The quarter easily pushes through the air, but the tissue paper is slowed down (pushed or blown) by the air around it. Your breath is stronger than tissue paper, and so is the air around us.
Joyce

I am the mother of 4 boys, and I've been using MFW since 2010. :-)